Politics U.S. planning for possible attack on Iran

:lol: :sideroll: I'm sorry, I have to laugh!!! I googled SSS, and found sss.gov, and on their FRONT PAGE in plain view was this notice:

On October 5, 2004, the House of Representatives voted 402 - 2 to defeat H.R. 163, the bill cited as proof that the Selective Service was preparing to reinstate a military draft. The vote made official what has been a reality since January 7, 2003, when H.R. 163 was introduced despite nearly total opposition in Congress to restoring the draft. Without Congressional support, the draft cannot be reinstated. A similar bill languishes in the Senate.

And that similar bill that "languishes in the Senate" will be shot down as well. :sideroll:
Selective Service System - It’s Your Country. Protect it.

lol I kept up with that right before elections when everyone was all saying bush would reinstate the draft but kerry wouldn't...

i don think either candidate is more likely to do so than the other...its not really up to them...but it would reflect on their actions. :rolleyes: *cough* iraq *cough*

Reinstating the draft now would be political suicide...that's what i hear everywhere. But considering everythings in terms of national security...

I'd just like to see how the military would deal with a bunch of unhappy draftees though..lol...draft seems impossible...and yet....

oh and during one of bush's speech pre election...he messed up saying something along the lines of the nation not having a volunteer army...he then realized he messed up and corrected himself saying we will have an all volunteer army haha...did he really mess up? hmm....

Errr who put Sadam in power in the firstplace, and who sold him the the WMD's in the 80's , the good old USA. And as for Iran , well the US will be on its own in that fight i can guarantee that. And that WILL break the US economy.

SecretAgentMan said:
More peaceful than it is RIGHT NOW.
[post="1166656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You can live in that world of misinformation, but just remember, you may think tis worse off, but you are not getting the whole story from the media.

facade47 said:
:lol: :sideroll:  I'm sorry, I have to laugh!!!  I googled SSS, and found sss.gov, and on their FRONT PAGE in plain view was this notice:
And that similar bill that "languishes in the Senate" will be shot down as well.  :sideroll:
Selective Service System - It’s Your Country. Protect it.
[post="1166399"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

wow, typical american. believing everything the media tells you...

the vote for HR 163 was to suspend the rules and pass the bill and THAT motion failed. read the fine print: the bill was tabled (aka NOT defeated)

S 89 has been sent to a subcommittee (just like HR 163 was) and with HR 163, the House discussed and voted within a 6-day period! the same thing can happen to S 89.

here's the lovely part:
it only takes the majority of the Senators present (not the majority of all the senators) during the voting to pass the bill. the bill then goes to the House where the same thing happens. it's only a matter of time before the reserves are depleted. then the bill goes to the President. now W has three options, he can:
1) sign the bill (political suicide),
2) leave the bill alone for 10 days (the bill automatically passes itself), or
3) veto the bill

in the third case, the bill goes back to the Senate where only 2/3 of the senators present (not 2/3 of all senators) are needed to overturn the President's veto. this way, Bush doesn't lose face but still gets the troops he needs in whatever country he's invading at the time.

simple as that. laugh all you want, but Kerry or Bush would have brought back the draft. that means 18-26 year old males and females must enlist!

To those who are saying that the situation in Iraq currently is better than that under Saddam's reign, I suggest you look at these pictures.

*WARNING: Graphic Images*

The story:

US soldiers in Iraq approach a car after opening fire when it failed to stop at a checkpoint. Despite warning shots it continued to drive towards their dusk patrol in Tal Afar on 18 January. Inside the car were an Iraqi family of seven. The mother and father were killed but their five children in the backseat survived, one with a non-life threatening wound.

As the children get out of the car one of them screams, her hands covered in blood...PHOTO

…others cry or just stand bewildered. Photo

The injured child is given first-aid by a US soldier...PHOTO

...as is his sister...before being taken to a local hospital ...with the rest of his family.

A soldier carries one of the children into the hospital while an older sister carries her brother.
________________________________________________--
At the checkpoint a US soldier examines the car.

A US military statement said troops trying to stop the car used hand signals and fired warning shots before firing directly at the car, killing the driver and front seat passenger.Photo

Two seperate incidents, bloody, but not uncommon - something that would happen every day by anybody who toes the line set by the US.

Abuse Photos

The soldier identified as Lance Corporal Mark Cooley aims a simulated punch at an Iraqi detainee bound from the waist up in blue netting. Photo

Two naked Iraqis (presumedly forced to) simulate a sex act while giving the 'thumbs up' sign to the camera. Photo

A soldier aims a simulated kick at a bound detainee on the floor, his head near a puddle of water. Photo

L/Cpl Darren Larkin stands on an Iraqi, with one foot on his leg and another near his shoulder. Photo

That is what makes me sick about all of this. This would NOT be happening if the US didn't 'Liberate' their country without consent.

CREDIT: BBC.CO.UK

i knew they were going to threaten iran eventually. big. stupid. idea. if this is his way of uniting our country, he better start reading the newspapers (he announced that he doesn't, but he reeeeaaaalllly should. the [expletive deleted] )

someone explain to bushy that the age of imperialism is OVER

Ohh this is not about imperialism. It's about bush going against the muslims..

That wins the prize for the most stupid thing i've heard to day. Nobody wants to get rid of Islam.

Implied by your comment is that Bush is either Islamphobic or racist and i'm sure he is neither.

I don't see the problem. Yes we probably shouldn't invade other countries but you seem to be missing the point. We're not invading countries like France or South Africa or India with democratically elected stabe governments Iran is a brutal religous regime. They've just re-issued the Fatwa for Saldam Rushdie.

The Times Ayatollah revives Fatwa on Rushdie.

So let me ask you this, if you lived in a country with no representation for women and an a forced religion and a secret police would you want to stay there?

and as a Britain, despite the horrible pictures displayed this week, I'm still immensely proud of our armed forces. All of the perpatrators are being court martialled and that is an end to the issue. Its probably a hang up for Northern Ireland. Thats when we learnt to keep the peace.

I've said it before and I will carry on saying it till I'm blue in the face, these aren't the real problems. I wish Bush was more bellicose and invaded more countries. Cos there are some that need it.

noggi16 said:
I don't see the problem. Yes we probably shouldn't invade other countries but you seem to be missing the point. We're not invading countries like France or South Africa or India with democratically elected stabe governments Iran is a brutal religous regime.
[post="1168816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

We shouldn't be invading countries just to turn them into a democracy. Especially if they've established some form of rule already. I'll bet there isn't a nation in the world that hasn't done something horrible at some point in time. Some just manage to conceal it better than others. And not every nation grows at the same rate. Some need time to do that, and to learn from there mistakes. They shouldn't be forced into a system they're possibly not ready for.

noggi16 said:
So let me ask you this, if you lived in a country with no representation for women and an a forced religion and a secret police would you want to stay there?

If you don't, then leave. Or learn to deal with it. As that common saying goes, when the enemy hands you lemons, make lemonade. No matter where you are, there will always be conflict. And with each conflict, there are two solid choices: run or deal with it.

If you're going to get help, then you will.

noggi16 said:
I've said it before and I will carry on saying it till I'm blue in the face, these aren't the real problems. I wish Bush was more bellicose and invaded more countries. Cos there are some that need it.

Sovereign nations don't need this. The American people don't need this.

facade47 said:
You're both wrong.  It's about liberating a nation from its oppressors. 
If I believed everything the media told me, I WOULD be against the war... :lol:
I'm certain more than two-thirds of the Senate would be AGAINST the draft, Repub. or Dem. ...
[post="1169634"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

liberating a nation from its oppressors? what do you think Hitler told the German people?

the media is NOT against the war because it's not "liberal". well, it is if you compare it to FOX News, which stretches the truth to satisfy people who can't believe anything except fascist propaganda.

a. who says that more than 2/3 of senators are against the draft. we went in and we cant leave until we finish the job. there's nobody willing to finish the job, so we must draft.

b. only over 2/3 of the senators PRESENT for the vote have to be for the bill, not 2/3 of ALL senators

but what can we do about Bush now? he's in office, and we have to accept that fact...that's funny, now that i think about it. the time from Nov. 3-Jan. 19 was the calm before the storm. Bush will unleash his power and the educated people in this nation will do everything to oppose his selfish/violent agenda.

the_alliance said:
b. only over 2/3 of the senators PRESENT for the vote have to be for the bill, not 2/3 of ALL senators

[post="1169667"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i guarantee you that in the case of a possible presidential override, no senator will be absent. he or she may miss minor votes, but a presidential veto doesn't happen everyday.

taken from U.S. Senate: 404 Error Page:
Voting is among the most important public acts of individual Senators. For example, Senators recognize that their decisions often need to be explained to constituents who are interested in knowing why lawmakers voted as they did on various measures or matters.  Party leaders, too, understand the importance of voting, for they often try to schedulevotes during a time when they believe they can win senatorial support for their objectives.That Senators try never to miss votes is reflected in the high percentage of rollcall votes that they cast. On all recorded votes taken in the chamber, Senators, on average, cast votes over 95 percent of the time.
senators will be definitely be present for important things like the possibility of reinstating the draft. let's not be hysterical.

My Folks were forced to leave 'cause of the Gulf War....they still believe the quality of life they had there was the very best. They were not forced into any religion, they in fact, lived in a family that followed a branch of Christianity, and it was respected.

the_alliance said:
as of November 2004, the SSS (draft people) said that by March 31, 2005, all local draft boards must be ready.

as of January 1, 2005, the SSS began thorough checking to make sure that all male citizens of the US between the ages of 18-26 are registered for the military.

what that means, i don't know, but THIS THURSDAY, please tell all your friends to tie a white cloth around their arms to stand in solidarity for peace.
[post="1166256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

lovely. it's my birthday (03/31). &what exactly does the 'all local draft boards must be ready' thing mean?

--jenn :juggle:

My Folks were forced to leave 'cause of the Gulf War....they still believe the quality of life they had there was the very best. They were not forced into any religion, they in fact, lived in a family that followed a branch of Christianity, and it was respected.

I was referring to Iran

We shouldn't be invading countries just to turn them into a democracy. Especially if they've established some form of rule already.

So does this mean that all forms of government are equal? obviously not. Domecracy is a more desirable system than anyother. Or do some people only deserve to live in a dictatorship? I would have thought that was a given but maybe I'm mistaken.

And not every nation grows at the same rate. Some need time to do that, and to learn from there mistakes. They shouldn't be forced into a system they're possibly not ready for

But this isn't some hicksville backward country. It has an educated, obviously resilent population. Rather condercending to say they are not ready for democracy. Mesopotamia and Babaloynia were the cradles of civilisation. They have been for centuries. Don't say there not ready for democracy cos these countries are Ancient.

I
If you don't, then leave. Or learn to deal with it. As that common saying goes, when the enemy hands you lemons, make lemonade. No matter where you are, there will always be conflict. And with each conflict, there are two solid choices: run or deal with it.

I'm sure lots of people would. But where would you like them to go? Could they immigrate to America? You have lots of space. or deal with it? like its that simple? deal with it and end up with a bullet in the back of your skull.

Sovereign nations don't need this. The American people don't need this
that maybe the case. but which soverign nations are we talking about. States that haven't had fair elections for 30 years or Burma which is run by a military law. Thomas Aquinas said an immoral law is not a law at all. its not that big of a stretch to say a government ruling without the consent of the people is not a sovereign government. And us Brits don't need it either but we spend a lot of time and effort on Africa and devolping nations because we have a duty to.

Moonlite Star said:
We shouldn't be invading countries just to turn them into a democracy. Especially if they've established some form of rule already. I'll bet there isn't a nation in the world that hasn't done something horrible at some point in time. Some just manage to conceal it better than others. And not every nation grows at the same rate. Some need time to do that, and to learn from there mistakes. They shouldn't be forced into a system they're possibly not ready for.
i notice that it's very easy to say this when you're sitting at home in front of a computer in a democratic country. you have your rights firmly intact.
just to second what noggi said...do you really think people choose to stay in a country under tyrannical rule? of course not. they have no means of leaving. they're trapped there either through lack of financial means to leave or they're legally barrred from leaving the country.

to noggi16 and facade47: i think the fact that the democracies of the world do very little about human rights is atrocious. however, Iraq was never about freeing the people, and neither is Iran. if it was, don't you think Bush would be screaming about Saudi Arabia where women are oppressed, public executions are frequent, and there is no freedom of speech or democratic rule? this war-like attitude that Bush has is not just about spreading freedom.

VaughnFan13 said:
lovely. it's my birthday (03/31). &what exactly does the 'all local draft boards must be ready' thing mean?

--jenn :juggle:
[post="1169877"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
that means they have to be set up, have people working the boards, and be ready to accept draftees if the draft is reinstated.

noggi16 said:
So does this mean that all forms of government are equal? obviously not. Domecracy is a more desirable system than anyother. Or do some people only deserve to live in a dictatorship? I would have thought that was a given but maybe I'm mistaken.
[post="1171459"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I wasn't trying to say that people deserve to live in a dictatorship, but how can we be sure democracy is the more desirable system? Why not another system? We bring them democracy because that is what works for us. But what if it doesn't for them? Would we have really made things better?

But this isn't some hicksville backward country. It has an educated, obviously resilent population. Rather condercending to say they are not ready for democracy. Mesopotamia and Babaloynia were the cradles of civilisation. They have been for centuries. Don't say there not ready for democracy cos these countries are Ancient.

I wasn't implying they were ancient either. Some countries have a very distinct population with certain beliefs. Some countries have two groups that share different beliefs and may at times conflict. Consequently, not everything can be easily worked out and in the end, not everyone will get what they want. Despite the many that suggest religion and government should not mix, such an occurence seems inevitable. Perhaps Iraq is ready for a democracy. We have yet to see that.

I'm sure lots of people would. But where would you like them to go? Could they immigrate to America? You have lots of space. or deal with it? like its that simple? deal with it and end up with a bullet in the back of your skull.

Of course its not easy. But if you're determined, you'll find a way. If you have patience, you'll make it. And if you're destined to receive help, you will.

that maybe the case. but which soverign nations are we talking about. States that haven't had fair elections for 30 years or Burma which is run by a military law. Thomas Aquinas said an immoral law is not a law at all. its not that big of a stretch to say a government ruling without the consent of the people is not a sovereign government. And us Brits don't need it either but we spend a lot of time and effort on Africa and devolping nations because we have a duty to.

Then what made Iraq (and possibly Iran) so special if there are a handful of nations run in a similar manner? They kept their country running up until we interferred.

xdancer said:
i notice that it's very easy to say this when you're sitting at home in front of a computer in a democratic country.  you have your rights firmly intact.

I'm just stating what I believe. It's not like I can do anything about it. Doubt it would make much of a difference if I hadn't said it at all, which is of course what some people face. Of course...there'd probably be a bit less of an uproar...heh

:blush:

but what can i say? :angelic:

just to second what noggi said...do you really think people choose to stay in a country under tyrannical rule?  of course not.  they have no means of leaving.  they're trapped there either through lack of financial means to leave or they're legally barrred from leaving the country.

again, perhaps you'll be lucky. consider the invasion luck?

to add in somthing i had forgotten to add in my previous post:

my beliefs are the way they are because I believe that your destiny has already been written in the stars; that your future is already made out for you. if you're meant for a hard life, then you're meant for a hard life. If you're not, someone will help you along the way. Perhaps thats just what the invasion was for. But then again, that all depends on how things turn out. Only time will tell.

Back