~Crossroads~

~Part 9~

Your life is supposed to flash before your eyes, even when you find out the bitter truth and reality that you’re dying of some god damned disease that shouldn’t even exist. That’s not the truth however, atleast, not for me.

Maybe my life hasn’t been worthy of the review. All I’m worried about is getting home so I can pay my f***ing electric bill so I don’t have to freeze in that stone cold apartment of mine.

Bad news still affects me, but only for a mere minute until I realize my life is already screwed up. Shi* happens. It doesn’t matter anymore. What am I supposed to do? Go cry on Oprah’s multi-million dollar shoulder and tell her how hard my life is and how miserable I am?

F*** that.

If I die then I die. It’s fate right? Right?

He walks down the street, trying to figure out at exactly what point his life went wrong. There must have been a way he could have prevented it. He probably felt too low in order to keep his shi* straight. Now he was paying for it.

He had always had a vivid imagination, which also meant he was able to recall memories with such detail and actually see them in his mind. It could be a blessing, and at the same time a curse.

Often times he’d think about the good points of his life. Which was good, but also bad. Most of them included Sydney Bristow. He was so addicted to her while they were together, that he didn’t even have to try and be a nice guy, he just automatically was.

She was like crack, easy to do but hard to let go of.

Alright, that sounded f***ed up.

Chicago is a beautiful city, smaller than New York but clean for the most part. He is a certified people watcher. Sometimes he’ll spend hours sitting on a park bench watching other people go to work or go shopping, having normal lives that he once had. Seeing a happy couple makes him sick, cause he once had the same thing, but at younger more naive age.

He walks through the doors of a large high-rise and walks through the foyer before heading to the elevators. He presses the buttons and waits as people line up behind him carrying briefcases and folders, and other necessities for the business world. Once the doors open people briskly push past him and file into the elevator quickly. They all stare at him as he stands on the other side of the doors, looking on unbelievably.

“What’s your f***ing hurry? You’re not dying.” He says before pressing the button for another one. He gets on alone this time, taking the car all the way up to the thirtieth floor and then getting off. He walks through the frosted doors to his psychiatrist office and doesn’t even bother to sign-in as he makes his way down the hallway to Dr. Greene’s office.

“Mr. Vaughn, he’s with a patient. You’ll have to wait.”

The receptionist, Stacy, tries to stop him, but he opens the door and steps in.

“It’s 5:31. My session began a minute ago.” He says as he takes off his jacket.

The other patient in the room looks confused and panicked and Dr. Greene rolls his eyes.

“Benjamin, I’m sorry, but we’ll have to finish this up next week. You did good today though.”

Benjamin gets up from the chair and Dr. Greene sees him out while Michael sits down in his spot.

“Nice and warm.” He says as he tries to get comfortable.

Greene comes back in and closes the door.

“You’re a selfish jacka**.”

“Really? How so?”

“I was still in session with that man.”

“I like to keep my appointments.” Michael says as he rests his foot on his opposite knee and stares at his psychiatrist.

“Months ago you left this office with the intention to never come back.”

Michael smiles coyly. “I figured you were dying to know the rest of my story. If I was a writer I might have made a novel out of it.”

“We have an hour then, you better start talking. I’m charging you for every minute.”

“Where do you want me to start?” Michael asks as he takes out a cigarette. He doesn’t light it; instead he just lets it hang from his lips.

“You said you and Sydney became close within a month. What finally pushed you across the line?” Phillip Greene asks.

“Pain. The same thing that always brings people together. She lost one of her best friends at the end of senior year.” He closes his eyes.

~Flashback~

She had been her normal self during the day when she was around friends. Laughing at stupid jokes and participating in class without doubtful hesitation. But when her back is turned away from everyone, when she’s alone and is sure no one is watching, her mood changes and her eyes fall. Her apparent happiness quickly turns to sadness and uncertainty. That’s how it had been for the last three days.

He hadn’t seen the façade until Tuesday. It’s when she was already worn down and tired of hiding the fact that she was upset about something. They were all sitting at the large twelve person lunch table in the cafeteria when Krissy called Sydney out after seeing her friend in a daze.

“Syd, what’s wrong? You alright?”

Everyone at the table was quiet for a moment as their eyes were on Sydney.

The moment the question registered with her, tears sprung to her sad brown eyes.

“Syd…”

“I’m sorry.” She says brokenly as she gets up, her untouched lunch left behind. Krissy gets up and quickly follows Sydney out of the cafeteria and into the hallway.

“What was that all about?” Chad, Krissy’s boyfriend asks with confused look.

Michael stands up and watches the two girls through the wall of windows that cover the cafeteria from floor to ceiling. Krissy holds Sydney in the hallway for a moment while she cries on her friends shoulder as passers by watch with confusion. But a few moments later she pulls away from her best girlfriend and shakes her head as she tries to wipe her tears away.

Her head turns slightly and she meets Michael’s worried eyes through the glass. Out of the corner of his eye he sees Krissy walking back in and heading towards him.

“She wants you.” She tells him.

“What’s wrong?” He asks.

“I don’t know. She won’t tell me.” Krissy says. “She feels safe talking to you. She needs you right now.”

“Alright, our books….”

“I’ll put ‘em in my locker man, just go.” Chad says.

Michael nods a quick thanks before walking quickly out of the cafeteria and over to Sydney. As soon as he gets within a few feet she starts shaking and crying again.

“Sydney…”

She puts her arms around his waist and hugs him tight as she buries her face in his school baseball t-shirt. He holds her tight, trying to pull her impossibly closer to him as she cries and sobs. People still stare as they pass, and he looks around for the deans before turning and leading her out of the building.

In silence he brings her to the track and sits her down in the bleachers before sitting down and facing her with his hands on her knees.

“Syd, you gotta tell me what’s going on. I can’t help you if I don’t know.” He tells her softly.

She nods and leans forward on her knees, putting her hands to her forehead as she tries to tell him.

“You remember Shawn?”

“The Indian kid?” He asks. His name wasn’t really Shawn, but he wasn’t fond of his given name, he was only known as Shawn.

“He’s Pakistani.”

“Sorry.” He says. “Yeah, I remember him. He graduated early to go to college.”

“He was one of my best friends.” She says.

“Syd…what do you mean ‘was’?”

She pulls back slightly and meets his concerned yet understanding eyes.

“He went to visit his family, he was there….there was a….I don’t know if he’s alive.” She sobs again and totally loses it.

“God, Sydney.” He moves to sit next to her instead and her hugs her awkwardly, holding her and trying to soak up some of whatever she’s feeling at the moment.

“There was an earthquake…a lot of people died, Vaughn.” Her fingers clench the material of his shirt and her nails dig into his skin slightly, but he doesn’t care, he can’t care.

After a few moments he pulls away from her slightly and frames her face with his hands, brushing the tears away with his thumbs.

“I’m gonna take you home okay?” He asks. “You shouldn’t be here.”

She nods slightly and he helps her up. He sneaks her out into the parking lot and they get into his small pick-up. He quickly leaves the parking lot and drives the ten minutes to her home in Itasca. Once he gets there he pulls into the driveway and they sit silent for a moment.

“You gonna be okay?” He asks as he looks at her through concerned eyes.

She’s silent for a moment. “My parents think I’m crazy. Yesterday they told me that he’s probably fine, and not to worry. How am I supposed to do that?” She looks at him. “He’s one of my best friends.” The tears start to fall again.

Michael turns off the engine. “Come on.” He says as he gets out of his truck. He closes the door and waits for her near the front of the Chevy before wrapping an arm around her shoulders. He walks to the front door with her and she bends down and plucks an extra key from under a planter. She unlocks the door and they both step inside.

Without speaking a word they enter her Itasca home and she disappears after telling him she needs to use the washroom. He takes a seat on her couch and looks around the room as he waits by himself.

~End Flashback~

Phillip stares at Vaughn for a moment, a soft expression on his face, but his eyebrows arched slightly over the rim of his glasses.

“What happened after that?”

Michael stares at the bookshelf across the room from him, as if trying to focus on remembering.

“I held her until we both fell asleep on the couch. Her parents got home like…three hours later. Her father wasn’t too pleased with the fact that we were alone together.”

He plucks the dry cigarette from his mouth and looks at it.

“It’s funny, whenever she’s around me my addiction seems to deplete, as if it doesn’t exist anymore.”

Phillip’s silent for a moment. “So what happened after her parents came home?”

“She walked out with me to my truck and she hugged me for a good five minutes. I told her I loved her, of course, at the time it only went as far as friendship.”

~**~**~**~

“Good-night Mrs. Bristow, Mr. Bristow!” Michael gives a polite smile and wave in the direction of Sydney’s mother and father.

“Good-night, Michael!” Laura responds very warm heartedly, Jack just gives a wave.

Sydney and Michael walk out the front door and down the steps to the front of Michaels car. The sun is just starting to set over the tree line, and the beautiful weather has kids playing soccer in the park across the street. However, the warm temperature does not cause Sydney to take of the Blackhawk’s hoody that Michael had slipped on her when she commented she was cold. It provided her a certain level of comfort only his arms could give her.

“Are you sure you feel better? I can come back after dinner.” He tells her as she stares across the street at the kids running around. He can tell she’s trying not to cry.

“I’m fine.” She tells him. “I’ll be fine.”

He gives her a slight nod, she still isn’t looking at him. He carefully turns her head by putting a finger under her chin. She finally looks into his eyes and he smiles ever so slightly.

“I love you, Sydney. It hurts me to see you feeling sad. I want to make you feel better, I just…I don’t know that I can do very much.”

She stares up at him with teary eyes as she rests her hand on the hand of his that’s currently cupping her cheek.

“Michael, you have no idea how much you’ve done for me within the last two minutes.” She tells him. “You’re my best friend.”

He smiles softly. “You’re my best friend too, Syd.”

“Sydney! Dinner!” Laura’s voice interrupts them for a moment.

“Coming!” She calls in return. She turns back to Michael. “I have to…”

“I know.” He tells her. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” He leans forward and plants a soft kiss on her forehead, he lingers for a moment and then pulls away.

“Good-night.” He tells her before walking to his truck.

She simply gives him a dimpled smile and a wave. His night is made knowing he was able to make her smile, and her night was made knowing he was the only one able to make her smile.

~**~**~**~

“Why did you tell her you loved her?”

“Because, I think she needed to hear it from someone. She was hurting, the only way to fight that sort of pain is with something completely opposite. Hell, maybe if people told me they loved me I wouldn’t be as cut off as I am now.”

“When’s the last time someone told you they loved you?”

“Well, the last genuine time was when my mother and sister were getting ready to leave for France. My sister told me she loved me, and my mother told me she hated me. I know she didn’t mean it, she just needed someone to blame, and she still does.”

“Have you talked to her lately?”

“No, she has my information, but she makes no effort to contact me. I’ve tried calling, but no one ever answers. I gave up a long time ago. I got tired of the drama of it all, just gave in and picked myself up and walked on.”

Michael sighs slightly and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Um…I think we’ll have to cut today short, I’m tired.” He says as he gets up and throws his cigarette in the garbage.

“I can call you a cab…”

“That’s not necessary. Besides, I think I’ve convinced myself that the more time I spend out in the cold maybe it’ll freeze this damned disease and blow it to all hell. See you next week, if I’m still breathing.”

He walks out without another sarcastic comment. Michael Vaughn doesn’t see it, but the truth of the matter is, he’s slowly becoming human again. He’s slowly rising through the thick fog plaguing his life. He’s beginning to realize that this time, he is going to lose.

:confused: What was this story about again?? *goes back to first page to see* .......... OH!!! I remember.... It was Vaughn with a really bad life and he almost died... And look!!! It's an update!!! Yay!!

Yeah, Vaughn's life hasn't gotten any better since the last update.... I'm confused. What happened between him and his mom?? How come they don't talk to each other anymore??

He walks out without another sarcastic comment. Michael Vaughn doesn’t see it, but the truth of the matter is, he’s slowly becoming human again. He’s slowly rising through the thick fog plaguing his life. He’s beginning to realize that this time, he is going to lose.
Aw. That's good to know. Vaughn definitly needs to start getting out of this rut...

Great chapter. Thanks for the pm. Update soon!!!

Ohh, I'm happy you updated. ;) This fic is so angsty but it's a good angst. I feel so bad for him though. I've never read a fic where Vaughn is so sad and bitter and f***ed up. :P Great job on the update! ^_^

lol. Alright, i know it's been forever since i updated. So basically, him and Sydney were an item back in highschool for like...five minutes. They haven't seen eachother in six years, she's engaged to a jackass(in Vaughn's eyes) and his father was killed and his sister was raped after a pyscopathic pervert attacked his family while he was out at a party. His mother blames him for not being there to do anything, that's why she hates him.

And now Vaughn has lung cancer and realizes he's still in love with Sydney who lives miles and miles away in New York.

:confused: What was this story about again?? *goes back to first page to see* .......... OH!!! I remember.... It was Vaughn with a really bad life and he almost died... And look!!! It's an update!!! Yay!!
i had to do that too!!!! i feel so bad for vaughn!!! he has had a hard life!!!

I was very excited to see an update for this story. Thanks for the PM.

I liked the chapter, and that we get a little more of the history.

My two favorite parts were:
He presses the buttons and waits as people line up behind him carrying briefcases and folders, and other necessities for the business world. Once the doors open people briskly push past him and file into the elevator quickly. They all stare at him as he stands on the other side of the doors, looking on unbelievably.

“What’s your f***ing hurry? You’re not dying.” He says before pressing the button for another one.
and
He plucks the dry cigarette from his mouth and looks at it.

“It’s funny, whenever she’s around me my addiction seems to deplete, as if it doesn’t exist anymore.”

Nicely done!

kristina! i am so glad that you updated this, coz for me, this is my favorite. glad that vaughn came back to his doctor. with regards to his disease, he already has months to live right? will there be a sort of miracle? or will he end up dying alone, never having the chance to be with sydney again?

i remember that vomit incident at his apartment... will there be another s/v moment? or will he let her slip away this time? or will he fight for her? too many questions... :lol:

thanks for the update!

WOOHOO! An update! :woot:

:happydance:

Okay, okay... What to say after an update like that? :Ponder:

First off, I loved every second of it. I've never actually read an update of yours where I haven't loved it actually. They're always so brilliantly written and interesting, even if nothing particularly big or exciting happens, you know? Probably why I look forward to your PMs so much :P

I especially love how different a character you've made Vaughn to be. He's different, yet realistic, and you characterize him so well that I'm bringing myself to believe he really is that person... Which is rather scary— you're that good.

And the flashback. I absolutely love the flashback. With them, you're sorta re-creating the past and Sydney, without her actually being there... *happy sigh* God, how I love this fic.

Anyway, in case you couldn't tell... I loved this update. Hope we get more soon... :angelic:

Cai
x

Great update I'm glad you updated it's been a while.
Very angsty as always but very good. I'm glad that Vaughn isn't going to let his cancer stop him from trying to figure out what happened with his life. I hope Syd is going to be around soon. Thanks for the PM and I can't wait for more.

~Part 10~

His eyes open slowly. He stares at the ceiling of his bedroom for a moment before running a hand across his clammy face. He sighs softly before sitting up and turning on the bed so he’s able to plant his bare feet on the cold ground.

“Everything always works out.” He says to himself. He stares at the beat-up hardwood floors for a moment. “You just have to let it.”

He leans forward and puts his head in his hands. He stays that way for quite some time before his cell phone rings. He turns his head slightly and stares at it on the nightstand. He lets his voice-mail get it.

After a moment his phone vibrates and he picks it up and dials for voice-mail.

“You have one new message.”

“Michael, this is Doctor Williams from the University of Loyola. Doctor Zuckerman is a friend of mine from Resurrection Medical Center and informed me on your condition. I’d like to talk to you about certain treatment. After viewing your x-rays….I think my team may be able to help you. If you’d please give me a call back. I’m here Monday through Friday, six in the morning to six in the evening. My number is (708)216-9016. Thank you.”

He closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose before pushing himself up off the bed and walking over to the window. He looks down at the nearly empty sidewalks, but spots a lone couple standing on a street corner holding eachother tightly, trying to feed off eachothers warmth and fight the cold. He stares at them for a moment, watching them as they stand there.

It’s then that he realizes, before he leaves this earth, things need to be set straight.

~**~**~**~

“Sydney! Are you almost done with your article!?”

“Just about!” Sydney Bristow yells through her open office door. Her fingers move endlessly as she transfers her thought to her computer screen.

“You have five minutes!”

“Take a chill pill, Joey! Jesus Christ!” She hits the button on her mouse violently and her printer comes to life in mere seconds, spitting out pages.

Her secretary pops her head in. “Sydney, please don’t throw anything at me, but, Jacob is on line two….”

“NO!” Sydney yells.

“Yes…”

“NO! Tell him I’m busy and that he’s still sleeping on the couch.”

“He also sent you roses; they’re out on my desk.”

“Reject them!”

“I already signed for them.”

Sydney groans as she grabs the papers from the printer trays and walks out of her office in a huff. She walks into her editor’s office and throws the papers on his desk in a hurry before leaving.

“Sydney!”

“Don’t talk to me right now!” She yells back before walking to her secretary’s desk. She grabs the flowers and gives them to the woman delivering the mail. “Here, compliments of a jerk.” She says before grabbing the phone and hitting the button marked line two.

“Hey, did you get my…”

“No, I didn’t get anything. Stop trying to make this better, Jake. You’re still sleeping on the couch and you’re still in trouble. You’re making me even more pissed off as we speak, and you’re not even talking. I’m busy, don’t call again.” She hangs up and sighs.

“Rough day?”

“Sometimes I just want to stuff his head in a toilet.”

“Which one?” Her secretary asks with a smile as Joey comes walking out of his office.

“Both.” Sydney says before walking over to him.

“Bristow this is…”

”I’m taking my break.” She says as she walks past him to her office.

“I was going to say well written!”

“An hour of silence, that’s all I’m asking for.” She says as she slams her door shut. The sounds of the busy office outside are drowned out and she takes a seat in her chair behind her desk. She turns slightly and looks out over the snowy city. It’s still very much alive, even in the seasonal condition.

Fifteen minutes into her break she hears the voice of her secretary.

“Sydney, there’s a man here to see you.”

“I’m on my break, Becky. I don’t want to see Jake if it’s him.”

Becky comes back over the intercom.

“It’s not Jacob. He says it’s important…” Becky’s voice is slightly softer. “What did you say your name was?”

“Michael.”

Sydney’s eyes shoot open and she turns in her chair.

“Send him in.” She immediately replies.

A few moments later there’s a knock at her door and she gets up and walks over to open it. Without hesitating she lets it swing open and he smiles softly at her.

“Hey, there.”

“Hi.” She says. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m not bothering you am I?”

“No.” She says quickly. She pulls him inside and closes the door. As she turns around to face him she crosses her arms across her chest.

“Sorry for coming unexpectedly.” He says. “I…uh….I just…needed to see you once more, there are some things I need to explain.”

“You don’t have too…”

“I need too.” He tells her.

She’s silent.

“I’m just…I’m just gonna start from the beginning.” He says. “After we graduated, I thought I could take the fact that you were leaving, and I did for awhile. I was fine with having a long distance relationship because I was in love with you.”

She takes in a sharp breath as she watches him.

“A lot of things changed after you left, Syd.” He runs a finger under his nose in a nervous fashion. “Um…this guy…one night, I went out with a few friends…and this guy…” He shakes his head. “He killed my dad, Syd. He…raped my sister, and when my dad tried to stop it…he shot him.”

She stares at him in pain.

“That was about a year after we graduated, in September. My mother blamed me for what happened, and she took my sister away to France to live with my father’s sister. I just lost it after that. I went totally off course, and that’s when I cheated on you.”

“They caught the guy that did it, the guy that tore my family apart. He was sentenced to death two years ago. But it was appealed, and now the case is in the process of being heard again. For the last five months I’ve been ordered to a shrink. Apparently they have this crazy idea that I’m going to go psycho and kill him if I get the chance. Which I wouldn’t mind doing.”

He shakes his head. “I lied to you.” He tells her. “My life…it sucks, Syd. Everything I ever wanted I’ve been dealt the opposite. I had tryouts with the Blackhawk’s four years ago, and I blew out my knee on the first day. They gave me a job though. I drive the f***ing zamboni. I dropped out of school because I couldn’t pay for it anymore. To top it all off I’m dying.”

“Michael…”

Her hands come up to his face and she strokes his cheeks lightly. He’s slightly confused at her actions until his vision goes blurry. He can’t remember the last time he cried, it had to be when he was a child.

Her arms wrap around his back and she pushes at the back of his head, causing his face to fall into her neck as he cries.

She isn’t sure how long they stay that way exactly. But it has to be quite some time considering that the sky was clear and it’s now snowing once again.

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” She asks as she runs her hands across his back soothingly.

“I couldn’t.” He says. “I wanted too. I’m sorry.” He pulls away slightly and takes in a deep breath as he finds his ground again. “I’m so sorry. I never wanted to lose you.”

“You haven’t.” She tells him. “Some things just take time. Everything will work out.” She smiles softly. “You’re the one that told me that, you should try believing it.”

“Easier said than done.”

“Not in all cases.” She shakes her head and is silent for a short moment. She suddenly looks very confident in herself. “I love you.”

Suddenly it seems as if she’s repaying him for everything he did for her in the past.

Kristina,

You could write a story about gym socks and I would read it...this story is awesome, please keep writing it...and you know, I am in JBAG AA (Joe's Bar and Grill AA) so, keep writing that one too, until you are like 95? Mkay? Do you need me to write you another poem? It can be arranged... later chicky.

Crinxie

Totally awesome!
I'm so glad that Vaughn explain eveything to her and that she listen to him. Something tells me that Vaughn's life is going to become better after this at least that's what I hope. Thanks for he PM.

If i had everyday to write then i wouldn't have a problem. Too many ideas and so little time.
I totally know what you mean.

omg, soo great, i love it all 👍
i could wait forever for an update and it's still awesome :D
please continue :smiley:
thanx for the pm
can't wait for more :D :D
update as soo as you can

Back