Sanity Saved

aww that was SO great!! i loved it! i am SO pleased that they started talking to each other!! its great!
thanks for the PM
cant wait for more!! :D

Okay, chapter 3 is done. Hope everyone likes it. I think it's a little shorter than the others, but I like it. Curiousty: about how long do people like chapters? Like this one, previous, more, less? Just let me know :D

Chapter 3

At last, it was time to actually go. It felt like all day we were preparing for this wedding. It just kind of struck me that I had no idea who’s’ wedding we were invited to. In my family, though, it didn’t really matter because of the amount of these events that we attended.

We all piled into the car; my dad complaining that he had more important things to do then attend some wedding, which didn’t make the situation in the car very enjoyable. It was another silent, strained drive in the Bristow car.

We were creeping up on a church with a mass of people crowded around, talking, and laughing. There was something about weddings that I just loved. Maybe it was because families and friends all gathered together for one common purpose. I didn’t know, but whatever it was I liked it.

My father parked the car, and we all exited, and made our way up the church steps to find seats. I couldn’t take it.

“Mother, whose wedding is this?”

“Oh, one of my friend’s daughter,” she whispered to me.

I nodded, now at least knowing whose wedding we were going to be witnessing.

About twenty minutes later people began to gather, and take their seats. I eagerly waited to see the bride; it was my favourite part.

The music began to play and the flower girl lead the pack. She looked like a fluffy white cotton ball floating down the aisle. She was cute. The bridesmaids followed, and then the music cued for the actual bride. Everyone in the church stood, eagerly craning their necks to catch a glimpse of her. She appeared in the doorway, a permanent smile fixed on her face.

Her dress was simple: white (obviously), with thin straps, and a bow placed at her side. Her hair was down with a fountain of loose curls flowing down her back. With the veil and the make-up she looked beautiful. I desperately wished that one day I would be able to share a moment like this with someone special.

~*~*~*~

The reception was held at a hall, and my mother insisted that we all attend. It would be rude not to, she had told us. Nobody felt like disagreeing, so I now awkwardly stood by myself as my mother and father mingled with other guests, and Nadia had somehow already found people to socialize with.

I nibbled on piece of shrimp, wishing the walls would just absorb me. I felt so out of place. Everyone else seemed to have some purpose, but I was just the strange girl in the corner with her shrimp. I pathetically swayed to the music by myself, watching a mass of colourful dresses and black tuxedos swirl before my eyes.

I looked down at my foot. The black, high heel sandals were beginning to dig into my heel, causing me to wince in pain.

“Well, am I ever glad that I was born a boy!”

Slowly I lifted my head, knowing my brown eyes would meet green soon.

Was he everywhere?

I straightened up.

“Hi.”

“That looks quite painful, I must say,” he told me, eyeing my foot.

I looked down. “I’ve seen, and felt worse.”

He laughed.

“So, why are you here?” I asked.

“Cousin.”

“Ah…”

“You?”

“My mom’s a friend of your aunt, apparently,” I said, shrugging my bare shoulders.

“Interesting.”

We both fell silent.

“Come on,” he said, ushering me away from the crowd.

“Where are we going?” Should I really be going off places with someone who I had met mere three, now four, times in my life?

He didn’t answer, just kept walking across the room.

I hesitated, but the part of my brain that was screaming, “GO!” won. I watched as his back disappeared around a corner. I quickened my pace; trying to keep up with my throbbing foot.

I walked into a hallway, my heels echoing on the marble. He was no where in sight. I headed towards the exit. I put a hand in front of my face, to keep the piercing sunlight out of my eyes. He was sitting on the steps, looking out at the passing cars. He heard my heels as I approached, and smiled up at me.

Without words I sat down next to him, dusting off the dirt from the ground first. My mother would kill me if I was to cause anything to happen to this expensive dress.

The wind blew my hair back into my face, a bird chirped off in the distance, the smell of wildflowers greeted me, and I had Michael Vaughn sitting next to me!

I turned to look at him. He noticed.

“What are we doing out here?” Not that I was complaining.

“I’ll bet you agree it’s a lot nicer out here, then back in there,” he said, gesturing behind him.

“True,” I said with a nod.

“You seemed like you needing some saving back in there.”

“I’m not the social type.” What a lame excuse, Sydney!

“You seem pretty social to me,” he said.

I looked down at my hands in my lap, and smiled. “I guess sometimes I am.” No your not, I screamed at myself.

He looked away, and continued to stare at nothing in particular. I didn’t say anything; letting him have his time to think (about what I didn’t really know). I played with the fray of my dress, hoping he would say something. Having lived in the Bristow household for 17 years I didn’t do well with silence, but was unfortunately very familiar with it.

“So do you like going to McWilliam?” Strange question.

“Umm…I don’t know…I, uh.”

“I know it’s a weird question.” He turned around so he was fully looking at me now.

“It’s just that you don’t seem like them.” He continued

“For years my school and your school have been enemies, before we even got into high-school. I don’t know what and who caused it, but it’s there. I can’t change that, and I quite frankly with the way your school behaves I don’t think I want to change it, but when I look at you, and talk to you, I don’t see them. You seem so different,” he sighed, signaling he was done.

I laughed. “I am different. I’ve always been different. Well, at least I’m different from the people who I’ve been forced to be with practically since birth. I don’t mind it, though- being different. When I was little all the girls in my neighborhood would go and play Barbies or something like that, but I would sit myself under the big oak tree in my backyard, and just read. That tree was my protector, enveloping me with its big branches, isolating me from the others. That was around the time when I was marked as weird, but I really don’t regret it. I’m a friendly person. I get along with people, but the people who I’m surrounded by aren’t what I look for in a friend.”

I couldn’t believe I was telling all of this to a stranger. Had I lost my mind? Probably…

He looked at me with a sense of understanding and compassion.

Looking into his eyes I had never seen such a look of understanding. Rarely anyone ever listened to me, and for someone to truly pay attention and understand was a new sensation for me.

“Well, looking at the people who go to your school I can defiantly see why you wouldn’t get along with them.”

I laughed. “Ya.”

“So, I’m guessing that you’re really good in school,” he said, giving me a playful nudge.

I blushed.

“Was that a blush, Bristow?”

I looked away and smiled, tucking my hair behind my ear.

I turned back to him, he was smiling at me.

“Just say it, Sydney. You’re good in school; nothing to be modest about.”

I shook my head, laughing.

“Just say it.”

I looked at him, still laughing, and said, “I’m good in school.”

“That wasn’t so hard, now was it?” He asked, mocking me.

Why could he make me feel so giddy and happy? I never felt like this.

“I guess it wasn’t.” My stomach all of a sudden let out an embarrassing rumble, like thunder. I covered my flat stomach with my hands.

“I guess I’m hungry.” Trying to laugh it off. It worked; he laughed with me, and stood up. He extended his hand for me to grab.

“We should go and get some food inside, then.”

I took his hand; warmth immediately spreading throughout my whole body, giving me the not so famous butterflies. He helped me up. His big hands seemed to fit perfectly in my small slender ones.

He let go once I was standing firmly on the ground, and together we made our way back to the celebration. The loud sounds of music, talking, and laughter were a shock from the tranquility that I felt moments before.

“Well, I’ll see you around, Sydney.” And he was gone. I stood there shocked for a second. What just happened? I knew I shouldn’t have had started talking about school and my stupid, weird self. Mentally, I slapped myself in the head. Stupid, stupid Sydney!

I made my way over to the table that my parents were seated at. They were talking to an older couple.

“Oh, Sydney, dear, this is Mr. and Mrs. Charles,” my mother told me, gesturing towards the couple.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, politely.

I was so not in the mood for this.

“Oh, what a lovely girl, Irina. She defiantly looks like you, but she has your eyes, Jack,” she said studying my face; making me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

I sat down at the table, and let the woman continue her study of me. I settled in for another long night.

~*~*~*~

I let the words on the page take me to a different world- a better world. The fictitious characters and places that I would read in my books were my escape. I would read them, and try to imagine the emotions of the characters at all times; trying to feel their pain and their happiness.

I was lying on my back, with the book propped up in front of my face. My eyes skimmed the pages quickly, and my hands were constantly turning pages. I was getting deeper into the plot as I went.

It was late, and the house was quite; not that it wasn’t normal for the house to be silent. At this time, though, not even the sounds of the floorboards creaking or doors opening and closing were heard. I tried to savor the moment of peace, but I could feel my eyelids getting heavy, and my head beginning to fall. The words were beginning to mix together, not making much sense at this point

The mixes of blues, pinks, and blacks all blended together, putting me into a type of trance. I watched with fascination as they twirled and swirled, a smile on my face.

I felt a light tap on my right shoulder, and slowly turned around. Michael Vaughn stood in front of me with his hand out outstretched for me to grab. I smiled modestly, putting my head down, and graciously taking it. The same warmness spread through my body like when we stood outside, on that warm afternoon. I felt like we were the only two people in the room. Some song that I didn’t recognize played in the background. He swept me over to the large dance floor, holding my hand. If he let go my legs probably wouldn’t have been able to hold me up at this point. I felt so light and magnificent, but at the same time vulnerable and weak. His strength kept me up. I felt like the most beautiful girl, wrapped in the arms of Michael Vaughn.

He pulled my body closer into his; his black tuxedo meshing with my red dress. I rested my head against his chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heart. His hands rested perfectly on the small of my back. Everything was perfect. I was floating through a world of happiness- a different world.

Disappointment flooded my body. My book was propped against my chest, and sun was beginning to create an orange glow against my purple walls. Obviously it was a dream. Nothing that perfect could ever happen to me. Evidentially he didn’t even have any interest in me anyway, so there was no point in fantasizing over it. I was letting my imagination carry me away to a different world once again. My mother warned me that one day that would cost me. I didn’t listen.

I pulled out my journal to write an entry, knowing this one was going to be long. I sat crossed legged on my bed, and opened up the purple pen with my mouth, and began to write:

All right, so it’s not just my wacko family who’s insane, it’s me too!

~Andrea :angelic:

Off to send the PMs (I'll try not to send a billion this time :P)

Edit- OMG, this is the 47th post, ahhhhhhhhhh. Sorry, just had to point that out :D

ooooooooooooooo sooo good and dude I seriously don't care how long the chapters are... im just happy for updates :smiley: they make me happy :P

Gabby

ohhh thats awesome, you write the best length chapters ever, they're perfect :P

Syd soo really likes Vaughn, i hope she sees him again at school or something

47th post, that must mean its lucky :D

thanx for the PM

-luv Em 💘

I love how they keep meeting each other and with every meeting they get closer. They're really nice together and just exactly what Sydney needs.

Great chapter.

I'm loving this fic -not sure if you are doing PMs or not (i can never seem to get them to work) but if you are I would love to be on your list!

Great fic...but Vaughn still hasn't said he was sorry for making that stupid comment to Sydney the first time they "met"

why did michael just ditch her once they got back to the reception???? meanie!!

i love updates.. so i don't care how long or short they are as long as they are often!! haha!

this was a good one!! can't wait for more

HA I knew he would be at the wedding!!!! :D
-I'm glad they got to talk..but why does Syd think Vaughn doesn't like her!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see how the meet next time!!! :woot:
-Loved it!! Thanks for the pm!!

This is wonderful...Please Pm me when you continue, I have to see what is up with Vaughn, I mean why did he leave her once the went back inside the reception?

It´s a great story. Can i get a pm please? Thank you.

You are already on the PM list. Did you not get a Pm?

HA I knew he would be at the wedding!!!! :D
-I'm glad they got to talk..but why does Syd think Vaughn doesn't like her!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see how the meet next time!!! :woot:
-Loved it!! Thanks for the pm!!

Just to clarify, Sydney doesn't think Vaughn likes her becasue of how he left her at the wedding so suddenly.

~Andrea :angelic:

Back