Hero's Journey on WarCry Opens With Exclusive Interview

I know its a tendancy to look at game features like the notion of 'Crafting' and expect the usuall based on previous experiences but I haven't seen anything in HJ that looks like it will be business as usuall.

Whatever kind of 'Crafting' they do offer its more than likely for sure you won't be sitting at your keyboard repetitiously clicking icons for hours on end.

That would be nice...

I actually liked WoW crafting because I could set my character on automatic and leave the keyboard. It was boring stuff. Why should I have to sit through doing it over and over again?

WoWs crafting was terrible. Terrible terrible.

I loved EQ2s pre-nerf, loved Ryzoms, love SWG, heck even loved FFXI. I hated VGs with a passion. DRs is fun but more 'item creation' than crafting. There's no crafting skill and you make things, no buttons no interface. You want and arrow? Grab a knife, a stick, some feathers, glue and arrowhead. Start choping and glueing, all done with actions.

As long as it's extensive and realistic am I'm there :smiley:

To be honest, in DR, there are several skills associated with crafting. Usually it's the weapon skills plus mech lore (which is the general crafting skill).

I hope the crafting isn't going to be extensive and realistic, who the heck wants to spend hrs making arrows when you could be out hunting sheeeeeh.
As I usually play a mage/healer I don't want to have to spend hrs looking up spells and finding components and trying and failing making potions.
I did that in one game I played and since my playing time is limited as I work full time and have outside activities I help with (Coach Cheer leading) the time I have to play sometime is only a few hrs a day. I want to play and explore not craft for hrs.

I hope the crafting isn't going to be extensive and realistic, who the heck wants to spend hrs making arrows when you could be out hunting sheeeeeh.
As I usually play a mage/healer I don't want to have to spend hrs looking up spells and finding components and trying and failing making potions.
I did that in one game I played and since my playing time is limited as I work full time and have outside activities I help with (Coach Cheer leading) the time I have to play sometime is only a few hrs a day. I want to play and explore not craft for hrs.

And since their main goals are to take away tedium while keeping the challenge, they'll either make the realism make a lot, or they wont do it all realistically.

I want to spend hours making arrows instead of hunting, actually. Or cooking, or alchemy or making armor.

I don't think their desire to cut down tedium should be translated into a lack of time or effort. A tedium-less, effortless game that takes no time and offers no challenge is .... well it has orcs and elves with flashlight eyeballs I'll leave it at that. If they cut out detailed and involved things like realistic crafting because it's 'tedious' I'm going to be beyond sad and likely just stay in DR. Lack of tedium doesn't equal lack of time or lack of effort, I'd hope it means lacks of mindless, lack of not-fun. If the crafting mechanics are delightfully fun even if they take a chunk of time and effort that's not tedious, that's rewarding.

Dumbing down crafting to give people more time to hunt is completely ignoring a section of the playerbase, the non-combat minded ones. With that line of thought they should make hunting take no time, effort or be realistic because "who would want to spend hours leveling up a bunch of boring combat skills when you could be in town creating items and RPing?" Different people want different things, different people find different things more fun. And just because you (preverbial 'you') might find it boring doesn't mean everyone does, nor does it mean the developers should dumb it down to appeal to everyone, that's one of the main problems with current MMOs. It's what made me quit EQ2 in fact.

Well then I hope the developers make it so if you want to spend hrs crafting then so be it, but make it so the crafter can sell his goods he spends hrs making to one that want to explore and doesn't want to spend hrs making somethings.

That way it can appeal to everyone.

Since I have been playing MMORPG's and have been on many forms, thats one of the biggest beefs is the tedious task of crafting especially arrows,
"who would want to spend hours leveling up a bunch of boring combat skills when you could be in town creating items and RPing?" ummmmm I can RP while out exploring as I'm sure there will be lots to see and do other than standing in one spot in town crafting or where ever you plan on doing it.

I hope the developers can get back to us on the crafting soon as I would really like to know how this is going to be in game.

Not that it will make a difference if I play or not, just how I will play and what kind of char.

Artisans in the old SWG ruled! Other than that, I've been pretty uninterested in the crafting in other games. Well, I was interested at one point, but they killed it for me. I guess I kind of just hope that the crafting is simpler than in DR,(From what you've said) but not so much so that it's dull... Or something.

True enough :smiley: But you don't need to go anywhere and someone dub thee a fletcher or leveling a fletching skill seperatly etc

That's just the great thing about a skill-based system. Who's to say I can't be a barbarian and be sneakier than the thief next door. I like how you can do in whatever direction you want. But, I also like that there is a difference between the classes and that the players have to depend on one another to different degrees.

As far as crafting is concerned, I'd like to see it have two facts. A casual side and a more serious side. Perhaps the casual crafter can do things like sharpen or perhaps repair swords. Whereas a more serious crafter would be able to actually make swords. Or perhaps a casual crafter could make arrows whereas a serious one could make bows.

As far as crafting is concerned, I'd like to see it have two facts. A casual side and a more serious side. Perhaps the casual crafter can do things like sharpen or perhaps repair swords. Whereas a more serious crafter would be able to actually make swords. Or perhaps a casual crafter could make arrows whereas a serious one could make bows.

This is a good solid idea. When I did decide to do some crafting in EQ2 I think I stopped at around lvl 15-20 ro so... I could make arrows and fordge tips, fletching but that's about as far as I could handle it.

As a Ranger if I had enjoyed EQ's crafting experience I would've loved to go further but I never got to fordging the higher tips. I'm pretty sure lower lvl chars purchased some arrows but most didn't because the silver one's I could make didn't compete with the damage that could be wrought with the NPC's arrows.

I think that was supposed to spur me onward with crafting but it had the opposite effect.

I want to spend hours making arrows instead of hunting, actually. Or cooking, or alchemy or making armor.

I don't think their desire to cut down tedium should be translated into a lack of time or effort. A tedium-less, effortless game that takes no time and offers no challenge is .... well it has orcs and elves with flashlight eyeballs I'll leave it at that. If they cut out detailed and involved things like realistic crafting because it's 'tedious' I'm going to be beyond sad and likely just stay in DR. Lack of tedium doesn't equal lack of time or lack of effort, I'd hope it means lacks of mindless, lack of not-fun. If the crafting mechanics are delightfully fun even if they take a chunk of time and effort that's not tedious, that's rewarding.

Dumbing down crafting to give people more time to hunt is completely ignoring a section of the playerbase, the non-combat minded ones. With that line of thought they should make hunting take no time, effort or be realistic because "who would want to spend hours leveling up a bunch of boring combat skills when you could be in town creating items and RPing?" Different people want different things, different people find different things more fun. And just because you (preverbial 'you') might find it boring doesn't mean everyone does, nor does it mean the developers should dumb it down to appeal to everyone, that's one of the main problems with current MMOs. It's what made me quit EQ2 in fact.

Actually Ainilome with your playstyle I'm often quite suprised you went "Ranger" and didn't go Empath. :smiley:

Can -you- see Tsuim as an Empath? :P I like combat, and combat minded characters. Tsuim loves ripping the arms off things :D I just like to have a wide range of things to do, I need distractions. If everything centers around fighting, making most every aspect of the game just something you do before you go back out and slaughter things I get reeeeeeeeeally bored. I spent two hours last night dodging the guards in Riverhaven as Tsuim hummed and filled her empty backpack with "things she found", lifting from stores and my favorite thing to do, just looking around for stuff left behind on tables, benches, bars etc all around Elanthia. I learned zilch, I didn't find anything that could be sold for more than a few copper (I am terrible as shoplifting, Tsuim blames her tail for knocking things off shelves) but Tsuim was happy. She went a hooded cloak and an empty bundle and left loaded down with trinkets and free drinks. Distractions! :D That's what I want, and crafting is a major distraction for me, as is harvesting.

:D I love Tsuim. I wish I could translate her into a suwari in HJ but I doubt I can. Suwari seem too small and cute, their faces too cat like in shape. A big part of Tsuim's character is her sex apeal. I don't think I could play that well with a critter that looks like my house cat XD Prydaen and Mithra are the only cat races I've been able to play, but good GRIEF have I loved playing both of them.

"While solitary, they do not lack charm and grace -- though the Prydaen are ever mindful that they are supremely gorgeous, they don't need to flaunt what they know they've got. If others aren't aware of it -- well, that's their loss." - play.net
;)

Back