Hero's Journey should not....

Originally posted by Kylie@Jun 13 2006, 08:56 AM
As long as the zones are large and such, fine, I guess...
I have to agree. EQ2 had some very small, and sad zones.

I do NOT want to see an economy that gets knocked out of whack so quickly that it becomes annoying. I would rather see some type of barter system so you don't feel like you have to farm for gold.

I do NOT want to see the stupid faction system they had in WoW where you had to get in good with certain groups by grinding. I don't mind the faction system so much but it can't be based on grinding. I would rather see it based on reputation based on quests or actions in the community.

Originally posted by milamber@Jun 13 2006, 11:54 PM
I do NOT want to see the stupid faction system they had in WoW where you had to get in good with certain groups by grinding. I don't mind the faction system so much but it can't be based on grinding. I would rather see it based on reputation based on quests or actions in the community.
There is going to be an element of grind no matter what you do.

I grind my tai chi patterns to get better at tai chi.
I grind work to get faction points with my boss.

What we all hope for is *variety* of ways to grind. :P

The alternative is to ask for a game where every quest is unique, and a GM customises every one from the moment you sign up to the moment you finish. That is a world where a new Jet Li movie featuring Emmanuelle Chriqui comes out every day...

Originally posted by crisisfox+Jun 13 2006, 06:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ Jun 13 2006, 06:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milamber@Jun 13 2006, 11:54 PM
There is going to be an element of grind no matter what you do.

I grind my tai chi patterns to get better at tai chi.
I grind work to get faction points with my boss.

What we all hope for is *variety* of ways to grind. :P

The alternative is to ask for a game where every quest is unique, and a GM customises every one from the moment you sign up to the moment you finish. That is a world where a new Jet Li movie featuring Emmanuelle Chriqui comes out every day... [/b][/quote]
I agree completely, I don't really mind grinding, as long as it isnt the same grinding over and over, I have some good music, and I'm in a w/e mood.

A variety would be good.

Originally posted by Daax@Jun 14 2006, 06:10 AM
I grind your bones to make my bread. Fee fi fo fum. :Ph34r:
ROFL!!! Daax your so cute!

And for grind...I don't mind grind as long as I'm not limited to where and what I have to grind, too much. I don't wanna have to sit in one zone/area/whatever they call it in this game for like 5-10 lvls killing basicaly the same stuff than move on, which every MMO currently makes you do...But HJ Looks like its very...um..variety-filled :D

I love faction systems. I just don't want factions to be as slowly gained and as tedious as they are in WoW. Also faction grinding isn't bad when you have a great variety of ways to grind for every faction.

First: Hi all, just happened to stumble across this thing called Hero's Journey. Sounds pretty exciting (rewards for RP, Wyr system for clothing...).

Anyway, things I would not want to see include:

1) Farming: Probably the foremost reason I stopped playing WoW was the need to spend an unreasonable amount of time farming gold just so that I could buy enough mana-potions to go raiding (which I think is terrific) with my guild (and I found farming with my holy-priest darn hard). When playing a game I don't want it to feel like work (i.e. repetitive and boring).

2) Faction grinding: See point 1). Absolutely annoying.

I should point out that I have developed these dislikes by playing WoW, which offers huge rewards for power-gaming (grind, farm, spend your life in WoW and you will have the best character). Things may be different in a game, where the focus is on roleplaying and having fun, and the farming incentives are not as high.

3) travel times. I seriously dislike having to spend more than 30 minutes to get from one location to another. Every single time, as in WoW when fetching the holy water to extinguish the flames in Molten Core (never actually took time but the whole journey probably takes close to 3/4 of an hour). I wouldn't mind doing it once. Or even once in a while. But having to do it over and over again is just not fun.

Well, one feature that will be in HJ is the ability to warp to locations you've already been to. So extremely long traversing shouldn't really be a problem unless (like me) long walking is part of your roleplay or you just like seeing the sites.

I don't really mind long travel if the environment is nice, and I actually like being able to gain faction by killing mobs in alot of ways, just think of it as helping out the faction if your a RPer :P

Agreed. Faction standings provide a way to quantify the reaction of NPCs on your actions, making the gaming world appear more dynamical. Having to choose sides also encourages role-playing. I just don't like to excessively grind for it.

Same thing about travel times. In WoW the entire population would constantly travel half way round the world and back again. I shudder to think of what the exhaust fumes of all that griffons are doing to the upper atmosphere. Some of the frequently visited locations were so far apart, I am convinced Blizzard did it on purpose (after all, a player who spents half of his online time traveling won't have as much desire for new content).

A big thing for me is that I really hope they use as little "zoning" as possible. I want the world to be immersive and zoning takes away from that. I know it can cause lag, but if the small company that does EVE can pull it off with virtually no lag, so can Simutronics. The technology is there, they have the inginuity, I hope they dont go lazy about it.

Originally posted by Duraenos@Jun 17 2006, 08:44 AM
...if the small company that does EVE can pull it off with virtually no lag...
False.

I don't know if they changed much of anything in EVE, but when I was playing (about a year or so ago) there was a huge cry-out to have a separate server for alliance battles. The system could not handle a larage number of complex ships constantly demanding relative data. One famous battle of 100+ ships was won when one of the sides warped in, causing critical system stress whic booted half the ships in one fleet off the server.

I think in HJ the instancing is going to exist to allow people to do quests without people waiting in line to kill that same boss, and all comparable malarchy. I think such a goal is worth a little suspension of disbelief.

lol you kind of shot your self in the foot on that one, "One famous BATTLE of 100+ ships was won when one of the sides warped in, causing critical system stress whic booted half the ships in one fleet off the server." Of course there is going to be severe lag when that many ships go at it, launching thousands of missiles with their particle effects, smoke trails, all the laser, bombs, explosions, etc. There was a few threads over time about a different server, but there was never a HUGE outcry from the player base. I played the beta and subscribed to EVE for 2yrs after it launched. I remember that battle, yes I crashed. but I simply relogged in and kept on trucking. Point is, EVE is ahead of the game when it comes to server technology for being such a small company.

Back