So who's Sydney's dad and why?

Who do you think is Sydney's dad and why?

• Y'know, I just like the idea of Sloane as Sydney's father. It fits. I don't care why.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sloane is. He had the affair and he tested it out.

• It's like Sloane says; he believes it because of Sydney's strength (yeah, right). But he's right; he

• It's like Sloane says. But he's wrong; Jack is.

• Sloane believes he is because Irina made him believe it--but he's not. Jack is.

• Jack is, but Sloane has somehow set it up to make it seem that Sloane is.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Jack just better be because Sloane being Sydney's dad is just wrong.

• It's probably someone else entirely.

• How should I know? It's too complicated!

• Total voters
V

verdantheart

Let us know your reasoning! I thought I'd like to see where we are right now and how people feel as well as how they think. Vote how you think and tell us how you feel. I did add a couple of answers for those who don't want to reason it out, though!

Have a fun poll!

VH can you not vote in ur iown poll??

i voted it's just wrong for Sloane to be her dad - not sure why - i just don't like it - the jack/Syd interaction is a big deal for me in Alias and Sloane can't just wander in with his bull and steal syd away!!!! *nasty man*

i mean - is she really the daughter of pure evil....come on.

well I think Sloane's wrong it's Jack that is Syd's dad without a doubt because well apart from being 2 freaky its wrong but I don't think its true and I don't know to throw something like this into Alias would throw everyone into a loop

Oooh, my first post!

I think that Jack is Syd's father, but Sloane has done something to make it look like he (Sloane) is. The reason I am thinking this is that he told this information so easily to Dr. Boobs - I mean Barnett. In fact, he wouldn't let her leave without her knowing this information, practically shouting it after her as she left.

Obviously he wants her to know, or at least consider, that Sydney is his daughter. In fact, even setting up their meeting as a date makes the whole doctor-patient confidentiality a little fuzzy. So how long will it take before Jack or Sydney hear of this?

Figuring out why Sloane wants this information out there is a little more difficult. Whose reaction to it is he interested in? For this disclosure is obviously bait of some kind - but to who? Barnett? Jack? Irina? Sydney? And once they have the bait, how does he want/expect them to react? Because usually when someone puts out bait, they are anticipating a specific reaction and have a countermove ready.

Is this some continuation of his fight with Jack? Sloane knows that Sydney is Jack's weakest point - he witnessed just how weak when Jack was ready to kill him for Sydney's safety. But why would he want Jack to know that he had an affair with Irina? What reaction is he expecting?

Or perhaps this is directed towards flushing out Irina? Or jogging something else in Sydney's memory? Or is part of a puzzle he is going to give Barnett piece by piece? Help! I am drowning in questions!

- L

Rinda said:
But why would he want Jack to know that he had an affair with Irina?  What reaction is he expecting?

Or perhaps this is directed towards flushing out Irina?
Actually, put those sentences together and you might have something there. After all, Irina used Sydney's peril to maneuver Jack into a position of distroying the trust between Jack and Sloane . . . this is designed to cut to the heart of whatever trust might have been carefully constructed between Jack and Irina.

In fact, all of this tends to isolate Jack completely, doesn't it, because it leaves Jack sans friend, sans girlfriend, and sans family.
[oh, where is a sad face when you need one?]

They're back!!!! Edited to add sad face . . .
:(

Very true. What I am trying to puzzle out, though, is how isolating Jack serves Sloane's agenda. What outcome could he gain from that, other than personal satisfaction?

Perhaps Jack presents some sort of roadblock in Sloane's end-game, and this would get him out of the way. Or would it? Jack is one smart cookie - would he not see this as a set-up? Especially the way it came to light, with him "manipulating" Barnett?

its just another stupid twist, Irina always refered to jack as sydneys father, and sloane cannot be cuz, WELL IT JUST CANT, im the alias books she always says she got her height from her father jack...and and i dont think sloane would cheat on emily, he really loved her very much

AND

If they were once "lovers" than when irina was in cia custurdy(as jack would say lol), she would have contacted him. ya know

Rinda said:
Obviously he wants her to know, or at least consider, that Sydney is his daughter. In fact, even setting up their meeting as a date makes the whole doctor-patient confidentiality a little fuzzy. So how long will it take before Jack or Sydney hear of this?
ohhhh thats a good one too!

Boy, it's almost 90% pro-Jack here, but it's 50% who-knows at the official site with about 40.5% pro-Jack and 9.5% pro-Sloane.
^_^

I am vary glad that they are taking up one of season one’s loose ends, well there were a few hints in season two as well.

This plot line is fascinating to me with all the double think involved. Two Grand Master Gamesmen maneuvering with an intelligent and skilled in human behavior woman.

Have to think Jack had a plan for recommending Sloane see Barnet, but then Sloane probably knows that, further Jack probably knows that Sloane should know, and on and on.

Sloane seamed to be doing talk, don’t talk as bait for Barnet to become more interested.
Clearly Barnet knows a small move at least with her this is professional but wearing a dress that clearly said the opposite. And she knew a bit more about Sloane’s activities than I would have thought she did.

Personaly I do think the writers will try to make us, Jack and Sydney believe at one point or the other that Sloane is Sydney’s father. But I am just as sure that it will not be true. The writers have gave us enough clues to know Sloane is manipulating things.

You just have to remember Sloane is such a smooth liar that his tongue should be forked.

Jack is, but Sloane has somehow set it up to make it seem that Sloane is.

reason? because he is twisted :lol: hes got some weird plan up his sleeve <_<

It's Jack.

If for no other reason than to have it otherwise would effectively destroy the entire Syd/Jack dynamic for no good reason.

Seriously, if Sloane, does turn out to be the father, I'm walking.

I voted for
Sloane believes he is because Irina made him believe it--but he's not. Jack is.

I'm hoping that Irina is playing Sloane, for god knows what reasons. Everything he does goes his way. It would be nice if he was manipulated, at least once, especially in something as significant as this. I think Sloande belives it has something to do with Rambaldi. Irina or Sydney beeing the chosen one, Sloane injecting the green stuff, obviously Rambaldi related, and so on.

But it has to be Jack, otherwise season 1 and 2 Syd and Jack moments would be ruined.
Of course one could argue that a non-biological parent is just as much a parent, and Jack was a good father when Irina was around, and he has been for the last couple of years. But still, I believe it has to be Jack. And I want it to be Jack :smiley:

Frogboy_Lives said:
It's Jack.

If for no other reason than to have it otherwise would effectively destroy the entire Syd/Jack dynamic for no good reason.

Seriously, if Sloane, does turn out to be the father, I'm walking.
I'm with you, Frogboy. That's also another reason why I don't think Sloane is Sydney's father. If JJ really does read the fansites occasionally, as he claims to, he (hopefully) cannot miss the very negative fan reaction overall to Jack not being Sydney's father. I have read the "If Sloane is Sydney's father, I'm not watching anymore" message many times, and I don't think the writers would want to alienate the fanbase to such an extent. (Although Lauren is still around, so...)

Ah, but I think this is a little different. I think that from the beginning, the father-daughter relationship was set up as a foundation for the series and Mr Abrams knows it. If he makes Sloane in fact Sydney's father, he's knocking perhaps the cornerstone out from under Alias, something that no series can survive (I daresay they could even--gasp! do I dare say it?--survive the permanent separation of Sydney and Vaughn before something like this). And while, as I've said, transforming Jack's love into one that is not based on blood might be an interesting theme, I believe that too much of the emotional impact of the story has already relied on the pull of the blood relationship between Jack and Sydney--especially in the beginning, when Sydney thought that was all they had. Sydney started out wanting to pull her father down, but found she did not. And the main reason she did not was because she discovered that blood is thicker than water--she loved him no matter what because he is her father. If you take that away, you have nothing. Nothing, except perhaps Jack's love for Sydney, but we need Sydney's love for Jack, and taking away this blood tie would hollow that out.

So, I'm just saying, from a story and thematic standpoint, Mr Abrams and co would be fools to make Sloane be Sydney's father. This is not Star Wars where Luke was raised by his uncle.
;)

Exactly. The bloodtie is Jack and Sydney's connecting point. He was not there for her in a meaningful way when she was growing up. This is not a case of 'adoption'. While Jack will love Sydney no matter what, Sydney's connection is that this man is her father, her flesh and blood.

Oh yeah. If Sloane turns out to be her father, I'm walking. And this is why:

Ah, but I think this is a little different. I think that from the beginning, the father-daughter relationship was set up as a foundation for the series and Mr Abrams knows it.

Well, I have an opinion on this that has nothing to do with story plots.

I think that Victor Garber and Jennifer Garner look enough alike to actually be father and daughter. With all the deliberate actions taken in the making of this series, it would be hard to believe that they "accidentally" cast two people who look enough alike to seem related.
Add Lena Olin into this mix, and you have a trio of completely unrelated people that could easy pass as a family, just on looks alone. Add in the mannerisms (Irina and Syd's hair adjustment, Jack's permanent brow scrunch that Syd does once in awhile), and it's something that would be completely senseless to tear down.

Back on plot track, I completely believe that Sloane is at his manipulative best. He sees everyone as pieces on a chess board, and he is the chess master. This is something thrown out to achieve a certain goal, even if that goal takes years to realize.
Sloane is very practiced, and very good at waiting a long time for his plans to come to fulfillment.

Back