For Better or Worse

Chapters 16 - 20

I think it's unrealistic if Sydney expects Henry to show much feeling towards the baby- either good or bad. He's 8 years old, he could care less, he knows a little girl isn't going to be a playmate or a companion to him.

I also get the impression that Sydney feels this baby is more hers than Michael's. Sydney already wants to spend more time with Annie than she did with Henry when he was born. Sydney was the only one who was allowed to name her. The difference between the two children when it comes to Sydney is, Henry may be her son and she has love for him, but Annie is Sydney's Princess, she'll lavish all her attention on the little girl.

Luckily, Henry is 8. He's getting to that age where his mother's preference won't effect him too much, as long as Michael supports him. At that age my two sons looked to their father.

Chapter 21

Yep, I'm right. Henry could care less about his sister. And Sydney is already pouring out her adoration to Annie. I wonder if Sydney ever stared down at Henry like that when he was a new born? I also remember those sleepless nights with a baby screaming at the top of his lungs.

Chris

Chapter 22
For the first six weeks of Annie’s life, things around the Vaughn household were hectic to say the least. The parents fell into a system that enabled them to get as much sleep as possible while Annie was still waking up at all hours of the night. As time progressed, though, she did better at falling back to sleep, which did not disturb her brother as much.

The four weeks Michael was able to spend at home flew by, and when it was time for him to return to work it nearly broke his heart. He loved having twenty-eight straight days at home with his family, even if in that time he was slightly more exhausted than usual. He was taken back into that college stage of life where there was nothing to do but watch TV in sweatpants all day long. Of course, he was not watching TV, but he was in sweats a majority of the time, unless he was running out to the store to pick up something they needed.

He spent many hours with Annie, reading to her, feeding her, and helping Sydney give her baths. He spent time with Henry, too. The two went out to the park by their house and played catch and also bonded over video games, which Henry preferred greatly over playing catch, especially with his low tolerance to the summer heat.

Finally, the day came for Michael to return to work. Sydney made sure to sleep in Annie’s room that night so that he would have a full night of sleep (or as full a night possible) for his first day back at work. When he left that morning, his family was still asleep, and by the time he arrived at his office he craved to hold Annie’s little body in his arms. The first day was painful and he called home half a dozen times to check on everyone, but with each passing day spending time away from them was easier. After all, he could still spend a few hours with Annie in the evening before she went to sleep for the night. Those times he had her all to himself, too, since Sydney was taking a well deserved break from being a Mommy.

As was expected, Sydney could not have been happier. True, she was more exhausted than she remembered being with Henry, but even that did not matter to her. She was reveling in her daughter’s growth, even if she was only making the tiniest of milestones, like snuggling up to Sydney’s chest when she held her. For Sydney, the best moment by far was when Annie smiled her first genuine smile, flashing her dimples, which were already present at such a young age. At seeing this, Sydney nearly started crying she was just that happy.

It seemed for everyone in the Vaughn house things were perfect – everyone but Henry that was. Simply put, he hated his sister and wanted her to go back to the hospital and never return. Being nine years old, he understood that she could not simply be returned, like one would return an unwanted toy or sweater, but if she could have been returned in this way he would have been ecstatic. He hated the way she cried in a shrill piercing tone. He hated that his mother insisted he learn how to change a diaper ‘just in case’. He hated the way his grandparents and other family members practically drooled over the baby. Mostly, though, he hated how with Annie around, he was practically invisible.

Henry’s ninth birthday fell just eleven days after Annie was born. Due to the new baby excitement, Henry’s birthday celebration was very low key. In fact, it was so low key it was almost nonexistent. True, his grandparents brought a cake to share, and he received a few presents from them and his father, but most of the time they spent together was passing Annie around the bunch. It was clear to Henry that even though it was his birthday, Annie was the star of the show.

By the time Annie was six weeks old, Henry knew something had to be done. If she was no longer around, then he would become visible once again. Of course, he did not want to hurt her, simply remove her from their once quiet and peaceful home, so he formulated a plan.

“Jimmy, I need your help,” Henry said to his friend and classmate one summer afternoon. The two boys were neighbors and best friends, and they played together frequently. Mostly, they played at Jimmy’s house because of Annie, but that day they were spending time at the Vaughn residence. Of course, they were forced to play very quietly, as Sydney reminded them every time they were a bit too loud, which seemed liked every ten minutes.

“Why?” Jimmy asked curiously.

“You know how your sister was talkin’ about Annie the other week?” Henry asked. Jimmy nodded. His sixteen-year-old sister, Lisa, apparently found babies irresistible. The previous week she had caught her first glimpse of Annie and, like everyone else it seemed, was immediately smitten. “Well, we’re gonna give Annie to her,” Henry said grinning, proud of his devious plan.

“Why?” Jimmy asked with utmost confusion.

“’cause I don’t want her here anymore and Lisa does want her so she can have her,” Henry explained simply.

“But,” Jimmy whined, “If Lisa gets her than I get her and I don’t want her!”

“Not forever. Besides, Lisa's room is in the basement and yours is upstairs - you won’t hear Annie crying.”

“Oh,” Jimmy said, happy with this logic. “Okay, but how are we gonna get her?”

“Well Mom just put Annie to bed, and when she does that, she does laundry. She won’t hear us if we’re quick and quiet,” he said. Then, he pressed his index finger to his lips, indicating quiet before ushering Jimmy up the stairs. He knew they had to be absolutely silent in Annie’s room because of the baby monitor so he reminded Jimmy of this at the top of the steps.

After grabbing a footstool from his room, he went into Annie’s with utmost stealth. He put the stool down beside Annie’s crib and released one of the crib sides so it went down lower and he could reach inside. As gently as possible, he scooped Annie up with both of his arms and transferred her to the nearby baby carrier. Luckily, she did not wake.

“Now what?” Jimmy mouthed to Henry. Henry grabbed a few diapers and a onesie from Annie’s changing table and handed them to his friend to carry. Then, the two boys each took a hold of the baby carrier’s handle and began walking with it down the stairs.

“And now?” Jimmy questioned, glancing down at the sleeping baby.

“Wait here!” Henry hissed. He hurried back through the house to the laundry room, where Sydney was standing. “Mom, Jimmy and I are running to his house real quick,” he said as fast as he could get the words out.

“Okay, sweetie. Please don’t slam the door on the way out,” Sydney cautioned, not looking away from the laundry she was sorting into piles. With this, Henry ran back to his friend and the two of them carried Annie out the back door, where they rested on the patio.

“That was close!” Jimmy exclaimed, breathing heavily and wiping his brow. “She’s heavy too!”

“Nah, it’s just the carrier. She’s not that big,” Henry explained. “C’mon let’s get her the rest of the way.” Jimmy nodded and picked up his side of the carrier before the two boys hurried off across the lawn.

omg!!! ahhh he better not hurt annie!!
feel bad for him tho!
at least this should make syd and mike realize theyve been neglecting henry!
awesome udpate
loved it
cant wait for more!!

I wish there was another way Henry could've proven his point. Instead now, Sydney is going to panic and after they discover Henry is the one who took Annie, he'll be in a lot of trouble. Henry wanted to be the center of attention but I fear it's going to be in the wrong way.

However, this does show how upset and neglected Henry is feeling. I did notice, however, that even when Michael was home it was only Michael who spent time with Henry. But even that seems to have become nonexistent now that Michael has returned to work.

Unless it was to make Henry learn to take care of the baby, Sydney didn't pay any attention to him at all. In fact, it was pointed out that the only parent to give Henry presents on his birthday, was his father. I hope Sydney does learn a lesson from this, that she does have two children that she should love equally and that her actions truly hurt her son. And I hope both parents realize they should have seen what was happening.

Chris

I fear the worst to come out of this... this sure isn't good, nor is it the greastest idea either because now, Sydney will hate him even further. Unless she definitely realises how much she abandonned him, but I guess that is more likely not going to happen :thinking:

Oh dear :(

I feel sorry for Henry, but as the same time angry at his jealousy. Annie could be seriously injured if he takes her out.

Great updates!

Should feel sorry for Henry, but I don't. Henry should be talking about this with his parents and not taking Annie. That could and probably will cause major problems.

omg no!!! oh man is he gonna be in trouble when they find out1 omg that's not good at all! oh man oh man henry is not gonna be happy when he finds out that he can't get rid of annie like he wants! can't wait for more!

Chapter 23
While her daughter was napping, Sydney did her household chores as quickly as possible. Usually during her time away from Annie, she tried to take a brief catnap herself, but with her son and his friend playing in the house, she needed to be alert and available incase of emergency. She sorted dirty laundry to wash, hung clean laundry up to dry and then helped the boys make bologna sandwiches for lunch.

As she was running the vacuum downstairs, she realized that she had yet to hear any peeps from the baby monitor in her hand. Typically, her little angel was out for two hours and forty-five minutes exactly, give or take a minute or so. Yet, at that point, it was well over the three-hour mark. Slightly confused and concerned, she jogged up the stairs to check on Annie.

When she entered the baby’s room and spotted an empty crib, her heart nearly shot right up her throat and out of her mouth. Beginning to hyperventilate, she dug through the crib’s blankets, but Annie was not there. “Annie! Annie!” she called out as she frantically tore apart the room as if her child was playing a rather cruel game of hide and seek. Of course, at not yet two months old, Annie could not even hold up her head, let alone escape her crib, shimmy down to the floor, and consciously hide from her mother.

Fully frantic at that point, Sydney groped for the phone, barely having enough mental capacity to dial the familiar digits. “Michael,” she said breathless into the phone. “Michael! Annie’s gone!”

“Whoa, calm down. What do you mean gone?!”

“Gone!” Sydney wailed. “She’s gone! She’s not in her crib!”

“Okay, take a deep breath and tell me what happened,” Michael said rationally.

“Put her down…did laundry, made lunch, vacuumed…came back – Gone!” she uttered out in disjointed statements. That was all she could get through her spinning mind at that point in time.

“Sydney I’m sure it’s okay. She’s six weeks old; she didn’t run away from home. Are you sure you didn’t just put her down somewhere and then walk away?” he asked hopefully.

“Michael!” Sydney snapped. “She’s my baby, not my car keys!”

Sighing heavily, Michael tried another option. “Why don’t you just ask Henry if he-”

“Oh my god!” Sydney gasped before hanging up the phone without any regard for her husband on the other end of the line. She rushed down the stairs nearly falling on the way, and shouted her son’s name. “Henry! Henry where’s Annie?!” she demanded as she walked into the family room.

“Um, in her crib?” Henry said in an ‘isn’t it obvious’ way.

“No, no she’s not. Where did you put her Henry? Where?!” she demanded.

“I didn’t do anything with her! Maybe she went away on her own,” he suggested casually with a shrug.

Sydney knelt down to the floor and gripped her son’s arms tightly. “Henry Christian Vaughn you listen to me and you listen good,” she said, forcing him to look at her. Henry complained and tried to wiggle free of her grasp, but she held him strong. “Henry, what did you do with your sister? What did you do to her?!” she asked, frantic. “Don’t you understand? She’s little and vulnerable. You could really hurt her.”

“I didn’t hurt her!” Henry insisted.

“Where is she?!” Sydney snapped, digging her fingers a bit too tightly into her son’s arms.

“She’s at my house,” Jimmy said quietly. Sydney glanced at the little boy momentarily before bolding out the door, running across her backyard, and to the Stewart’s house. There, she spotted Lisa sitting on the porch, baby carrier at her feet.

“Hey, Mrs. V,” Lisa said in a chipper tone, not even noticing the positively crazed look on Sydney’s face. “Your baby’s real cute. I think she’s hungry, though. She’s been whimpering, but her diaper isn’t wet,” Lisa said.

Without even acknowledging what Lisa said, Sydney lunged for the carrier and lifted her precious daughter out. She held Annie up to her shoulder and hugged her as tightly as possible while whispering soft things in her ear. After composing herself a minute later, she turned to Lisa and demanded, “Lisa, when did you get her? What were you doing with her?!”

Lisa shrugged indifferently. “I dunno. Henry and Jim came over and said you wanted me to watch her or something. I really don’t mind at all,” she smiled encouragingly.

“You didn’t find it odd that I would send my eight-year-old son and his friend over here with my baby?” Sydney asked, furious at the teen’s irresponsibility.

“You…didn’t?” Lisa asked with a gulp. From the stern expression on Sydney’s face she had her answer. “Oh jeez Mrs. V I’m sorry. I had no idea!”

“It’s fine,” Sydney sighed, putting Annie back in her carrier. “Thanks for watching her,” she said shortly before picking up the carrier and returning home.

“Jimmy, go home,” she commanded upon returning to the family room to find the two guilty boys were sitting silently far apart from one another. “I’ll be calling your parents tonight to tell them what happened.”

“Aw man!” Jimmy groaned under his breath as he stomped his way out of the house.

Once he was gone, Sydney set Annie down on the coffee table and instructed her son harshly, “Don’t you dare touch her.” She disappeared momentarily and returned with a kitchen chair, which she placed in the corner of the room. “Sit,” she commanded, pointing to the chair. “Sit and stay there until your father gets home. You are not to move an inch.”

“What if I gotta pee?” Henry asked.

“Then you go straight there and come straight back. While you sit there you can think about what you did because it was very wrong, Henry. Very, very wrong.”

“Fine,” Henry growled. He stomped his way to the chair making it very clear how he felt about being punished. Once there, he flopped himself down in the chair so hard he tipped it over, but he managed to right himself quickly. Upon making sure Henry was not going to move, Sydney went upstairs to tend to Annie and let her husband know that she had been found.

~*~

“So where was she? Behind the couch? Under his bed? In a closet?” Michael asked when he arrived home from work, listing all the places he could think of for Henry to hide his sister. When Sydney called him earlier that day, there was not enough time to fully describe the situation since Michael was on his way to an important meeting. He had been curious about what really happened all day long, though.

“Oh, no, nothing like that,” Sydney said, her tone still demonstrating her fury. In the hours since Annie was found, she had not spoken a word to her son. “Do you know what your son did? He and his friend, Jimmy, took her out of her crib, carried her out of the house, and over to Jimmy’s house, where they gave her to Jimmy’s sister!”

“What?!” Michael gasped, almost laughing at the deviousness of the plan. “You didn’t notice?”

“I was doing laundry, Michael. I didn’t expect them to steal her! God, do you know how dangerous that was? What if they had just left her outside?! She could have died!” Sydney exclaimed, horrified, before rushing over to her child, picking her up, and hugging her tightly.

“I’m sure they would not have left her outside. They were probably just having fun,” Michael said, shrugging.

“FUN?!” Sydney screeched at a painful decibel.

Michael winced slightly. “Well not fun just…where is he? I’ll talk to him and find out what happened.”

“In the corner of the family room,” Sydney directed him.

Michael found his son sitting on the kitchen chair with his knees tucked up to his chest. He turned the chair around and knelt down to the floor so that he was eye level with Henry. “Henry, why did you take Annie?”

“Cause I wanted her to go away,” Henry said.

“Why?”

“Because Mommy doesn’t love me anymore; she only loves Annie,” Henry told him.

“Henry of course your mother loves you,” Michael told him.

“No she doesn’t!” Henry maintained. “She doesn’t love me and neither does anyone else! All they care about is Annie!”

“Well, Annie is a baby. She needs more attention than you do. You’re a big boy; you can dress yourself and feed yourself. Annie can’t do that,” Michael explained.

“She’s stupid,” Henry snapped.

“Henry,” Michael said in a warning tone. “She is not stupid and I don’t want to hear you say that about anyone again.”

“But,” he whined. “Why can’t she just go away? Then it would be you, me and Mommy and you would love me again.”

“Henry, we still love you very much. You, me, your mother, and Annie – we’re all a family. I know it’s hard at first, but you have to understand that we’re trying to be with you both as much as we can. I admit we may have been focusing a bit more on Annie, but that’s because she needs it. We can’t just leave her alone to play by herself; she can’t do that. I promise that as she gets older things will get better,” Michael told him. Henry turned his eyes away and said nothing.

“Henry,” Michael sighed heavily. “I need you to promise you won’t take Annie like that again. You really could hurt her. I don’t want you picking her up unless you ask us first, okay?”

“I don’t want to pick her up ever again! I hate her!” Henry shouted.

“Henry!” Michael snapped. “You don’t hate your sister. Now please go wash your hands; we’ll continue talking about this over dinner.”

“Fine,” Henry grunted before sulking his way off to the bathroom.

I'm not sure that this talk was all Henry needed... he especially needs Sydney to show him how much she loves him! She should have been there for the talk! :angry:

i feel bad for henry :( maybe Syd and Vaughn should show him a little more attention so he doesnt feel as left out. i bet as Annie gets older though he'll grow to liker her.

can't wait for more :D

Henry's talking but Michael isn't really listening. Michael just thinks this is just a phase Henry is going through, that the little boy is jealous. However, Henry is 9 years old, to have such strong feelings that he's being neglected has to have some justification.

And Sydney really doesn't show any love for her son now that the baby is here, Sydney's world revolves around Annie. And even when Annie wasn't around, Sydney didn't show much love for her son.

As Cookie said, Sydney needed to be there to have heard what Henry said. I know in the short run she would've have denied what Henry said, just like Michael did. But after thinking about it I think Sydney, if she cared for her son at all, would be embarrassed and ashamed at how she had treated her him.

There is only one chapter left in this story. I hope Sydney sees the light and doesn't just get off scot free. Yes, what Henry did was wrong but he wouldn't have done anything if he felt his parents still loved him.

Chris

Back