That Summer

Gosh, Sydney must have really come to terms with her death, that or she's trying to be cool about it while being completely terrified. If that's true she's bond to have a breakdown soon, specially now that she has something she doesn't want to leave.

its creepy how syd seems to be totally fine with dying and writing her will and then michael's just sitting there wishing she wasnt gonna leave him... its sad, and strange, and depressing, and original.

sad for the end, but *hope* its happy...

ive just finished catching up  with this fic and i have to say i love it!!!!!!!!!

it's sooooooo heartbreaking and beautifully written and sad but happy at the same time

i mean u wanna feel sorry for vaughn but be happy for him at the same time and then the same for syd and i mean can u be sad and happy for someone at the same time!!!!!

conclusion...it's sad and beautiful and i want wait for more!!!!!!!

update soon :sadangel:

Wow, she has her x-rays. At least they know she has a brain. lol

She must have already come to terms with her time left. She is tying up all the loose ends.
She got her father's property and papers taken care of and now she will be getting her affairs in order.

omg! I just found this fic, and I'm soo sad that I found it when it was just ending! But anyways, it's fantastic! This is so sad, I had no idea it was going to be this sad when I first started it, but I love it so much! Your writing is fantastic, and I love the S/V love, it's absolutely the most adorable thing EVER!! I can't wait for more! Truly, amazing job! Update soon!

Celeste

If I were Sydney I wouldn't be so fine with dying, she seems cool with it, like there is nothing wrong. As for Vaughn, you have to be strong to look at the thing which is killing the woman you love and not break down :cry:

oy this site too long enough to return didnt it... ok here's the last part

Chapter 18
On Saturday morning, I was laying in bed listening to the soft sounds of Sydney’s breathing beside me, completely loving life. I had been only a little over two weeks since Sydney had blown back into my life and, though her presence came with a rather grave reality, I was still enjoying her being with me. Okay enjoying was probably an understatement; I was blissful.

I rolled onto my side and watched her sleep for I don’t know how long, but it was peaceful watching her eyelids gently flutter and listening to the even sounds of her breathing. When she awoke, she stretched her legs but kept her eyes squeezed tight; looking almost as though she didn’t want to pull herself from the dream world. When she did open her eyes, a large smile blossomed across her face at the sight of me watching her.

We didn’t speak a good morning, but I brought my hand up to stroke her face and gently tap her nose, which made her giggle softly. She snuggled up to me and, for a moment, I thought it was going to be nothing more than that, but she surprised me by pushing me onto my back and kissing me fully. Before I even had a chance to kiss her back, she had already brought her feet up used them to pull my boxers half off. This was not a new way to awake for me, but it still made me laugh softly through our kiss. “Syd.”

“Mmm,” she sighed her response against my lips. I shouldn’t have said anything but I was… concerned, I guess, yeah, concerned. You see, in the week since Sydney and I had first made love she had been very, well, insatiable, for lack of a better word. Now, normally guys would have been practically killing themselves to line up to have a wife or girlfriend who was as… ahem, loving as she and I wasn’t complaining – trust me I wasn’t – I was simply concerned.

“Syd wait,” I mumbled as she did away completely with my boxers. I managed to push her up off me enough to get out more than one syllable, but, in doing this, I saw her looking utterly perplexed. “What’s with you? I mean… you’re so…,” I let my voice drift off unable to come up with a term that wouldn’t offend her.

“So what?” she asked.

“So… I dunno. It’s just… we’ve been doing this a lot and… I mean, is it because o-” I changed course mid-word because of the dangerous look on her face, “ov-you’re horny?”

Thankfully, this elicited a hysterical laugh from her instead of a painful smack or something worse. She laughed for a few moments before taking off her tank top and settling back down on my chest. “I’m not horny,” she paused to kiss me, “okay, well maybe I am a little but I just,” she kissed me, “really… really… really…really,” she kissed me between each really, “enjoy spending time with you.”

Yeah, right, like I was going to continue running my mouth off after that. But still, under the surface there was concern. I had yet to initiate love making in our relationship, mostly it was because she beat me to it and sometimes it felt more like we were having sex, not making love. Okay, totally a girl thing to say, I know, but, even though it had been just over a week, it concerned me, especially because of the other circumstances in her life; it made me wonder.

~*~

Apparently, my attempt to keep my concerns suppressed were unsuccessful, very unsuccessful. It was either that, or my making a comment to Sydney had bothered her much more than she let on because practically from the moment we got out of bed Saturday morning, her attitude was different. She stayed away from me, not in a different room away, just half a couch cushion away from me on the couch. She didn’t give me occasional kisses through the day like she had been either.

Though it had really only been a little over a day, by Sunday afternoon it was really beginning to bother me. For starters, that had been the longest period of time we hadn’t been at each other in a week, but that wasn’t what was bothering me. I was more concerned for the fact that I had offended her or upset her in some way, which wasn’t my intention at all. I was simply trying to voice my concerns for her, but obviously that backfired. So, I did the only thing I thought could help the situation and make her feel wanted.

She was standing by the kitchen window, looking out at my mama’s garden, which had really become her garden. I walked up behind her, wrapped my arms around her waist and slipped my hands underneath her tank top, caressing her stomach as I kissed the back of her neck. She gave a contented little noise as she turned her head to the side so that her lips met mine. “Took ya long enough,” she mumbled through our kiss.

I pulled back and gave her a confused look, wondering what exactly she had meant by that. It took me a moment to decipher the sly smile on her face, but when it hit me, I laughed. She had never been upset. It was all a game; she was playing hard to get. I went to kiss her again, but she pulled back saying, “Wait one second, there’s something I need you to do first.”

“What?” I asked. She walked over to her purse, which was resting up on the kitchen counter against the wall, and picked up a manila envelope from underneath it; one I hadn’t even noticed before. She pulled a legal-looking document out of it, grabbed a pen and held it out to me.

“Sign this please,” she requested

I took it and looked down at it with a furrowed brow. I only had to read the first line to realize I wouldn’t understand the legal jargon it contained. “What is it?” I asked.

“It’s for my will. I’m leaving you everything Michael,” she told me. I was stunned into silence at this. She was leaving it to me!? Was she insane?

Noting my expression, she continued, “Look, I don’t have anyone to leave it to okay? I was just going to have to burden some poor person with it… I mean, if you don’t want it that’s fine. It’s not much, just some investments and my daddy’s things; do what you want with them.”

I looked at her in disbelief. “Are… are you sure?” I asked. She nodded firmly. “O-okay,” I stammered. Was it okay? I had no idea. It wouldn’t even really sink in for quite some time either and by the time I realized just how big it was, it was almost too late.

~*~

Another few days went by and Sydney and I fell back into our routine. I was beginning to feel bad about the fact that I wasn’t providing her enough entertainment since she was mostly sitting around reading my mama’s books. Not that I had a plethora of exciting options for her (Liberty was kinda restrictive in that respect), but I still felt bad, so I offered to take her someplace. “Wanna go to the beach?” I asked with a grin.

She looked up at me, past her feet that were slung up over the back of the couch (apparently that was a comfortable position to read in – go figure) and shrugged as much as she could in her laying down position. “Not really,” she sighed.

“Florida? Vegas?” I offered. She shook her head. “Come on – how about oh! Disney World?”

“Michael no,” she said, laughing softly. “What the matter with you?”

“ME?! What’s the matter with you?!” I retorted sharply. Okay, so I snapped a little bit, but it was bound to happen at some point. “I mean Jesus – I know I’m not supposed to bring it up but you’re dying Sydney, dying and you’re just sitting around here doing nothing! Shouldn’t you be living? Shouldn’t you be doing SOMETHING?! Like… I don’t know, jumping out of a plane!”

She gave me an almost disappointed look as she swung her feet down and sat up properly. “Yes, Michael, I realize that I’m dying and, while I appreciate the reminder I don’t need it. I’m well aware of it.”

“You don’t act like it,” I muttered.

She gave me a hard look saying, “Did it ever occur to you that I am actually living out my life the way I want to? Because I am Michael, I am. You know what my life was like before this whole thing happened? I worked twelve - sometimes fourteen - hour days. I worked my ass off because I wanted to move up the ladder. I wanted to be management, then an executive and then finally a partner and hopefully before I was thirty. I didn’t just want to be Sydney nobody who had a funny accent sometimes when she was tired. I wanted to be the person. I never took a break; I never slowed down. I just worked.

“Then,” she paused and sighed. “This happened and… and everything changed – my priorities changed. What did it matter how hard I worked? I was just going to die anyway. So I came down here to deal with my daddy’s things and I didn’t know what I was gonna do once I was done… all I know is that right now, I don’t wanna be anywhere else but here with you and I certainly don’t want to jump out of plane,” she said firmly.

I cracked a small smile, walked around the couch and sat beside her, taking her hand. “I’m sorry… I… well, I’m sorry,” I sighed. If the situation was reversed, I doubt I’d be sitting here in Liberty. Then again, I’ve never really been anywhere else or done anything else. She has, so I guess the perspective is different.

“It’s okay, I forgive you,” she said before kissing me softly.

Chapter 19
I guess I should have seen it coming. I should have, but I didn’t.

After my blow up about the way Sydney was living her life, I sort of let the fact that she was dying slip from my mind, which, I suppose, was a good thing. Forgetting enabled me to enjoy those next four weeks with her to the fullest extent. Truly, it was the best month of my life, but all that good made the bad just that much worse. I let myself fall, I did, without even realizing it and, after that time with her, I was so in love with her, I didn’t even think it was possible to love someone that much.

I loved the way she smiled, everything about it, both her dimples and all her teeth that showed. I loved the way we slept, with her hand always resting on my stomach and her head resting on my shoulder so that I could feel her breath being exhaled onto my neck. I loved the conversations we’d have after making love. Mostly, though, I just loved her, in my life, every moment of every day.

As the days passed on, it became more and more evident to the Liberty townsfolk just what was going on between Sydney and me. They’d see us walking down Main Street, hand-in-hand, never separating for an instant. We weren’t even covert about stealing kisses where many people could observe us. We just didn’t care what they thought; it didn’t matter.

After walking, we’d go home and sit in the garden, which probably was the most amazing thing of all. In only a few short weeks, Sydney had taken my mama’s garden from a horrible excuse for a piece of land to the most gorgeous, colorful space I had ever seen. It may have even been better than the way my mama had it before she passed. It was amazing and I loved spending time out there with Sydney. It was obvious she loved it too since she was always beaming with pride when she looked out across what she had created.

I loved those days. I loved them when they were happening and I loved them years down the road but… during that in between time, I cursed them, hating them for making me so happy and then making it hurt so much worse in the end.

It started as just a normal Tuesday morning – completely and totally normal, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I woke up to Sydney’s gorgeous smile, I kissed her and that kiss sparked us making love. Around ten, Sydney got out of bed and threw on her tank top and shorts. Perfectly normal. That, however, is where the norm ended.

She walked around the bed, smiling at me all the way, and just when she reached the edge of the doorway, she stopped and looked back, her mouth opening as though she was about to say something. Instead of words though, a strange noise came out, almost as if she was trying to speak, but couldn’t. Her balance wavered slightly and she clamped her eyes shut tightly, shooting her one hand to the door fame to catch her balance.

I watched from the bed in horror as she took a step forward, stumbled and collapsed down onto the floor. “Sydney!” I shouted, bolting from the bed and crouching down on the floor beside her. She struggled to focus on me for a moment as her hands reached out for mine. I grasped her hands tightly in mine and repeated her name, though my voice was much harsher and choked. “Sydney please, what’s wrong?”

“I…,” she began. Her body was swaying, almost as though she was dizzy. She closed her eyes for a moment as though trying to compose herself. Then, she opened her eyes and I saw them filling with tears. “I think… I think you should take me to the hospital,” she croaked out.

“Okay, Sydney, okay,” I said. Then, I leaned over and pressed a kiss into her forehead. “You’re going to be okay,” I told her, but I truly didn’t believe it.

I put on my pants and shirt as quickly as I could. Then, I grabbed a few items of Sydney’s clothing and crammed them in a bag, anticipating that we might be at the hospital for a while. Once this was done, I reached out my hands for Sydney’s, helping her to her feet. It was obvious she couldn’t walk, so I scooped her up in my arms and carried her down stairs.

“My file…,” she croaked.

“I know, I’m getting it,” I said. Once downstairs, I walked over to the corner bookshelf to pick up the manila folder holding her medical records.

“Y-you n-need to take me to the hospital in Bir-Birmingham,” she managed. The way her words were slurring together was terrifying me. I nodded my head, knowing that Liberty’s make-shift medical facilities would be no help to her and that taking her to any hospital nearby would only result it wasting precious time, having her transferred to a better treatment center anyway.

I put Sydney down on a kitchen chair and reached for the phone. We needed to get to Birmingham as fast as possible and I only knew one way to do it.

~*~

An hour later, we were speeding down the highway, closing in on Birmingham. I was in the back of the sheriff’s car, holding Sydney tightly while she trembled. Like I mentioned before, Alex Stanton, a former classmate of Sydney’s and mine, was the sheriff’s deputy and I called him up, telling him that I needed to get to the hospital in Birmingham as quickly as possible. Luckily for me, Alex wasn’t one to ask lots of questions, especially after he heard the level of desperation that was in my voice. He simply took one look at how pale Sydney was and said nothing more. He ushered us into the back of his car, flicked on the siren and we were on our way.

When we arrived at the hospital, everything was a blur. Sydney couldn’t walk, so Alex helped me carry her inside. I went straight up to the admit nurse in the ER and gave her Sydney’s file along with a brief explanation of her case. Boy did Alex have a shocked and horrified look on his face, when he heard the words I was sayin’.

Immediately after I explained the situation, doctors came over and rushed Sydney off, leaving me behind. Alex offered to stay with me, but I told him to go on; this was something I needed to do alone. He left after giving me a very sympathetic and pitiful look. I ignored this. After all, it wouldn’t have done me or Sydney any good to grumble and growl at him; he was only trying to help.

Once I was alone, a nurse directed me to another floor and told me where I could wait for Sydney to be done with her tests. I hung my head and slowly made my way towards the elevator. For the first time it really and truly hit me.

This was it; this was the end.

Chapter 20
A large group of people were waiting by the elevator and I really felt like being alone, so I turned around and walked towards the stairs. I only had to go to the third floor and I really needed the walk anyway. Besides, walking up the stairs would take longer and, really, what I needed then was to prolong the inevitable.

As I was walking, I noticed a sign overhead for the chapel. Normally, this wouldn’t have fazed me one bit but, for some reason, it did that time. You see, this is where the tiny little glimmer of change was happening within me. After all, the whole world as I knew it was crumblin’ and fallin’ apart, I might as well have gone along with it.

I walked over to the chapel and stared at the door for a good, long while before I went inside. The atmosphere was dimly lit, hanging with sadness and the floor was carpeted in the ugliest shade of maroon I had ever seen. A handful of people sat in the three rows of pews in that tiny room; they were all praying. I stood there, wondering what exactly I was going to do. Was I really going to pray? Would that really be wise?

I watched the people. Almost all of them were clutching crumpled tissues in one of their hands. One of the women, obviously a Catholic, was rubbing rosary beads. One of the men was holding a Bible. I was nothing like any of these people. For starters, I hadn’t said a prayer in years, having been a firm believer that they were a waste of time. But, as I stood there, I wondered what the harm could possibly be. After all, Sydney was… well, she wasn’t doin’ well and maybe, just maybe, a prayer could help her and something that could help her was worth my while.

I walked slowly towards a pew in the back and I sat down. I stared blankly down at my shoelaces, wondering what exactly I was supposed to do. What should I say? The people around me, though they were whispering, I could hear them asking for hope, for strength for their loved ones, but… I wasn’t sure if I could do that.

I sat there for a solid few minutes before a man sat beside me, real close too. I looked over and, the moment I saw him, I knew he was the preacher of this tiny church within the hospital. “What’s on your mind, son?” he asked in a quiet tone.

See, now there’s one thing I couldn’t stand about the south. I hated it when people called me ‘son’. I wasn’t their son; I didn’t even know them! But yet every single person (at least it seemed like everyone) would call me ‘son’. Sure, I knew they were just tryin’ to be nice or friendly or somethin’, but it really bugged me.

Anyway, I shrugged slightly, not really knowing what to say. “You’re here with someone you care about?” he asked; I nodded. Freaky how people could read you that way. “Well, maybe you should pray,” he suggested.

“I… don’t know what to say,” I croaked honestly.

“Just say what’s on your mind, son,” he told me before patting my shoulder gently, standing up and walking away.

I sat there for a few minutes, staring down at my hands clasped in my lap, before words began to form in my head. Look, I know I haven’t been to church much…. Okay, at all and I know there are probably people here in this hospital who deserve to have their prayers answered much more than I do. They’re probably better people than me, I don’t know that. All I know is that Sydney’s sick, real sick. She’s in a bad way and… I don’t want her to die. I love her and… I need her. That’s probably not what you want to here… I don’t know what you want to hear come to think of it…. I just want her to live - not for me though… for her. She’s such a wonderful person, she deserves to live a real life; a full life. She can’t die… she’s… she’s just too young. Please… please let her be okay… please… please…

~*~

Upstairs, I paced. I walked that hall back and forth so many times I’m shocked I didn’t wear the floor through. It must have been an hour, well maybe not that long, but it felt like days before I saw a doctor approaching me. “Mr.… Vaughn, is it?” he asked; I nodded. “I’m Doctor Jamison, I’m the neurologist here and I’ll be taking over Sydney’s case.”

“Alright, how is she,” I asked eagerly. I didn’t want him to sugar coat it; I just wanted the facts.

He pulled me into his nearby office before continuing. What he told me didn’t surprise me, not in the least. Sydney’s tumor had grown, just like her doctors in Chicago said it would. It had encroached upon the brainstem so much that it was causing her heart to beat irregularly; that’s what caused her collapse that morning at my house. How long did she have? It was hard to say, but at the rate the tumor was growing, he didn’t know if she’d last the week.

The news crushed me. I knew it was coming, but to hear it from a man standing there in a white jacket with a stethoscope slung around his neck just made it that much worse. It made it real. I didn’t cry; I was too numb. Sydney wouldn’t last the week; she had less than three days left to live.

“Is there anything you can do?” I asked, making a desperate plea.

The doctor pulled Sydney’s latest brain scan up on the x-ray viewing machine in his office. He stared at it for quite some time before shaking his head and saying, “I’m sorry… I… don’t think there is. You see, when a tumor is this close to the brainstem, it’s almost impossible to remove without doing severe damage to the brainstem itself, causing a patient instant death.”

Something in his comment struck me, it struck me real hard. Almost impossible. Almost. If something was almost impossible, didn’t that mean that there was a teeny, tiny possibility that it was, in fact, possible? I posed my question to the doctor and he laughed softly at me, “Son, I know you mean well but…”

“Sir, please,” I cut him off, more determined than ever. “If there’s any chance, why can’t you take it?” I don’t understand this. If she’s going to die anyway, why not risk the surgery? If she ends up dying in the operating room, she’s no worse off… right?

“It’s not up to you; it’s up to Sydney,” he said.

“But if Sydney were to agree…” I lead him.

He sighed and glanced back at the x-ray. “I suppose I-”

That was all the answer I needed. I bolted from his office and to Sydney’s hospital room. When I walked inside, I found her attached to heart monitors and all sorts of other machines I didn’t recognize. There was a tube of air running under her nose and she appeared to be dozing off. I crept up to her bedside and slipped my hand in hers. This caused her to stir. “Syd it’s me,” I whispered to her.

“Michael,” she mumbled back.

I lifted her hand and kissed it gently. “Yeah, it’s me. How are you?” She didn’t give me a response, not that I was expecting one. “Syd, hey Syd… Syd I love you,” I told her. That was the first time I had uttered those words aloud to anyone. I had never really loved anyone before. I didn’t know how, I suppose, having such a poor, or rather, destroyed example growing up.

With this, she opened her eyes, but slowly. She looked at me curiously, as though trying to see if I was really there, loving her. Then, after a moment, a smile spread across her face. “I love you too,” she whispered. This gave me great relief, hearing those four little words from her, and I leaned down and kissed her. “I’m sorry Michael,” she sighed against my lips.

“What? Sorry why?”

“Sorry because… because I’m dying,” she choked out, tears forming in her eyes. “I’m sorry, really sorry; I didn’t want to hurt you, or anyone.”

“No, baby no,” I said, stroking her face softly. “It’s okay. It is really… I … I just wish we had more time, you know?”

“’sokay,” she said, closing her eyes once more and letting a few tears slip out. “’sokay Michael because… because I’ve loved these past six weeks with you. I couldn’t have spent them any other way and had a better time.”

This caused my heart to break a little and I squeezed her hand a bit tighter. “Syd what if we had more time,” I said, my heart beginning to race at the hope I was feeling. She opened her eyes and looked at me curiously. “Sydney, I know what the doctors said, but… but what if you had the surgery, hmm? What if you did? What would be the difference? If you stay here and you don’t have the surgery, you’re going to die in a few days… but if you have the surgery there might be a one in one million chance of you being okay and then you’d be okay – you’d…. you’d be here with me,” I told her.

“Michael,” she said, shaking her head softly. “It’s… I… I can’t. The surgery won’t work. I’ll die.”

“But what if-”

“No, please,” she cut me off by pressing her fingertips against my lips. “Please, just let it go, Michael, please.”

“No,” I shook my head. I was desperate. I kissed her fingers and then moved my face up beside hers, whispering in her ear, “No, please, please try, please. I need you…”

“He’s right,” came the doctor’s soft voice from the doorway. Both Sydney and I looked to him. “We could… try. There’s absolutely no guarantee except that you probably won’t make it, but… there’s a chance - a one in a million chance.”

“You’d do it?” Sydney asked him quietly. He gave her a single nod. Her eyes turned to look at me and I looked at her. I was silently begging her to agree and praying at the same time that she would. Our eyes were locked for, I don’t know how long, but it seemed like forever before she finally croaked, “Okay.” A smile spread across my face; a tiny bit of hope had returned.

~*~

“You have to understand Michael, at this point, I don’t see her making it through surgery,” the doctor told me later that day as Sydney was being prepped. He said it was best to do the surgery as soon as possible, before the tumor had the chance to grow any larger, so the moment Sydney agreed, they began getting the OR ready and Dr. Jamison had to assemble his team, all of whom thought he was mad. “I don’t want you getting your hopes up.”

“I know,” I nodded. My hopes weren’t up; my hopes weren’t anything except barely existent. I had only the tiniest, smallest amount of hope in the world. Hope for only one tiny impossible thing to happen - my prayers to be answered. I knew this wasn’t possible but… if it was…

I walked slowly back into Sydney’s hospital room. Nurses were hovering around her, prepping her for the surgery. So far, the only light moment of our day had been when they came into shave the back of Sydney’s head for the surgery, which, of course, I mocked her for. Hey, humor gets me through pain, okay?

When the nurses saw me, they slowly left the room, giving us our chance to say goodbye. “Hey,” she breathed.

“Hey,” I echoed her. I walked over to her beside and gave her a long, loving kiss. “I love you,” I sighed.

“I love you too,” she repeated. “Michael… Michael can you do one thing for me?” she asked. I nodded. Of course, I’d do anything for her. “You know your mama’s garden? Well… I know you don’t really like plants, but… but could you keep it nice for me, just for a little while? I know it won’t stay that way forever, but just… maybe through the rest of the year? Can you water the plants - and not too much, you know, just enough so that they don’t dry out and then… maybe… maybe when you look out there could you think of me? And remember me? Please?”

“Of course Sydney, of course, yes of course,” I repeated, though I was fighting more than ever to keep my emotions from getting the better than me. I gave her one last kiss and then the doctor came in and took her away. I didn’t let go of her hand until the very last second and I watched them wheel her away down the hall, knowing in that moment that, no matter how long I lived, I would never, ever stop loving her.

Epilogue
Walking here in my garden, I am reminded of both my mama and Sydney, as I always have been when taking this familiar stroll. Sure, as the years went by and my age began climbing higher and higher my strolls are less frequent and are a bit more difficult, but still, I walk. I love this garden, and not a year has passed by since my twenty-seventh year that it hasn’t been in bloom. I could have moved away from my mama’s house in that time, but I didn’t because moving would have meant leaving the garden, leaving them.

This garden reminds me of how much I loved and still love those two amazing women. You see, I never stopped loving Sydney. The love I had for her is endless and true and something I never believed possible. She showed me in those six weeks we spent together that people in this world can be good and true. They don’t always have to end up disappointing you like my daddy did. She never disappointed me, not Sydney, not ever.

I hear my wife callin’ me from the house and I should go inside; the grandkids are commin’ to visit. I’ll go inside in a moment, for there’s one last thing I have to share with you. When I started my tale, I told you that I believed two things to be indisputably true about the world. Well, I’ve already proved that the one was wrong. Love can last forever, some loves that is. The special ones. But what about the other? That all our prayers and hopes are fruitless. They only allow us to prolong our hurt and the harsh reality of our lives until we finally give up on those prayers and face the truth. I believed that no wish or prayer would ever come true.

Well, guess what? I was wrong about that, too.

----------------------------------------------
thanks for reading everyone! The sequel Nothing's Ever Easy will be posted immeidatly.

Thanks for finishing this up, here.

I am glad you have Random Fans. It has been a great alternative, especially when AA gets too busy or goes down.

Such a great ending. It was a nice twist, not mentioning that Sydney is still alive till the very end!!

I'm off to read the sequel! Thanks for another amazing story.

This was such a great fic. It really made me cry in the end. I'm really glad that you kept Syd alive. Otherwise, I probably would've been crying a little bit more. I really liked the fic. Now, off to go read Kate and the new one! Thanks for writing!

-erin :smiley:

Back