Two Questions...

I think that tradition is also a big thing that should be considered in some cases, such as the all male military academy. What's stopping the Women from having their own?

btvaughn said:
Aliasgirl47 said:
it is hypocritical, so all my felllow women, don't complain about inequality and felgercarb b/c if you want it that bad, you can always go off to war too...
Hang on a sec...there are plenty of women more than ready to go off to a war. It's coming out to sound like everyone is complaing. Yes I believe we have equality but more of a way to go.
no not everyone, sorry let me clear that up. most of the ppl i have debated this with would rather not go, yet they want equality. there are tons of woman willingly going and to me, they should get more respect than anyone

AliasHombre said:
Aliasgirl47 said:
crazy spinster said:
so what do you guys think about letting women into the citadel (at least that's what i think it was called?) - the all male military academy?
well, if the women have an all female acadamy where no guys are let in, it seems pretty equal...
Thats segregation.....remember "seperate but equal" not reaqlly equal though
Wait a sec....are you saying all women colleges are segregation?

No, you were saying that the seperate colleges were equal b/c each gender had one. I was saying that thats not a good idea becasue of this countries history with having seperate facilities for different people.

wowie i just noticed this thread and omg hitler.... that's just scary..... um FDR CHAIN SMOKED AND DID ALL THOSE THINGS?? well for hitler THAT'S NOT FAIR!!! LOL!!! NOTHING ABOUT THAT DESCRIPTION SAID ANYTHING ABOUT KILLING 11 million people!!!!

btvaughn said:
I agree...there needs to be more women interested in political office. I think opinions tend to get biased with mainly men.
But i don't hink this country is ready to have a major swing in the number of women holding political ofice. There neds to be gradual change over a long time.

AliasHombre said:
No, you were saying that the seperate colleges were equal b/c each gender had one.  I was saying that thats not a good idea becasue of this countries history with having seperate facilities for different people.
Ok...I definitely don't think getting rid of one sex schools is the answer. THe point is not going for segregation...or maybe I'm just hearing you wrong. And I'm not sure if I would compare the different facilities to something like the 60's. It's kind of the idea of Plessy vs. Ferguson...

AliasHombre said:
btvaughn said:
I agree...there needs to be more women interested in political office.  I think opinions tend to get biased with mainly men.
But i don't hink this country is ready to have a major swing in the number of women holding political ofice. There neds to be gradual change over a long time.
he's right, if it was all at once, it would be like coming in and pulling a rug right out from under everyone's feet

Although I'd rather not have that happen, I agree that it will remain that way for quite a while. And I do think having women in office should happen over time. I'm not sure how quickly it would occur...and I don't think it should happen fast. We've had problems in the past with presidents and such.

AliasHombre said:
I think that is happeneing now and will continue. But i don't think women will ever have the same power men have.
unfortunately, it's probably true. we have had thousands of years of men dominating everything and people are so opinionated and set in their ways and so many countries are so far behind us in the case equality amongst the genders, that it will probably never happen...

AliasHombre said:
No, you were saying that the seperate colleges were equal b/c each gender had one. I was saying that thats not a good idea becasue of this countries history with having seperate facilities for different people.
I have found, going to an al girls school myself, that the boys from an all boys school don't seem to have the same type of respect for women's abilities, they seem to think that they are the dominant ones and we, although we are a lot more voiced in our opinions and are seen as very smart and capable, are still not quite up to their standard

well, gender segregation gets interesting when you talk about it in regards to education. there have been studies done that have shown that most teachers (even female teachers) are biased towards male students - especially in the area of math. so the solution to that would seem to be segregating classes, and maybe even schools, by gender.

but then again, just to be devil's advocate - that sort of conflicts with letting women into all-male military academies since women are (obviously) biologically different than men and have a disadvantage when it comes to physical strength.

maybe the problem here is making "absolute" statements. that everything should either be integrated or segregated even though every situation is different.

I'm not so sure...I believe it is possible that we might see a female president. There have been many women's rights movements lately...and i wouldn't discount it.

Back