Classic Movies

Sophie said:
if you can tell me what are the english titles of the Hithcock movies, thanx !!
how ironic...i once did a project in my french class about hitchcock in french so i had to learn all the french titles...many of them dont really translate exactly(seours froides=vertigo, les enchîanes=notorious...)

aaaaagh i just saw some really freaky old hitchcocks(secret agents, sabotage, and the lodger)...first of all if you know peter lorre imagine him trying to pass as mexican and throwing toilet paper...sabotage was just creepy and really really sad(this cute little kid and a puppy die)...they were good tho...

Was that skinny Lorre or chubby Lorre? (I need to know to properly picture this . . .) I don't think I've seen that one yet . . .
:P

marshalllovr4eva said:
Kalan said:
sorry this is from some time back...also fred and ginger in royal wedding. that's the one with the really famous scene of fred dancing on the ceiling! also, i just saw rear window last night for the first time in a long time. made me think of more jimmy stewart (mr. smith goes to washington!) and grace kelly's in it too. she's my all-time favorite. so beautiful!
...actually...and sadly...royal wedding doesnt have fred and ginger(his amour is played by anne churchill), but he does dance on the ceiling and its brilliant...
i love jimmy stewart! and grace kelly! so elegant and glamorous!!!!
ooh my goodness thank you for correcting me! (happy to find someone else who knows that movie...)

here's my list:

There's No Business Like Show Business
Funny Girl
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
West Side Story
You Were Never Lovelier (with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth)
Gone With The Wind
What's Up, Doc? (this one's more like early seventies but oh well!)
Sabrina (the one with Audrey Hepburn, not the remake)
Roman Holiday
White Christmas!

there are a lot more, seeing as how I've basically grown up watching Marilyn sashay and Fred tap. One accumulates quite a few favorites over time....

hehe, is it just me or am i one of those ppl who dont' watch that many old movies?
I love Gone with the Wind and The Sound of Music, but that's about the only two that i really considers 'old'...
--Mandy :angelic:

Has anyone seen the Court Jester? It stars Danny Kaye in it, I think it is really funny. Angela Lansbury (voice of Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast) is in it when she is betweeen 17 and 20. It is crazy!

omg, I love that movie! the first time I watched it I was like seven, so I didn't really recognize Angela Lansbury, but I still loved it!

Get it? got it. good.

and then the part in the beginning, "two of me, three of me, four, five, six of me....sorry, no more of me." :lol: great movie.

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one who has ever seen it! "Not the purple pimpernel! Yes, the purple pimpernel!" or "I can snap you in and I can snap you out!" It is such a funny cute show. I thought I'd be the only one who had seen it. I believe it was made in 1956 but I may be wrong.

Another good Danny Kaye is the Inspector General, have you seen that?!?

nope, but now that you've recommended it, I think I will! :D

there's also another great comedian who shows up in a couple of old movies.... I forgot his name but he's great in There's No Business Like Show Business...

i love the court jester too!!!...and inspector general LOL! theyre so great...dont see hans christian anderson tho, its terrible, except for one cute song

the guy youre thinking of is donald o'connor(also in singing in the rain) and yes theres no business like show business is in annie get youre gun but the the only relation between annie get your gun and the theres no business like show business is the song

To Kill a Mockingbird was my fav of his. I suppose you could consider it "classic."

But there are so many other classics I'd love to see! lol...no way I'd remember which ones!

Nad said:
I know who you are talking about, but the name won't come. Isn't that song sung in Annie Get Your Gun?
yeah, actually. and then later they made a movie with a lot of the same Irvin Berlin songs. it was pretty good, and marilyn monroe even had a part in it!!

Cool!

I loved G. Peck. When did he die? :( To Kill a Mocking Bird is considered a classic in the movies and as a book. It was very good!

I dont' know a lot of classics but here's my list anyways

It's a wonderful life
Sound of Music
Holiday Inn
The preachers wife( i think that's what it's called?)

I saw Gone With the Wind cause i had to do it for extra credit one year but it totally sucked

Back