Politics Over Indulgence in America

LOL

I thought we were getting a little off-topic in the drinking age thread! I think most people in America are over-indulgent. We drive big gas guzzling SUVs, run up huge amounts of debt (in my financial planning class, we just learned the average American has over $75,000 debt and that does not include home mortgages), eat too much, drink too much, etc.

I don't think everyone is indulgent in everyway, but we are in some areas to a certain extent for sure.

As you may know I agree....

I think this is the one area of public indcency where I do not directly blame the public for buying into the propaganda of doing everything huge.

I mean we have these huge warehouses where, huge products are sold and we have very little choice for anything else. We are bombarded with ads for civilian sized tanks to drive to these huge stores of the up windows of huge resturant chains to eat food that you can "supersize" for a nickel.

It's everywhere and it is the fault of huge corportions and ineffective anti-trust lwas that leave us with little to no normal sized choice.

There are lots of different messages that bring about over-indulgence. Bigger cars are safer, they protect you better. More for your money at restuarants and be sure to clean up your plate. Buy in bulk and save more money. All of that definitely comes into play with the mindset of bigger is better. Focus isn't on so much what can suffice rather its how much you can get...

It really is crazy. It is also why I think greedy is the worst thing a person can be as a culture we are told that even if we have more then enough we can and should have more. More more more! Yet what we don't have any of is choice to have just enough to be happy.

There are lots of different messages that bring about over-indulgence. Bigger cars are safer, they protect you better. More for your money at restuarants and be sure to clean up your plate. Buy in bulk and save more money. All of that definitely comes into play with the mindset of bigger is better. Focus isn't on so much what can suffice rather its how much you can get...
well said. :smiley:

i'm going to go with human beings in general have a tendency to be over-indulgent. but other than that, i think i said everything i wanted to say in the drinking age thread.

xdancer said:
i'm going to go with human beings in general have a tendency to be over-indulgent. but other than that, i think i said everything i wanted to say in the drinking age thread.
"Human beings in general"? I don't think so :rolleyes:

I went down to The US a few times and was shocked at the differences in life-style.
You have restruants there that don't exist in Canada because, frankly, people are not used to eating that much.
We only have like 2 or 3 Deny's in all of Southern Ontario...take one look at the menu and it makes me want to PUKE! Everything is deep-fried and mega size :lol:

The ratio of people there who care about the environment is sickening..
very little :(

I could go on and on.........but I'll stop with that one.

US always "take takes" but rarely "gives" -_-

Just explaining that The US DOES over indulge far more than other places.

~~Spongy!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
US always "take takes" but rarely "gives" -_-
I would agree that in the sense of the enviroment, we (Americans in general - not everyone, though) take and do not give back.

In terms of aid, we give, but only when we think it will help us.

i'm going to go with human beings in general have a tendency to be over-indulgent
I agree - for example, eating meat when we don't need to :P

Just to throw in my two cents on the eating meat thing, it's pretty easy to give it up. Especially with Boca Burgers and Morning Star Farms products. With the exception of Boca, those meatless products really are similar to the real thing not to mention they have more protein and less fat.

Those products are made with geneticly altered ingredients, but yes meat is easy to give up...for 14 years now I have not looked back on those 10 years of being a meat eater.

Those products are made with geneticly altered ingredients, but yes meat is easy to give up...for 14 years now I have not looked back on those 10 years of being a meat eater.
Sycofancy? Are you sure what you need isn't a good long piece of meat ? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back