A change of season

Title: A change of season
Rating: PG-13
Summary: AU, something happens that changes Michael's life completely. Will he be able to sort everything out and what will Sydney's part be in his life?
Dedication:I would like to dedicate this story to one of the most wonderful people I have ever meet.
I want to dedicate this to cookiemonster.
Nancy,
over the past months you have become one of my best friends and I can't thank you enough for all the times you let me ramble on when I feel down or the support I get from you in everything I do.
You're an amazing friend and a wonderful sister and without you, I wouldn't have become what I am now.
Thank you for all your love and don't forget that I love you to the moon and back.
With all my love, Trish

P.S: I haven't completed this story yet so I'm still writing as I go. I do have all the storylines and ideas worked out in my head so it shouldn't be a problem to work out.
As always I'm very happy with some feedback and don't hesitate to tell me what yout hink of it.Even negative critics can turn into something good because they help me to know what you want and I can work on it then.
So please even if you hate this when you start reading, don't just stop and go back to reading something else but tell me why you stopped reading and what you want to see changed. It would help me a lot.
Now as for those who do like it, feedback is appreciated too :D
I hope you'll enjoy this.

achangeofseason.jpg

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>1.

Vaughn’ POV

I’m sitting here on my bed in my bedroom while I can hear the noises of all the people I invited, downstairs.
In normal occasions I would be happy to join them but this time I just couldn’t.
I had to get away from all their words and looks, it was just too much for me.
For some reason I don’t think they can blame me for escaping because they all knew that it was hard for me and that I needed to be alone for awhile.
So now I’m sitting here, alone with my thoughts and myself and as I look outside the window in my room, I can’t help but think that the weather reflects exactly how I feel.
It’s early October and the autumn has just set in and the once so beautiful green leafs on the oak tree in the garden, start to fall down onto the ground and sink into the earth until there’s nothing left. And that’s how I feel…
I feel like I’m going down with every single leaf and that slowly but surely I am disappearing too.
And as I’m sitting here I can’t stop thinking about my dad.
I think of him a lot but this time, I’m thinking about him more strongly.
He was a great man, my dad.
He was always there when things got rough and he did everything he could to help others when they needed him.
He was a loving father and a dedicated husband and I loved and still love him a lot.
The only thing he had done wrong in his whole life, was leaving me and my mother too early.
I still remember the day that the doctor told us that there was nothing more they could do.
My father had died on his fortieth life year by the cause of a simple metal object.
My dad had been a police officer and he always did what was right, only that day he had better chosen the wrong thing to do…
There had been a robbery at a bank and my dad had been part of the team to go in.
When one of the men fired a shot on a pregnant woman, my dad was the one to jump in front of her and by saving that woman’s life and the baby, he ended his.
There isn’t a day that goes by without thinking of him or the greatest lesson he has ever taught me.
I still remember that day as if it was yesterday…
It was the Summer in which I had my first girlfriend and I remember that he and I were standing in the garden when he suddenly placed his arm around my shoulder and said to me “I know that you might think I’m crazy but there is something I need to tell you about love. With every great love, comes a great loss. No matter who you love and when.”
And when I asked him why he had said it, he told me that he didn’t want me to get hurt and that one day I would understand it.
I didn’t read much into it at that time but now I know that he couldn’t have been more right.
I did fell in love and she was the greatest, she was the love of my life.
Laryssa and I meet on a plain trip to London about four years ago.
As a field officer of the Central Intelligence Agency, I had been assigned to go on a mission to London to retrieve some information about a guy. The mission had been very successful but also very exhausting and I was glad to be able to go back home so the minute the plane took off, I was planning on getting some sleep. But as fate wanted it, I never got to go to sleep because as it turned out I was seated next to a girl of about my age who was afraid of flying.
She didn’t have to tell me because the minute we got into some turbulence, she started shifting uneasily in her seat and when I looked at her, I could see that she was close to tears.

Flashback

“Are you okay, miss?” And even though I already knew the answer to my question, I wanted her to talk to me so that maybe she would start to feel at ease a bit.
“Not really, I guess I’m just not very into flying.”
“Is this your first time?”
“Second actually…I had to fly to London too and it was as bad as it is now. It’s like a massive torture.”
“Is there anything I can do?”
“That’s very kind of you to offer but I don’t think that anything can help me.”
“What if I can distract you?”
“Distract me? How?”
“By talking…would it help if we kept talking? Maybe you will forget your angst a bit then.”
“Well, I can try.”
“Okay. By the way, I’m Michael Vaughn.” And that’s when he saw her smile for the first time. It was a beautiful smile that went all the way up to her eyes.
“Laryssa MacKenzie.”
“It’s nice to meet you Laryssa.”
“It’s nice to meet you too.”
“So what do you do for a living?”
“I’m a teacher at a blind school near Los Angeles. What about you?” And that’s when he had to lie because there was no way on earth he could tell her what his real job was.
“I work for the bureau at state.”
“Wow.”
“Yeah.” And soon we had gotten ourselves into a comfortable conversation and by the time we landed back in Los Angeles, we had already exchanged our phone numbers.

End of flashback

After a few phone calls, we started dating and soon we realized how much we were in love.
We were happy together and she made me even more happier when she agreed to become my wife. By the time we got married; she knew about my job for the CIA and we no longer had any secrets.
She respected what I did and she never asked me anything more then I was allowed to say.
Laryssa and I shared everything: our body; our souls, our hopes and fears and our love.
There’s only one thing that she wasn’t able to share with me and that’s my loss…
My dad had been right.
The love we had was great, but my loss is even bigger and I don’t know how I will get over this.
Why did she have to leave me? Why her? Why did that car had to hit her?
These are only a few of the million questions I ask myself every night while I cry myself to sleep.
And I know that I will ask these questions until my heart and mind find rest again.

I’m still alone with my thoughts until I feel a soft hand on my shoulder and as I look up, I look into the sad eyes of my mother.
I suddenly know how she must have felt when my dad dies and I respect her even more now.
“It’s time to go now Michael.” And all I can do is nod and follow her downstairs to join the rest.
All her friends and family will help me to fulfil the last wish of my wife.
She had always loved the sea so she had wished to be spread out at sea and that’s what we were going to do.
The life of Laryssa Vaughn would end in sea but the memory of her would always live further in our hearts and souls, no matter what.
She would always be a part of us, a part of me.
She would always be on my mind, in my heart and in my soul.
She would never, ever be forgotten…

Give me a reason to believe that you're gone
I see your shadow so I know they're all wrong
Moonlight on the soft brown earth
It leads me to where you lay
They took you away from me but now I'm taking you home

I will stay forever here with you
My love
The softly spoken words you gave me
Even in death our love goes on

Some say I'm crazy for my love, Oh my love
But no bonds can hold me from your side, Oh my love
They don't know you can't leave me
They don't hear you singing to me

And I can't love you, anymore than I do

People die, but real love is forever.</span>

AN: the lyrics at the end are taken from the song EVEN IN DEATH by Evanescence

Thank you all soo much for reading and giving feedback :D
I really appreciate that :smiley:

Here's the pm list:

sydneymicheal
syd26
ASIOagent
ballerina
helpleessromantic

Thanks again

So sad, but good start! Poor Vaughn, so cute how they met though.

i would LOVE to read more when you update! Can i have a PM?

thanks so much!

wow trish.. that's a really emotional and powerful start! I absolutely love it and would love if you kept me on the PM list!

that's really sad about laryssa :( Poor Vaughn... he has to go through all that :cry: Awww...

luv JuJu :harp:

I'd like to thank each one of you for reviewing and for reading this :D
You guys are the best (y)
I love you all

PM LIST:
sydneymicheal
syd26
ASIOagent
ballerina
helpleessromantic
Prediction 47
cupcake55
vaughnshoney
ubielecki
Bubbles

hey :D
thanks for reading and i'll make sure to put you on the pm list :smiley:

pm list:

sydneymicheal
syd26
ASIOagent
ballerina
helpleessromantic
Prediction 47
cupcake55
vaughnshoney
ubielecki
Bubbles
sparklingrainbow

:woot: A dedication to me??????? :blush: I'm honored... jeesh I'm blushing plus you've turned me into a babbling person :lol:

That was soooooooo sweet... I love you too to the moon and back... You know you can always count on me, don't ya???? -_- Everybody needs to ramble, me too by the way (had a fight with my boss yesterday!!! I was really :mad:) :blink:

Yeah... long story... once on MSN I'll tell you about it... ;)

But first, I gotta review this awesome first chappy!!!!!!!!! (y)

Seriously... This is the best so far you've written! Didn't you co-write this with ashqua??? :thinking: Just wondering... Anyway... not that I don't like ASL...but this is way better!!!! :smiley:

I really hope you don't mind me saying that...

We're missing Syd though... LOL :angelic: She's going to come and safe him from desolation :P Easy... but who cares??? It's gonna be sweet... :love:

I guess there's not need for me to tell you to keep me on that Peeee Emmy list, right??? :rolleyes:

:hug: your sis

hey cookie...

Thanks for dropping by :D
Good to hear from you again :smiley:
Yes this story is dedicated to you, you know why I think ;)
This story is written by me..only ASL is co-written with Ashqua.
Well you're on the pm list now :smiley:

love ya

hey everyone,
I'm glad to let you know that part 2 is posted.
It is a bit angsty and I'm going to put this part as a rated PG-13 part.
Just so you know :smiley:
I hope you'll like it

**Trish**

Vaughn’ POV

Seven days…one hundred and sixty eight hours…ten thousand and eighty minutes…
A week…that’s how long I already had to miss my precious Laryssa, my beautiful wife.
It has been a week since the funeral and I can’t help it that I’m feeling numb.
I never thought that being on your own again was going to be that hard.
Of course I knew that I would miss her and that tears were going to stream easily but I never thought that the smallest things we shared, would hurt the most.
It’s Sunday morning and I’m still laying in our bed, my bed now but still I refer to it as our bed because I can’t seem to call it only mine…not after all the love we shared in it. This used to be our day, the day neither of us had to go into work and where we had the luxury of being able to spend an entire day with each other.
And look at how my Sunday and all my other days changed too.
There are no longer happy moments or stolen glances while watching her sleep.
No more hugs and kisses or caresses during the day.
Everything that used to be pretty in my eyes has now turned into shades of grey.
It’s like I can’t see colours anymore because every colour reminds me of her.
Her favourite colour of lipstick, her dresses, her shoes, everything.
I feel like I have died with her because I no longer have any hopes or dreams left.
I don’t want to live anymore, there is nothing to keep me here.
Of course I have my mom and Laryssa’s family and my best friend Eric but they don’t seem to be enough.
They’re all helping me and they’re doing their best, I know that but there’s only one thing, one person I want and they can’t give that to me.
I would do anything to have one more moment with her.
Not to say that I loved her or maybe that too but it wouldn’t be the essential thing I would tell her because we said “I love you” a lot.
But I would use that one single moment to say goodbye.
There are so many things that I still wanted to say and do and I didn’t even get the chance just like when my dad died. I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye to him either and that’s what I regret the most.

I stay in bed for another hour, mostly thinking and crying, when I finally get up.
There was just something I had to do and it couldn’t wait any longer so I quickly showered and got dressed before stepping into my car.
The drive only took me about fifteen minutes and as soon as I got out of the car, a wave of emotions came over me.
With tears in my eyes and with the sand beneath my feet, I walked over to the final resting place of my wife.
As soon as I was at the right spot, I sat down and after taking a few deep breathes, I began to talk to her as if she could really hear me.
“Hey sweetie…it’s me. I miss you, you know that? I really miss you.
God, why did it have to be you?
And why now, there are still so many things I wanted to do and share with you.
We were supposed to grow old together and have children.
We should have had the chance to see our grandchildren grow up.
I hate them for taking you away from me, they broke my heart into a million pieces.
Oh God, Laryssa, I don’t know what to do anymore.
I feel so alone and everything seems to have gotten ten times harder without you here.
You were my soul mate, my friend, my everything…
I loved you so much and I still do...I don’t think that I can ever stop loving you.
You were the only one for me and now they took you away.
Please just help me…
Just tell me what to do, I need you. Please…don’t leave me. Don’t leave me…”

No POV

Michael continued his talks and trips to the beach for weeks but it didn’t help.
The pain simply just wouldn’t get away, it just grew more and more each passing day.
After a while he just started drinking at night, just to try and numb the pain but it didn’t work.
The pain didn’t go away at all and the numbness, that grew even more and came more often.
His condition got so bad that one night he just lost it.
He couldn’t take it anymore…
He couldn’t live with the constant feeling of something missing, with the pain, with the loneliness.
He needed to get away from the pain, from everything and everyone and for him there was only one way he could think about to take it all away.

Michael got up from the couch and went into the bedroom.
When he opened one of his drawers, he went in search for his gun between his shirts.
Once he found it, he took it with him to the couch and held it close to his temple while saying only five simple words that meant so much…
“I’m coming back to you.”…

I tried to kill the pain
but only brought more
I lay dying
and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
I'm dying, praying, bleeding and screaming
am I too lost to be saved
am I too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation