OLD MAN BRISTOW

Ophelia

Cadet
OLD MAN BRISTOW

Hey, Mr. Bristow.

Hey, Matt.

Mr. Bristow is out walking Gretchen, his Golden Retriever, a little earlier than usual this morning. I reach out to pet her, and she licks my hand and wags her tail.

“Good luck on that geometry final today. Remember what I taught you.”

“I will. Thanks, Mr. Bristow.”

I continue on my way to school. Mr. Bristow has been helping me to prepare for this exam since the term began. He’s very good at all kinds of math; he says he took a lot of it in high school and college.

Funny how I still call him “Mr. Bristow” after all this time. His first name is Jack, and he wouldn’t mind if I called him that; but there’s something about him that just doesn’t make that seem right. Some of the other kids call him “Old Man Bristow” behind his back. He knows, but doesn’t seem to mind that either.

My dad died when I was six, and Mr. Bristow moved into the neighborhood a couple of years later. I should have thought that an American would find London, Ontario, awfully boring – I know I do – but he says he was born here and enjoys the peace and quiet. He lives alone except for Gretchen, but he has a lot of friends around here. He goes to the little United Church of Canada a few blocks from here and serves on the Finance Committee there. My mother and I go there too. For a while I thought maybe they would get together, but it never happened.

His daughter comes up from the States with her family to see him sometimes. She’s a teacher and her husband is a surgeon, I think. She’s pretty but kind of old – in her late thirties. They have two kids. The kids are a handful, but they don’t dare act up too much around their grandfather.

He says he worked for the American government, but he won’t say what he did. I don’t ask; that seems to be a touchy subject for some reason. I wonder if he was in the CIA or something. He always seems to notice everything going on around him, as if being alert was second nature for him. He’s pretty sharp for an old man. When he taught me to play chess, it took nearly two years before I could beat him for the first time. He was just as pleased as I was that day.

My mom is worried about me lately. She wants me to become an architect like my father, but that just doesn’t interest me. I’m in the Drama Club at school, and I want to be an actor. When I finish my college prep courses next year, I want to go to the University of Toronto and major in theatre. I talked to Mr. Bristow about it; he says I should go for it. After seeing me in “Godspell” last year, he says I have the talent to make it if I work hard enough and don’t give up. Don’t let anyone tell you what you should be, he told me – trust me, that never works. A funny look came over his face as he said that; I wonder why.

I enter the school and head toward my geometry class. Time to get that final over with.

ELEVEN YEARS EARLIER

Irina’s POV

I awaken to feel Jack’s lips nuzzling my hair. I smile, turn toward him, and open my eyes to find him not lying beside me but standing by the bed, fully dressed.

I have to go, he says. My plane leaves Barajas in 90 minutes.

I sit up, and we kiss passionately. He touches my cheek one last time, picks up his suitcase, and is gone. I site there for a while, my hand resting on the impression his head made in the pillow.

We arranged to meet this time in a small hostel not far from the Plaza Major in Madrid. I had some intel on an old acquaintance who might know something about our daughter’s death. We prefer places like this – no chance of a surveillance camera catching a shot of the two of us together. Too bad that for the same reason we couldn’t go for a stroll through the Prado. We used to love to do things like that while we were married. Jack enjoys the old masters; I’m more the modern art type myself.

God, how have our lives come to this – IM conversations for which Jack has to take a laptop to a parking garage to avoid detection, and clandestine trysts in places like this? I should have known the first time they showed me a photograph of him that nothing good would come out of what Jack and I call “Project Bristow.” Of course I fell in love with him – what woman in her right mind wouldn’t? He was – is – a wonderful husband. And naturally we share grief over our daughter. After all this time, we still have our love for her to share. We’ll find her killers somehow.

Every time we meet, it’s all I can do to stop myself from begging him to just disappear with me. I have an old dacha in a secluded, wooded area 30 km from Moscow. It used to belong to a prominent Communist Party member. He now lives in Cranston, Rhode Island, I’m told. But disappearing with Jack is an impossibility. I have been living on the lam for more than 20 years; I’m not so selfish as to want that for Jack. Besides, I have accumulated plenty of enemies over the years; in the off chance they found us, they would not be too picky about what they did to him to get to me. This is the life my choices have led me to; if I go down, I’ll not take him with me.

In time, surely Jack will tire of this. What will happen when we do find Sydney’s killers? He is a family man at heart; that’s how it was that we married so young. He wanted the classic picket-fence-two-kids-and-a-dog sort of life. I was never so sure that was what I wanted, but our marriage was the only happy time of my life.

The CIA has already pressured Jack into filing for divorce; the marriage is now legally over. The last time we met, he told me; and anyone would have thought he was telling me of the death of an old friend. But after Panama it was the only thing he could do. And he had a right to be angry. I should have followed through with his plan to capture Sloane in Panama. Just add that to a lifelong list of mistakes. I thought I knew better; the joke’s on me, I guess.

I get up and pad slowly toward the bathroom. I think I’ll go back to that dacha near Moscow for a while.

Jack's POV

In Eastern Orthodox tradition, the monks have a saying that everything you need to know will be taught to you in your own cell; your cell becomes your teacher. I wonder what I’m supposed to be learning here.

I’ve been here for nearly a year now. It’s harder than I remember; but then, I was more than 20 years younger the first time. Solitary confinement is a time-honored technique for breaking someone, and for good reason: the days blend together, your sleep cycle becomes erratic because your body can no longer tell night from day, and the cell walls don’t exactly close in – they sort of vibrate. Guards bring me food and take me to the showers; other than that I see no one. To pass the time, I work out game theory problems in my head and read the books the guards allow the prison chaplain to slip to me.

I remember the last conversation – well, argument – I had with Michael Vaughn. After Sydney’s funeral, I allowed him to have her body cremated and her ashes scattered over the Pacific. He was grieving for her just as much as I was, so his response when I asked him to join me in looking for her killers completely baffled me. It’s useless, Jack. You’re just looking for revenge. That won’t bring Sydney back. You’re obsessed. Nothing good will come of this. Considering where I am now, maybe he was right -- after all, at that time, neither of us had any idea that Sydney was still alive.

I was arrested shortly after I discovered that Sydney is still alive. One of my sources had mentioned that a woman matching her description had been seen in the company of Andrian Lazarey, a Russian diplomat. I hid a camera in his office to see what I could find out. It’s a good thing I was sitting down when I saw the resulting footage: my own daughter brutally slitting a man’s throat for no discernable reason. Even though the image is a little grainy and Sydney is wearing a blond wig, she is clearly identifiable – and so is the vacant look in her eyes.

A few months later, the National Security Council somehow got the idea that I knew something about Lazarey’s murder. They also wanted to know about my little side trip to Madrid on my way back from Frankfurt the previous spring. They knew I was still investigating Sydney’s death and suspected that I had enlisted Irina’s help. I denied everything, and beyond that refused to say more. Robert Lindsey in particular became incensed and led the effort to have me placed in solitary confinement for “resisting authority” until such time as I choose to become more cooperative.

Forget that. The videotape is safely stashed in a safe deposit box they cannot trace to me, and other than that they have no evidence against Sydney or me. Lindsey is a power-mad, arrogant careerist who might as well be going around in jackboots and a black uniform with silver lightning bolts on the collar. He also has an animal cunning that makes him extremely dangerous.

One of the guards, a skinny Hispanic kid named Gallegos, opens my cell door, a pair of handcuffs in hand. When he speaks, I can hardly believe my ears.

“You have a visitor. It’s your daughter.”

Her pale, drawn face worries me, but still she’s beautiful. She looks more like her mother than ever. She looks at me, her eyes wide as she takes in my unkempt appearance, and I can see tears in her eyes. She much continue my work and find out what happened to her, I insist; she must be strong. All too soon, I’m back in my cell. I had no chance to tell her what I know. Maybe that’s just as well.

Gallegos is back again a few days later. This time, there are no handcuffs. I am to be released, he says, on orders from Robert Lindsey. My daughter engineered it somehow.

I walk into the Ops Center and see Sydney talking with Weiss. He spots me first and nods in my direction. Sydney jumps up and hurries to me. We embrace tightly, neither of us caring that everyone is watching. She is trembling, and I can feel her fingers locked firmly together behind my back. Thank you, I murmur.

I wish this moment could last forever. But I have something I must show her.

Back