The Perfect Family

The Perfect Family
The Second Book in the ‘Perfect’ Series

Chapter 1:

~December 20, 2003~

Sydney sat up in bed. She rubbed her eyes and yawned. Her digital clock read 2:47 A.M.

“Why? Why do babies wake up this early just for food?” Sydney thought to herself as she rolled out of bed, and walked to Jennifer’s room.

Almost a month had passed since Sydney had given birth to twins. Jennifer Anne, and William Daniel. The doctors had told her that she wouldn’t be able to look the way she did before she had gotten pregnant in time for the holidays, but they were wrong. Sydney was fitter than ever, even thinner than she had been before.

She grabbed the bottle off the counter and gently lifted Jennifer up from her crib. She stopped crying instantly.

“Jennifer, you really need to stop waking up this early. I know that its normal, but not for me. Especially so near the holidays. If you wake up this early on Christmas, Santa’s not going to come. And believe me, you want Santa to come! He’ll bring you tons of toys for you and your brother.”

She stuck the bottle in her mouth and sat down in the cheery-wood rocking chair in the corner of the room.

After burping Jennifer, and checking her diaper, she laid her down in her crib and left. She fell back asleep almost instantly and dreamt of her husband of nearly a year, Michael Vaughn, who was on a business trip to Ohio and would come home the next day.

Sydney woke up at 8 A.M. and gently woke up William and Jennifer. She changed their diapers and dressed William in a green t-shirt and Jennifer in a red dress and put a bow on her head. Sydney walked to their large kitchen and got out two bottles and started to feed her two children. After they were burped and cleaned, she put them in their carriers and ate her cereal.

Just as Sydney was putting her dish in the stainless steel, Viking dishwasher, the phone rang. She reached over the counter and grabbed it.

“Sydney?” Michael asked.

“Michael! Hi, honey! How are you?” She asked, happy.

“Good. How are you and the twins?” He asked.

“Good. I just miss you.”

“I miss you too. I just wanted to tell you that I’ll be home tonight before 10. I managed to switch flights to get home earlier than planned.”

“That’s wonderful! I can’t wait!”

“Neither can I. Listen, I’ve got to go. They’re calling the final boarding call stuff.”

“Yeah, you better go. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

She hung up and went to do the laundry.

Chapter 2:
Sydney finished putting the newly washed clothes where they belong. She checked up on Jennifer and William who were both taking another nap and ran into the hallway to get the ringing phone.

“Hello?” She asked.

“Hi, Sydney. This is Doctor Blom.” Rachel Blom said.

“Hey! How are you?”

“Good. You?”

“Tired, but still able to function.”

“Good.”

Since meeting Rachel Blom, the two had become fast friends. Rachel had moved back to LA after divorcing her husband, Andrew. She was currently dating Hunter, a scientist dedicated to studying penguins.

“So, how are things with Hunter?” Sydney asked.

“That’s what I called you about. He’s taking me out to dinner tonight. I think he’s gonna propose.”
Sydney smiled. “That’s wonderful!”

“Yeah, problem is, what do I wear?” She asked.

Sydney grinned. “Don’t worry about it. Stop by my house this afternoon. I have some really nice dresses that will fit you and the occasion.”

“You’re a life saver, Sydney. How’s two?”

“Great! Don’t ring the doorbell, just knock on the door. The twins are finally asleep, and I would love it to stay that way.”

“No problem. See you at two then. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Sydney hung up the phone and smiled. She had no idea what would have happened, had Vaughn gone to the debrief instead of saving her. She wouldn’t be sitting here, in a huge house in Los Angeles. She wouldn’t be married, much less happy. Sydney wouldn’t have the large circle of friends that she now had.

On Christmas Eve, they would invite Eric and Christine Weiss, Jack and Irina, Bridgett Vaughn, Rachel and Hunter, Will, Amy, and Will’s new girlfriend, Kirsten. Dixon and his kids, Carrie and Marshall Flinkman. Marshall and Carrie had gotten married also. Sydney had flown the chiefs from their summerhouse in Grand Cayman over the week before. They would prepare the large meal for the Christmas party in less than four days.

Sydney went to her office and got out one of her mother’s leather bound books. She walked back to the living room, sat down, and read until there was a knock on the door.

Sydney smiled, and went to open the door.

“Rachel! Come on in!” She said.

“I can’t thank you enough, Syd. You’re a life saver!” She said.

“You’re welcome. Follow me.”

Sydney led Rachel down the long hallway and into her bedroom, stopping in front of the large walk-in closet. She opened the door.

“Pick anything you want.” Sydney said.

“Are you sure? I mean, do you want to keep certain outfits?” She asked.

“Anything you want, Rachel.”

Rachel walked around the large closet, stopping in front of a pale purple knee-length dress with matching shoes and purse.

“Would you mind if I took this one?” She asked.

“Not at all. If you want, you can even keep it.” She replied.

“I can’t keep this. I know how much this must have cost. You’ll get it back.”

“No! Keep it! I insist! It will be a memory of tonight.” Sydney said.

“Fine, if you insist.” Rachel replied, smiling.

“Good. Do you want something to eat or drink?” She asked.

“Umm, just water.”

“You sure? We’ve got Pepsi, Orange Juice. Nothing to eat?”

“I had lunch on my way over here.”

“Oh, I see. I’ll go get you your water.”

She came back a few minutes later.

“I should get going. I know Michael’s coming home tonight.” Rachel said.

“Ok.”

They walked to the door.

“I’ll see you on Wednesday then. Bye.” Sydney said.

“Wednesday, got it. Thanks so much Sydney!”

She closed the door and went back to the book that she had been reading before.

Five o’clock rolled around, and the twins woke up. Sydney had anticipated this beforehand and had already prepared to bottles. By 5:30, the twins were bathed, dressed, and back asleep. Sydney went to her closet, found a pair of designer jeans and a green sweater. She took a shower and went to the library where her and Michael kept their other books. Sydney reached for a cookbook and walked back to the kitchen. After gathering all of the ingredients for the chicken cordon blu that she decided to make. It was one of Vaughn’s favorites.

After an hour of cooking, frying, and cleaning, everything was ready.
Sydney set the table, and walked the short distance down to the underground wine cellar. She was so glad that she was able to drink wine again after over 9 months of not being able to. Sydney grabbed a bottle of Chateau Margot 1953 and walked back upstairs to the kitchen and stuck it in a wine cooler until they would eat.

At 7:47, Vaughn walked in, wheeling a suitcase behind him.

“Syd, I’m home!” He shouted.

Sydney rushed into the foyer. “Shh! I just got the twins to sleep.” She said.

“Sorry. I missed you so much.” Vaughn said.

“I missed you too.”

He gave her a kiss.

“All I can keep thinking is if we still worked for the CIA. This trip would be nothing compared to all of the other trips. Sometimes three trips or more in one week.” Vaughn said.

“Michael Vaughn, if I ever find out that you’re still working for the CIA, I swear to you, I will leave.” She warned him.

“Ok, it’s a good thing I turned in my resignation form when you did. Otherwise, you’d be a single mom.” He joked.

“That’s not funny!” She said.

“How are the kids?” He asked, still not used to saying it.

“Alright. Jennifer woke me up at two this morning. Will sleeps right through the night.”

“See, I told you us guys are way easier. We just sleep and eat.” He said with a smile.

“Go put your suitcase in the bedroom and I’ll reheat dinner.” She said, walking towards the kitchen.

Five minutes later, the happy couple was sitting down enjoying their wine and meal.

“So, did you win your case?” Sydney asked.

“Yup! We are now almost $150,000 richer.” He said, smiling.

“Like we need more money?” Sydney joked.
“No, but we have to start thinking about the kids college tuition.” Vaughn reminded her.

Sydney nodded. “Hunter took Rachel out for dinner. She thinks he’s going to propose, so I gave her an outfit of mine to wear. She’s so nervous.” Sydney smiled.

“He’s obsessed with penguins. Imagine, spending your whole life studying them.” He said.

Sydney laughed, remembering what Rachel had told her. “Did you know that they met in the sixth grade? She met Andrew that year also. Hunter and her had dated briefly after she had broken up with Andrew.”

“Wow.” Vaughn remarked.

“I hope you like what I got you for Christmas. It’s too late to exchange it now.” Sydney said, worried.

“I’m sure I’ll like it. And if I don’t, it’s the thought that counts.”

Sydney smiled. “I’m thinking of teaching at a local middle school.”

“Syd, we’ve had this conversation before. You don’t need to work. You can stay home all day.”

Sydney shook her head. “Vaughn, I have to go to work. It’s not that I don’t like staying home and taking care of the twins, I love taking care of them. It’s because all my life, since I was 19, I have been working non-stop at SD-6 and the CIA. Now that I haven’t worked in almost a year, I’m going crazy. I don’t know if that’s normal and I just need to adjust to it, or if I’m not stay at home mom material.”

Vaughn smiled a little. “Sydney, you have to break that habit.”

“What habit?” She asked.

“Calling me Vaughn instead of Michael.” He replied.

“I try. I’ve been trying since after the take down.”

“When the twins get older, don’t you think they’re going to ask why you don’t call me Michael?”

“If they’re as smart as you, yeah they will.”

“I can just see it now, they’re at school, and they have to write my name down. Will rights Vaughn Michael instead of Michael Vaughn.”

Sydney laughed.

“It’s true!!” Vaughn protested.

“I know.” She said, yawning.

“You should go to sleep. You’ve been taking care of the kids for over a week nonstop. I am as soon as I finish some reading.” He said.

She nodded and stood up. Vaughn walked her to her room and went to his office. After 15 minutes of reading, he came back to the room. Sydney was making the bed.

They climbed in. Vaughn leaned over. “Good night, Syd.”

“Good night, Vaughn.” She replied, not remembering what they had talked about before.

“Syd!!! You did it again!” He said, half laughing, half a little angry.

“Sorry!”

“It’s ok. Makes me feel more like a hockey player.” He joked.

They laughed.

“Tell you what. Every time I call you Vaughn, I’ll pay you a dollar.”

“That’s not necessary.”

Before she could reply, she fell asleep.

Chapter 3:

Sydney woke up in the middle of the night when the baby monitor went off. A few seconds later, the second baby monitor went off.

“I’ll take Will. You take Jennifer.” Vaughn said, yawning.

Sydney nodded. They walked to the kitchen and prepared two bottles and went their separate ways.

After feeding Will, Vaughn walked back into the bedroom and found Sydney already there, sleeping once again.

Sydney woke up and after checking on the twins, realized that now was her window of opportunity to take a shower. Vaughn wasn’t up yet, the twins were asleep.
She walked quietly into her closet found and her favorite jeans and a sweatshirt. Sydney took a shower and when she came back into her bedroom, Vaughn was already up making breakfast.

Sydney walked up behind him. “Good morning, Vaughn.”

“Good morning, Syd.”

“I owe you a dollar now.” She remarked, remembering her promise to Michael the night before.

“You don’t owe me anything.”

“Thank you for taking care of Will last night. I know that a lot of husbands don’t help out at all.”

“But I’m not like ‘a lot of husbands’.” He said.

“I know. What’s for breakfast, I’m starving?”

“French toast. My mom’s recipe.” He answered.

“Sounds good.”

“Jen woke up while you were in the shower. I fed her and she went back to sleep.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem, they’re my kids too!” He said, smiling.

Vaughn placed the plate of food on the table and sat across from Sydney.

“Michael, about dinner last night. I really want to go back to work. I called the school up and they said that they need a social studies teacher. I’d teacher 6th graders about different countries. God know that I’ve been to them all.”

“You do whatever makes you happy.”

“What do you want me to do?” Sydney asked seriously.

“I’m not going to tell you because I know that you’ll choose what I choose because you think that it will make me happy. You do what you want. Your decision won’t matter to me. Don’t worry about making me unhappy. You and the kids are my life. You and the kids are the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” He stated.

Sydney smiled. “Ok, I guess that I can try it for a little while. I hear 6th graders can be very disrespectful.”

“Just show them your old ID badge. The one from the CIA.” He joked.

“Ha, ha, ha.” Sydney said.

“Only 2 days until Christmas!” Vaughn shouted, excitedly.

“Oh, that reminds me. I’ve got to go and finish wrapping gifts today.”

“Any rooms you want me to stay away from?” He asked.

“Like I’m actually going to tell you?”

“You might.”

“But you want me to tell you, so that you go looking for presents.”

“I’m not trying to play you.” Vaughn said.

“We’ll see.” She said, remembering their first meeting.

Vaughn smiled.

nice job...............you write so nicely............it would be hillarious if one of my teachers had a CIA badge............hahaha

awesome chapter! that was so cute!! ha, that would be SO funny if she showed her students her old CIA badge. please update soon and thanks for the pm!

any one want spoliers for the next few chapters?

Also, in my sig, are links to other stories. check them out too! all of them are alias related except for 24 hour pharamcy.

i am printing that new chapter to take with me to school right now, so I can't comment on it! I am sure it is great just like the other chapters!
when have I ever turned down spoilers??? :D

Lol. Thanks! I'm on spring break till monday. So, look for more updates soon!!

Spoilers:

“We missed the dinner reservation because he took me to the zoo to see the penguins!”

“Michael? Where are you?” Sydney called. Panicking, Vaughn came up with an excuse. Not the best one of all time, but it would have to do.

“I’m over here.” He said.

Sydney came into her office. “What are you doing here?” She asked.

“I was looking for umm, for umm, more envelopes.”

“We already sent out Christmas cards. And I know you can come up with a better excuse than that.”

“I needed to uh, to uh get another highlighter. I’m used my last one up during the plane trip.”

Sydney smiled. “You go through highlighters like how I went through pens when I first came to the CIA.”

Vaughn smiled back, relieved that Sydney took that excuse.

“Can I use your highlighter?” He asked.

“Sure. Pink, blue, or yellow?” She asked, digging through her desk drawer.

“Yellow.” He said.

Sydney handed him the highlighter.

“Thanks, Syd.” He said.

“Michael, I know.”

He froze in his tracks.

“Know what?”

“That you’re working during your only time off.” She said.

Vaughn was relived once more that Sydney hadn’t found out that he was looking for Christmas presents. “She’s getting rusty.” He thought.

“I used to work for the CIA.”

Sydney hesitated on what to put on the last name card. Should she put Irina Derevko or Laura Bristow? She had grown up believing that her mother was Laura Bristow. Only recently did she learn her real name.

She picked up her pen and decided on Laura Bristow. Laura Bristow was her mother, not Irina Derevko. Irina Derevko was the woman that killed many intelligence agents, including William Vaughn.

Sydney put everything away, and went to her closet to see what a beautiful dress Will’s new girlfriend, Kirsten had made for her. Kirsten was a fashion designer. She had met Will while she was studying in Paris. Will went on a trip 3 months before to Paris. Kirsten was born in Houston but had studied in New York City and Paris before becoming a designer.

She had created many of the dresses worn in Hollywood. Every time Joan Rivers interviewed an actress on the red carpet the only name mentioned was Kirsten Holland. It had become a household name in less than a year. Will had quit his job as an analyst and Michael had offered him a job at the law firm. Will refused, and got a job at another newspaper.

Eric and Christine still worked for the CIA and Dixon had recently been promoted to Assistant Director. Jack still worked for the CIA and Irina got a job as Lancôme’s new cover model.

PM List:

vampirgirl
Alias Fan Gillian
aliasbaby101
smiley87
alias4life_4
amisha
uasydvaughngurl
ALIAS4me
Savannah

any one else want a PM? you post a reply, and you automatically get a PM!

Back