I Want to See You Again

neumy

Cadet
Hi everybody! This story has been posted at SD-1 and Allies before they lost their data. So it might be familiar to you. Its rather long – I Want To See You Again is itself 23 chapters. But people have liked it in the past. I hope that you enjoy reading this. I’ll post as much as I can! Thank you!
DISCLAIMER: I don’t own Alias. I don’t own any part of it. No money is being made off of this! Its not mine!

CHAPTER ONE

I don't know who I am anymore.
I don't have amnesia; I'm not sick. I've just lost the woman I was. The woman I was died when he did.
I'm not Sydney Bristow; I am currently Annie McFarland. I'm not a brown-eyed brunette, spunky and tough. Not anymore. I can still act perky, but that's all it is; an act. Nowadays, I'm a blonde with bright green eyes.
Everyday I make sure my eyes aren't like his were. They can't be the deep, beautiful, sparkling jade. They can't be wonderful and full of life. My surrogate eyes are lifeless.
I crumble inside just a little more each time I see his face in my mind. Each time I see his smile or remember his touch, I take one step closer to death.
I'm dying all the time.
I can never reach out to him, save him, hold him. I can never rescue him with my strong hand. I can never tell him.
Because every time I try, every time that I get just a little bit closer to him, he dissolves. A figment of my lost mind, he's never really there. He can't really hear me when I tell him that I love him. I wish he could. More than anything, I wish he could hear me. I wish I could hear him say it to me. I'm no fool. I know he loved me. I know he still does.
Wherever he is, I need him to still love me. That naïve belief is all that keeps me going. The ever-dwindling hope that he is alive somewhere and still loves me is all that keeps me alive. That belief is all that keeps me succumbing to the urge to drown in my misery.
I need to feel his love. I need to hear his precious words. I need to feel his touch, his hope, his joy. I need him to know that I'll never forget him. I need him to know that.
But more than anything, I need him.
He told me it was a simple reconnaissance mission. "I won't be gone for more than a day. A simple grab and run. You know the deal."
That 'one day' soon turned into two days, three days, a week, then two weeks. Finally, three weeks after he left, Kendall called me in using Eric Weiss and his own version of 'Joey's Pizza.' Eric was my replacement handler while Vaughn was missing; Kendall knew that I'd be a bit more at ease knowing that Eric, being Vaughn's best friend, wouldn't lie to me if they heard anything whatsoever. Eric would be straightforward with me.
Eric greeted me as I walked in and lead me to a private conference room near the hallway to my mother's cell. When I allowed myself to be ushered into the room, Dad was there. His face was so somber… to have expected good news would have been not only naïve, but also ignorant.
At first I thought that my SD-6 cover had been blown. But as I looked at my father's face, that thought was quickly pushed aside. If I'd been made by SD-6, I wouldn't be wasting time at the operations center; Eric Weiss needn't have been in the room. Hell, Weiss needn't have been in the same building.
It was Vaughn. I just knew that something had developed; I was almost giddy at the thought that Vaughn might be alive, somewhere safe in C.I.A. custody.
But then, Kendall's remorseful eye caught mine. And I knew. I knew that he was really gone.
The only other time that I'd broken down in front of someone as I did that day was when I was with Vaughn. No one else would understand what was going on. I never even needed to tell him what was wrong. He always seemed to know.
Because my one true guide in life, my one true stronghold was gone, I had no idea who to turn to. I sat in that conference room with Kendall, looking as if he'd rather be anywhere but there, my father, not sure of what to do for me, and Eric, silent tears running down his face.
Kendall began to mutter something about finding a body that greatly matched Vaughn description near where the op took place. There was nothing more that they could do. But I didn't want to hear it. For three weeks I'd been harassing Kendall to do more, to send more people after him. Vaughn deserved the best. He deserved the best that could have ever been offered to him.
But as Kendall began to describe the state of the body, the tears came. I didn't even cry that much for Danny. True, I could never compare the two, that wouldn't be fair to either of them, but I had seen the proof that Danny had died.
Vaughn… Vaughn was different. He could very well have still been alive, and the C.I.A. was going to leave him alone, wherever he was. Of course, Kendall tried to explain this situation to me.
"Agent Bristow, I'm aware of how much you cared for Agent Vaughn. I truly am. But we have a 95% guarantee that this man is in fact Agent Vaughn. Miss Bristow, Agent Vaughn-"
"Did he suffer?"
My voice was so cold that I was surprised that even I didn't shiver. I knew I'd regret this question, but I had to know.
"Agent Kendall. Did Vaughn suffer? Was he tortured, or hurt, or just…" My voice trailed off and Kendall thought that this meant that I was just rambling.
But I had to know.
"Agent Kendall. Answer my daughter. She deserves to know the truth. He was her handler. You owe her that much," my father stated.
As Kendall hesitantly opened his mouth to speak, Eric stood up and walked out. The tears were streaming freely down his face by now, and knowing the truth to this question would be too much for him. Even I understood that. Before he left, he murmured something almost incoherently. "Syd – Agent Bristow," he began, knowing that I wouldn't be able to stand hearing Vaughn's name for me. "I'll contact you about your next counter mission."
I nodded, and knew that I owed him an answer. "Thank you, Eric. Thank you so much."
With that, he turned and walked away. And I was free to turn my attention to Vaughn. "Agent Kendall, I know what it's like to be tortured. I know what it's like to be degraded to the lowest sense of the word. I need to know that Vaughn didn't go through that pain. Please. Please! Tell me something," I pleaded, knowing that Kendall would not give me a straight answer.
Instead of Kendall's refusal though, I heard the voice of my father. "He was held captive for two and a half weeks. His captors were trying to find information about you, me, SD-6, and its so-called affiliation with the C.I.A. Sydney, Agent Vaughn went through a lot, provided that this man is in fact him. I truly do not believe, though, that he is gone. It is my impression that Vaughn was captured by K-Directorate and held for information about a mole. I think that maybe on a mission, Anna Espinosa heard you speaking with Vaughn on your comm. The agency probably checked him out, found out that he was C.I.A., and started to suspect that something was going on."
"Sydney, you know that he was strong," my father continued. "He'd be able to withstand anything they threw at him. But just in case they may have gotten something out of him and told SD-6, we need to assume that our covers may be blown."
Kendall jumped in. Apparently my father had discussed this with him already. "We need to work out a plan, in case your father is right. We need to discuss your options, your views on-"
As the conversation had switched away from Vaughn, I felt a sick feeling in my stomach. I stood up to walk out, softly saying, "This is not a time to worry about me. I refuse to believe that Vaughn is dead. I absolutely do not believe that that could be true. Please inform me if you hear anything."
Kendall tried to stop me from leaving, but my father knew that I wouldn't be coherent enough for conversation. He knew that I couldn't take anymore of this. For the first time in his life, my father understood what was going on inside of me.
I think I went to my mother's cell after that, but all I remember was the tears. All I remember was the pain that was snowballing inside of me. I remember praying that he was alive. I remember praying that if he had died, I hoped that he hadn't felt too much pain. He didn't deserve that. He did not deserve that.
I don't remember much of that conversation with my mom. All that I remember was that she wanted to help. She wanted to ease my pain more than anything. "Sydney, I know this is difficult for you. You can't understand this now, but I know that you feel so desperate. I want to help the C.I.A. find him."
I started to interrupt, to tell them that they found a body, but she interjected. "Sydney, I know that you honestly don't believe that Agent Vaughn is dead. I don't either. I want you to listen very carefully." I listened intently, knowing that this could help Vaughn. "Tell Kendall that I have information. Important information that could lead to the recovery of Agent Vaughn and help bring an end to SD-6. Please inform him of that. I know that you need Agent Vaughn, Sydney. Go get Kendall."
I practically ran out of that dingy hallway, wishing that the gates would open faster. As soon as I reached Kendall, he began to speak, but I cut him off. "My mother has something she wants to tell you. Do not argue with me right now. The least you can do is talk to her. You owe Vaughn that much."
Reluctantly, he walked toward my mother's cell. When he reached his destination, he stopped and looked at her inquisitively. "You have something to share?"
She began to reveal that which gave her the power. She let that go for me, for Vaughn. I still am eternally grateful to her for that. "In a small island in the Philippines, there is a small safehouse built for the operatives of my organization. In it, there is a safe. In the safe are disks that may severely detriment both SD-6 and the Alliance of Twelve."
Almost reading Kendall's mind, she continued. " I kept quiet until now because this was all that was left to keep me around and useful. It was once my leverage, but this, finding Agent Vaughn, destroying SD-6, is clearly more important than anything else. You must trust me. You must trust this information. This is your most clear shot at bringing down your enemies. This is your only shot at bringing down your enemies."
Something in her voice pleaded with Kendall to believe what she was saying. My father's look of pure shock proved to me that he trusted her intel. I think that in that moment, he realized that she wasn't going anywhere. He realized that she really did love me. She was trying to pay for the awful things she had done. And he knew it.
"Ms. Derevko," Kendall began. "If you are at all trying to harm our organization, you will pay severely, do you understand that?"
"Of course," she replied bitterly. "I am doing this because I fully understand the pain many people have been put through because of those evil men. I'm not saying that I'm better than they are, but they need to be taken down. I will not betray this country again. You have my word."
With that, Kendall sent in the men who orchestrate the missions. They set up an operation, sending agents to the Philippines.
The hope that I felt in that moment overwhelmed my pain. I had a naïve sense of comfort, believing that this would help Vaughn. My hope overrode my doubt, which I now see was foolish.
My mother was truthful in her admission, her intel did prove useful to the eventual takedown of the Alliance, but it did nothing for Vaughn.
This wasn't only disheartening to me; she, too, was upset that this didn't help. Shortly after the disks were received and I was told that there was nothing that could be used to help Vaughn, I went to speak with her. I sat across from her, directly against the glass. I needed to feel her comfort, her love.
"Sydney, truthfully, I didn't do this to help takedown SD-6. I know that you see Agent Vaughn as something more than a coworker, even as something more than a good friend. He is the only person you trust, and I respect that." Her gaze lifted up to mine, and there was a loneliness, a longing reflected in her eyes. "Please tell me if I can help you in any way. I was never there for you before; I realize that. But, Sydney, I'm here now. And I want to be the mother I never got to be. I wish that there was something I could do."
Silent tears streamed down my face and hers, and she stuck her fingers through the metal grating to touch mine. With that simple gesture, I finally admitted to myself that I didn't only need Vaughn; I missed him with every ounce of my soul. I wanted to hold him, tell him that I loved him. I wanted to walk with him on the beach, go to a hockey game with him. I'd go to that damn warehouse every day if it meant I'd get to see him again.
I just wanted to see him again. But I had a growing dread that that would never happen.

So, shall I post more? Thank you for reading, I hope you liked it!

-neumy

Yay!!!! :woot:
I'm the first to reply!! :P
I really liked it and you should really continue :smiley:
I hope that Vaughn is somehow still alive :(
Could you please send me a pm when you update? I would really appreciate that :angelic:
Thank you
--Patricia--

Thank you for the reviews! Two for one today!
Disclaimer: As usual, I don't own Alias.

CHAPTER TWO

He'd been gone for a month and a half. My mother's disks helped the C.I.A. infiltrate all of the SD cells. The Agency saved the takedown of SD-6 for last, knowing that they were the strongest of all the groups. To gradually weaken them would prove beneficial and make our job easier.
And it did. Eventually, we got the once impossible job done. Arvin Sloane, along with every other member of the Alliance, was in a super maximum-security prison. Marshall and Dixon both work for the real C.I.A.
These facts alone should have made me absolutely ecstatic. After all, for two years, these had been my only goals. To take them down and be free.
But I wasn't happy. I wasn't free. He wasn't there to share the victory with me. And he was the main reason the victory had occurred in the first place.
But he still wasn't here.
After it ended, I was free to tell Francie the truth. Will now knew everything. He known that Vaughn was gone – no, missing – but I had left that out of my story to Francie. I of course had told her about my handler, Michael Vaughn. But I did not tell her that he was presumed dead.
I realized this when her eyes lit up as she had a thought. "Syd, Michael Vaughn, he's the Michael, right? Does this mean that you can be together now that protocol isn't in the way to stop you?"
I sat there for a moment, shell-shocked. Then as the tears came, I felt sick. If he'd been here, we most likely would have been together. I would have made sure of that. I loved him and I wanted to be with him forever. I knew that even before he was gone.
I fled to the bathroom leaving Francie's question unanswered.
Will must have stepped in and explained it to her, because ten minutes later she walked into bathroom with tears in her eyes. Instead of saying anything, she sat on the harsh tile next to me. Instead of saying 'I'm sorry' like everyone else did, she made me a promise. "Syd, you're gonna find him. I know it. You're gonna find him, rescue him, kiss him, ask him out, marry him, have lots of babies with him, and you're gonna grow really, really old with him."
"Francie, how can you know that? How can you possibly know something like that?" I asked her, wanting to know where her knowledge came from.
Her answer was simple, direct. "Because you deserve it, Syd. You care about him more than anyone in the whole world. Your eyes give you away. They always have with me. You just didn't know it. Plus, I've never met him, but if Will likes him, that must means he's deserves it, too."
I broke down at my friend's words. "Francie," I began through my tears, "he does. Francie, he deserves to live more than anyone. He's just… I can't even say. And I love him. It isn't some silly crush or infatuation. I love him. I love him so much, Francie. And I wish I could know for sure that he loved me," I cried.
"He did, Sydney," Will said softly. Both Francie and I jumped at his sudden reappearance, but he kept talking. "Sydney, the man would do anything for you. He would've kicked the ass of anyone that tried to hurt you. He did, on occasion," he added, laughing. "He seriously would have done anything for you, Sydney. You know that, right?"
I nodded weakly, knowing that he was right. After crying for a long while, I soon mumbled something incoherently about needing to go to bed. Will pulled me up and let me lean up against him, leading me to my room. Francie followed close behind.
Will laid me down in bed, then he and Francie both stayed there with me until long after I cried myself to sleep.
The only dreams I had were of him. Where he was safe and here with me. We'd have the perfect life that Francie hoped we could have. We were happy. Together.
But that was only in my dreams.
For the first time, my phone rang and it was Eric Weiss. This of course, wasn't knew. What was unusual, though, was that he didn't speak in code. He asked me how I was doing, knowing the answer already, then told me that Kendall wanted me to come in and discuss my 'plans for the future' as Eric quoted.
I told Eric I'd be there soon. Walking out the door, I gave Francie and Will a kiss goodbye, thanking them for the night before.
I got in my car, and by force of habit, checked for tails.
I knew right then that my life as a spy wasn't over. It could never be over. It was who I was.
I sighed at that thought, then walked straight into the operations center, not caring to be sneaky and take my alternate, much longer, much more complicated route.
Kendall's giddy voice greeted me. Yes, you heard that right; Kendall was absolutely giddy. "Agent Bristow! Hello. How are you? We owe you so much for your help, but first, we'd like to discuss some things with you. Is that okay?"
I was completely in awe. This was not the sarcastic, pessimistic, 'the world is out to get me' man I was so accustomed to; he was, dare I say, perky. He was acting like Marshall. "Um, yeah, sure, that'd be just fine."
I followed him into a conference room. My breath hitched when I realized that this was where the terrible news about Vaughn had been delivered. A terrible sense of déjà vu washed over me as I saw Weiss and my dad sitting at the table. In the same spots as before.
My dad looked up as I entered and saw the fear in my eyes. I think Eric got it, too, because they exchanged a look then both stood.
"Agent Kendall," Eric began, "could we do this somewhere else? In another room perhaps? This one's kind of… downtrodden, plus I left an important file in conference room B." He was fishing for excuses, and I appreciated that more than I could ever say.
My dad even jumped in. "You know, Agent Weiss is right. Let's find something more… sunny, shall we?"
At that moment, when Jack Bristow uttered the word 'sunny,' I knew he'd do anything for me. You see, Jack Bristow is not the kind of man who uses words like 'sunny' in everyday conversation.
And Kendall, the poor schmuck, was too high on victory to notice that these excuses were feeble… at best. Not that I minded, of course. I would have done anything to get out of that room. "Why not?" Kendall interjected. "The room is pretty dreary. Let's go."
Just like a little kid on Christmas morning!
I couldn't stop the thought from ricocheting through my mind, sending a small smile to my lips.
Breathing a sigh of relief, I followed the three men out of that hideous room filled with memories of his downfall. I grabbed my father's hand, needing a sense of comfort. He looked down at me, smiled, and then linked his arm through mine.
We walked like this through a maze of hallways. I was simply happy that I was not the leader of the group; even if I had been fully coherent, I probably would have led us to Siberia. But with Vaughn's… situation, the takedown of SD-6, and the realization that I didn't have to live a lie anymore, my thoughts were slurred and indistinct. Plus, the operations center was a maze itself, with tons of side hallways and offices.
We reached what must have been 'conference room B,' because Kendall, suddenly the gentleman, opened the door and allowed my father, Eric, and me to enter.
Eric hadn't been lying; this room was full of files, presumably about the entire SD-6 case. As promised, this room was more 'sunny.' My observation, though, was probably based on the fact that life-crushing news hadn't been delivered here. Yet.
Kendall motioned for us to take a seat, and I didn't leave my father's side. If one good thing could come out of the disaster formerly known as my life, I'd keep it. My growing relationship with my dad was one of those things that I was going to hold onto with everything I could give.
"Agent Bristow – Sydney," Kendall began. "Again I must thank you for your help in destroying SD-6. Your services are taken very highly into account. I'm not blind; I know that we've never really been 'buddies.' But please know that I respect you for the things you've done, the things you've sacrificed."
He looked down, knowing the biggest sacrifice I'd been dealing with lately. I looked up at him and nodded, truly appreciating his attempt to patch things over with me. Truly appreciating his attempt to be a real person, not an indifferent director of operations for the U.S. Government.
Soon, though, he reverted somewhat to form. "Okay. Let's begin."
'Begin' was an understatement. For five hours, we sat in that room discussing my options. I'd decided that leaving the C.I.A. was not a good choice for me. I'd seen too much in my lifetime to go home and pretend that I didn't know what went bump in the night. I remembered what I felt when I still believed that SD-6 was the good guys. I wanted to feel that way again. I wanted to interact with my mother, something that was impossible to do if I'd gotten out of espionage.
These were the reasons that I'd voiced to the three men sitting with me in the room. There was really only one driving reason, though, that I wanted to stay with C.I.A. I wasn't going to lie to myself; I wanted to find Vaughn. I needed immediate updates about where he might have been. I knew I could count on Eric, but there was still the dread that someone could forget how much I love him and leave me out of the know.
A naïve thought, yes, but I couldn't help it. I wasn't going to let another stupid mistake kill the man that I loved so much.
No. Love. Love so much. He is out there. I know it. And now, I'm going to find him.

CHAPTER THREE

A few months later, I was still having trouble readjusting. Weiss was my handler, but we no longer needed to use a code to be in contact. We no longer had to meet in the confine of the warehouse, or discreetly at the pier. It was nice to be able to say 'hey' on the phone to whatever C.I.A. guy was calling. It was nice to go into work like a normal person. Well, semi-normal, seeing as how most people don't work for the C.I.A.
And if I was to be completely honest with myself, the reason I was having trouble readjusting was not because of the abrupt change of order; it was because Vaughn was still missing.
We were now quite positive that SD-6 and the Alliance had nothing to do with his disappearance. He would have most likely been found in the invasions the C.I.A. sanctioned. The teams had only finished inspecting all of the buildings affiliated with the Alliance a few weeks earlier.
On every mission I've been on, I've looked for him. I always remembered how I found in Cap Ferrat after the Taipei incident; that had been on a mission. It was purely a coincidence. Couldn't that happen again? I have always prayed that it would.
I've been to Barnett a few times since he's been gone; she really is a good listener. I have been assured that out conversations can not be discussed with any of the higher ups unless I reveal information that I've done something that goes against this country.
Barnett is really perceptive; the first thing she told me was that our talks would be confidential. Before I could speak, she said, "Your feelings and personal life are confidential, Sydney. I want you to understand that. You don't need to hold back. I'm here to listen, to help, not to judge your actions or feelings."
And as far as I know, she hasn't broken that promise. I have really appreciated that from her.
Barnett aside, I still didn't know how to cope with his disappearance. I tried talking to Will, but he didn't have any wisdom to impart. He gave me the usual 'Don't worry, Syd. It'll all work out.' Francie was a little more delicate and understanding. She knew that I had fears that he was being put through immense amounts of pain. After all, how many times had I been tortured to find to secrets about the organization I was working with, be it SD-6 or C.I.A.? I was deathly afraid that he was suffering through that torture because of his affiliation with me.
How did Francie come to this realization? She's not some awesome precog who can read minds and predict the future; she's just Francie. Francie knows this because in one of my many moments of complete mental weakness and breakdown, I told her. I told her everything. I confessed to her everything that I wasn't supposed to be feeling according to the C.I.A.'s rules. I confessed to her everything I should be feeling according to the rules of being a person with a heart. That's how Francie put it, at least.
I really don't think that I would've made it through some of the tough times if Francie hadn't been there. I've made her funny shaped pancakes every morning to repay her for her kindness. This may sound absolutely juvenile to you, but Francie loves her funny shaped pancakes.
Another person who has really helped me is someone that I'd never even suspect, even with my paranoia. My mother, Irina Derevko, a heartless, cold-blooded killer (or so I thought) has been a big stronghold for me. After her major part in the takedown of the Alliance, Kendall was on his victory high and granted her more freedoms. People are now allowed in her 'cage,' as we call it, and she is treated not so much like a prisoner, but a person.
Don't get me wrong; I'm not yet at a place where I could forgive her for her past. After all, she did abandon me and she did kill the father of the man I love.
But she understands that; never once has she asked for my forgiveness. She knows that when I'm ready, I'll tell her. She understands that her wrongdoings aren't anything normal; we're talking about murder, abandonment, deception. Not really things most people go through in their life.
My mom likes Vaughn; she tells me that all the time. She says that he treated her the best out of all of the government officials in the building. She had expected, if she would've met a son of her victims, to be treated with hate and malice. "But Agent Vaughn, he's different," she once confessed. "Special. Most people in our situation wouldn't have hesitated to kill me. But your Agent Vaughn asked me if I would want cream or sugar in my coffee. Kendall wasn't even going to let me have coffee, and your Agent Vaughn gave me a choice, a preference. He's a wonderful man, Sydney. He is a great man."
He was always my Agent Vaughn in her eyes. I liked the sound of that. It wasn't because there had been two Agent Vaughns over the years; it was because I was his and he was mine, even if protocol and basically the whole world said otherwise.
My mother was getting to know me well; she always spoke of him in present tense, as did I. I was still completely convinced that I'd find him some day. So was she. Every time we talked, she said, "One day, he'll be there. You'll find him, Sydney. I promise. You will find him."
After one particular meeting, we were both crying, as usual, and I stood to leave, not sure of what else to say to her. She stopped me by calling my name out softly, and I turned around. She'd never tried to reassure me before that he had loved me back when he was here; I had never needed to hear it.
But that one day, she turned to me and spoke. "Sydney. I don't need to tell you that he loved you. He loved you more than life itself. Please understand that. But Sydney," she continued, "understand this, as well: I love you, too. I know, you set… terms for our conversations, but we both know that that has changed. I just need you to know that you've lost your confidant for now; you've lost the person you love. But I'm not going anywhere. Even if I could, I wouldn't leave. You need to understand that you can come to me with anything. I can be someone to love you. Because I do. You're my little girl, Sydney. And I love you so much. I just wanted you to know."
Tears were streaming down both of our faces now, and I turned to go, not knowing what could be said to that. Then, as if my voice had a free will, I softly mumbled, "I love you, too, Mom. I will never be able to express how much your kindness means to me. I just… I love you, too."
And with no more words needed, I walked away.

So?? Hope you enjoed it.

mmmm it's been awhile since I've traveled to old fic land. Neums, you should be so glad your first fic is as good as it is. Most people have horrible first fics...yours is absolutely wonderful. Love ya hon,

Duck

P.S. :cool: <- Do you think this works better as a thug smilie? :D

hi there ! Neumy, that's a very interesting story, it's well-written and we can feel what Sydney's going through ! Please pm me when you'll post the next chapters ! Update ASAP !! :smiley:
bye bye !!

Back