Sci-Fi Zardoz (1974)

AlienView

StarGate Explorer
So I see all these reviewers on IMDb writing rave reviews for this film and it stared Sean Connery {played in many James Bond movies}, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Very weird, very interesting, and like many said nothing like it before or since; BUT, and IMO it said nothing, had a tacky meaningless ending and what could have been what some reviewers called a cult classic, ended up being no more than a strange art film. Any of you see it? Did anyone find some kind of message/meaning I missed?

Zardoz is one of those movies that I have had since my VHS days. I keep it but I don't know why because I never really rewatch it. It's an early seventies movie that has that late sixties movie feel to it. There is way better scifi movies with the same feel but for some unknown reason I just can't bring myself to delete it. I never recommend it to anyone.

Zardoz (1974)
MV5BNDU1NzMzNTEyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTc4NjY1MDE@._V1_SY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Zardoz_zed.jpg Sean Connery as Zed

Zardoz (1974) - IMDb

In the distant future, a savage trained only to kill finds a way into the community of bored immortals that alone preserves humanity's achievements.

... a strange art film
I've seen it a few times over the years and I keep coming back to the same conclusion as you, it's just a strange art film with a leading man that, at the time, was trying to get away from being typecast as his most well known character.

I think the cult following of fans it has obtained is not because of the movie quality but rather due to just how campy the whole thing is. Plus people seeing 'James Bond' in that BDSM outfit for the first time is always a bit of a shock moment that deserves to be shared with friends.