Season 5 React: Out of the Box

What would you rate "Out of the Box"?

• 5 - One of the best Alias episodes ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - It was great!

• 3 - It was good

• 2 - It was OK

• 1 - It was bad

• Total voters
i thought it was really cute when Tom wouldnt let Syd or Renee go down and take out the truck...i think he's starting to grow on me but Vaughn is still definitely my favorite and i want him back!!

To respond to the "nobody misses Vaughn" comment, the hardest-core people are boycotting the show and the forums, so they aren't going to be speaking about it anymore. As for myself, I wish Vaughn was back around because Syd deserves to be with the guy she loves,

And as for the "just have the baby" already comment, well hey, it's biology . . . Jennifer Garner isn't going to pop the baby out earlier just to accomodate fans impatient to see her back in action. I'm impressed she's been going on as many missions as she has.

I'm liking the new characters and for the first time in ages i feel like we have a coherent plot arc - like the writers might know where they are headed.

I'll grant though that a little more action is in order . . . we haven't seen a good fight scene in awhile. Still, the eps seem to actually have *plot*. So that's compensation I think.

hmm... well a few points - i was kinda hoping that it was lazeray in the box... just for the sake of some more rambaldi drama - however in hindsight, i think the rambaldi plot has run its course and i'm glad prophet 5 is the new thing. I didn't anticipate it being renee's dad.... but now i see how it fits in. In regards to Sloane.... i never trust arvin sloane... he has a secret agenda, teaming up w/ dean is a means to an end.. and JAck can't honestly trust him. - Blackmaining the senator.... i thought that might be a bit weird, i would think she held more power than that - she just caved... the 'evil' sloane - i kinda missed that - him pretending to be all noble was kinda weird - we all know nadia isn't his only concern, he's using that as his in...
i like rachel gradually becomming more involved, and i like that she and mashall have kinda teamed up for the tech work, it makes marshall a bit more central - makes him think. She is also kinda filling that 'fiend role that syd used to have w/ francie (real francie) and will and even with vaughn (whom of which i miss but i think they can survive w/o - liked it better w/ him but we're all coping)- i liked that aspect of the show especially in season 1 when she had two lives.... i feel like as time has worn on it's become all about the CIA stuff and i think the 'normal life' thing made her a bit more interesting and relateable... rachel seems to be becomming the closest thing sydney has to a friend lately, whish is also nice to see - should be interesting to see how renee fits into the picture as well....
As much as i would like to see syd get into more action (like b4 she was pregnant) i know it's kinda impossible - and a bit aggrivating too - like when they were in renee's place and tom had to go and try to save the day... that's soooo syd's job, and i was almost frustrated that she couldn't go 'into danger' and do her thing... oh well, eventually.... and i don't mean to dis tom, i actually really like that he's on missions w/ syd, and that he is sooo differnt from all the other agents we've known thus far- like the comment that jack made to him when he was shooting... i get the impresion that jack trusts him unquestionably (kinda the young jack in his mind i think)... and yet jack still was not 100% keen on Vaughn, but seems to love tom... just interesting.
I think that they are gradually getting back into the old Alias, with doubles and all that jazz, good to see that they are going back to what people got hooked on to begin w/, i just worry that they will get too redundant w/ the plots and ideas.. so far, so good, no season 1, but its getting better...

Also.... i know that it obviously wasn't vaughn i the box, but with the knowledge that the man who WAS in the box 'died' 20 ys ago, leaves us with that faint glimmer of hope that (as is so common in ALIAS) vaughn just may return... although doubtful... there is a spark of hope.... but in conjunction w/ that.. now that he's been gone so long (ok not really THAT long) it seems that it would be very strange to reintroduce him to the show, with the newbies, came a new era of the show... just something i'd been mulling over...

alias has left me wanting to know what will happen next... so that's a good sign. im curious to know why renee's dad went into the box, but the man that injected him came out... dr. discontes? or something? so im wondering if the dr. was transformed to look like her dad or that she doesn't know what her dad would look like 20 years later...

im thinking there is something in tom's file that has jack liking/trusting him so much. clearly he does tolerate him much more than he did vaughn. the scenes for the next episode do irk me a bit bc rachel went from desk rated to field agent... and i guess shes just unoffically joined APO's team. also, i dont like that sydney is going into the field.. yes, i like her kicking butt... but she's about to burst and its crazy of her to still go on missions. vaughn will be appearing in the nov. 17th episode! cant wait to see what it's all about.

i gave the episode bc it was good... not great and not the best ever... but it kept me intrigued.

tom - he's alright.. growing on me.
rachel - still need a little more from her...
renee - a lot more like syd... rebellious... im liking her.

Jack trusting Tom implictly when he didn't trust Vaughn - that just makes me think even more that Tom is Syd's brother.

Speaking of Jack trusting though, anybody think he's been uncharacteristically trusting this season? I mean, he really should be more suspicious of Sloane - and clearly he's noting problems, you could see it from the looks on his face first when Sloane got off the hook and second when he was informed Lewis had given him his clearance. So I'm thinking he's just as supsicious as ever but has decided to take this new "the more trusting side of Jack" tack for some reason . . . trying to fool everyone into thinking he trusts Sloane so that Sloane will slip up . . .

or hey maybe it's the thought of being a grandfather turning him into a big softie.

I gave it and ok...
i like the fact that we get to see the Sloane we all love to hate...
Tom is growing on me...
I was a little cofused as to who was actually in the box...
If renee hadn't seen her father in over 20 years how does she know what he looks like...
where is he?
I do miss Vaughn...
I think that he and Syd deserved more than this...
And their child especially deserves more...
After all the hits Syd has had in her life, I wish she could have been with the man that she loves

Men, Women, Children, lend me your ears. Let us not be disenchanted with the grim ratings/plot ramifications the writers of Alias have so viciously imposed upon us. Let us unite as one, join hands for a better Alias.

Let us smoke the foliage of a thousand canibus plants and become intoxicated on the absurdness that Alias is. We cannot take seriously the decisions of the writers, we cannot let them sway us.

True fandom goes beyond bad writing and poor plot choices. True fandom is being there in the hard times and sticking together as a mighty tree in the eye of a storm, boundless in strength, survivng all that is thrown upon us. WILL NO ONE STAND WITH ME!?!

IS THERE NO ONE WHO WILL STAY TRUE...?

Join me or be crushed by your own expectations!

EndlessAliasFan#1

AMEN!!

I thought everyone had jumped ship, thank god for you, I whole heartedly agree!

I'm loving this season! Despite the Vaughnlessness... I LOVE VAUGHN, this season is totally holding its own. Rachel and Tom are intriguing... we know nothing about either of them, really, I can't wait to dig into their pasts!

I loved all the stunts in this ep too, they were phenominal!! All the fire and explosions, that's Alias!!!

Is it just me, or is Jen even more gorgeous this season? It must be the pregnancy, she is amazing, not to mention doing a fantastic job in the most full on TV show in America. She's phenominal!!!

Bring it on, this season is wiked cool!!

EndlessAliasFan#2

I gave it a "2," but I probably should've given it a "3." It was just... not very good. Really average, ho-hum stuff here. It wasn't as bad as "The Road Home," but it was nothing like last week's heart-stopper.
Why did you compare "Out of the Box" to "The Road Home"? I recently watched it, and I don't see a reason why you used THAT specific episode to compare to this week's. Is it your least favorite episode or something? Please explain this to me.

-Josh

This i belive will be the best season of alias.
why?
just watch.

i watched this last episode very closely, and there are some hints of whats to come.. i am not going to give them away, but dear god i hope i am right.

and by the way.... i love rene's new hair cut, and raechel is freaking hot.

love always,
joshua.

I thought this episode was okay. To me there was just too many stories to tell..Renee's, Sloane's and Marshall...it seem confusing to me. Maybe I need to have a second watch to appreciate it more. Nevethesless, still better than the self-contained episodes of Season 4. The storyline is getting deeper and deeper...heck just like Season 1...it's making a lot of confused ppl :confused: :angelic: But that's what ALIAS has always been...confusing but brilliant!

It makes me mad the way Sydney trusts everyone so implicitly and so fast. I am still iffy about Rachel(in the previews for Solo, she looks skanky) and Sydney just invites her into her home and Marshall is discussing infiltration techniques, and I'm like, Wait! she's bad! don't confide so much in her!!!
And Renee... Obviously Jack was more skeptical but Sydney just throws her heart into every relationship.
I do like Tom. As long as he doesn't jepordize a mission or a person....BTW, I don't think Tom and Syd are bro and sis. If they are, it couldn't be from Irina-wasn't she preggers with Nadia right when she was extracted? I agree with whomever said Irina is the only one for Jack so who could be the mom? Moreover, enough with the long lost half siblings!!!
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the doubling!!! I thought we were done with that! But if that's the direction this is taking, I think we find out that Vaughn is a bad guy. Marseilles is where Dr. Marcovic had his server farm, remember from S2? and everyone is french now! Vaughn, Renee, Dr. Desantis, episode 7 has a french title. I remember reading I think from Spoilerfix.com last season that Michael Vartan wanted Vaughn to be bad-that it would be fun. Well, as much as I love Vaughn and Sydney, and want Vaughn to come back and save the day, what if this is the start of a very bad streak?

:eek:

I rated this episode a three for good.

Why?

1. Great Action sequences -- Agent Gray with bomb explosion and Man out of window hanging by helicoptor.
2. Syd picking up through conversation with Man that something wasn't right.
3. Man not being Renee's father.
4. Cliffhanger about Man being the doctor and what that's supposed to mean.
5. Jack making Syd take Agent Gray.
6. Jack telling Agent Gray that he should protect Syd at all costs even against Renee.

To me it was another crappy episode. Nothing excitng happens anymore. Nothing makes you nervous, excited, scared, or happy. It's just blah. Well, best part of the episode was Sloane. Black-mailing like the good ol' days.

I havent quite given up hope on this show yet, but we'll see...

I loved this episode, I gave it a four! The man in the box was Dr. Desantis, the man who was doing experiments on Renee's dad. I think he was in prophet five, experimenting on the decoded text that the people of prophet five did. I think the pamphlet they decoded was Rambaldi's text on immortality. Also...next week's, "Solo," looks awesome! I love it how Rachael says that she'll put on her high heels, get into character, and by this time the next day find out if she can pull of the mission. How many people just LOVE her!? I think she's great! I would totally watch a spin-off with her!

That episode was such a relief for me! It looks like the show is getting back on track. For me, it's all about ambiguously-evil Sloane - I'm so glad that he's in a position to play a great role now.

And I'm loving Elodie. She's way hot - loving the new short hair. I was glad that it wasn't her father in the box - it would have been too easy, I think. More interesting this way. I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that Franka Potente was being considered for Elodie's role? I think she would have been good, also.

I haven't read through this thread properly, but does anyone else think that Thomas might be Syd's brother? It's a long shot, but there was that discussion between Jack and Tom about how well Tom's mother would have got along with Jack... hmm.. and there's still that thing in Tom's file that Jack and Sloane were 'hmmm'-ing about in one of the earlier episodes. I don't think I'm right on this one, but a bit of speculation is always fun!

I, for one, would love to see the return of some old characters soon... Any of the Derevko's, Lauren, Sark, Will, Anna... Maybe one of the old members of the Alliance? I really miss the earlier seasons, and would give anything for some link back to them!

I rated this episode a three for good.

Why?

1. Great Action sequences -- Agent Gray with bomb explosion and Man out of window hanging by helicoptor.
2. Syd picking up through conversation with Man that something wasn't right.
3. Man not being Renee's father.
4. Cliffhanger about Man being the doctor and what that's supposed to mean.
5. Jack making Syd take Agent Gray.
6. Jack telling Agent Gray that he should protect Syd at all costs even against Renee.

Rudy, do you mean Agent 'Grace'?

I really liked it ^_^ I think that alias is back to how it used to be in season 1 and 2. I thought I'd hate it with all the new characters, but I love them all! And I realized I don't really miss Vaughn that much o.o He really didn't do much in the past two seasons anyway

I thought the episode was one of the better ones.
Renee's hair does look crazy
Kickboxer baby :lol:
Tom is going higher in my book and is looking very good
Sloane is bad as usual
Rachel is okay, but i'm ready to see her in true spy action
Jack trusting Sloane could burn him again;
I'm wondering who the phone call was from?? (when he met Sloane)
They just gotta have some crazy medical thing going on each season; cryogenic freezing and brain transplants..wonder what they will think of next

All in all a pretty cool episode
I wouldn't be so quick to think Jack trusts Sloane. I would be careful-always always assume that Jack knows more than he lets on. Trust really isn't in his vocabulary.

I feel that things are progressing slowly as far as setting up the season, but I am still enjoying each episode. It's taken 5 episodes to get Sloane back into APO and his evil ways - I wish that could have happened sooner.

Back