Hero's Journey should not....

I think specs is what made Diablo 2 so awsome. You could spec so many different ways to either make a great character, or a shitty one. You should always be able to mess up your character, and destroy it's stats to be the worst possible. However, you should always be able to re-spec all of your stats, attributes, and skills.

I really love to be different, I hate cookie cutter. Look at WoW. Almost no difference between characters of hte same class, everyone is the same. You see a class, and you think 'sucks', or 'omg overpowered'. You shouldn't be able to do that in Hero's Journey. A player should be what makes you good or bad.

Instead of, 'omg shaman are teh pwn'. It would be, 'Wow DesertFox is a really good Warrior.'

I don't see why there can't be a middle ground in MMOs as well. An example being...
Each level up or whatever new rank of achievement you reach let folks decide their attributes, stats, and skills. For those that wish to tinker...
For those folks who don't wish to mess up anything give them like 3 or so preset options to choose from and then mess with if they wish to customize it, just a lil' bit. Then maybe later on in their game life they'll be comfortable to customize their stats and skills to how they wish to play.

And shhhsss nay sayers.. Yes that means folks could choose to focus on a primary skill that they use quite often and thus they could specialize, but this also leaves an avenue open for folks to generalize and be great at a single aspect of their game play. Maybe 2 aspects? Maybe try and be great at a lil' bit of everything. It'd be their choice.

I'm all against illusions of choice as well. MMOers are intelligent enough to make their own choices. Some folks like the help and they should have that. I still think there should be an avenue opened up for folks who like to make their own choices too tho'.

I don't want to see gold diggers and people throwing the economy out of whack. I also DO NOT want to see custom UI's breaking with every game patch. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a UI interface (code interface) and not change the darn thing.

milamber said:
I don't want to see gold diggers and people throwing the economy out of whack. I also DO NOT want to see custom UI's breaking with every game patch. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a UI interface (code interface) and not change the darn thing.
It could be difficult to exclude all of that. However, since HJ will have a real-time-update mechanism in place....it might just be possible to have real-time-update GUI mods in place. We'll see.

Riceman said:
It could be difficult to exclude all of that. However, since HJ will have a real-time-update mechanism in place....it might just be possible to have real-time-update GUI mods in place. We'll see.

GUI's based on XML are generally only updated in two ways: graphic changes and XML changes. If players complain of a missing or needed item in the GUI, and Simu adds it, modded-GUI's are not going to contain that feature until they update their mod to include the new addition.

As a programmer, this is a given, GUI's *will* break if new XML is added, changed or removed, and graphics should never need updating except to incorporate the addition/removal of any updates from Simu, and any creative changes by the other of a gui mod. I have seen this happen especially in DAoC with all their mod's & skins.

Sadly, we can wish it won't happen, but I am 99.99999% sure, it will... The only skins you can look for that will get updated right along with any changes made by Simu, are the skins made by Simu themselves.

~ Jaraeth

Luciro said:
For those folks who don't wish to mess up anything give them like 3 or so preset options to choose from and then mess with if they wish to customize it, just a lil' bit. Then maybe later on in their game life they'll be comfortable to customize their stats and skills to how they wish to play.
I like the idea of giving people some guidance through the first levels when they don't have an idea of what all those skills are (either that, or you are allowed to freely respec whenever you want during the first 20 levels, or so (that is to say: I hate limited respecs, but I think in higher levels you should at least have to complete a quest before you can respec, after all, changing the skills is quite a strong modification of the character)).
And as for freedom of choice: I like CoV in that repect, with the big number of primary/secondary and auxiliary pools to choose from you can really customize your character (especially since the powers are quite balanced, I think).

Respecing would be quite a big deal RP-wise. It would have to be implemented carefully, if it was implemented at all. I don't like the idea that you could "mess up" and end up gimping you character to the point where you'd need to respec. I mean, all the abilities should be useful in some respect, not just a certain set.

That said, I didn't really understand the whole "GUI" thing. I mean, that's "G-something User Interface", right? Well, I mean... Multiple ones to choose from are ok, I guess, so long as they're available from the start.

I like the idea of free respec from level 1-20, then after level 21 you are locked with your skill set or whatever. As long i am not forced to choose skills i dont want.

Back