The Hardest Thing

I can tell right now Peter and Sydney's marriage isn't that strong. Even if Michael wasn't there, Sydney and Peter don't seem too much alike.

Chris

wow, not a lot of replies, but thanks to those of you that did!!!!

Chapter 2
“So, Michael, what made you move here after being in California all those years?” Sydney asked just as their entrées arrived.

Before answering the question, Michael looked down at Sydney’s plate and laughed. “I can’t believe you ordered a grilled cheese sandwich.”

Sydney blushed slightly as she ripped her grilled cheese in half, letting the cheese from one half ooze out onto the other. “I like grilled cheese,” she said simply.

“Well we all like grilled cheese – it’s just not something you order at a restaurant off the kids menu,” he laughed. Sydney merely shrugged as she reached for the ketchup bottle. “Anyway I just felt like I needed a change, you know? I grew up here and was sick of being here so I went out there, but then after a while I got sick of being out there too, so I decided to give home another try. I quit my job, moved here and called up my old friend,” Michael smiled at Peter before biting into the sandwich on his plate.

Peter put his knife down across his salad plate as he shook his head at Michael. “Came out here with no plan, hmm? That’s typical,” Peter commented.

“Excuse me Mr. I have my life planned out until the day I die, but some of us don’t need to be organized to the point of psychotic,” Michael told him. Sydney stifled a laugh at this and both men looked up to her. “See,” Michael smiled proudly.

“So,” Sydney said, clearing her throat and changing the subject, “you don’t have a job yet?”

“I’ve got a few prospects and some good recommendations. It shouldn’t be too much longer ‘til I’m back at the grind again,” he said.

For the next fifteen minutes conversation flowed on between Sydney and Michael, who, as it turned out, had much in common. Michael, like Sydney, had pursued a degree in English. Unlike Sydney, who used her degree to become a teacher, Michael minored in business and used those combined degrees to work in the publishing field. He had been an editor and a publicist for a well-known national firm in his internship days, but liked editing the best. Sydney found this career fascinating and the two of them chatted about it until it was clear Peter, a science teacher, was quickly growing suicidal.

“So do you guys, like, work at the same school or something? Is that how you met?” Michael asked to change their conversation line.

“No, we work in the same district,” Peter told him.

“I work at the middle school – seventh grade English – and Peter teaches Physics at the high school,” Sydney explained further. “We ran into each other in the parking lot – literally,” Sydney chuckled. “Peter rear ended me.”

“Jerk,” Michael shot at him, though he had a smile on his face.

Peter’s expression hardened. “The sun was in my eyes.”

“Suuuure,” Sydney and Michael teased in unison before exchanging laughs. “Anyway,” Sydney continued, “he took me to an apologetic lunch and…that was almost two years ago,” she shrugged simply.

“Sweet,” Michael smiled.

“What about you? Any girlfriends to speak of?” Sydney asked him. Peter gave a suspicious snorting noise that Michael ignored, but it caused Sydney to give him a strange look.

“Michael doesn’t have girlfriends,” Peter explained, “he has flavors of the week.”

“In college I did. I’ve had a few girlfriends, but none currently,” Michael told Sydney.

“Maybe I’ll have to fix you up with a nice teacher then,” Sydney told him with a smile. Michael scrunched up his nose. “What’s the matter? Don’t like teachers?”

“Not really…they just remind me of high school which sucked,” Michael said. Sydney shrugged innocently; it was only a suggestion.

The three of them continued their conversation for the next hour until they finally paid the check since the waiters were glaring at them, a clear sign they needed to vacate the premises. “This was really fun; I had a great time,” Michael said, though he was looking at Sydney the whole time he spoke.

“So did I. We should do it again,” Sydney suggested, glancing over to her husband, who merely shrugged before mumbling a, ‘Yeah, I guess.’ “Great,” Sydney smiled, “we’ll keep in touch.” She extended her hand to Michael to say goodbye, but as he shook it he also gave her a kiss on the cheek that made her giggle.

When Sydney and Peter arrived back at their car, they found that their parking meter had expired and they had a parking ticket because of it. This, of course, only added to Peter’s sour mood. “Stuipd ticket… stupid Michael,” Peter muttered.

“What’s the matter?” Sydney asked cautiously.

Peter glared down the sidewalk at the disappearing frame of Michael. “I never liked that guy…”

“What are you, insane?! You talked about Michael constantly; he was your best friend!” Sydney insisted.

“Used to be,” Peter clarified. “He hasn’t changed at all…he’s still cracking jokes and…”

“Is this because he took a few shots at you?” Sydney asked knowingly. Peter grumbled under his breath. “They were harmless! Michael is very funny.”

“You think that because you two have the same odd sense of humor.”

“Um, no,” Sydney said, “we have a sense of humor.” Peter gave her a look. “Oh come on – you don’t and you know it.”

“Humor is for children,” Peter said simply as he pulled their car out into traffic. Sydney looked out the window and rolled her eyes. If she had to pick one quality about peter she liked the least it would have been his lack of sense of humor hands down. He did not even have a little tiny sense of humor; he had nothing, nada, zip, zilch. In fact, if possible, his sense of humor was negative. That was one thing she’d never understand.

“We have to hang out with him again, though,” Sydney said. Peter grumbled once more. “Oh come on! He doesn’t know anyone else here and he is your friend. What’s it gonna kill you to have him over for dinner or… take him bowling or something?”

Peter gave his wife a curious look. “When’s the last time you went bowling?!”

Sydney shrugged. “Ages ago – but I was just suggesting something fun to do where the main entertainment didn’t rely on conversation and teasing.”

“Oh,” Peter said shortly. “Yeah I guess that’d be okay… as long as we don’t have to hang out with him every week…what?!” he asked at the look she was giving him.

“Nothing,” Sydney sighed, looking back out the window. She had no idea why he was acting so strange.

Love your writing. Usually, I just 'lurk' but I want you to know that I faithfully check this forum for your updates.

Keep up the good work. (y)

-Sandy

Their first meeting was quite interesting :whistle: , I wonder why her husband was acting like he did. Does he have something to hide? Is he afraid that Sydney will fall for Vaughn?

I can't wait to see what's going to happen next, this fic reminds me of one you had posted some time ago with Sydney dating Vaughn's brother, is it going to be something like that? :naughty:

he's allready jealous just ditch they guy
how can u marry someone without a sense of humor
its the most important thing

hey,

this story is realy cute,
i relyy like michael playng the 'weiss' role in this!
thanks for the pm, testerday,
and sorry for not replyng,
Gracie

I do think Peter is hiding something, after all Vaughn was his Best Friend at one point. After one meeting with him, he can't dislike him that much already. He can't already feel threatened by the chemistry that Syd & Vaughn have... can he? Would be way too easy...

Some days I act like a blond! My previous review was for chapter one, I hadn't realized that you had posted the 2nd chapter, it's the new president fault!!! :angelnot: . From now I will blame him for eveything wrong I do :angelic:
I don't understand how Sydney could have married such a guy, with no sense of humour! It mustn't fun at home with such a husband, come on, Syd dump him and go to Vaughn!

Back