evanescence at the ama's

sdmix

Cadet
i bought their cd and i really like it. i got it cause of the songs on daredevil. i didn't really like any of the other songs on the soundtrack so i got their cd instead. there are some things about them personally which have greatly disturbed me since after i bought their cd, but musically i really loved them. until the AMA's. i had heard from a number of people that Amy Lee was really bad live. but you have to hear it to believe it. the girl cannot sing. she was all over the place. couldn't decide when to sing chest tone or head tone. rarely was quite on key. and after the first chorus she sounded exhausted (and she wasn't even dancing around). i was so disapointed. and when Britney Spears (and others) are constantly under scrutiny because people claim they cannot really sing, Evanescence makes it through without even a tiny hint of critisizm. i find it extremely annoying. cause i'm a Britney fan as well. and it's unfair. but it seems to me that rock bands can get away with it, while pop artists cannot. i think it comes back to people saying that pop is all manufactured and "fake" while they claim that rock is "real". now Evanescence's songs are deeper than most pop fair i'll admit. but the musical/vocal talent of an artist really isn't what's being judged. it's image.

*i still do like Evanescence's cd, but i take a little less joy in it now than before i heard them live*

True, i hear what you are saying. I would have to agree that Amy and the band do seem to get stage fright or something whenever they perform live. But I don't think that you can accurately judget their talent on one performance. I went to one of their concerts a few months ago and they were SENSATIONAL! Amy sung just as good as on the CD, and it she wasn't lip singing because she changed a few of the lyrics just for fun. :D I'm just saying that they seem to get the jitters every time they perform in public. And who wouldn't? They've only been in the major spotlight for the last six or so months and they were just thrown into it all. They were a band for a LONG while before this but they only performed in small places, and in fact Amy Lee has been quoted as saying that she prefers playing smaller venues (like the concert in my city). And if you watched the VH1 special on them you could see that she is very talented when she sings (she sung acappella for a moment.) I see where you're coming from but you also have to see where they are coming from as well.

Em

That's what I also think too Em, like when they were doing a quick promo tour down here, she sounded awesome when it was just her and Ben with the guitar, I think they just need time to warm up, then they're all set, and also with experience they'll get better :smiley:

Back