The Nemesis system...

F

frostydf2

Very little has been said about the Nemesis system. I belive it is going to work as a villian who randomly spawns to fight you that levels up in abilities, skills, attributes, and other stuff as you do. What are your ideas on it, and what would you like to see done with this system?

I think it would be cool if sometimes the nemesis shows up and doesn't start a fight but tells you he knows about some of your past adventures, successes and failures and then leaves. For example...if your nemesis is a thug, he can appear and say " I know about that dragon you killed, don't think I can't beat you because of that, be ready when I see you next time". Of course what makes that cool is it happened soon after you killed a dragon.

There is one thing that makes me curious. Will other people be able to see your nemesis? Or is gonna be one of the instanced places, only solo only? It'd sorta be cool and strange at the same time to meet up with plenty of people in game, group with them, then start encountering multiple nemesises (nemesi?). I'm curious how it'll work out in a roleplay sense as well. Ex: "Bob: Yeah, so this jerk keeps following me around, making my life difficult *goes on into incoherent mumbling* Jerry: You too? There is always this stalker freak that keeps popping up around me too! Just a bunch of obsessive wierdos I suppose." I guess I just find it wierd that everyone has their own personal arch enemy. If they can find some creative way that makes sense with roleplaying though (which I have faith that Simu, more than any other company, can pull off) I'm all for it :D

I think it's been said that the nemesis system allows a monster that survives it's first fight with you to become your arch nemesis, growing stronger as you do and possibly gaining minions. As for what I would like to see implemented, I think it would be friggin' awsome if you run an instanced boss out of HP, so you think he's dead, but then he pops up later with some sort of deformity from your battle, like a huge scar over one eye, or a missing arm. It would be even cooler if he weren't just some over-powered monster like a giant Ukar or a Sunoc general, but rather a unique character with a personal backstory, perhaps even a counterpart to your character.

For example, say you're a Mistfolk Warrior/Wizard with a white-furred, well-groomed pet wolf named White Lightning and a 10-foot long broadsword with a powerful Holy enchantment on it, supposedly the only weapon of it's kind. One day, an unknown Mistfolk Warrior/Wizard mysteriously appears at the end of what had previously seemed like just another run-of-the-mill quest, then, for reasons you have yet to learn, beats you down with his scraggly black wolf Shadowfire and his 10-foot long, Dark-magic-enchanted broadsword. That's the sort of thing I would love to see, but it's probably too much work for the GMs to model an intricate nemesis like that, write a backstory for him, and orchestrate the multiple intricate quests that would be needed to make full use of him, because they would need to do it for each player. In fact, each GM would probably need to be assigned a specific player to monitor and develop for, and focus entirely on them.

Sorry if my previous post seems kind of out of the blue. I started writing it when there was only one post here! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Azdel@Apr 23 2006, 06:40 AM
I think it's been said that the nemesis system allows a monster that survives it's first fight with you to become your arch nemesis, growing stronger as you do and possibly gaining minions. As for what I would like to see implemented, I think it would be friggin' awsome if you run an instanced boss out of HP, so you think he's dead, but then he pops up later with some sort of deformity from your battle, like a huge scar over one eye, or a missing arm. It would be even cooler if he weren't just some over-powered monster like a giant Ukar or a Sunoc general, but rather a unique character with a personal backstory, perhaps even a counterpart to your character.

For example, say you're a Mistfolk Warrior/Wizard with a white-furred, well-groomed pet wolf named White Lightning and a 10-foot long broadsword with a powerful Holy enchantment on it, supposedly the only weapon of it's kind. One day, an unknown Mistfolk Warrior/Wizard mysteriously appears at the end of what had previously seemed like just another run-of-the-mill quest, then, for reasons you have yet to learn, beats you down with his scraggly black wolf Shadowfire and his 10-foot long, Dark-magic-enchanted broadsword. That's the sort of thing I would love to see, but it's probably too much work for the GMs to model an intricate nemesis like that, write a backstory for him, and orchestrate the multiple intricate quests that would be needed to make full use of him, because they would need to do it for each player. In fact, each GM would probably need to be assigned a specific player to monitor and develop for, and focus entirely on them.
Some of the things you mentioned in that post would be awsome! However, some are un-realistic. They couldn't happen just becuase of the man power it would take. However, I honestly can't wait to see how the nemesis system unfolds into Hero's Journey.

Originally posted by frostydf2+Apr 23 2006, 08:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ Apr 23 2006, 08:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Azdel@Apr 23 2006, 06:40 AM

Some of the things you mentioned in that post would be awsome! However, some are un-realistic. They couldn't happen just becuase of the man power it would take. However, I honestly can't wait to see how the nemesis system unfolds into Hero's Journey. [/b][/quote]
I know it's unrealistic. I actually pointed it out in my post. <_< I was just answering the question of what I would LIKE to see. I figured it was hypothetical.

Awh Azdel I wasn' ttyring to be rude. I was also stating that those were some awsome ideas though as well!

Sorry if I was rude about it, I didn't mean it to come out that way. Sorry :(

In CoH, you would draw certain missions, and part of the mission was that the bad guys would spawn in the city and try to whack you when you weren't expecting it (usually while you were standing around talking to someone or waiting on a tram). That was cool. B)

A nemesis system could be an extrapolation of that. There would be a bad guy who would pop up at various times and try to take you out. Or he might send a group of his helpers.

Maybe we could think of the Nemesis system as another good guy who actually flaws your attempts to save a village, or a person, and saves the person themselves and gets all of hte credit.

Could be a piss off, so I don't know how it could be done to not make it frustrating.

OK, here's my take on a Nemisis...

The "perfect" nemisis, IMHO, would be the dark, shadowy figure occasionally glimpsed out of the corner of your characters eye when your alone or at critical times. More a presence of forboding than an actual threat until you get up in levels.

Upon reaching a first bookmark, he/she/it becomes more of a nuisance, getting you lost, making NPCs give you bad info, setting traps for you that you have a decent chance of avoiding or overcomming.

After a certain point, your nemisis becomes downright dangerous, if not deadly. Setting up ambushes, showing up to attack you when your busy fighting a boss mob, making you "loose" minor items, or causing faction loss with NPCs due to rumors/lies spread about you to your NPC allies.

Of course, you would get rewarded for reversing his efforts, it would be a great fountain of quests and sidebars to go on, the quest for the item he stole from you, trying to regain a good name after he has maligned you, ect, but it should be a major undertaking to try to get rid of him. Having said that, I also believe it should be a choice made by players during character creation, weither to have a nemisis or not, as they can be a great source of RP and quests, but also a major pain in the @$$.

Just my 2 cents

Xhar

Originally posted by Xhar@May 4 2006, 03:31 AM
OK, here's my take on a Nemisis...

The "perfect" nemisis, IMHO, would be the dark, shadowy figure occasionally glimpsed out of the corner of your characters eye when your alone or at critical times. More a presence of forboding than an actual threat until you get up in levels.

Upon reaching a first bookmark, he/she/it becomes more of a nuisance, getting you lost, making NPCs give you bad info, setting traps for you that you have a decent chance of avoiding or overcomming.

After a certain point, your nemisis becomes downright dangerous, if not deadly. Setting up ambushes, showing up to attack you when your busy fighting a boss mob, making you "loose" minor items, or causing faction loss with NPCs due to rumors/lies spread about you to your NPC allies.

Of course, you would get rewarded for reversing his efforts, it would be a great fountain of quests and sidebars to go on, the quest for the item he stole from you, trying to regain a good name after he has maligned you, ect, but it should be a major undertaking to try to get rid of him. Having said that, I also believe it should be a choice made by players during character creation, weither to have a nemisis or not, as they can be a great source of RP and quests, but also a major pain in the @$$.

Just my 2 cents

Xhar
Great ideas, and I love a lot of them. Honestly, Simutronics could do a lot based off the Nemesis system, if not a whole entire expansion to add to the Nemesis system. You could do so much. Just like you said, rumors, lies, theft, traps, ambushes, and of course intimidation.

All of this could be done, and I hope it is done well. The Nemesis system could really make this game HUGE if done correctly. No other game has even had a hint to having it, or even the idea. I want to see what this is to become.

[The] Nemesis System got folded into the Journey System which is folded into our Quest system which has the idea that your character picks of plot points along the way that reoccur throughout the lifetime of his or her quests. A Nemesis is just one of these types of plotpoints. I'll let you guess as to the others :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer

I really hope there's a bit more to it. Say you make the choice to kill some NPC you ran across who wants to be put out of their misery. Well some law-man type tracks some clues to you as if you're the murderer and you have to side quest prove your innocent or take the bastard out so he quits bothering you. Then that'd adjust your alignment.
Or maybe even someone of the opposing sex decides if they can't have you.. NO ONE CAN! LoL
I just hope it helps give a bit of a twist to what seems to be an already static quest system.

I would like to see it so a re-occurring villain shows up time after time, or at least something along those lines. Also, if they made missions as to were you are told to kill a certain NPC, where as another is told to protect it, that kind of PVP interaction could make for interesting turn outs.

frostydf2 said:
Very little has been said about the Nemesis system. I belive it is going to work as a villian who randomly spawns to fight you that levels up in abilities, skills, attributes, and other stuff as you do. What are your ideas on it, and what would you like to see done with this system?

You are not frosty.....but possibly an evil doppelganger.

But good thread nonetheless.

man i would be so pissed if i am about to narrowly pull victory from the clutches of defeat only to have my "nemesis" spawn and one shot me because i have 23 HP. i mean i would probably quit the game level pissed

Back