Tiered pricing *will not work*

How do you feel about Tiered pricing and the like?

• If it ISN'T in I won't play!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Shadow001 said:
It's been months since I've looked at, but those poll results are interesting. I don't see anyone disagreeing with with the thought that paying more $$ per month for an advantage over others who aren't willing to pay is total bull----; at the same time, Hero's Journey is such a promising game that we're willing to just deal with it.

If the game ever comes out, that is..

:O of course it will come out!

Its funny though I hadnt looked at the resulst for a long time until i read your post...It is pretty interesting ;)

Docmdnite said:
what exactly is tiered pricing?
Where some people pay, say, $15/month to get the basic game while other people might pay 50% or even 100% more and get more features, both in-game and out-of-game... perhaps uber weapons, abilities, customer service that works, etc.

blur said:
Where some people pay, say, $15/month to get the basic game while other people might pay 50% or even 100% more and get more features, both in-game and out-of-game... perhaps uber weapons, abilities, customer service that works, etc.

Yep the high tax payers. If they do this and honestly I don't see why they won't since they have done this with their other products. The benefits for the extra cost is debatable, however if they are worth it to you, then by all means pay the higher cost and have fun.

blur said:

Thank you for your objective analysis.

I think most likely if there is a premium, and if we did (not saying we will!!! it's possible we could sell more items to premium members and then only have a limited number of them for regular subscribers...) release items that only premium members could buy, you wouldn't even know which items they are. They'll be sold to normal players by premies, and unless you're absolutely set on feeling horrible about some silly item, you won't even know it was premie originally.

HJ-Diviana said:
I think most likely if there is a premium, and if we did (not saying we will!!! it's possible we could sell more items to premium members and then only have a limited number of them for regular subscribers...) release items that only premium members could buy, you wouldn't even know which items they are. They'll be sold to normal players by premies, and unless you're absolutely set on feeling horrible about some silly item, you won't even know it was premie originally.
What you say makes perfect and utter sense, Diviana, but I think what you will compete with are perceptions and, as we all know from Psych 101 or even Marketing 101, "perception equals reality" for a lot of people. So just knowing that there are people in the game world who are paying more to, potentially, get ahead of the curve creates a feeling of ill-will amongst gamers. It's something that Simu has to be mindful of and, truly, cannot use its MUD experience as any sort of proof of how it will work in the MMORPG arena.

All I can say is that if you simu guys do give tiered pricing, then make a separate tiered pricing server.

I don' take kindely to dem der tiered pricing type 'round here. MMM HMMM.....

The only reason I dislike tiered pricing is because more than likely, the generic plan people will be missing out on content that would otherwise be available to them. IE, $5 more gets you into another zone. It just seems a little mean to do that. Now if it could be done so it's just like cheaper prices at vendors, in which a advantage is given but content is not restricted, that I have no problem with. Although....

I would gladly pay $10 extra just to get a top hat and walking cane. :D

The sad thing is all the actual Simu developers who hint at a premium server, do not ever hint that the extra cash will give you just fluff.
In reality or whatever position you want to take on the matter. When HJ is finished 5 more years from now they're going to do product testing and they'll see that in general.. They don't have a product that'll appeal to the masses at a much higher cost than their peers.
Unless all premium MMOs hacked up their costs, at this point, it'd be useless for HJ to offer benifits subscriptions. It pays to siphon off the standard if your product is better. Because there's A TON of profit to be made off the competition at this point.

If Simu does have to throw in something in addition to the regular fee, I would hope it would be more divided than the regular/premium/platinum thing they have going on now.

My rationale? I really don't use anything in the Premium account other than the additional type ahead line. Why can't I just pay extra for that feature? Just like how you can buy extra character slots. For that matter, I would be more than happy to shell out cash for content upgrades every few months--I already buy a new game every few months.

The same thing goes for any in-game items that can be had for RL cash. Why not make it so that a person only has to pay a small, one-time fee for that one piece of fluff or that rocking sword* that he really wants without having to pay a full $15-20 more for a bunch of trash he has no intent to use.

* I'd rather not see the pay-for-in-game-bonus sort of thing. I'm more than happy to pay for it; but I don't think I'd feel very much like I've earned it.

Luciro said:
When HJ is finished 5 more years from now they're going to do product testing and they'll see that in general.. They don't have a product that'll appeal to the masses at a much higher cost than their peers.

Not trying to fan flames or hijack this thread. If it were to take another 5 years for this game to come out. The technology will be so out of date that It won't appeal to the slick streamline of the new games that are out. In one of the other posts one of the Developers mentioned (sorry i don't remember your name) that they had a new design tool and they were working on making changes. Once all the changes are made a new and better design tool will be out. Does the game get postponed again?

Will someone want to pay extra for outdated technology?

* I'd rather not see the pay-for-in-game-bonus sort of thing. I'm more than happy to pay for it; but I don't think I'd feel very much like I've earned it.

That would be great. Premium prices in their text games are insanely expensive. What do you get for $39.95 a month? Premium points/month which can be used for enhancements, padding, custom item descriptions which follow their rules etc. However you have to play/pay for many months before they really can be put to good use. (You do have the choice to pay real life money to someone who has been a premium player for years and made the Text Games a profitable hobby/job) A few more "fluff" merchants, a few areas where only premium members can access. Larger Lockers, 15 or 16 character slots. I am sure i missed out on some. Is this worth the cost? You have to decide for yourself.

Gemstone and Dragon Realms have survived Everquest, Wow (and Heros Journey :ducks: ) Folks do pay the extra fees for TEXT. I am sure they will too for Heros Journey even if it becomes out dated.

Peace

Yes they do, but text is a niche field so they get away with it very easily. Meanwhile, it would be suicide, IMHO, thinking you could develop an MMORPG like this for a similar sized audience. And I don't think that's what Simu is thinking; it wants the HJ audience to be big. Bigger than any MUD it currently runs, that goes without saying.

Well, if they're trying to get a big audience, they're doing one bang-up job of it. >_>

Seriously, HJ isn't going to have much of a launch if they don't start getting more word out soon.

Back