Politics Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Jamison said:
No.  I think she was saying that it's surprising because she felt that Denmark and Norway who are neighbors of Sweden (which has the most athiests) would be numbers 1 and 2.  I, having family in Norway, felt that it would also probably be higher on the list given what I know about the country.  It was just a surprise to see Vietnam as number 2, right in the middle of those European countries...not because third world countries have to be religious :rolleyes:
[post="1398751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly! That was what I meant!

OT:On the Daily Show Jon Stewart was interviewing Dwight Yoakam and Dwight said he met Mel Gibson. And that Mel was a big fan of the band The Monkees. Then Jon said, "Wait, Mel Gibson loves the Monkees but doesn't believe in evolution?" :lol:

Just wondering, what else made you decide to not believe in Christianity? Because many assume that science and religion always contradict each other, but the Catholic Church accepts the big bang theory amd evolution as possible facts.
sorry for delaying my answer :blush: Well, the whole idea of the Bible and the efforts made to interpret what was supposedly done and written about however long ago never made much sense to me. Not to mention, the modern-day battle going on over same-sex marriages & stupid Republicans going against "separation of church and state"(which has become laughable nowadays)- although not effecting me- still manages to bug me.. On the idea of science & religion contradicting each other, I simply disagree with the thought of "7 days of Creation" and that everything was put on Earth exactly as they are, being chosen to disappear at a certain time..yeah, okay. So, I hope that made some kind of sense. :lol:

Now, I don't think you should change your views because of what these celebrities think, but I did think it was interesting to see who were self proclaimed athiests and agnostics. I've posted just some of the ones I came across. Some won't be a surprise, but others might be.

You can find a more extensive list here: http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Athiests: Lance Armstrong, Lewis Black, Marlon Brando, Warren Buffett, Bill Bryson, Noam Chomsky, Chumbawamba, Roger Ebert, Albert Einstein, Jodie Foster, Bill Gates, Ricky Gervais, Seth Green, Katharine Hepburn, Billy Joel, Angelina Jolie, Diane Keaton, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Sir Ian McKellen, Jack Nicholson, Ron Regan Jr., Keanu Reeves, Steven Soderbergh

Agnostics: Piers Anthony, Charles Darwin, Richard Dreyfuss, Matt Groening, Larry King, Dave Matthews, Sean Penn, James Taylor, Uma Thurman, Ted Turner

Ambiguous: David Bowie, George Clooney, David Duchovny, Dave Grohl, Stephen Hawking, Sir Edmund Hillary, Stan Lee, Monica Lewinsky, G. Gordon Liddy, Bill Mahr, Marilyn Manson, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Portman, Christopher Reeve, Andy Richter, William Shatner, Tool, Mark Twain, Gene Wilder, Bruce Willis

Don't they mean Bill Maher? :D I know that he believes in some force but his feelings towards religion as a whole is not so ..positive lol I know that Bruce Willis is a conservative so there is a good chance that he might be Christian.

sugababyboo said:
Don't they mean Bill Maher? :D  I know that he believes in some force but his feelings towards religion as a whole is not so ..positive lol I know that Bruce Willis is a conservative so there is a good chance that he might be Christian.
[post="1405583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

hehee :blush: That actually was probably my poor typing.

And as far as Bruce Willis goes, here's the quote from him about religion:

"Organized religions in general, in my opinion, are dying forms," he says. "They were all very important when we didn't know why the sun moved, why weather changed, why hurricanes occurred, or volcanoes happened," he continues. "Modern religion is the end trail of modern mythology. But there are people who interpret the Bible literally. Literally!" he says incredulously. "I choose not to believe that's the way. And that's what makes America cool, you know?"

jacs29 said:
sorry for delaying my answer  :blush:  Well, the whole idea of the Bible and the efforts made to interpret what was supposedly done and written about however long ago never made much sense to me. Not to mention, the modern-day battle going on over same-sex marriages & stupid Republicans going against "separation of church and state"(which has become laughable nowadays)- although not effecting me- still manages to bug me.. On the idea of science & religion contradicting each other, I simply disagree with the thought of "7 days of Creation" and that everything was put on Earth exactly as they are, being chosen to disappear at a certain time..yeah, okay.  So, I hope that made some kind of sense.  :lol:
[post="1403941"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Roman Catholics do NOT believe that the world was created in 6 days. we understand that the creation story is just a story.

as for the Church and State thing, for some people, "Church" is part of their lives. this is kinda a conundrum. by allowing gay marriages, you are offending Christians. by NOT allowing it, you're offending homosexuals. i dunno...sounds shady to me.

the_alliance said:
Roman Catholics do NOT believe that the world was created in 6 days. we understand that the creation story is just a story.

as for the Church and State thing, for some people, "Church" is part of their lives. this is kinda a conundrum. by allowing gay marriages, you are offending Christians. by NOT allowing it, you're offending homosexuals. i dunno...sounds shady to me.
[post="1405681"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Church is part of people's lives, but not everyone. When there is a separation of church and state then that separation should exist.

And it doesn't just offend homosexuals. I'm certainly not gay, but I don't think it's fair that I have the right to marry and they don't. I find it insulting and offending that they can't marry when straight people can.

It seems like this shouldn't be about the church aspect. Nobody has ever given me a good reason (one that doesn't involve calling it 'icky') as to why it should be illegal, without citing the bible.

Not everyone believes in or agrees with the bible so laws shouldn't be based soley on what it says in there. Thus the reason why a separation of church and state should and does exist.

Why are christians offended by gay marriages? It´s actually none of their business. If they want to marry, let them! It´s not the christian who has to be in a gay marriage. this is really discrimination! It´s like saying black people can´t marry or that we should have specific laws against christians. Everyone should have the same rights. and I have one question to a christian who doesn´t believe in gay marriages: Why do you even bother if they get married or not, does it matter to you? does it affect your life?? I can´t understand that for one second.

Why do you even bother if they get married or not, does it matter to you? does it affect your life?? I can´t understand that for one second.

I think if you look in the gay marriage thread you'll see I explained it, without using the bible in terms of legal consequence and Devlinesque theory.

the_alliance said:
[post="1405681"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
that may be what you believe, but i know many catholics who believe that God created the Earth in 6 days.

noggi16 said:
I think if you look in the gay marriage thread you'll see I explained it, without using the bible in terms of legal consequence and Devlinesque theory.
[post="1406475"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
while it may be possible to argue against gay marriage in secular terms, the fact remains that many, in fact i would say most opponents are evangelical christians whose arguments are religious.

Kewii said:
Hey guys,

I'd prefer it if the same-sex topic was left for the same-sex thread.

Thanks
[post="1407310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes i understand that, but we´re discussing religion, christians and why their religion doesn't approve of same sex marriages.. so it has to do with both.. we're not really off topic..

Yes,

But I said I'd like the discussion to be kept in Same-Sex marriage.

Thank you.

besides. This topic is supposed to be about if you believe in god. Not if you believe in Christianity.

xdancer said:
that may be what you believe, but i know many catholics who believe that God created the Earth in 6 days.
[post="1407061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
the official teaching from the Vatican is that the world was NOT created in 6 days, so those other Catholics can believe what they want, but I'm gonna go with the Church on this one.

Kewii, if we are just allowed to discuss if we belive in god or not, we can't really discuss in this thread, and that's why we're here. We're not just discussing if we believe in christianity, also other religions and and arguments for and against beliveing in this versus evolution.. I don't think anyone discussing in this thread feels like we're off topic in any way, and just wondering, why do we have to follow the question in the topic so strictly.. in that case we would have to start a new topic for discussing the bible.. one for discussing christianity, one for catholicism, when we rather just discuss everything here.. and for the same sex thing.. maybe tht should be in that thread but I was just curious to know what religious people specifically think about gay marriages, and I don't think that's off topic when er're discussing religion, but sorry if it was..

Look, I never said that all of that discussion had to stop, yes I brought it up. But I was trying to make a point.

I specifically asked for the discussion on Same-Sex Marriage should be moved to the same-sex thread. The reason for this is people who come into Serious Discussion usually pick and chose what they want to read and reply to.

Some people will have no interest in a 'do you believe in god?' thread, but will want to read Same-Sex Marriage. So I asked you to move the discussion so people would find it under the title of same-sex marriage.

I also asked in hopes of providing more of a discussion for same-sex marriage.

And you could easily have asked what religious people think of same sex marriage in the same-sex marriage thread.

In the future please PM me if you have problems with a decision I make--instead of just making a topic even further off-topic.

Kewii

Back