Jennifer is Broadway Bound for Fall 2007!

I should have posted this last week! Sorry for the delay. :blush:

Broadway Buzz | Videos, Interviews, Photos, News and Tickets | Broadway.com

Kevin Kline, Jennifer Garner Set for Broadway Cyrano de Bergerac

Kevin Kline will play the title role in a forthcoming Broadway production of Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac, co-starring with Jennifer Garner as the object of his affection, Roxane, and Daniel Sunjata as his protege, Christian. The 10-week limited engagement, directed by David Leveaux (Fiddler on the Roof, Nine, Jumpers, The Real Thing), will be performed with a text translated and adaptated by Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange). Previews will begin October 12 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre, and opening night is set for November 1, through December 23 only.

Based on a true story, Cyrano de Bergerac is a classic tale of romance and tragedy. The soulful poet/philosopher and brilliant swordsman Cyrano (Kline), a cadet in the French Army, falls for the beautiful, strong-willed Roxane (Garner), but is too ashamed of his large nose to tell her. Instead, when he learns that she loves the handsome but not-so-bright Christian de Neuvillette (Sunjata), he writes poetry and love letters to Roxane on Christian's behalf. After many years, the truth is revealed. Will love or beauty conquer all?

The original production of Cyrano de Bergerac opened in Paris 1897 starring Beno?t-Constant Coquelin, who performed the role over 400 times. A translated production opened on Broadway at The Garden Theatre in 1899. The longest-running Broadway production starred Walter Hampden in 1923. Jos? Ferrer won a Tony Award for his performance in a 1946 Broadway staging, the highlight of which was a special performance in which Ferrer played the title role for the first four acts and Hampden assumed it for the fifth. The play was last seen on Broadway in 1984 starring Derek Jacobi; Frank Langella starred in a shortened off-Broadway production in 1997.
Kline played the title role in King Lear at the Public Theater last season and has starred in two productions of Hamlet as well as in Henry V, Richard III, Henry IV, Mother Courage, The Seagull, Ivanov, Much Ado About Nothing, Arms and the Man and Loose Ends. He earned Tony Awards for The Pirates of Penzance and On the Twentieth Century. On film, Kline won an Academy Award for A Fish Called Wanda and has starred in De-Lovely, Life as a House, Cry Freedom, In & Out, The Ice Storm, The Pirates of Penzance, Dave, The Big Chill and Sophie's Choice.

Garner was an understudy in the Roundabout Theatre Company's 1995 Broadway revival of A Month in the Country. A Golden Globe winner for TV's Alias, she has appeared in the films Daredevil, Catch Me If You Can, 13 Going On 30, Catch & Release and the upcoming The Kingdom.

Sunjata received a 2003 Tony nomination for Richard Greenberg's Take Me Out and appeared in a 1997 Central Park production of Henry VIII and a Williamstown Theatre Festival production of Camino Real. He is currently featured as Reggie Jackson in the ESPN miniseries The Bronx is Burning and is a regular on FX's Rescue Me. Sunjata has appeared on TV in Sex and The City and in the feature film The Devil Wears Prada.

From Variety.com that same day
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797053...yid=15&cs=1
Posted: Mon., Aug. 20, 2007, 3:00pm PT
Jennifer Garner set for 'Cyrano'
Actress joins Kevin Kline in Broadway revamp
By GORDON COX

Jennifer Garner gets a new alias this fall, starring opposite Kevin Kline in a Broadway revival of 'Cyrano de Bergerac' to be helmed by David Leveaux ('Nine') at the Richard Rodgers Theater.
Garner will play Roxane to Kline's Cyrano in Edmond Rostand's 1897 tale of the hopeless romantic with the Pinocchio schnozz. Daniel Sunjata ('Take Me Out') co-stars as the dumb-but-hot object of Roxane's affection.

It's not quite a Rialto debut for Garner, who spent five years as a secret agent on the ABC skein 'Alias': Thesp understudied two roles for the 1995 Broadway revival of 'A Month in the Country.'

Kline has been a regular on the Gotham stage in the last couple of years ('King Lear,' 'Mother Courage and Her Children,' both at the Public), although 'Cyrano' will be his first commercial Broadway production since 'On the Twentieth Century' in 1978.

Rostand's famous comedy has not appeared on Broadway since a 1984 Royal Shakespeare Company revival that starred Derek Jacobi.

Produced by Susan Bristow, 'Cyrano' begins previews at the Rodgers Oct. 12 for a Nov. 1 opening. Limited engagement ends Dec. 23.

From Broadway's Playbill.com comes a more detailed article.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/110454.html

Kevin Kline, Jennifer Garner and Daniel Sunjata Are Cyrano Triangle for Broadway
By Kenneth Jones
20 Aug 2007

Nosy reporters had previously sniffed out a story that producers finally confirmed Aug. 20: Kevin Kline will play Edmond Rostand's romantic hero Cyrano de Bergerac on Broadway this fall.

A strictly limited 10-week engagement of the 1897 French drama about the ugly, large-nosed soldier-poet ? and the ghostwriting he does to woo fair Roxane for a pal ? starts Oct. 12 toward a Nov. 1 opening at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.

Academy Award and Tony Award winner Kline ("A Fish Called Wanda," The Pirates of Penzance, On the 20th Century) will star as poet-swordsman Cyrano with Golden Globe winner Jennifer Garner (TV's "Alias") making her Broadway debut as Roxane (she was an understudy in A Month in the Country for Roundabout Theatre Company in 1995). Tony Award nominee Daniel Sunjata (Take Me Out) rounds out the love triangle as Christian.

Edmond Rostand's romantic classic, in a translation and adaptation by the late Anthony Burgess ("A Clockwork Orange"), will be directed by Tony Award nominee David Leveaux (Nine, Fiddler on the Roof, The Glass Menagerie, Jumpers, The Real Thing).

Inspired by a true story, Cyrano de Bergerac, according to the producers, "is a classic tale of romance and tragedy. The soulful poet/philosopher and brilliant swordsman Cyrano (Kline), a cadet in the French Army, falls for the beautiful, strong-willed Roxane (Garner), but is too ashamed of his large nose to tell her. Instead, when he learns that she loves the handsome Christian de Neuvillette (Sunjata), his dim-witted comrade, he pens poetry and love letters to Roxane on Christian's behalf. After many years, the truth is revealed. Will love or beauty conquer all?"

Tickets to Cyrano de Bergerac go on sale via an exclusive pre-sale to American Express cardholders Aug. 22, and to the general public on Sept. 8 at www.Ticketmaster.com.

David Leveaux has directed nine Broadway revivals: The Glass Menagerie, Jumpers, Fiddler on the Roof, Nine, Betrayal, The Real Thing, Electra, Anna Christie and A Moon for the Mibsegotten. He was Tony-nominated for his direction of Moon for the Misbegotten, Anna Christie, The Real Thing, Nine and Jumpers.

The versatile Kline is known for his work both on stage and screen. He recently starred in the title role of Off-Broadway's King Lear and also played in Mother Courage and Her Children and The Seagull for The Public Theater. Kline was Tony-nominated for his stint in Broadway's Henry IV and won Tonys for his work in The Pirates of Penzance and On the Twentieth Century. The Juilliard graduate has appeared in the films "Sophie's Choice," "Dave," "In & Out," "Soapdish," "De-Lovely," "The Big Chill," "The Ice Storm" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Kline won the Academy Award for his performance in "A Fish Called Wanda."

Jennifer Garner won a Golden Globe Award for her work in "Alias"; she has also been nominated for four Emmy Awards for her portrayal of Sydney Bristow on that television series. Her other screen credits include "Catch and Release," "Elektra," "13 Going on 30," "Daredevil," "Catch Me If You Can," "Felicity," "Rennie's Landing," "Pearl Harbor," "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "Time of Your Life." Garner made her Broadway debut in the 1995 revival of A Month in the Country; she was the understudy for the roles of Katya and Verochka.

Sunjata currently stars in FX's "Rescue Me," the critically acclaimed one-hour drama currently in production for its third season, and as Reggie Jackson in the ESPN miniseries "The Bronx is Burning" with John Turturro and Oliver Platt. Film credits include "The Devil Wears Prada," "Melinda and Melinda," "Bad Company" and "Noel." In 2004, Sunjata portrayed Langston Hughes in the Rodney Evans film "Brother to Brother." His television credits include notable appearances on "Law & Order: SVU" and Sex and the City", as well as co-starring roles in the WB's series "D.C." and Showtime's film "The Feast of All Saints." He was nominated for a Tony Award for Take Me Out, the 2003 Tony Award winning play by Richard Greenberg. He has also appeared in The Public Theater's Henry VIII and Twelfth Night at the Guthrie Theater.

A production of Cyrano de Bergerac has not been mounted on Broadway since 1984. The original production opened in 1897 starring Benoit-Constant Coquelin, who performed the role over 400 times at the Theatre de la Porte-Saint-Martin in Paris. A translated production opened at The Garden Theatre in New York in 1899. The longest-running Broadway production starred Walter Hampden in 1923. Jose Ferrer won a Tony Award for his performance in the role in a 1946 Broadway staging. For a special performance of it, Ferrer played the title role for the first four acts and Hampden assumed it for the fifth.

The most famous film versions are the 1950 picture starring Ferrer (for which he won the Academy Award) and the 1990 French-language version starring Gerard Depardieu. In 1987, Steve Martin and Darryl Hannah starred in a comedic re-interpretation called "Roxanne"

"Further engraining itself into theatrical and world history, Cyrano de Bergerac is cited as being responsible for introducing the word 'panache' (literally translated as 'white plume,' but more generally known to mean 'elegant assertiveness') into the English language as the only turn of phrase that captures the true spirit of its hero," according to production notes.

The plays of Rostand (1868-1918) include , Le Gant Rouge, Les Deux Pierrots, Ou Le Souper Blanc, Les Romanesques (which was adapted into The Fantasticks), L'aiglon, La Samaritaine, La Princesse Lointaine and Chantecler.

Burgess (1917-1993) was a British novelist, critic and composer. Burgess' fiction includes the "The Long Day Wanes, Nothing Like the Sun," "A Clockwork Orange" and "Earthly Powers." He wrote critical studies of Joyce, Hemingway, Shakespeare and Lawrence, produced the treatises on linguistics "Language Made Plain" and "A Mouthful of Air," and was a prolific journalist, writing in several languages. He also translated and adapted Oedipus the King, and Carmen for the stage; scripted "Jesus of Nazareth" and "Moses the Lawgiver" for the screen; invented the prehistoric language spoken in "Quest for Fire."

Also from August 20th:
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TV...r-Rox/800020809

Jennifer Garner 'Rox' Broadway's Cyrano

Alias' Sydney is teaming with another undercover agent of sorts - shy and super-schnozzed Cyrano de Bergerac - in a new Broadway staging of the romantic classic. Playing Cyrano to Jennifer Garner's Roxanne is Kevin Kline, while Rescue Me's Daniel Sunjata will fake ownership of Cy's poetic profferings as the delish-yet-dim Christian.

Cyrano starts previews Oct. 12 before opening Nov. 1.

Inspired by a true story
Broadway's Playbill.com needs to check its facts : just like D'artagnan in the 3 musketeers, Rostand's play is based on a true character not on a true story: Cyrano didn't have a huge nose, and he was not in love with his cousin Madeleine Robin

Kevin Kline should be an interesting Cyrano,eventhough he is a bit old for the part, especially considering that Cyrano and Roxane played together as children. As for JG as Roxane, that's a bad joke : she does't look anything like a witty and intellectual noblewoman, and she just does't have the necessary range, acting wise.

Broadway's Playbill.com needs to check its facts : just like D'artagnan in the 3 musketeers, Rostand's play is based on a true character not on a true story: Cyrano didn't have a huge nose, and he was not in love with his cousin Madeleine Robin

Kevin Kline should be an interesting Cyrano,eventhough he is a bit old for the part, especially considering that Cyrano and Roxane played together as children. As for JG as Roxane, that's a bad joke : she does't look anything like a witty and intellectual noblewoman, and she just does't have the necessary range, acting wise.

Let's give Jennifer a chance before saying that she's not right for the part.

We should allow for the casting directors excusing Kevin for being a bit old, and for Daniel Sunjata being multiracial, too (Wikipedia says that he is "An American of African, German and Irish heritage"). We're going to be watching a play, not watching a re-enactment of an actual event. :D

I bought a ticket today! Can't wait to see Jen at the Friday afternoon performance the day after Thanksgiving. I hope she will be there and it won't be an understudy.

UGH! I jinxed myself by going on here and posting my excitement about securing a ticket. I got a ticket for my birthday and the show was canceled because of the strike. Boo-hoo, my birthday plans are ruined!

broadway's back on now...

i almost got a ticket for my birthday, but my plans fell through. which ended up being a good thing because my birthday is when the strike began.

Back