Martial Artist class

Daax

Cadet
Anybody know of any info on a martial artist type class? Or the primary and secondary class it would take to get this class? An MMORPG just doesn't feel right without a class that emphasizes on it's fists of fury.

I agree Daax, a martial arts class would be awesome. Hopefully there will at least be ways to enhance "unarmed" combat skills.

Even if they just go the FFXI monk route and offer brass knuckle/claw/cestus type weapons so we have a place to slot Wyr in our weapons and can still fight with our fists then I'd try it out. I'd still prefer a dedicated martial arts class over that scenario though.

Originally posted by Daax@May 24 2006, 05:30 PM
An MMORPG just doesn't feel right without a class that emphasizes on it's fists of fury.
That depends entirely on what kind of fantasy they are going with.

I know WoW doesn't have an unarmed combatant, I *think* EQ doesn't (but I never played the game), Simu's own games are not huge on unarmed combat by itself (though great use can be made of it to support a weapon).... Come to think of it I do not recall King Arthur and his knights having their plans thwarted by a half-naked guy jumping in from under a waterfall.

Now don't get me wrong: I love kung fu, I study it in some ways for a living, but I would not be devastated if there was no kung fu mastah class.

Afterall you can already become a necromancer and beat people to death with somebody else's bare hands. ;)

Originally posted by crisisfox@May 24 2006, 11:36 PM
Afterall you can already become a necromancer and beat people to death with somebody else's bare hands.  ;)
*muchly rofl-age*

That was kinda cute.

Incidentally, EQ did have a monk class. And Vanguard will have monks and disciples (healers who do unarmed combat), buuuut they won't have those classes in the medieval continent, only the asian-themed and arabian-themed continents. Same with psionicist I think.

I don't much care for transplanting Bruce Lee's into medieval settings, but Elanthia lore is already non-standard, soooo...if it fits, then cool.

In fact, one of the old screenshots showed something they referred to as a monk. *digs around*

Hmm, can't find it. But he had a bare chest and strappy stuff and some loose pants and a bald head. Very martial-artist-ish.

Edit: Found it!

ss178.jpg

Martial Artist, Monk, whataver you wanna call it. Yes this is a fantasy, but this is also HJ. Therefore COMPLETE customization would allow some type of unarmed hand to hand combat class.

Originally posted by Daax@May 25 2006, 11:10 AM
Martial Artist, Monk, whataver you wanna call it. Yes this is a fantasy, but this is also HJ. Therefore COMPLETE customization would allow some type of unarmed hand to hand combat class.
COMPLETE customization would allow one to slay one's foes not only without weapons, but also unrestricted by clothing. I would, however, be rather susprised if nudist raid parties will play a large part in Hero's Journey.

Again, I am not against kung fu mastah class, I am *definitely* not against the grammatton cleric class, and I could swing either way on persian immortals being introduced into the game. However assuming that something other than what we have been told about will be in the game is a way that may lead to disappointment.

That screenshot sure looks promising though! We love you, Foxy! :D

Yeah, EQ has Monk and EQ2 has Monk & Bruiser.

I wouldn't mind seeing a hand-2-hand class of some sort. Or better yet, just the ability to train in hand-2-hand for many classes. Personally I'm not a fan of kung-fu, but that doesn't mean that somebody could fight hand-2-hand using brute force, grapples, and general manhandling. Maybe training in hand-2-hand will lead to certain grapple moves that could be performed. *shrug* I like hand-2-hand and I use it all the time in Oblivion, but it's not the kung-fu waa waa cha pow stuff.

I'm hoping there is a class combo that results in the title Monk or Martial Artist or Bruiser. Please tell me there is frosty. I know you know. Reassure my doubts. PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEEEE......

Back