Flight?

Sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know if there will be character flight in HJ? By either magic, Oleofishe, or some other beast for the purpose of travel?

First off, don't apologize ever for asking a question. We're a community of discussion. :smiley:

Past that, flight I am sure will be brought into the game. Hardly any games have sea travel except to get to piont A, to point B. Hero's Journey looks to change that. I would be very surprised if there was not some fort of flight, whether by air ship, or some other wierd device or creature. Definatly a possibility.

To add to what frosty has said their will be z axis movement ie flight. We won't have high level flight on release meaning if you want to fly like superman around the world then your outta luck on release.

But they will also be introducing a variety of pets to make this possible, what those are your guess is as good as mine. Later today I'll look for the article that states this for you.

I would like to see Z axis movment during combat not just travel, it was cool in cabal online the way bladers had jump attacks that launched them up in the sky and onto their opponenet, it was like a ranged melee attack. It would be cool to see verticle movement in Hero Journey.

Jumping attacks aren't quite the same as "flight" though... temporarily airborne maybe, but not flight.

I however, hope the oleafische is my airborne transport provider, and if anyone sticks him with an arrow, blasts him with magic, I hope the heavens open it's fury upon your head. :P

~ Jaraeth

be careful with what you fish, eh.. wish for. look at my sig. ;)
i always wondered how to use the expression "though" correctly. may you explain it in simple words?

Rubowsky said:
be careful with what you fish, eh.. wish for. look at my sig. ;)
i always wondered how to use the expression "though" correctly. may you explain it in simple words?

I don't know if there is a simple way of explaining it. We american's like to give normal words that mean one or two things, totally different meanings. To answer your question "though", I went to www.dictionary.com:

though
conj.:
1. Despite the fact that; although: He still argues, though he knows he's wrong. Even though it was raining, she walked to work.
2. Conceding or supposing that; even if: Though they may not succeed, they will still try. See Usage Note at although.

adverb:
1. However; nevertheless: Snow is not predicted; we can expect some rain, though.
2. Informal. Used as an intensive: Wouldn't that beat all, though?

I hope that helps...

~ Jaraeth

Though is short for Although which pretty much means the same as But. We americans like our language like that. Butchered and mind boggling.

Yup, english is the silliest language out there. Though, cough, through, slough... each one pronounced differently :rolleyes2: It's a wonder anyone can learn it as a second language.

compared to french i found it pretty easy to learn. but it was harder than italian.
well, i'm really not a language-genius. i'm just too lazy to really get into that learning-stuff.

Yikes! Four languages... yer a genius man! ;) I can muddle my way through a French conversation, but only if I don't talk alot and I still miss about 50% of the words, though I get the gist of it well enough. And I took a German written translation class so I know basics like das/der/die and the like but have to have the textbook and a dictionary in front of me to do it.

And sinec we seemed to have de-railed this thread... I've never played an MMO with flight before so no ideas on whether it should be in or not, and if so, how it should be implemented. It seems like the fish could have something to do with it though. The video floating around mentioned that they help us in some way... possibly long-distance transport?

being able to achieve personal flight would be cool, like a wizard spell that allows levitation anything that removes the feeling of being a led weight on the floor attatched to the world.

ok, let's get on-topic here. i think flying mounts are pretty hard to realize from a coder's perspective. they surely will have some kind of upper border. or they'll code an everquest II-flying carpet look-alike. really can't think of any simple way to really allow player characters to fly and change the z-axis just like they want.
would be hard to control, too. using the classical wasd-control.

Yikes! Four languages... yer a genius man!
nope, i'm european. it's ****ing babylon here! i'm not even able to understand my one folks.
besides, since english is the language i speak best, you can easily guess what my italian- and french- skills are good for: absolutely nothin'. ;)

I don't see any flight contols being any harder than swimming in most MMOs :smiley:
-----------------------------------------
It does go to seperate game in a way because officially SWG was designed with no z axis but they had flight with Jump to Lightspeed and I flew in that with WASD and a mouse for the most parts. A couple keys did a couple other things that helped but for the most part it was the same controls from walking to driving to flying.

good point. still, it would be gross if all players flew around the whole time.
try to find a specific character in a ball of flesh up in the sky. horrible. ;)

Has anyone here played Flyff? I hear it handled flight very well. Not sure though, since I couldn't actually get the game running...

Found It!

"HJ does feature combing up walls, sitting on ledges, hopping down and other interactions with the world. Some effects may enable a limited form of flight, but you are most likely to get off the ground with a flying mount. At launch we will not have high-altitude flying, but it might be part of an expansion." - Chris Moore

Back