Politics Depression

One of my psych profs (since my major is psychology) told the class that severely depressed people actually are less likely to kill themselves... because they just don't care. They don't care whether they die, or whether they live. Complete and total apathy.

Existentialist said:
One of my psych profs (since my major is psychology) told the class that severely depressed people actually are less likely to kill themselves... because they just don't care. They don't care whether they die, or whether they live. Complete and total apathy.
you know that actually makes sense

Kaiserin said:
SiriCerasi said:
im not sure if this is exaclty what youre trying to say, but i agree people who are really going to kill themselves arent going to tell people in my opinion ^_^
That, among other things, but yes. If you intend to do it, you won't go around yelling that you are planing on commiting suicide.
yeah i mean... you just wouldnt ^_^

SiriCerasi said:
Existentialist said:
It does make sense. However most of the people who commit suicide suffer of acute depression, and the reason they do it, is because they stop caring about the world, they can't find a reason to go on, so they end their lives.
The real problem begins when you can't find something/someone to hold on to, when nothing matters anymore, because if your mind nothing matters, neither does your life, or weather you are alive or dead.

Kaiserin said:
[quote name='sark's girl' date='Oct 12 2003, 01:00 PM'] im not joking. . .
ive been deppressed ever since i was born and hi Elizabeth were about the same age. i guess it has 2 do with alot of things like me being an only child and some personal stuff
That is not something you should even be saying. I don't know what "some personal stuff" means, but being an only child is not an excuse. I know is a lot to take, I'm an only child too, and sometimes you feel like all the eyes are on you, is like living in a fish tank, everyone is watching and expecting, and all you can think about is how you can't dessapoint them. But that is no reason to think about killing yourself. Like I said before, I don't know which are your personal problems, but we all have them, and we all can pull through, you are not the exception. [/quote]
i like all eyes being on me and im not afraid of dissapionting (can't spell) nebody

Kaiserin said:
SiriCerasi said:
Existentialist said:
It does make sense. However most of the people who commit suicide suffer of acute depression, and the reason they do it, is because they stop caring about the world, they can't find a reason to go on, so they end their lives.
The real problem begins when you can't find something/someone to hold on to, when nothing matters anymore, because if your mind nothing matters, neither does your life, or weather you are alive or dead.
Yep. I agree.

I think the last time I tried suicide was because I felt like my life was stuck in a rut. I was in a failing relationship with a guy that I was afraid of ending 'cause I didn't want to hurt him, I was living at home, my grades were good but my classes were easy, so I felt like I wasn't challenging myself.

sark said:
im not joking. . .
ive been deppressed ever since i was born and hi Elizabeth were about the same age. i guess it has 2 do with alot of things like me being an only child and some personal stuff
That is not something you should even be saying. I don't know what "some personal stuff" means, but being an only child is not an excuse. I know is a lot to take, I'm an only child too, and sometimes you feel like all the eyes are on you, is like living in a fish tank, everyone is watching and expecting, and all you can think about is how you can't dessapoint them. But that is no reason to think about killing yourself. Like I said before, I don't know which are your personal problems, but we all have them, and we all can pull through, you are not the exception. [/quote]
i like all eyes being on me and im not afraid of dissapionting (can't spell) nebody [/quote]
Then why do say you've been depressed since the day you were born? Maybe you should see a professional and talk it through. Death is something you shouldn't be playing with, it isn't game. How old are you anyway? You probably have your whole life ahead of you... you shouldn't be talking about suicide or death.

[quote name='sark's girl' date='Oct 12 2003, 06:57 PM']im 11 and i never said i started out as an only child[/quote]
No. What you said is that the reason you were considering it was, among other things, being an only child and personal problems.
So, you weren't always an only child? What happened to your siblin/s? Does that have to do with your suicidal thoughts? I still think you should look for professional help, it could help, it probably will.

sark said:
im not joking. . .
i like all eyes being on me and im not afraid of dissapionting (can't spell) nebody [/quote]
yeah i think thats why you're saying you'll commit suicide ^_^

I'm also an only child.... I've had suicidal thoughts, but I don't think being an only child had anything to do with it. I've considered sucicide before, come to think of it, just last night. Frankly, I think everybody considers it at one point. It's just the people who are depressed don't know how to stop thinking it and sometimes carry it out.

I remember somebody did a speech on suicide before. She said that it's only serious if you're not just thinking about it, you're also thinking about the how and when.

If anything comes up on AllAlias.com where someone is considering suicide, my/our plan is to give this link:

Suicide: Read This First

We will not/do not close any threads or assume anyone is just trying to get attention. It is more important to try and save a life than to worry about people trying to gain attention.

Charlie said:
Funny enough, I just read in a book that I'm reading for theology class that metanoia is a greek word that christians use for conversion... here's the direct quote from the book... "Other christians refer to the atonement in terms of conversion, indicating a person's turning away from sin and turning towards god. These christians especially like to use the greek word metanoia to express this conversion because the term indicates both a negative and a positive action of turning away from sin and a turning toward god."

Just thought I'd share. Kinda weird how I came across the word twice tonight after never hearing it before.

sure sometimes dying would seem like a better option, but think about what would happen afterwards...for atheists, nothing, worm food, etc. for christians....well....let's just say that living is a better option than where the soul will end up.... :thinking:

I've htought about suicide as I'm sure most people have. I'd never do it though, death scares me too much. I used to think, that the whole world was made up in our minds, after all, I've heard humans only use 10% of their brain power, what is the rest doing? So what would happen then after you died? You'd just be stuck in a small white room? Forever? Ick, I can't think of forever, it scares me too, the htought that everyone dies eventually calms me sometimes . . although its weird :rolleyes:

Throughout my last four years of high school, I went through periods of, if not quite depression, then at least depunhappiness and suicidalness, where the only thing stopping me from trying hurt myself was my intense pyshical cowardice. I was so screwed up and emotionally scared, that I was physically unable talk to my friends, my mother or the school counseler.

Thing is I didn't have anything happening to me at that time that would suggest those kind of feelings, I was accepted I had great friends, I was at a brillant school, my marks weren't that great but I was something of a slacker and if my family was completely unbearable at times, I still knew that they loved me.

So why want to end it all.

Because in at my first high, I underwent two years of the worst kind of bullying. Nothing physical, nothing that might have jump started my stubborness and made me fight back, just the grinding, emotionally crippling methods of exclusion, taunts, and just letting a person know that the only way they could ever fit in would be to change themselves so much they wouldn't know themselves anymore. It changed me, I went from a bright, happy if rather shy child to an introverted, desperately unhappy social misfit.

The thing that scares me the most is that I know that if i hadn't changed schools, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this, because if i could feel ready to kill myself when I was in a place were i was happy, then trying to survive in my first high school would have been impossible.

Phew!

I needed to get that off my chest.

Froggy

sark said:
im 11 and i never said i started out as an only child
No. What you said is that the reason you were considering it was, among other things, being an only child and personal problems.
So, you weren't always an only child? What happened to your siblin/s? Does that have to do with your suicidal thoughts? I still think you should look for professional help, it could help, it probably will. [/quote]
my brothers birthday is 10-26 he went off 2 fight in the war and he nevr came back [/quote]
OMI i'm so sorry!!! that's so sad!!! :depressed:

Back