Politics Gun Control in America

AliasALIAS said:
There will never be a complete ban on guns because that's unrealistic. But there should be restrictions. I don't see a need for a gun unless you're a cop or a hunter (or similar positions). Get guns out of the hands of people who don't need it, and there'll be less gun-related deaths.
I completely agree. And the one thing I do think would be amazing to see what happened if we DID ban all guns. Yes, impossible, but honestly the kind of reductions we'd see with murders, accidental deaths, and crimes in general would be something else.

My history teacher has said something to that degree on what would happen if someone could just be given control and ban all "negative," shall I say, things. Could you imagine the changes we'd see?

God bless the NRA! I resent the fact they are being called "a bunch of gun happy individuals." You are insulting my friends and my family, including my father, a buisness manager, who keeps his firearms safely unloaded and locked in a safe downstairs. If you think that all, or even most of them are just pshycos, then take a look at the magazine and official journal of the NRA, "American Hunter."

And as a side to my nice little speech, I've taken a gun to school once. Now before you think I'm completely out of it and have lost my mind, it was for a project. My dad and I made a Civil War era flintlock rifle. It was really cool and very entertaining. We wrote a note to the teacher to ask her, and then he helped me bring it in. It was locked in the showcase the whole time and had no powder (therefore, nothing to catch fire if the trigger was pulled). Plus, it was really funny to see the looks on the guys faces when they made little models and I had the real thing. I got an A too. :D

Patomac said:
God bless the NRA! I resent the fact they are being called "a bunch of gun happy individuals." You are insulting my friends and my family, including my father, a buisness manager, who keeps his firearms safely unloaded and locked in a safe downstairs. If you think that all, or even most of them are just pshycos, then take a look at the magazine and official journal of the NRA, "American Hunter."

And as a side to my nice little speech, I've taken a gun to school once. Now before you think I'm completely out of it and have lost my mind, it was for a project. My dad and I made a Civil War era flintlock rifle. It was really cool and very entertaining. We wrote a note to the teacher to ask her, and then he helped me bring it in. It was locked in the showcase the whole time and had no powder (therefore, nothing to catch fire if the trigger was pulled). Plus, it was really funny to see the looks on the guys faces when they made little models and I had the real thing. I got an A too. :D
Well the thing is... I'm not against the NRA at all. I just think that there are a lot of people in the US who abuse the fact that guns are so easily obtainable. Guns are find when handled safely by people who aren't nuts (like your dad and you ;) )

and also... right after a shooting, the director of the NRA went to the town and made a speech for guns. :confused: that's just stupid :lol:

I didn't hear that speech, and I'm assuming that was after Columbine? Or was it something else?

And while there's so much Columbine talk, I go to a high school that's remarkably like Columbine. We found ways we were similar in our English class and it's kinda weird.

Patomac said:
I didn't hear that speech, and I'm assuming that was after Columbine? Or was it something else?

And while there's so much Columbine talk, I go to a high school that's remarkably like Columbine. We found ways we were similar in our English class and it's kinda weird.
it was columbine and the 1st grader shooting. -_- stupid ass... seriously... he had NO consideration.

michael moore went to the NRA's house and wanted to ask him some questions and he just left and he wouldn't even turn around to look at the picture of the little girl who got shot. :angry: like he can't just turn around for one second to take a glimpse of the girl who died because of a gun.

That girl didn't die because of a gun. That little girl died because of the PERSON behind the gun. I know it is easy to blame the object, but alone the object can not shoot itself. It's impossible. Maybe he already had made a comment on the weapons of Columbine and didn't feel the need to repeat himself. I'd also bet money that he said something about the "responsible handling of firearms" or "gun safety courses" in his speech.

Patomac said:
That girl didn't die because of a gun. That little girl died because of the PERSON behind the gun. I know it is easy to blame the object, but alone the object can not shoot itself. It's impossible. Maybe he already had made a comment on the weapons of Columbine and didn't feel the need to repeat himself. I'd also bet money that he said something about the "responsible handling of firearms" or "gun safety courses" in his speech.
however if there wasn't the gun... the little girl would not have died.

The kind of people who would shoot an innocent little girl could find another way of killing children. You can make bombs in your garage with charcoal, and I see no one attempting to ban that. Removing the weapon does not remove the problem. As has been said before in this thread, "In Canada they have as many guns as us and have less deaths." This does not suggest the firearm itself, but the people behind it.

I think we are pretty lucky Sophie. We have gun crime, yes. But it is to be frank, very rare. It has increased over the past 3 years, since Labour came into power, but I won't go all political on you.

same here........ instead of locking people up and eliminating the outcome of the problem, we need to eliminate the problem itself. If people weren't allowed to have guns in the first place, no one could die from gunshots! simple as that! it would take time to ban guns though...

banning guns actually wouldn't help and that'll never happen.

it's in the bill of rights and it's impossibly hard to admend that!

and i also don't think they should be banned. canada has just as much guns...

it's the damn american people. we're absolutely crazy.

if we have a problem, it's "revenge" or... "let's just bomb it!" and the presidents are the worst role models. bomb iraq! bomb this! and when BIll Clinton just bombed this building, killing so many people, it turned out to be like a medicine factory! :angry:!

You actually can amend the constitution, it would just take forever. There are, I think, 39 states that would have to ratify that before we could do it. And when did Nance start agreeing with me on the crazy people issue? :lol: It is also unfair to the millions of people who do not misuse their guns to forbid them to everyone. If someone in your class started a food fight, would you all want to have your school dance cancelled? I don't think so. (That happened, by the way. )

i always thought americans are crazy ^_^

and that's true but as long as there's people who are abusing it... which is very high in the US... peoples lives are at stake... more than 11,000 and it's quite a tragedy :(

We all wish we could live in a perfect world, but there will always be some person who doesn't fell that way. There will always be that one person who decides to spoil it for the rest of the law-abiding citizens. It is sad.

well you could say that for like Japan or Canada... but the United States... it's not only a "few" people... it's almost a daily thing.

whenever i turn on the news... someone just got shot :sigh:

Back