Politics Vigilante Border Protrol

Spike said:
Is it a problem? For sure, but vigilante rednecks carrying around rifles isn't the solution. This is the federal government's responsibility and right now the Republicans are in power. They're your party AliasHombre, if anyone's to blame for the lack of action in fixing this problem it's the Republicans. Bush touts his role as the "protector of America" but you can see yourself this is clearly not the case. Borders are left wide open and 3/4 of the containers that enter Long Beach Harbor (2nd largest harbor in the world) are not checked. These vigilantes are trying to do what they perceive is right, I'll give them that, but the problem is much larger than just the border situation and what they're doing is not helping solve the problem.
[post="1294570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Amen to that (y)

The problem with any disscussion about immigration is it comes down to race. Most people are incapable of having a rational disscusion about it. As Trevor Philps who is the head of the Commission for Racial Equality pointed out, every time a major poltican talks about immigration, attacks against ethnic minorites go up.

rach

noggi16 said:
The problem with any disscussion about immigration is it comes down to race. Most people are incapable of having a rational disscusion about it. As Trevor Philps who is the head of the Commission for Racial Equality pointed out, every time a major poltican talks about immigration, attacks against ethnic minorites go up.

rach
[post="1298518"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't think it has to be about race...at least for me. If we had people coming over the border in masses illegally from Canada, I would still view it as a problem.

Not one that needed to be stifled by vigilantes...but still a problem never the less.

Spike said:
They're your party AliasHombre, if anyone's to blame for the lack of action in fixing this problem it's the Republicans.
[post="1294570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
So this has been a problem since 2001 right? If its just Bush's fault....the truth is, its our problem, and neither the Bush or Clinton administration have done anything substancial to fix it.

Anyone can walk into this country, be it a terrorist, a criminal, or someone looking to suck what they can out of the system.

If you don't see how letting in possible terrorists in the country is a problem then i pity you.

But didn't the 9/11 terrorists come into the country legally?

I don't see how a bunch of guys with guns in Arizona are going to help in that situation.

ms.katejones said:
But didn't the 9/11 terrorists come into the country legally?

I don't see how a bunch of guys with guns in Arizona are going to help in that situation.
[post="1299827"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Borders
The first lines of defense against terrorism are the country's borders and shores. But the U.S.'s perimeter is long and porous. The government still lacks a system for determining whether immigrants who enter legally overstay their visas, as two 9/11 hijackers did. The Immigration and Naturalization Service's new budget request includes money to hire 570 more border-patrol agents by next year, but experts think the U.S. needs to add at least twice that number. The border-security act that Bush signed last week aims to modernize the country's system of tracking those who want to enter the country. The INS has more than a dozen computer programs for processing visas and green-card applications; it should have just one.

Security experts warn that terrorist groups could use container ships to sneak explosives, weapons of mass destruction and even operatives into the U.S. Since 9/11, Coast Guard officers have boarded 10,000 vessels; in the nine months before 9/11, they boarded just 200. But the U.S. still inspects only 2% of incoming seaborne cargo.

^Taken from a Time Magazine article.

So yes, they did enter legally at first...but 2 overstayed their visas, with no consequences from our government.

And I agree a bunch of vigilantes along the Mexican border is not the way to solve this problem.

If you don't see how letting in possible terrorists in the country is a problem then i pity you.

And if you don't see the massive benefits that immigrants bring to America or any country than I pity you. America wouldn't be the country it is today with out immigration.

In fact aren't nearly all Americans with the exception of indeginous people immigrants?

There are masses of famous people who have brought so much to America. Irving Berlin springs to mind, the guiy wrote God Bless America, he was given a congressional medal but he was born in Russia. Frank Capra, Einstien, Madeleine Albright, Henry Kissinger,Mikhail Baryshnikov,Sidney Poitier, Gloria Estefan, Frank McCourt, Martina Navratilova, Sammy Sosa, Michael Folds are all immigrants.

Immigrantion has made America a rich diverse country, constanting tightening of the boarders, will make America poorer not better.

These people have all made something of themselves and done so much for America to sterotype all immigrants as low educated, criminal terrorists is wrong.

Sure the man who has just been sentenced in Britain for a terrorist plot was Algerian and an illegal immigrant but your at just as much risk for the terror within as you well know after bombings in Atlanta and Oklahoma and we know after the IRA. Stopping immigration doesn't stop terror, stopping unfair trade and half or more than half of the world living in poverty stops terror.

I would defend America's right to close its boarders or use its buying power to further itself at the expense of others or have mass tourism but I will not then defend it from the risk that brings because there is no success without risk and you have to choose.

I'm all for immigration. My grandfather's parents came here from Czechoslovokia, his wife, my grandma's parents were German and came to America from Germany. My other grandfather was from Ireland and his wife, my grandmother, is from Canada. My uncle's wife is Norwegian, and has gotten duel citizenship. So trust me I'm definitely for immigration. My family has a very rich history because of immigration. But on the same hand, all of them entered this country legally and went through the right channels to get their citizenship.

My sister's ex-boyfriend's family is from Trinidad, he was born there and lived there until he was 10. His family immigrated here...but they did exactly what they need to do to be 'legal'.

Maybe we need to make it easier for them to become legal or give them easier access to the paper work and things that they need to fill out. I definitely think the money could be better spent, and not have these vigilantes.

But honestly, I do think something needs to be done.

Thats exactly it. Easy access to legal immigration would obviously stop illegal immigration and all the gripes about "they don't pay tax" and blah blah would stop.

noggi16 said:
Thats exactly it. Easy access to legal immigration would obviously stop illegal immigration and all the gripes about "they don't pay tax" and blah blah would stop.
[post="1301496"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And that is all I've been trying to say. If were able to give them easy access, then we wouldn't have to worry about it. And it would be safer for them too, especially with these vigilantes running around.

noggi16 said:
And if you don't see the massive benefits that immigrants bring to America or any country than I pity you. America wouldn't be the country it is today with out immigration.

In fact aren't nearly all Americans with the exception of indeginous people immigrants?

[post="1301102"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
American wouldnt be a country at all without legal immigrants. Theres a big difference between illegals and legals.

no there isn't. It is an artifical difference. Its there so you can say you support immigration and then penalise people because they don't fill in the right forms.

What you need to do is make it easy to become legal, no illegal immigration and plenty of tax.

noggi16 said:
no there isn't. It is an artifical difference. Its there so you can say you support immigration and then penalise people because they don't fill in the right forms.

What you need to do is make it easy to become legal, no illegal immigration and plenty of tax.
[post="1301761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

We can't let just anyone into our country. For one thing, there's the issue of jobs and for another it just isn't safe. By screening people we can at least try to keep terrorists from getting, although admittedly the system is flawed. But an open border would be a security nightmare.

noggi16 said:

[post="1301761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
We make them fill in the forms for the same reason we have checks for people trying to buy guns: So we know who they are, where they are from, if they have a criminal background, and if they have a likelyhood of causing harm in the future.

Bottom line is that illegals essentially steal from this country through the education system, or benefits, or as far as the imagination can reach. They have the priveledge to enter this country, but they have to go through the proper channels.

We can't let just anyone into our country. For one thing, there's the issue of jobs and for another it just isn't safe. By screening people we can at least try to keep terrorists from getting, although admittedly the system is flawed. But an open border would be a security nightmare.

Well maybe if massively subsidised US products weren't dumped on these countries destroying there industries they'd have some jobs there. Your economic policies abroad contibute to the problem.

And weren't two of the most high profile terrorist attacks in the last 15 years committed by Americans? at Oklahoma and Atlanta. And all the school shootings weren't they American too? And you said yourself most of the September 11th highjackers were in the country legally so short of closing your boarders and banning all tourism, its a risk your going to have to live with.

We make them fill in the forms for the same reason we have checks for people trying to buy guns: So we know who they are, where they are from, if they have a criminal background, and if they have a likelyhood of causing harm in the future.

So what if the immigrant is one of the millions of people in the world that were never registered at birth so offically don't exist? or from a country like Somilia where there is no civil structures at all? How are you going to see if they've got a criminal record when there from a country that has no police or law courts?

Bottom line is that illegals essentially steal from this country through the education system, or benefits, or as far as the imagination can reach. They have the priveledge to enter this country, but they have to go through the proper channels.

Well maybe they'd try if it wasn't so bloody difficult. And how can you be so selfish, to take all the risks they do and live in the conditions they do and still want to come because thats so much better than what they have at home. And if we're doing a balance sheet how much has America taken from the rest of the world? The jobs destroyed by American food dumped in third world countries that makes them stay in poverty, maybe if you even started to make trade just, nobody would want to come.

I like visiting America and will always defend it but sometimes you make it damn difficult not to agree with the anti-americanism in Europe.

We're not just talking about terrorist attacks in the safety issue...even though all a terrorist attack is, is an attack that is supposed to terrorize people.

What about gang violence? Or robberies or homicides?

I know that legallized American citizens contribute to that, but so do illegals, and that's a fear.

I agree that we should make the oppertunity for them to become legal easier. That would help to solve the problem, to have them documented.

I mean, Americans will no longer be allowed to enter back into the country from the US or Mexico without a passport...and that's US citizens! We've tightened up laws that affect the citizens that deal with travelling from country to country, yet we haven't sufficiently come up with a solution that involves illegal immigrants.

Its stupid to blame illegal immigrants for crimes when the vast majority of them are born and bred americans. This place is begninning to sound like the daily mail.

Back