New E3 Review

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 15 2006, 04:44 PM
As for the races the current plan is to release with 4 playable races, the three you see on the screenshot and the Suwari (cats). The cats won't be able to be half-Burian or something because, frankly, that's just sick :lol: and also they were magically created creatures so very different.

Okay... so the original plan to release 4 races each with 2 subraces (Humans: Old Bloods, Togs; Stoneborn: Burian, Qwi; Ilvari: Mistfolk, Earthfolk; Suwari: Feral, Domestic) has changed? If so, color me completely disappointed :(

As for the races the current plan is to release with 4 playable races, the three you see on the screenshot and the Suwari (cats).

Ok, I'm editing this after thinking a little bit and relooking at the screenshot. I think the 2 subraces for each race is still an option. The screenshot only shows races, not the subraces (or the Suwari for reasons Sisca mentioned).

lol, if the above is not correct, and there is in fact only 4 selectable race/subraces then this was my response prior to being edited...posting it again so you all could laugh at my hasty reaction.

This doesn't make any sense to me at all from any direction. I may not be a marketing wizard, but it seems to me the point would be to appeal to as many people as you can, especially at launch. If you don't grab a player when the game launches they are not going to stick around until it becomes something that appeals...no, they'll go play the other MMO that they've had their eye on. We all know that MMO players are an impatient lot, and we all seem to have a need that an MMO will fill.

I don't care which way you look at it, when people are reading the back of a box and it says "Choose from 4 races"...well, I'd sit the box right back down. Heck, I have 10 other MMOs coming out where I actually have a choice of races.

Simu is going to be competing with WoW (which btw, is simply slaughtering the copetition in MMOs) EQ2, and a number of other games that will launch prior to, or with, HJ. They certainly could use every edge they can get in drawing players, and only including 4 races seems to me to be a step in the wrong direction.

Another impression this gives me is that Simu is, in fact, rushing the release of HJ. It's the only logical reason to release the game with so few races "we don't have time to finish them."

Anyhow, maybe I'm just a little hot right now since not including the Qwi pretty much ruined my entire character. Heck, I know many people that simply wouldn't play the game at all due to the fact there are not "short" races. Many people.

I'm very confused by this and by the screenshot which people are referring to. In that screenshot it shows a triangle with Human, Burian and Ilvari at each point. First of all, aren't Human and Ilvari broader race names than Burian which is a specific race? In other words, Human is further broken down in to Old Blood and Tog subraces and Ilvari in to Mistfolk and Earthfolk yet Burian is a subrace, along with Qwi, of Stoneborn.

Maybe there is just a basic misunderstanding here? Perhaps Burian is the broader race name for both Stoneborn (dwarves) and Qwi (gnomes)? Maybe the information that we all believed, that the Stoneborn was the race and that Burian was a subrace is not accurate but in fact just a reversal of the two names?

That's the only way this makes any sense when you look at the screenshot and what Sisca posted. I can't believe that the game will release with only 4 playable races. I'm hoping that when Sisca says there will be 4 races that is not counting subraces. :thinking:

Yes, that's exaclty what caused my initial response. Maybe information has been skewed somewhere. Perhaps Burian is the race, and Stoneborn and Qwi are the subraces.

Or perhaps Burian is the subrace the person creating that character chose, and the other two points of the triangle are more just archracess races. Thus giving the more prominent features of his specific subrace, while still allowing general features of the more broad archraces. I dunno, though, that's a good question.

Originally posted by Daax@May 15 2006, 03:10 AM
Now, there were some really weird character fetishes in City of Heroes. One person once made a Ronald McDonald. A group of 3 people made the girls from Totally Spies. And another group of 5 people made all of the Original PowerRangers. O.o

Two of our supergroups at Simu when we played CoH were ourselves (my battle cry was "My cat just threw up again!") and the manga-style League of Extraordinary Schoolgirls.

The Schoolgirls got a lot of double-takes and WTF?'s. My favorite was when The Bee Guy from the Simpsons ran past us, then turned around and ran back, stared for a bit and said "Ay caramba! Muchas chicas!" :lol:

Originally posted by Makkah@May 14 2006, 04:39 PM
One thing that confuses me... have they scrapped the concept behind Old Bloods and Togs? That slider just says "Human" which, at this point, is composed of two subraces.
I didnt see any subraces there at all, so I dont think that is the deal.

Back