Getting Out of Reverse

Lomeinie

Cadet
Getting Out of Reverse (WIP)
By
Lomeinie

Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: Up through WILSON'S HEART and very very very AU after that although I might have a small minor Season 5 spoiler here and there
Current Word Count: 16,396 total with most chapters around 500 to 3,500 words each
Characters: Wilson, Cuddy, House, Foreman, Kutner, Taub, Thirteen, Chase, Cameron, with some OCs
Pairing(s): House/Cuddy, House/Wilson (friendship), Wilson/Amber, Wilson/Cuddy (friendship)

Beta(s): KellyAnnie & theviewfromnowhere with a very special thanks going out to my first readers capeofstorm,michelleann68, andeverybodyliesmd – without the encouragement and feedback of these people this story never would've gotten finished or posted.

Summary: In this continuation of Happiness, it has been six months since he left Princeton and Wilson is about to learn what happened after he left.

Medical Disclaimers: This story contain some medical issues that I've done my best to research and ask others with medical knowledge to verify. But you should know I am neither a medical student, doctor, or nurse and although I've done my best to write the medical aspects as accurately as I've understood them, please DO NOT use this story to self-diagnose any problems you might be having. Please if you are having problems seek the attention of a licensed physician!

Disclaimers: I don't own House or any of the characters and I've made nothing from this so it'd be nice if you didn't sue me.
A/N 1: If you can tell me where my story's title comes from I will write you a 100 to 250 word drabble (No slash or Hameron please) featuring the character(s) 2-word prompts of your choice. [a href="mailto:[email]lomeinie@gmail.com[/email]"]Email me[/a] with your answer
A/N 2: See all other story notes at the end of the epilogue.

-- chapter one

“I think we've caught the cancer early enough, Mrs. Van den Akker, and I have every reason to believe Peter will make a full recovery once his treatments are completed.” Wilson glanced over at the little boy who was busy playing with blocks in a corner of his office, oblivious to the fact they were talking about him due to his deafness.

Carol Van den Akker wiped a tear from her face and exclaimed, “Oh thank God!” she exclaimed.

Once the Van den Akkers had left Wilson decided to take an early lunch since the rest of his day would be insanely busy, with rounds after he finished with his patient meetings. But before he could take the first bite of his sandwich, the phone rang. Wilson sighed putting his food back down on his desk. The phone rang a second time as he wiped his hands while thinking. He never thought a day would come he'd prefer a House-style interruption to one so common-place as the phone ringing.

But you wouldn't have come here if you hadn't wanted to find out about life's more common place interruptions, would you? Wilson shook his head, clearing the thoughts from his mind as he finally snatched the phone up off the hook on the third ring. “James Wilson.”

“Hi James, it's Lisa.”

At the sound of Cuddy's voice, Wilson's mouth suddenly felt bone dry, and a sense of dread settled in the pit of his stomach. Right before he had left Princeton, Wilson had left his contact information with Cuddy, making the request that she wouldn't allow House or anyone associated with him, past or present, see it. He could tell she had been reluctant to make that promise, but he had made her promise, nevertheless. House wouldn't find out how to contact him through her.

Even when he had forced her to promise, somewhere in the back of his mind, Wilson had hoped House would steal it from her office. But his cruel words to House the last time they had seen each other had done their work well if the soul-crushing silence of the last six months was any indication. With every poison-laced syllable he had spoken, Wilson knew he had assured House probably wouldn't even have the heart to even make the effort to steal it out of Cuddy's office since there was no hope things between them could ever be made right again.

“Hello? Wilson, are you still there?”

The sound of Cuddy's voice brought him out of his thoughts, and Wilson closed his eyes. “You're calling because something's wrong. Something has happened to House.” Her small but audible sigh from her told Wilson he had guessed right. He had a hard time keeping his voice clear of emotion when he asked, “How bad is it?” The solid lump in his throat prevented him from asking her if House was even alive.

But Cuddy would be more upset if he was dead, Wilson thought. She'd be a lot more upset if he's dead.

"What happened?”

Cuddy spent the next ten minutes detailing what had happened to House. Wilson didn't say anything other than to ask questions here or there. She told him that House had been hit by a drunk driver late one night, and that the impact of the collision happened on the driver's side of the car. It was so bad, the EMTs had used the jaws of life to free him from the wreckage. He was trapped for almost an hour and had been conscious for most of the time.

Cuddy breathed in deeply before she continued, “House lost consciousness about fifteen minutes before the medics got to him. They reported en route to Princeton-Plainsboro House fell from twelve to five on the GCS. Since then he's fallen to four and has remained there for the past two months.”

Wilson swore softly, allowing an uncomfortable silence to fall between them before he finally asked, “The coma isn't the worst thing that's happened to him since I left, it is?” He heard the sadness in her voice when she answered.

“No, it's not. He-” Her voice broke and she paused to steady it before answering him. “Wilson, he lost his left leg just below the knee.” Cuddy waited for a response from him, but received only silence. His end was so quiet she thought he must have hung up on her. “James? Hello?”

“Uh, yeah, I'm here. Sorry,” Wilson said.

She heard something that sounded like someone knocking on the wood of a desk's top before she heard his voice again.

“Dr. Cuddy, I'm very sorry but I have to go. My next patient has arrived. Thank you for the phone call. I hope House will get better soon, I really do. Goodbye.” Wilson put down the phone before Cuddy could say another word, and covered his face with his hands. He stayed that way for several minutes, battling with the guilt he felt flooding him until he forced himself to begin his preparations for his next patient.

TBC

OMG!!!!!!!!I can't believe you left us hanging like that....Ebil.....so ebil. :o_O:

LOL...NO really I loved it. I really loved this part:
The sound of Cuddy's voice brought him out of his thoughts, and Wilson closed his eyes. “You're calling because something's wrong. Something has happened to House.” Her small but audible sigh from her told Wilson he had guessed right. He had a hard time keeping his voice clear of emotion when he asked, “How bad is it?” The solid lump in his throat prevented him from asking her if House was even alive.

I mean it really felt like you captured the way Wilson thinks and feel. GREAT JOB!!!

I can't wait for more!

OMG!!!!!!!!I can't believe you left us hanging like that....Ebil.....so ebil. :o_O:
Awww thanks and sorry got leaving it there. . . more is to come soon.

LOL...NO really I loved it. I really loved this part:
Wow thank you!
I mean it really felt like you captured the way Wilson thinks and feel. GREAT JOB!!!
Again, thank you I've not been writing fics for House long (in fact I've only considered myself for about a year now) and this really makes me feel good about the story I'm telling.
I can't wait for more!
I hope I'll be able to update soon. Thank you for reading!

A/N: I decided to go ahead and post the second chapter.

--chapter two

House and his crises are not my responsibility anymore. Disasters like this one are the reason why I left in the first place. If Cuddy is so concerned about House then she can deal with the fallout from him losing his good leg, and what fallout there would be too! Wilson pitied anyone who would have to deal with it but he also was relieved that this could not directly effect his life if he didn't want it to.

“Just like I'm letting it effect me now,” Wilson muttered. “I've got work to do so that stops right now.” He was surprised when that actually worked and he didn't give House another thought, at least not until during the last patient consultation he had for that day.

The patient had been a 16 year old boy named Donnie and had an osteosarcoma tumor growing just below his knee in the tibia of his right leg. Wilson carefully went over the steps that would be taken to treat Donnie's cancer, answering the questions his parents had as they discussed each step. The entire time they were talking Wilson noticed Donnie didn't once contribute to the discussion. It was about his leg and his treatment so before the meeting ended Wilson spoke directly to him.

“Donnie, do you have any concerns you want to talk to me about? Are there any questions you want to ask me about the surgery or any part of your treatment?” he asked.

Donnie nodded, “Yeah are you going to have to cut my leg off?” The boy was a promising young talent in his school's track program and who could blame him for wanting to know if he was about to have this part of his life taken away from him.

Although the teen hadn't used the word amputation in his question, House immediately invaded Wilson's thoughts again, and he didn't answer him.

“Uh, Dr. Wilson?”

Wilson smiled at him, “The good news is, Donnie, I believe your leg is going to be just fine.”

The fear in the boy's eyes visibly melted and he smiled, “Thank you, Dr. Wilson.”

“That's why I'm here,” Wilson answered, forcing aside another memory of House the words had provoked.

The moment after Donnie and his parents were gone, Wilson made a call to another office in the hospital and once he had confirmed the person he wanted to see was available he left his office. Wilson nodded politely to the various new colleagues he passed in the halls but didn't slow down for any, not even for those who looked like they wanted to talk or ask him something. Since he had arrived at this hospital, Wilson had kept his interactions with the other doctors strictly work related. It wasn't he didn't want to have new personal relationships in his life but rather the fact he didn't feel ready for any so for now so he avoided them.

In just under two minutes later Wilson rounded the corner, and entered the reception area of the office of Dr. Reginald Thierry, the administrator of this hospital. Sean the assistant looked up from whatever he was typing to wave a meaty hand at Wilson, “You can go in, Dr. Wilson. Dr. Thierry is expecting you.”

“Thanks, Sean.” Wilson replied before proceeding on. He knocked softly but opened it as he hadn't expected an answer. He had been right too.

Behind his desk and talking on the phone sat Dr. Reginald “Reg” Thierry with a wistful smile on his face. He was intently listening to whomever was on the other end of the line. With a shake of a head that once had more red on it than the current grey , he motioned for Wilson to sit down across from him while he finished up his phone call. Dr. Thierry was a man in his early sixties and was as frail looking as his assistant looked like a world champion bodybuilder and linebacker rolled into one. But in the little time since he had known him, Wilson knew the man's looks were deceiving as he had one of the strongest, fiery spirits Wilson had ever encountered but it was also fieriness tempered by a great compassion for the sick children he fought to save.

The man smiled at him sheepishly at Wilson before he said gently into the phone, “Lacey, sweetheart, your Grampy has got to go.” Pause. “Of course I'll see you this weekend.” Pause. “I love you too, honey, and I'm proud of you, Tell your mother I love her too. Okay honey?” Pause. “All right. Bye, bye.” He put the phone down and looked at Wilson. “My granddaughter got the lead in her school's play and was too excited to wait for the weekend to come to tell me.”

Wilson nodded politely but didn't comment on it.

“So what can I do for you, Dr. Wilson?” Thierry asked after a moment.

Wilson was surprised by what he told Thierry as an answer. “I need to take the rest of the week off. The deal to sale my girlfriend's apartment. . .” Wilson paused to swallow down the painful lump in this throat that still came whenever he thought of or mentioned Amber, “fell through and the realtor has somethings he needs to see me about.”

Thierry arched and eyebrow and laced his hands before him, laying them carefully on the desk. “James, I know you were the department head of Oncology at Princeton-Plainsboro and as such you reported directly to Dr. Cuddy, so it's been awhile since you were directly under someone besides the dean.”

Wilson shook his head as he realized the other doctor's point. “I should have talked to Dr. Parker instead. I'm sorry about my mistake and that I've taken up your time, Dr. Thierry.”

Dr. Thierry motioned for him to sit back down again. “You made an honest mistake, Dr. Wilson, and no harm has been done.” He gestured towards a corner of his office where an electric kettle was set up. “I'm going to make myself a cup of tea. Would you like some?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Silence reigned in the office while the older doctor prepared their tea. He only spoke to ask Wilson what he liked in his tea. A short time later he sat back down with two steaming mugs of hot tea and he watched Wilson cool it off by blowing on it a few seconds before he asked, “So how are you finding things at this hospital?”

TBC

Back