Preview: Hero's Journey & HeroEngine

"Over the last year, the team has developed the resources to support both the HeroEngine and their proof of concept MMORPG Hero's Journey. Before, it always seemed like they had to pick one or the other. Their St. Louis studio now has 45 to 50 people on site and at work on the two projects simultaneously. This is nothing compared to the roughly 200 people on EA Mythic's Warhammer Online, but it crosses the line from independent production to a well-funded player."

Read the article HERE!

They could probably continue to improve forever and ever though. It's like writing a book..

The hardest things to do are to start the story and to end it. It's easier to just keep on going. They're in an interesting area since many companies can't end when they want, but Simutronics created such great technology that it's possible for them to survive off that, continueing to create for many years to come.

Now, yes, that would mean they'd have a fantastic game on their hands, but what good is a wonderful game if it is never shared with the public, only continually improved?

They could probably continue to improve forever and ever though. It's like writing a book..

The hardest things to do are to start the story and to end it. It's easier to just keep on going. They're in an interesting area since many companies can't end when they want, but Simutronics created such great technology that it's possible for them to survive off that, continueing to create for many years to come.

Now, yes, that would mean they'd have a fantastic game on their hands, but what good is a wonderful game if it is never shared with the public, only continually improved?

Well, here's a thought. I ALWAYS hear about cool games last minute, go to sign up for beta... get in when everyone else who's a fan has been waiting for years... and everyone hates me.

So... since I just heard about this game, and popped on here, that means it should come out before 2008. Good news for all of you! <cheers himself>

......We must test this!

*waves around a sign saying "Vahsyl is here!"*

I think it's because beta applications are usually used, and I have, usually, a good system and a large 'play time' committment, so I get in.

Or it could just be luck... but either way, it's ALWAYS happened.

<coughs> Um, if it does, I promise I won't gloat or cackle and send you e-mails saying "New beta screenshots!" and in the subject have "This picture removed for violating the NDA."

I have a large amount of playtime I devote to my betas too, and what is supposed to be a good system..

I just tend to make electronics explode.

Still, you have to admit it takes skill to make two computers fry at once.. It took promises of not even downloading a single picture to let me on the remaining household computers until mine gets fixed up.

I have a large amount of playtime I devote to my betas too, and what is supposed to be a good system..

I just tend to make electronics explode.

Still, you have to admit it takes skill to make two computers fry at once.. It took promises of not even downloading a single picture to let me on the remaining household computers until mine gets fixed up.

Is that your super human power? Are you Microwave Girl?

Well, we have concluded from classroom experiences that I do have an abnormal amount of static electricity. We think it may interfere with electronic devices and is the reason why I seem to go through headsets, cd players, and cellphones like video games.

Oh Em Eff Gee!!!!

I don't CARE about the HeroEngine anymore!!! I've heard all this felgercarb. I'm sick and tired of Simu doing nothing but brag about all the freakin money and all the ---- their Engine can do. It's like watching a little rich kid show off the same new toy over and over at show-and-tell.

Telling me more of the same news about HeroEngine is not an update. I want to hear about HERO'S JOURNEY. Remember? That MMO you guys were making to lead a new revolution out of the dense fog of cookie cutter hell? Any of this ring a bell?!!!!!

urk! *heart attack* X______x

Oh Em Eff Gee!!!!

I don't CARE about the HeroEngine anymore!!! I've heard all this felgercarb. I'm sick and tired of Simu doing nothing but brag about all the freakin money and all the ---- their Engine can do. It's like watching a little rich kid show off the same new toy over and over at show-and-tell.

Telling me more of the same news about HeroEngine is not an update. I want to hear about HERO'S JOURNEY. Remember? That MMO you guys were making to lead a new revolution out of the dense fog of cookie cutter hell? Any of this ring a bell?!!!!!

Rawr! He said it better than I did.

Wow.... that doesn't look too good if they put a preview read from some magazine or site as news. There are a whole lot of other things they could've put.

Oh Em Eff Gee!!!!

:whs:​

Ya, I'm with Daax. Blargh.

I'm itching for Hero's Journey. >_<

Though I am glad what they are doing with Hero Engine to make HJ more visually appealing. Weather, moving shadows, etc. looks really spiffy. Not to mention the awesomeness of the new voice thing and SpeedTree 4.0 (which makes trees look oh so juicy... and by juicy I mean awesomeness!).

^___^

If, indeed, Stephanie is going to continue to release a regular monthly update for Hero's Journey, this article WAS NOT IT. This just happened to come down the pipe and they plopped it on the site for good measure.

I presume Steph was just too busy with GDC 2007 and the daily grind to give us something for March. That means she chose to spend her time working on Hero's Journey, rather than tell you about Hero's Journey. I'll take it. :smiley: (I know, I know.. insert 'Why doesn't Simutrnoics get a full-time PR person?' comments here. Don't ask me, I just work here... and there... and in the air everywhere. Flyin' loose.. flyin' free.. *ahem* /bugaloos)

I expect we will still see Hero's Journey related goodness this month! Maybe just more Class updates.. maybe more. I can't say.. No, really.. I want to, I just can't.

The colour of the pen I am holding in my hand is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-oyal blue.

The pen is blue!
The pen is blue!
The gosh darn pen is blue!

How come Steph was so busy with GDC if Simu focused to show HE?
Is she also working with the engine?

Sometimes Simu got millions of people, sometimes its only Steph. Sometimes they split up the engine work and game work into two completely different things, sometimes its the same thing... *confused*

If they don't want to get themselves a PR person, they should perhaps get someone to take care of the other things Steph do, as she seems to work with everything... (So steph could do more PR stuff herself :smiley: )

..ah well.. I'm glad to hear we will get something this month.

One good aspect of that Warcry article that I did like was the interviewer taking note of the progress that has been made. I began to suspect the possibiltiy that some of the screenshots on the main site may be graphically outdated by now as the Ten Ton preview that was posted looked great.

Even for a video of another screen it looked great.

So whatever they're doing seems to be working, and working very well considering that the interviewer has seen such previews over long periods of time at conferences etc and still bore that comment.

Kudos on that.

Back