Politics Gun Control in America

nance

TUMS
I just saw the movie that won the "best documentary" movie- Bowling For Columbine.

:eek: I am so shocked... there's something up with this country. More than 11,000 people die every year in the USA from guns and only like... 3 a year in Canada. :lol:

People say that "oh americans have a violent history" :rolleyes: Un-huh... and the Japanese don't? And the Germans don't? (Hitler and all...)

But still... so many people die each year. You turn on the news and it's about someone who got shot. :sigh:

Everyone should really go see the movie- Bowling for Columbine. ^_^ It's hilarious and really shocking at the same time.

wow nance, i'll pick it up at blockbuster tomorrow, if i have time. i am kinda torn on the issue of gun controll, actually. because i believe people should be able to carry guns for self protection, however i strongly disagree with hunting, and i also think that it's just too easy for people who SHOULDNT have guns to get them (ie: people who are going to use them wrongly... as in kill innocent people)

Wow! 11,000 people?! :eek: I had no idea it was that much! Awww that really sucks. I have to admit, when I went for my summer vacation to the States my biggest fear was getting shot. :lol: I kept thinking how somebody I pass down the street might be carrying a gun and it just freaked me out. Luckily nothing happened. :smiley:

Yeah... the movie talks about the fear of the american people.

the media... news... it just makes people scared. :lol:

i think people shouldn't have acess to guns so easily. a loooot of people in this country are psychos :lol:

and the youngest gun shooting was in america... a *first* grader shot another first grader. -_-

I tried watching that movie when my brother rented it, but the part where I saw it from (I forget where) didn't look that interesting, so I only saw about ten minutes or so of it.

There's nothing wrong with our country. I personally believe that citizens should be allowed to have guns. I think they should be allowed to go hunting or keep it only for self protection. Basically, it's the whole, "The right to keep and bear arms" thing again. (U.S. Bill of Rights, 2nd Amendment)

Bowling for Columbine!!!!!! I need to watch it! ARG another movie I need to see.

I'm kind of torn about gun control. I don't want them to be banned completely. But people are stupid, so I think they need to be. I mean, sure, there are "regulations" and all that... but there are so many careless parents just leaving their guns out where their kids can get to them. And then a crazy person could go a number of stores and illegally purchase a gun, and then go on a rampage and kill lots of people.

I can't stand the NRA. Generally, they are a group of gun happy individuals.

i don't have a problem with guns....almost everyone i know has one...one of my really good guy friends carries a shotgun in his truck at all times. he has a rack attached to the ceiling of his truck and its always there...

holy smack...that sounds really hillbilly"ish" doesn't it?

I understand that the 2nd Amendment gives a right to bear arms, but it frustrates me how some people use it as a sole reason to loosen up gun control laws. It doesn't give an age limit, but that doesn't mean that everyone could have guns. There are restrictions to the Constitution, usually to our own benefit. People don't need guns to defend themselves. There are alterntives--self-defense, security (as in a fence, a dog, good ole locks for the home), pepper-spray, etc.

There will never be a complete ban on guns because that's unrealistic. But there should be restrictions. I don't see a need for a gun unless you're a cop or a hunter (or similar positions). Get guns out of the hands of people who don't need it, and there'll be less gun-related deaths.

Of course, it'd be foolish to ban guns... I just think there should be restrictions.

It's way to easy for a 6 year old to get a gun and bring it to school.

And sarah- :confused: is that a good thing? i mean... a lot of people in this country are craaazy -_-

for example- at Columbine... two students brought guns and shot like 7 students and a teacher. i don't think that's a goood thing.

nance said:
And sarah- :confused: is that a good thing? i mean... a lot of people in this country are craaazy -_-

for example- at Columbine... two students brought guns and shot like 7 students and a teacher. i don't think that's a goood thing.
i know what happened at columbine...

all of my guy friends carry guns (in their trucks and such...not on them) ...its just the way they were brought up and around here its normal. i guess things are just different in the south.

I'm kind of torn about gun control. I don't want them to be banned completely. But people are stupid, so I think they need to be. I mean, sure, there are "regulations" and all that... but there are so many careless parents just leaving their guns out where their kids can get to them. And then a crazy person could go a number of stores and illegally purchase a gun, and then go on a rampage and kill lots of people.

yeah, i totally agree. if people weren't so stupid, there wouldn't be a problem. -_-

I just rented this movie last week and I was really blown away by it. Some of the statistics are really outstanding. I personally just think it's our country's mentality. The documentary talks about how Canadians have just as many guns as Americans do, but they have a tiny fraction of the shooting deaths. They just feel safer and therefore don't go to the lengths Americans do. They don't even lock their house doors! Our country is very reactionist and really is built on and continues to be built on fear. We are so scared that we forget common sense and what life is all about.

kiki81ny said:
I just rented this movie last week and I was really blown away by it. Some of the statistics are really outstanding. I personally just think it's our country's mentality. The documentary talks about how Canadians have just as many guns as Americans do, but they have a tiny fraction of the shooting deaths. They just feel safer and therefore don't go to the lengths Americans do. They don't even lock their house doors! Our country is very reactionist and really is built on and continues to be built on fear. We are so scared that we forget common sense and what life is all about.
That's a generalization. My house doors are locked every night.

Sarah said:
kiki81ny said:
That's a generalization. My house doors are locked every night.
mine as well.

when i was 11 i was so scared that people would come break in and shoot me, so i would go to all the doors and make sure they were locked. i would check at least 5 times. it became an obsession (different from the obsession we all have about alias), and i had to go into therapy. i'm barely scared of anything anymore -- like gaia. lol nance :lol:

I saw "Bowling for Columbine" I really loved it ! I have to buy the DVD ! I like Michael Moore and his ideas.
I also studied an english text last year about guns in the US, later I'll either post it or make a summary.

Wait a second I forgot but I sold my book, but I still have few sentences of it (I'll write them either in the week or in the newt week-end)

I believe that any upstanding citizen of the age of 18 who wants to obtain a handgun should be able to.

Making guns illegal wont help, most guns used in murders and homicides were obtained illegally anyways.

Back