The Nearness of You

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Heck, I thought about more questions and then had an epiphany. Almost all of the ficlets here are rated PG-13 and only a minimally R for naughty thoughts. So, I decided to take a small detour and write a little ficlet having to do with memories of long ago.
SUMMARY: Jack has kissed his wife twice while she is recuperating from fractured ribs. He, too, has divided himself into the CIA agent who knows Irina Derevko cannot be trusted and that she is a terrorist having killed twelve CIA agents, yet the other half of him recognizes he loves her as his wife of twenty years ago and mother to their child, Sydney. Irina has been in the hospital four days
This is my question.
RATING: R

THE NEARNESS OF YOU

Conversation Five

Irina had not seen Jack since they kissed two nights ago. She missed him. Sydney had come by yesterday and they had talked. Sydney, of course, had questions, but then the ever-inquisitive Sydney Bristow often had questions that needed answers. Irina answered those she felt were appropriate. Irina, like Jack, had secrets. Some were dangerous to reveal and some needed to remain hidden—never to be revealed.

She did feel better. The doctor told her she was mending faster than he imagined she would and that he would be releasing her though at the time he reported to the CIA, a week after her admittance. That meant she had at least three more days. The bed next to her had remained empty. The CIA did not want anyone else in the room. She asked the doctor if they could move her to the bed next to the window. He had. At least she had blue sky to see. She found herself staring out wondering what the days and weeks would bring.

Irina heard the door open and looked over to see Jack entering. He was carrying a small vase with miniature yellow roses. They were her favorite flower and color. She never saw a yellow rose until she went to Central City and she began her training. Moscow was devoid of much color in the days of USSR dominance. Flowers were decadent—a sign of weakness.

Central City itself was located further south and there was a longer period of growing, not only flowers, but of farm vegetables which were used to feed the trainees. They had to become used to the flavors and textures of these beyond those that they knew. They were going to the United States where vegetables and fruits were common. Those students like her who came from a northern USSR, were less likely to be familiar with many items.

Now here was Jack with flowers—for her. Irina’s eyes lit up and she smiled. “I thought you needed some color in the room,” he said by way of explanation. He placed the vase down on the table in front of her.

Irina reached up and tenderly touched the flowers. Using her only free hand, she brought them closer to smell. They smelled wonderful.

“Do you remember when I first brought you flowers?”

“Yes, I remember—exactly.”

It had been two nights after the first time they slept together. The night when she seduced him, or thought she had. However, looking back on that night, Laura had wondered if it had not been both who had seduced each other. Still, the next day, he called and wanted to take her to dinner that night. Laura said no, but that she was available the following evening if the invitation was still open. That was the beginning.

Jack appeared at her door exactly at the time given—seven o’clock. He had made reservations at a very posh restaurant in Arlington, about a half hour away. He handed her a huge bouquet of long stem yellow roses. She had no tall vase, but the flowers were already in one as he anticipated she would not have one.

She smelled the roses. She was excited by the gift. “I love these. They are so beautiful.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek and then carried everything to the tiny kitchen. She added water and set them on the coffee table.

“Laura,” he said huskily, pulling her close to him, and kissing her hungrily. “Night before last was the best night of my life.” He kissed her again.

“You were fantastic yourself, sweetheart.” There, she said it to him for the first time. It would not be the last. “I am hungry. Sex on an empty stomach can be off-putting.”

His eyes widened and suddenly, she found herself being propelled through the door and out to his car. Dinner was superb. Laura knew she could never match this gourmet cooking. In fact, she thought dryly, she might have to spend some time learning how to cook the basics. Jack did not want to linger for coffee and dessert, but Laura insisted. She knew the waiting would make the night that much better for both of them.

It was nine-thirty when Jack pulled into his parking space. He helped Laura out of the car. He again pulled her into his arms and kissed her. “I had a wonderful time.”

She kissed him back. “It’s not over,” she whispered.

He opened the door to her apartment. She walked inside and Jack shut the door, locking it. She went into the kitchen. She poured him some scotch and gave herself a shot glass of iced Absolut.
They downed the liquor staring at each other hungrily.

Laura leaned forward and kissed him. “Thank you for the flowers and dinner.”

“You’re welcome,” he answered in a soft voice that promised more to come.

They both put their glasses on the sink. Laura took Jack’s hand and led him to the bedroom. She didn’t switch on the overhead light. Instead, she snapped on the lamp on the nightstand. It gave a low light since there was just a forty-watt bulb in it. Jack reached for her.

“No,” she stopped him, “let me take off your clothes.”

Surprised, Jack stood quietly as she removed his coat jacket, tie, shirt, and undershirt. She leaned down and kissed his nipples. She moved up to his jaw line, pressing her lips to his briefly, then to his jaw again. All the while, she stroked the hair on his chest, plying her hands and fingers like feathers floating across his skin. His breath caught in his throat and he closed his eyes briefly, swallowing hard.

He felt her long fingers at his waist, unbuckling his belt and drawing it off. She looked up into his face. Stepping close, she kissed him hard. He held her tight to his chest with one hand, his other to the back of her head, as he responded to the seductiveness of Laura’s slow but deliberate movements. His button was next and then the zipper was pulled down. He fidgeted wanting her to hurry. His erection was growing harder and longer every second. Her hands reached down cupping the bulge, gently stroking.

Jack moaned, “Laura, don’t take so long.”

“Sweetheart, patience is a virtue and will earn you rewards beyond your belief.”

She drew his trousers down over his narrow hips, letting them drop to the floor. He had kicked off his loafers and now stood nearly naked. She stepped back and stared seductively, licking her lips in anticipation. He moaned again. Laura left him standing there as she slowly, tantalizingly removed her own clothing, including her panties, dropping them to the floor. She was naked and he wasn’t yet. She stepped close to him again, feeling the bulge next her own nakedness. She kissed him lightly on the mouth. Her mouth moved smoothly over the nipples on his breast. Then slowly she planted wet kisses down his abdomen. Kneeling, she put both hands on his boxer shorts and slowly drew them off his hips, releasing his erection.

“Laura,” cried Jack, stepping out of the shorts, and pulling her up he held her close to him, kissing her on the neck. “I have to have you now.”

He pushed her onto the bed, lifted her hips across his, and entered her. He was not surprised to find her ready. Thrusting hard, he ejaculated almost within a minute but was excited when he realized she had come at the same time.

“Oh my God,” he cried as their bodies exploded. Her long legs were wrapped around his thighs as she bucked. She also cried out. They thrust repeatedly as if unable to get enough of each other.

Laura gasped aloud as she experienced a second orgasm and moaned in ecstasy. She closed her eyes. Jack lifted himself on his hands, looking down at this incredible woman. Sweat glistened on her body, her nipples were elongated, swollen slightly, and her lips were parted as she heaved with the pleasure of their lovemaking.

“Don’t leave me,” she whispered, begging him to stay inside her.

Minutes later, he felt himself pulling out. He lay beside her exhausted. She leaned over and kissed him. “That was wonderful, sweetheart.”

He smiled, feeling satisfied. He saw her breast hanging close. He reached up and took it in his mouth, sucking. Jack moved to the other breast, sucked it and releasing it, pulled her head down to kiss her. “You are fabulous. What in the world did I do to deserve you?” He kissed her again, running his hands over her body, and taking her into his arms, fell asleep.

Irina stared at the flowers, remembering that night, exactly. They had made love again, later that night. It wasn’t quite the same, but the result was. She looked up at Jack and found him staring into her eyes. “Do you remember?” He persisted.

“Yes, every detail, Jack. You brought me yellow roses then too.” She leaned forward to smell the roses again, her heart beating so loud she thought he must hear it.

He pulled up the chair and sat down, reaching for her left hand still handcuffed to the bed.

*** :love:

SUMMARY: Irina Derevko, international terrorist, assassin, Rambaldi expert, wife of Jack Bristow, and mother of Sydney Bristow is in the hospital after being captured in Mexico following a spectacular leap off a forty seven-story building. She sustained four broken ribs. She was hospitalized in a CIA hospital in the United States. When the doctor releases her, she will be removed to a Federal Prison. There, she will wait for the courts to judge her fate, imprisonment for the rest of her life or death.
She has spent five days in the hospital and the doctor, amazed at her recuperative power, is going to release her. Jack was with her three days during which they talked about themselves and their lives. Sydney also saw her mother a few times. However, the weekend is coming and she and Vaughn will be going to Santa Barbara. She won’t know until she returns the fate of her mother. Jack has visited Irina twice since he was discharged. The last time he brought her yellow roses.
Now she will be leaving, probably never to see him again.
RATING: Doesn’t matter.

THE NEARNESS OF YOU

Conversation Six

Irina stared out the window. It was getting dark outside…Blue sky fading to gray and soon to black. She had had x-rays again preparatory to being released. The young doctor had come to see her before they brought her food. The shift nurse stood just inside the door.

“You are extraordinary,” he had said, her chart in his hands. He looked down and scribbled something.

“What are you talking about?”

“Your ribs are healing at a faster rate than I’ve ever seen. It takes two or three weeks for this much calcium to appear.” He put the chart on the table and moved to her side. He pushed the button that would raise the bed. “Do you know why?” He moved the covers back, exposing her body. He bent down and gently pressed on her right rib cage. “Feel anything?” That morning the nurse had removed the chest strapping.

She winced. “Yes, some pain. Not as much as last Sunday.”

“Good, I thought as much.” He reached for her wrist, taking her pulse. “You still haven’t answered my question.”

“I don’t know about why, Doctor.” She hoped he’d finish. She was a bit chilly without the covers over her.

“Ummm,” he murmured, writing something in her chart.

“What?”

“Nothing, Ms. Derevko. You’ll be discharged in the morning. The marshals will be moving you out of here.” He smiled. “You’ve been a good patient. Good luck.” He knew she going to be moved to the Federal Prison in San Pedro. “Just be careful for a few more days. Don’t play any football.” He winked at her and left the room.

For a moment, Irina was puzzled by his last remark; then she got it and smiled. He forgot to pull the covers up. She reached down and with only her right hand free, managed to get them up over her body. She leaned back and looked at the left wrist that was handcuffed to the bed. It had been that way ever since they brought her. She pulled at it for a moment, hoping against hope that by some kind of magic it would come apart. It didn’t. She shrugged and leaned back.

It was dark now. She had eaten the food they brought her. She went on a walk, her left wrist handcuffed to one of the marshals. The other marshal walked beside her, his hand on his firearm, as though ready to stop anyone who might try to rescue the prisoner. She found it ludicrous. Irina finished the walk, which had been prescribed by the doctor two days ago. He explained she needed to strengthen her muscles before they atrophied.

Tomorrow was not a day she was looking forward too, but there was no way it wouldn’t happen. She had been in prison before, both in her country and here, so it was not going to be a new experience. She wondered if they would let her choose a lawyer this time. When Jack initiated the attempt to have her imprisoned three months ago, the CIA took her to Camp Harris first. That was not pleasant. Then they put her into the prison. There was a hearing and she had pled guilty. She did not want Sydney to know everything she had done while married to Jack. She even gave up the appeals process. In doing so, the tribunal had sentenced her to Death in spite of Jack’s coming forward to admit he had framed her.

Jack! She smiled, looking out the window and remembering last night. He had initiated the kiss again. His passion had overwhelmed her. He didn’t seem to want to stop. She didn’t want him to stop. They explored each other’s mouth, sucking, pushing, engulfing each other. Irina had felt surges between her legs. Finally, Jack lifted his head up to look at her.

“If we could go back in time, would you repeat your life as it is now?”

“I would not want to repeat any of my life before I met you,” she whispered. She took his left hand in her free one, locked fingers, and kissed the back of his hand.

Jack put his right hand under her chin, tilting it so their eyes met. He saw no guile and no lie. He knew she was truthful about this at least. Their deepening emotions were getting dangerously explosive. He didn’t know what he was going to do now. Irina Derevko was being sent to prison tomorrow. “I wish both of us could go back,” he said. “Things might be different the second time around.

“You will always own a part of my heart, Irina, remember that.” He stood, relinquishing her face. “I’ve got to go. Sydney should be on her way to Santa Barbara, so she won’t be here tonight.”

“I know. We said good-bye this morning.” She smiled.

“Take care of yourself, Irina.” He said standing briefly at the foot of the bed before turning to open the door.

“You too!” She said.

Then he was gone. Irina felt a terrible loneliness descend over her. Jack and Sydney were both gone. She would see them no more. She doubted they would come to see her in prison or would have time. A tear escaped down her cheek as she pushed the button on her bed that would lower it into a comfortable sleeping position.

She was in a deep sleep when a sound intruded on her. It was loud enough to cut through her REM time. She moved a little and then straightened out to fall back into her sleep. Seconds later, someone pulled her forward, slapped duct tape across her mouth, and dropped a black bag over her head. The handcuff was removed from the bed and locked onto her right wrist behind her back. She was pulled out of bed into a standing position. The pain returned to her chest. Behind the bag, tears filled her eyes, tears of pain and terror.

Irina tried to struggle, but was held in someone’s tight grip. A robe was thrown around her and the belt tied to keep it on her body. Slippers were put on her bare feet. Then she felt two hands on either arm propel her forward out of the room past two bodies she could not see and into the elevator across from the nurses station, which was now manned by two nurses lying face down on their desks.

They left the elevator and it was dampish smelling. She didn’t hear any sounds that would indicate they were on the ground floor. There were hissing sounds and little clanking. They had gone to the basement. She couldn’t resist. She was at their mercy, whoever they were. A door opened, they went through it. Two seconds later, she was pushed into the back of a van.

The two men carefully lowered her to the floor of the vehicle, muttering something she could not hear. “Stay put and don’t move.” Someone said harshly in her left ear. Irina had no choice but to accede. She was helpless.

The vehicle moved swiftly off into the night. The hospital was silent also. Irina Derevko had left the building without a trace.

Irina shivered. She had absolutely no idea where she was being taken or why. She certainly had not contacted Arvin or Sark, who was in CIA custody. Her contact in Los Angles possibly had learned something, but she seriously doubted he had the ability to pull this off. Was she going to be killed and buried somewhere. Who was behind it? Why? She shivered again. She thought if she weren’t gagged, she would hear her teeth chattering. As if reading her mind, someone put something warm around her. It had to be a blanket, she thought, and it did begin to warm her. Irina could do nothing. She was still a prisoner, but not of the United States.

The van stopped. She had no idea where she was nor what time it was. Hands reached down and pulled her to her feet. She felt the handcuffs being removed. She almost cried with the relief she felt. Her chest had been hurting ever since the hospital. She might be on the mend, but there was still pain. A door opened and she was pulled out to the ground. She sniffed the air gently and smelled the ocean. She heard a familiar noise as a small private jet’s engines were idling nearby.

What was going on here? She was pushed forward, up some steps into the cabin of a plane. She was put into a seat and the seat belt pulled tight. Thoroughly confused, Irina was unprepared for the sharp prick of a needle into her arm. A blanket was dropped around her body. The drug began to take effect. The bag was withdrawn and someone reached down tearing the tape from across her mouth. Footsteps walking to the doorway told her one of her rescuers had left. She looked up and saw the other man staring at her. She did not know who it was. He had a black bag over his head with small eyeholes cut in it. Things were getting fuzzy.

“Hide,” the voice behind the bag hissed. “Don’t come back.” Then he was gone and she lost consciousness.

The plane taxied out to the runway and in minutes was airborne and heading north toward Canada carrying an unconscious Irina Derevko.

On the ground, the leader handed the other man an envelope with fifty thousand dollars in it, payment for three hours work. He took the money and stuck it into his inside coat pocket. “You know where to find me if you need something.” He turned and drove off in the van.

The leader stood for a moment looking up into the sky where the private plane had disappeared.
“Take care of yourself, sweetheart.” Jack removed the bag from his head.

FINI

:love:

:love: Aww.... that was really sweet of Jack!!

I especially love this quote: "She pulled at it for a moment, hoping against hope that by some kind of magic it would come apart. It didn’t. She shrugged and leaned back."

Sounds like a wish from a long-lost childhood. ^_^

YAY!!!!!! I KNEW it!!! they had to appear rough for teh cameras LOL
wondeful ending! hope you write a sequel...jack to canada..i dunno...whatever
it was beautiful
thanks
~maddy

Great ending...loved Jack making sure that Irina didn't go back to prison.:love: I agree that a sequel would be nice down the line....the Bristows in Canada.
Thanks for the PM. :flowers:

AUTHOR’S NOTE: There I was lying in bed having read the entire 6 part “Nearness of You” and I had another flash…what if…ahhh, just what everyone would like to feel…so without further ado…
By the way, these characters belong to JJ Abrams and ABC-TV.
RATING: R

THE NEARNESS OF YOU

Epilogue

Irina jerked awake. She heard something. She blinked, trying to shake herself into an alert status.

“Mrs. Bristow!”

She stared up at a man standing next to her. “What did you call me?”

“Mrs. Bristow. Listen, your husband said I was to awaken you when we crossed the Canadian border and give you this.” He handed her a manila envelope. “He said to tell you your clothes were in a suitcase in the overhead,” he pointed in the direction, “near the door to the loo.” He had a definite English accent. “I have some coffee and sandwiches up front if you’re hungry.”

“Where are we going?”

“London!” He nodded at her. “I have to land in Newfoundland for gas first. We should be there, London I mean, this evening.” He turned and walked back down the short aisle to the cockpit and closed the door.

Irina threw off the blanket and realized she was still wearing the hospital gown and the robe. She walked a bit unsteadily to the rear of the cabin and saw the small suitcase. Opening it, she saw that Jack had packed slacks, black turtleneck sweater, and a short leather jacket as well as underwear, socks and boots. She dressed quickly and going to the small washroom, cleaned her face, put on some lipstick, combed her hair and braided it.

She closed the case and smiled. She had to believe now that it was Jack behind that mask. Even though his voice was muffled by a voice regulator, it was evident it was he who had taken her from the hospital last night. She put the case in an overhead rack, closing the door. Walking up the aisle, she knocked at the cockpit door and entered.

Moments later, she had a steaming hot cup of coffee and a wrapped sandwich in her hands heading back toward her seat and the manila envelope. She pulled out a tray from the window. After opening the sandwich, it was turkey, and placing the coffee beside it on the tray, she opened the envelope, dumping the contents on the seat next to her. There was a set of car keys, drivers’ license with the name Laura Bristow, and a stack of five hundred pound notes, which she estimated to be about ten thousand. Along with those articles was a passport in the name of Laura Bristow with her picture on it. She studied the picture. When had he had time to get an up-to-date picture of her? Then she remembered the picture the CIA had taken of her back at Langley. The license had her date of birth, weight, height, color of eyes and hair, correctly listed.

Irina picked up the coffee and took a sip, and then ate half the sandwich, realizing she had been very hungry. She looked at the final item in the manila envelope; it was a white envelope, whose contents might be several pages. She held it in her hand as if trying to learn what was inside without opening it. That was not going to work. She sighed and tore the envelope open, withdrawing several sheets of paper.

She unfolded them and began reading.

“Dearest,

I am writing this earlier today before meeting a friend and going to the hospital. I am relieving the CIA of your custody and arranging for you to be flown out of the country. The pilot has been paid extremely well and is a friend of mine. He will see to it you arrive safely.

In the envelope are keys to a car, a BMW, with a right hand drive and an up to date driver’s license with all your statistics neatly catalogued. There is a packet of money, which I’m sure you will find handy and a new passport. You have a room reserved under the name of Laura Bristow at the Clarendon Hotel. You can use it or not, depending on the circumstances. My pilot is not landing you at Heathrow, but at a smaller airport outside of London. Since he is a Londoner and flies in and out of this airport, I doubt there will be any questions.

I want you to hide. You are going to be in a great deal of danger once the news of your escape is published and transmitted. If Arvin thinks you betrayed him, he is going to want to take his revenge or, at the very least, make you pay in some way not to either of our liking. Of course, the entire law enforcement world will be after you also. Therefore, Irina, make wise choices. Buy a computer and set up email accounts just for our use and watch in the London Times and Daily Mirror for a personal ad regarding Handel and Mozart.

Now regarding the past two months since Panama…”

Irina felt her stomach twitch and her heart beat increase.

“I have decided that a piece of my heart belongs to you and our past. I hated you for what you did to Sydney and me, but the conversations in the hospital made me realize that for you the reasons were your only option. Given the seriousness of your crimes against the U.S., I think they would have executed you even if you had given yourself up and agreed to be a double agent.

“It was obvious that your government had its suspicions even when they ordered you home. I was not totally convinced when you told us in Kashmir you had been a prisoner, but then you told me you had been raped and tortured. I do apologize for my own part in the Madagascar affair and subsequent events.

“Did you know it was Sydney who saved our lives? Agent Vaughn merely told me to confess or else he’d tell Sydney the truth. She went to bat for us with Senator Douglas telling him a terrible lie. If he had found out the truth, we both would end up in prison. What a family of prisoners we would be.

“I am not sure you have told me everything, in fact, I’m positive of it, knowing your history of manipulative lying. However, I am convinced you were quite able to split yourself into two personalities: one to be a wife and mother and the other to be a spy and assassin. You are, as a result and also in my opinion, a remarkably talented woman. Given your education and talent as a teacher, I know you have as high an IQ as our daughter. Therefore, you are quick with the lie as with everything else you did when we lived together as husband and wife.

“Panama was a revelation. You and I experienced a moment of history. I was surprised by your memory of our marriage and everything we did to give each other fulfillment of our basic need. I will not forget one moment of our night together as I am sure you will not either—including all the circumstances that followed.

“You told me in the hospital that you slept with me in Panama because of the memories of your life in happier times. I then knew that you must have had real feelings for me as I did for you and still do.”

Irina stared out of the window, looking down at the ground below. My God, Jack, she thought, how stupid can I be? She took a swallow of the coffee and finished the sandwich. She looked back down at the letter sitting in her lap.

“I really didn’t tell you about my own needs and how I met them after I pressed you for your own. Of course, I did have desires, urges, drives and I took care of them within the bounds of a field agent’s expertise. I’m sure I do not have to explain. It was interesting to me to hear you say Khasinau was not your lover. I would have thought he was high on your list.”

“No, Jack, never…he was just a bit younger than my father and not at all attractive,” Irina murmured. “Cuvee, however…” She remembered Cuvee’s delight at seeing her again in the Kashmir prison. He had kissed her with all the fervor of an old lover. She, however, was concerned about Jack and Sydney who were chained and prisoners in the cell block. They were her family.

She took up the letter again. “You told me and Sydney that you returned after twenty years because you learned our daughter was a double agent. You indicated you were not happy with outcome of her education…that you had wanted her to grow up, fall in love, get married and have children. That seemed so strange to come from you—given who you are.

“I have thought about what you said and I, at last, agree with you. We have not been the best role models for Sydney. I promise you I will do my best to persuade her from continuing as a field agent, even though she is better at what she does than either you or I. Still your insistence that I help persuade Sydney to quit—get out makes me think you are a better mother than I thought you to be. However, you should know Sydney is as stubborn as you are and if she thinks there is any chance that she can get Sloane, she might stay.

“I know I never answered your question. It was when you asked me if the circumstances were reversed, what would my choice be. I have to be honest, Irina, because if I lived in Russia, married to you, I would not throw myself on your mercy or your government…I would run, just as you did. It’s funny now that I think of it, because when you ‘died’ and I found out your duplicity and betrayal, I was angry that you had not told me everything.

“There are moments when I wish we both could travel back in time to just before we married, before the betrayals, lies, and murders. That you would be so in love with me you would confess what you were going to do. That probably was the only time you would have a chance of staying out of the CIA and FBI clutches. I was so in love with you then I would have done anything, anything for you.”

Irina closed her eyes for a moment. If she had told Jack before their marriage, would she still be alive. If he had turned her into a double agent, what then? She would never have heard about Rambaldi or become so entrenched with the quest or be so involved with Sloane. “Would they put me in prison, Jack?” She thought.

“I don’t know if you remember, but the week we spent in Hawaii, the week that Sydney was conceived was one of the most beautiful and special weeks of our marriage, at least it was for me. The islands were great, and the weather perfect especially that day before we left. That night when we made love during the storm was the joyful end of that perfect day.”

Irina sat still staring out of the window remembering it so well.

They had spent the evening dining in the hotel’s finest restaurant. They had had a lot of wine, but it didn’t matter to either. They had eyes only for each other. Neither one spoke of this being their last day, free from their jobs and the stress of living in L.A. They had walked back to the cabana, hand in hand, each thinking their own thoughts. The wind was blowing hard. It would get worse. A tropical storm was moving toward the islands and weather reports stated there would be torrential rain along with it.

They entered the cabana and Jack took Laura into his arms. “I love you,” he whispered then kissed her. She threw her arms around his neck, her lips parted. They stood together for what seemed like hours. His mouth devoured her roving from lips to jaw to her neck and back again—slowly and hungrily.

“Jack,” she said breaking away. “Let’s make love under the stars out on the sand.”

He looked out the window. The wind was whipping the black water in the bay with ferocious power. The rain was beginning. It was insane, but then they were so in love, why not?

“Okay,” he said. They tore off their clothes and put on the complimentary robes from the hotel. Laura had less to take off, so she was out the door running to the beach before he was finished. He found her watching the heavy rain move toward them.

“Here I am,” she said, turning into him. Taking his face between her hands, she kissed him. He held her tight to him, feeling his erection beginning. He knew she could feel it also, because she sucked his tongue into her mouth, allowing him to thrust it in an out. He heard the moan from deep inside her.

Jack pulled her down onto the sand and tore open her robe. It was raining harder and the wind whipped the nearby palm trees. Kneeling beside her, he gazed at her: the long slim body, the perfect, though small breasts, the dark patch of hair between her thighs.

“Jack,” she whispered, “take off the gorram robe, and show me how much you love me.”

He threw the robe back and moved between her legs. The erection was complete and as ready as she was. He pulled her hips up and entered her hard. She moved in concert with his thrusts crying out as each one led to the next peak. Their bodies were pummeled by the rain and the wind, but it didn’t matter they were locked into a sensuous copulation and nothing would stop them.

Laura felt the orgasm building and as he thrust once again, she exploded, trying to cling to him, but failing because both of them were wet with rain and sweat. She felt him let go with his life giving fluid. He covered her with his body and kissed her.

“We’d better go inside,” he cried in her ear. They ran inside the cabana, nude and dripping water and sand on the floor.

“A shower,” she cried. She ran to the bathroom.

They stood together under the hot water, washing each other with soap and sluicing it off.
They held each other for a short time, and then Jack knew he would have to have her again. He stared into her eyes, breathing heavy.

“Here, again, Laura,” his voice rasped. He picked her up and held her against the wall. She threw her legs around his body and he slowly entered her. The sex was even better than out on the sand.

Irina was jerked back into the present by the sound of the engines slowing. She glanced out the window and saw they were on a downward path. Newfoundland she guessed. She picked up the pages to finish Jack’s letter.

“I meant what I said when I left you. Hide yourself. You are in danger from both the Covenant and Arvin, although they could be the same.

“I will be in touch, if only by email.

“Goodbye, sweetheart and don’t ever come back.”

Irina put the letter back in its envelope. She put the envelope in the larger one. She took the money, license, and passport and placed it in the small attaché case she found in the overhead where she placed the suitcase.

She promised herself she would write him someday.

*** :hug:

A nice surprise..an epilogue. Loved Jack's letter....answered a lot of Irina's questions, loved how concerned Jack was for her safety. Hopefully she will follow his advice and "disappear'---at least for a while.
Are you sure that's the end? :thinking: What about Irina's letter to Jack. :eek:
Thanks for the PM. :flowers:

Aww... that's such a sentimental letter from Jack!! :love: I hope Irina follows his advice to disappear but knowing her, she won't.

I really loved this, Bev!! Splendid, marvelous work!

An intriguing challenge which has begun to perk my imagination...a letter back to Jack...hummm....well, gosh, maybe it will take hold and...we'll see...I'll post you all if and when it's done... ;)

:cool:

AUTHOR’S NOTE: So many of the fans wanted to know what Irina would write back to Jack that I wondered what she would write him myself. I began thinking, thinking, perking and wondering. It did not take me long…
SUMMARY: Sydney was killed burned beyond recognition in her apartment. The only one living is Will who is in the hospital recuperating from a terrible stab wound. It has been a week since the terrible event. Vaughn who has disappeared threw Sydney’s ashes into the ocean. Those who attended the simple funeral have dispersed.
RATED: PG-13

THE NEARNESS OF YOU

Irina’s Letter

Jack sat stonily on his sofa, a large highball glass in his hand, filled with the smoky tasting scotch. He had not moved since yesterday having returned from that terrible scene at the beach—Vaughn throwing Sydney’s ashes into the sea. His daughter, his beautiful, talented, brilliant daughter had been killed by fire in her apartment. Will was barely alive when they found him in the bathtub a deadly knife wound in his belly. He informed them that Francie had done it, only it wasn’t really Sydney’s best friend—it was the double they had been looking for ever since Will had been cleared.

He took another sip. The bottle was almost empty, sitting on the coffee table in front of him. He had another in the cupboard and planned to finish that off too. His grief was palpable to anyone who saw him. Only no one saw him. He had not answered his cell phone or his pager. He was grief-stricken beyond whatever he had thought he could be. The last time he felt this way was the night ‘Laura’ had died in an auto accident.

That night had been terrible for him. The phone call from the police, telling him ‘there had been an accident’ and that his wife was missing. He collapsed into the large chair he called his own. Sydney was asleep by this time. He cried for a long time. The police told him not to come down. The fire department deployed their men down the river to see if her body was retrievable. The second phone call came three hours later. They had not found the body and no doubt it would be found in the harbor soon.

That night it didn’t stop raining. Jack had sat with the scotch in his hand again. He called Arvin, who came over with Emily. They sat with him. Emily held his free hand and he found it comforting. Arvin called the office and informed them of the incident. He left Emily with Jack because the CIA wanted him there. Arvin never told Jack until years later that the FBI had informed the CIA that Laura Bristow was a Russian spy and was responsible for killing eleven agents.

Jack sat back in the sofa. It was only a week ago he had rescued ‘Laura’ from the CIA—only now, her name, true name, was Irina Derevko. She had returned from the dead to enter his and Sydney’s world, to betray them again, and then, to be caught after saving Sydney’s life. She had done it several times while in CIA custody. Panama, he thought, was something he didn’t count on when he set up the trap. She gave him something he thought he’d never have again—her body and soul for one night. Even though he had planted the passive tracker on her, he was amazed at her capacity for that night of love they had together. Neither regretted it for a moment.

Jack glanced at his watch. He’d been sitting here through the night and morning and it was nearly three o’clock in the afternoon. He sighed, stood up, and walked to the kitchen. There was not much to eat, but he managed some bread and peanut butter. At least there would be something on his stomach to sop up the alcohol.

Just as he was about to sit down, he heard a noise outside his door. Then a white envelope slid through the mail slot onto the floor, landing on the mail that had been deposited yesterday after he returned from the beach. He stood for a moment wondering if he should pick it up. Then noticing it was not a bill, bent down. His name was on the envelope and the address, but there was no stamp. He frowned. This was not the usual mail delivery.

Looking at the envelope curiously, he went to the sofa, putting his sandwich down on the coffee table next to the glass and bottle of scotch. He sat down. The envelope felt as though there were several pages inside. He opened it and took out several hand-written sheets of paper. The handwriting was familiar, very familiar.

“My dearest Jack,

“I thought I would write to thank you for what you did. I took your advice. I have new computer and my address is handel4me. I will check every day for messages.

“I used the car to get me to where I am, but it is in the Heathrow parking lot now, Section 4A. The rent is paid up for a month. I enclose parking ticket in case you want to pick it up yourself. You have three more weeks before the car is towed away. I did not go to your Hotel Clarendon, but cancelled the room.

“I do appreciate your kindnesses and considering everything, the generosity toward me seems unrepayable. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the short time we had. I realize our lives have gone in different directions since—since leaving in 1981. As I told you, when I returned to Russia, I was debriefed extensively. I apologize which is, as you may know, not me, but as your wife of ten years, I feel you deserve it. I said what I said because it was what they wanted to hear.

“I knew I had your complete love before we were married. When I was able to steal secrets with impunity I first thought you were a fool, but later, as my own feelings for you grew and when Sydney was born, I was aware of the goodness in you. Russians are known for their love of children, but your love for Sydney and the way you helped every time you were home, made me realize again what a wonderful man you were. I also know that when I--when I betrayed you and Sydney that goodness and love was shattered.

“Jack, for twenty years, I did think about you and Sydney, especially my little girl who was growing up without her mother. I confess I kept track of you and her. There was an agent of mine in Los Angeles whose sole job was to take pictures and to send them to me. I have them all—twenty years worth.”

He put the letter down on the table for a moment. Leaning his head back, Jack closed his eyes. She had pictures of Sydney. He grimaced realizing she did know Sydney was working for Arvin and must have known about her joining the CIA. He frowned, thinking back to what Sydney had reported after speaking to Irina in her cell. She told Sydney she had not told Sark Sydney was a double agent. She had used Sydney; she manipulated her daughter’s need for a mother to realize her own ambition—to own the Rambaldi artifacts. Now she was in hiding from law enforcement officials, the Covenant and Arvin Sloane who knew she’d double-crossed him. Was all that manipulation worth this? He leaned forward and picked up the letter.

“I know, darling, and yes, I did use Sydney to get what I wanted, but that doesn’t mean I do not love her…or you. I knew a long time ago I destroyed any hope of our ever being together again, but that did not mean I did not keep a piece of my heart for you both. No one ever knew about my man in Los Angeles. By the way, don’t bother looking for him. He did his job and I paid for it. I sent him home long before walking in at Langley.

“Langley! What excitement when I told the receptionist who I was and what I wanted.”

Jack snorted. “Two agents appeared within two minutes of the woman’s call to the upstairs. I was handcuffed and led to an elevator. It took the three of us to the floor where DCI, I believe you call him, had his office. I told him I was giving myself up; that I would help the CIA take down The Alliance and Arvin, but would debrief only with Sydney. They threatened me, but I threaten back. It would cost them the war with The Alliance if they did not use the information I had. Finally they agreed.

“They processed me. I laugh when I think about it, because it was easy compared to what we Russians would have done if our position were reversed. They took everything from me even some of my blood. DNA I expect. I am given prison clothes, slip-on shoes, and then they put me in a cell for the night. Next morning I am shackled and put on plane to Burbank.

“Your CIA must think I am so powerful I could arrange for my own escape? Christ Jack, I walked in! Why would I want to be rescued? That is not intelligent. Then when plane lands, they put me in a van: my wrists put in hand cuffs attached to wall and my ankles were shackled to the floor. It’s pouring rain and they take me into CIA/FBI headquarters with many guards as though I would run away.

“I often think you came to see me that night. Did you? I think you did. I would if the situation was reversed. I would come to see you.”

Jack stopped reading for the moment, a little smile played across his face. She was right. He had gone in the early morning, about three, he guessed. He had his first look at his wife after twenty years. She was asleep on a steel bunk. She awoke and moved out into the cell a little and then looked back at him. Irina could not see him, but he saw her and marveled at the beauty she had retained over the years.

“Jack, I beg you to help Sydney leave your agency—your CIA. I want her to be happy and I don’t think she is.

“I—I wish I could tell the future, but neither of us can. You trained our daughter to be one of the deadliest agents working for any government. I see her operate and see her strengths—and her weakness. That weakness could kill her. You do know what I am talking about, don’t you? She has one fault that, I suspect, neither you nor I have… empathy for people in trouble.

“There is great danger ahead for this world. If she becomes involved, she might die. I do not want that for her.”

Jack suddenly sensed Irina was trying to tell him something he should know. She, for some reason, was hesitant to reveal a secret. He held onto the pages as willing them to talk to him.

She then changed direction. “I am sitting alone in this room and I am feeling your arms around me. It will be long time before I forget. Do you remember the night before Sydney broke her leg? I remember we sit before a big fire. We are up in a forest in mountains above Los Angeles?”

Jack remembered that night quite well. They had spent the day hiking an easy trail. Sydney was always trying to see what was around the next curve first. They had to keep her from getting too far ahead of them. Laura had been upset. She was afraid Sydney would hurt herself. Jack had been less worried. Sydney was a normal four-year old and constantly moving, filled with the energy of the very young.

That evening Jack had cooked their meal and Sydney had almost fallen asleep in her pan of beans and bacon. She barely finished her milk before she was fast asleep in Laura’s arms. Jack asked her to put Sydney to bed in the sleeping bag they had bought her while he cleaned up their dishes.

They sat on a large log by the dying embers of their campfire. Jack put his arm around Laura, while smoking his pipe. They didn’t speak for several minutes. The sky was filled with twinkling diamond-like stars. There was no moon. The air was crisp and cold. A slight breeze was rustling through the pine trees adding to the moment.

Laura leaned her head against his shoulder, staring into the red embers. Her hand was caressing his thigh. She could feel the muscle. She liked to touch him. His arm tightened around her.

“We could make love tonight.” Laura turned her head to look up at him.

“We’d wake Sydney.”
“Jack, nothing can wake her.” She stood up, pulling at his arm.

He stood and turned to her, bending his head to take her lips with his. Her mouth opened invitingly. He held her tightly, while his mouth went exploring. In less than five minutes, she was moaning.

“Please Jack…” she whispered. He had opened her shirt and was working toward the left breast. His right hand reached up and pulled her bra strap down, releasing its hold on the breast. His desire was increasing by the minute and he could hear her heart beating harder and faster. His lips reached the nipple. The skin was milky smooth and soft like a baby’s. He bent her back a little, taking the nipple and slowly sucking on it.

Laura moaned, “Jack, darling…” She was pulling at his Pendleton shirt and then her hands unzipped his pants.

“Inside,” he whispered hoarsely.

They entered the tent and both ripped off their clothes. Laura stood naked first. The light from the dying embers barely able to caste any light on her body. There was enough, however, to give her an ethereal quality. Jack bent down and opened their double sleeping bag. He pulled her to him, kissed both breasts while his hands wandered down to the dark patch between her legs lingering there.

Jack shook himself staring into the darkness as he remembered that night. Of course, the next day was one neither would forget, he thought. Jack and Laura were asleep in the sleeping bag when Sydney woke up, dressed, and wandered outside only to jump off a rock down the trail a bit, hit another rock, twisting her ankle and falling, breaking her leg. Her screams brought Jack and Laura out of their sleeping bag. Laura went racing naked down the trail to where Sydney lay crying. Jack took time to pull on his pants. He grabbed a jacket and was only a minute behind Laura. He gave her the jacket while he checked Sydney over. They had gone to the nearest hospital, but only after Laura put on some more clothes.

For a moment, Jack allowed himself a chuckle and then he remembered Sydney was dead…or was she? He frowned, thinking about it. He realized he was still holding Irina’s letter.

“That night was a wonderful one too. I know you are angry, but it was my job, wasn’t it? How many times have you said the same thing to Sydney? I can hear you say it. Why is it so hard to believe the same of me? That I came to love you to care about you was something neither I nor the KGB thought might happen. I did know however that the orders I followed would be punished by death if I was caught. I did not want to die.

“So, dear Jack, I am now in hiding once more. This time there are many people looking for me. You know how to reach me. I miss you. Irina.

Jack sighed. He folded the letter carefully and put it back into its envelope. He would have to put it in his safe as anyone who read it would know where to start looking for Irina Derevko. She would have to know…know about Sydney. He wondered what her reaction would be. If she loved Sydney as she professed, he guessed it would be devastating. He would tell her in person.

Sydney Is Dead, an earlier story I wrote this year would be the follow up to this letter.
You can find it easily below, just copy and paste.
Lenafan

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Serenades/index.php?showtopic=42

Back