Touched by You

Chapter 18

“Just so you know,” Michael began softly as he stroked Sydney’s arm across his chest, “anytime you want to do this instead of going to the mall is fine with me.”

Sydney laughed softly and pulled herself close to him. “Somehow I can imagine it being okay with you.”

“Mmhm,” Michael said before kissing her gently.

Sydney propped her chin up on Michael’s chest so that she could look into his eyes. “Michael, I have to tell you something,” she said. He gave her a curious look. Sydney took a deep breath, readying herself for what she was about to say to him. “I-I love you. I didn’t think it was possible to love someone after only knowing them for a month – not even a month…but I do, I love you, I love you so much…”

After the words left her lips, her breath stood frozen in her chest as Michael was expressionless. The most painfully long moment of her life passed before a smile crossed his face and he admitted, “I love you, too,” before giving her a long kiss and rolling over on top of her. “That’s why you were so freaked out, huh?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said breathlessly, giving him another kiss. “I didn’t want anything to happen to you without you ever knowing how I felt about you…I… I just couldn’t stand that.”

“Well, now I know,” he smiled before lowering his head to place a soft kiss on the tender flesh of her neck. “And I’m very glad too.”

“Good,” she laughed softly. “And also I think… I think you should move in here…”

“Good lord Bristow, what has gotten into you?” Michael laughed as he rolled off of her and sat up on the bed.

“Well, I just… I dunno,” she shrugged slightly, sitting up as well with the sheet tucked around her. “Now that we’ve….,” her voice drifted off with a blush.

“…consummated our physical relationship…,” Michael continued for her.

“Yes, thank you,” she laughed softly. “Anyway, I just don’t want to spend a night apart from you and I figure as long as we’re going crazy we might as well go right to insane, right?”

“Right,” he laughed. “Traditional relationships are overrated, especially when they start so…ghostly,” he said with an eyebrow wiggle.

Sydney laughed. “We seriously need to come up with something else to describe that. You weren’t a ghost; ghosts are dead!”

“Okay, okay,” he sighed as he lay back down on the bed. “How about…spiritual being?”

Sydney wrinkled her nose and shook her head. “Makes you sounds like some sort of religious thing.”

“True…hmm, spirit makes me sound dead as well… how about soul?” he offered. Sydney gave him a look as though she was thinking on that word. “Soul… soul… much better.”

“Definitely,” Sydney agreed before kissing him quickly. She sighed and lay her head down on his chest. “Oh Michael Vaughn, what you do to me…”

“You mean…,” he began, a disgustingly cheeky grin crossing his face.

“No perv, not that,” she rolled her eyes. “What I meant was… when I moved out here not quite three months ago I was done with men. Beyond done with men, in fact. I swore to myself that I wouldn’t even look at a man for six months and then – and only then – would I consider dating again… Now look at me. I’ve already asked a guy to move in with me…”

“So,” Michael began slowly, “are you saying this is a bad thing?”

“Oh no, no, no,” she assured him, “this is very good… I’m just saying that life comes with very unexpected, very good surprises.”

“Good,” he sighed, kissing her sweetly.

They were silent for a few minutes before Sydney asked, “Did you ever wonder why I was the one that was able to see you? I mean, yeah, I know I had your office but…”

“Well, actually I did have a thought on that…when I went in to talk to Mr. Thompson right after I woke up, you know? He reminded me that he’d actually asked if I wanted a partner shortly before my accident. Well, as it turned out, that partner was going to be you…”

“You’re kidding?” Sydney asked in surprise.

“Mm, no,” Michael shook his head. “So then I got to thinking… you know, you had your whole thing with that psychotic boyfriend of yours and then you were planning on moving out here. So what if you did move out here and become my partner – assuming I never had my accident that was. You would have met me that day and BAM!”

“What? Did a couch hit me?” she asked with soft amusement.

“Ha-ha,” he said dryly. “No. Bam you’d be head-over-heels for me and my irresistible charms.”

Sydney snorted. “What charms?”

“Hey,” he prodded her side in offense. “I’ve got my charming moments.”

“This is true…,” Sydney conceded.

Anyway, you would have fallen for me, as I would have for you and we would have… you know, ended up right here, except maybe moved a little more slowly,” he winked down at her.

She laughed softly. “That does sound like a definite possibility… but, even if that would have happened, it still doesn’t explain why I could see you…you think it had to do with your watch?”

“Maybe, but I don’t think so…,” he let his voice drift off. Sydney wrinkled her brow at him, looking for a further explanation. “Well, you saw my soul, right? Well, what if that means we’re soulmates.”

“Soulmates… hmm,” she pondered aloud as she lay on her back in bed. She was silent for a moments before she rolled her head to the side and smiled at him. “I like that explanation.”

“Good, ‘cause I do too,” he smiled at her. Then, he rolled over on top of her and gave her a very long kiss.

~*~

“God, I’m starving,” Sydney groaned as she rubbed her rumbling belly.

“Well,” Michael grinned slyly, “we did use up a lot of energy this afternoon.”

Sydney giggled. “I’m going to go order us some dinner, okay? Chinese?”

“Oo yea, something with pasta,” he told her with a smile. She rolled her eyes and hit him in the face with a pillow (playfully) before getting out of bed.

She returned fifteen minutes later wearing a blue cotton robe with moons and stars all over it. “Dinner will be here in half an hour,” she told him as she sat on the bed, one leg tucked underneath her. “You know what I was thinking we should do? We should watch the sunset tonight.”

“Oh yea, definitely,” Michael smiled. “That’ll be perfectly perfect and romantic. You know what else we should do? Talk about marriage,” he said seriously.

Sydney’s jaw dropped slightly as her heart began to beat a thousand miles an hour. “Are you joking?”

He laughed softly. “Well yeah, I was – I think we should take this a little slower than that,” he winked.

She rolled her eyes and shoved him slightly. “You’re awful.”

“Don’t worry Bristow, it’ll happen someday…if you’re lucky,” he smiled. Sydney shook her head and laughed; he really was awful.

Epilogue

“Mommy, tell me a story,” four-year-old Elizabeth requested as her mother tucked her into bed.

“A story? What kind of story?” Sydney smiled, pulling the soft pink covers up to her daughter’s chin.

“Umm,” Liz though, tapping her tiny finger to her chin for emphasis. “A story about you and daddy!”

“Me and Daddy, hmm?” Sydney repeated. She glanced back at her husband in the doorway and he smiled at her. “What about your daddy and me? How we met?”

“Yeah,” Liz nodded.

“Well,” Sydney began with a soft smile, “when your daddy and I met, he was an angel.”

“A real angel? With wings?!” Liz asked excitedly.

“No, he didn’t have wings,” Sydney told her, “but he was an angel and he needed my help,” Sydney told her. When Liz first began asking questions about her parents, Sydney and Michael had decided on the angel version of their story, knowing that explaining the concept of souls to a three-year-old would have been much more trouble than they could have even imagined.

“Did you help him, Mommy?” Liz asked.

“Of course I did. And then we fell in love and we got married,” Sydney told her.

“And then you had me!” Liz grinned.

“Yes, and then we had you,” Sydney said. She lowered her head and nuzzled her daughter’s nose with hers before kissing her cheek softly. “Goodnight Lizzy. I love you.”

“Love you Mommy! And Daddy!” Liz called to her father.

“Love you too, Angel,” Michael said to her. Then, as Sydney left Liz’s room he put his arm around her and kissed her temple softly. “Remember what we were talking about last night?” he asked softly.

“You mean about trying for another baby?” Sydney asked. Michael nodded before giving her a suggestive eyebrow wiggle. “Slow down there, Mr. Vaughn, you know she’s going to get out of bed and you definitely wouldn’t want her seeing that.”

Michael shivered at the thought. “We should wait until she’s asleep then.”

Sydney winked. “Good plan.”

:smiley: the end :lol:
thanks for reading everyone :hug:
tomorrow is The Hardest Thing so i'll see you guys then

that was freakin adorable
i love their daughter
oh and most of us were right
they did the nasty nasty
haha so great
i love that they knew right on that they were soulmates
love ur stuff janet!

Aww... cute ending. I loved the idea of Vaughn's soul still hanging around, instead of him being a ghost. :smiley:

Great story. Can't wait for the new one!

Telling Elisabeth that mummy met daddy when he was an angel was very sweet! It fits perfectly...

“Remember what we were talking about last night?” he asked softly.

“You mean about trying for another baby?” Sydney asked. Michael nodded before giving her a suggestive eyebrow wiggle. “Slow down there, Mr. Vaughn, you know she’s going to get out of bed and you definitely wouldn’t want her seeing that.”

Michael shivered at the thought. “We should wait until she’s asleep then.”

Sydney winked. “Good plan.”

:lol: And what exactly where you refering to when you said that?????? :lol: :angelic:

Sorry, been writing dirty stuff all afternoon :angelic: Hey, you're not longer the innocent Janet I met what??? two, three years ago??? :lol: :lol:

Ok, I better :bag:

This story was great! And tomorrow another...new one... woozaa... I know I say it every time but do you truly ever get tired of it????? :woot: :rolleyes:

:hug: your crazy cookums

awwww how cute!!! I just LOVE happy endings!!! *sigh* I want Michael Vaughn to appear infront of me and I have to save him! WHY CAN'T THAT HAPPEN TO ME???? WHY???? Anyways.....loved it! Too cute!

Sorry, been writing dirty stuff all afternoon :angelic: Hey, you're not longer the innocent Janet I met what??? two, three years ago??? :lol: :lol:
um, no, no i'm really not... i think in one of my first fics i was apoligizing for writing a kiss, which apparently, in my mind was too risque.... *sigh* thats just sad :lol:

awwww how cute!!! I just LOVE happy endings!!! *sigh* I want Michael Vaughn to appear infront of me and I have to save him! WHY CAN'T THAT HAPPEN TO ME???? WHY???? Anyways.....loved it! Too cute!
i ask myself that daily...

Sydney and Michael were more truthful telling thier daughter how they met than they were to friends (except Eric of course). And naturally, a child wouldn't thing the story was something that sounds insane.

Chris

Back