A guild concept....

Karetyr

Cadet
I'm thinking of starting a guild for HJ. One of those guilds that predate the beta by several months, like the one I joined for SWG. One with a strong RP concept, since game features are sketchy at best right now. I looked through the list of guilds currently available, and didn't care for the concept of any of them. The ones with the best-looking sites seem to be devoted to peaceful ideals, something that doesn't really chime with my playing style. So.

War. Power. Conquest. The destruction of our enemies and the uplifting of our allies. A guild with the end goal of being the most powerful, the most destructive, and the most feared.

I haven't set down a name yet, but I'm thinking of something along the lines of "the Black Guard" or "the Brotherhood of the Jade Dragon." Simple. Easy to say. Easy to remember. Ominous.

Thoughts?

I think that before you decide on anything else, you should flesh out the concept a bit more. Why do you want power? Do you need it to achieve some sort of ultimate goal, or is it just for the sake of being the best? What is your code? How will you enforce it? Most importantly, who ARE you? It seems like the best thing to do is to figure all that out and then come up with an all-encompassing name that will sum you up in a catchy, bite-sized phrase.

To see your enemies laying at your feet, and the wailing and lamentation of the women! (Conan)

Power is not a goal, it is a birthright, held only by those able to keep it. (Ancient saying of the Shadow Clan of the Dark Elves {my own writing})

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the ability to control through force appeals to me. Power for the sake of power itself. Empire, not democracy.

This is not a plan for a "good" guild. It is, from its outset, dangerous....even, perhaps, evil.

My vision is something like a cross between the Roman Empire and the Galactic Empire (of Star Wars); a guild where control is highly important, and where discipline and ambition are rewarded. The guild would be, at the lowest level, comprised of those who value strength but do not yet possess it (lowbies) - these would would primarily serve as shock troops or enforcers. The next step up would be the captains, leaders of the enforcers and more dangerous in battle. Above that would be the governors, who control territory and ensure that the guild's policies are carried out. Finally, the guild would be led by an exceptional character with high personal ability both on and off the battlefield. With HJ's unique family/guild/House system, this could get very interesting, as power plays within the guild cause shifts in leadership and perhaps policy.

That's just the command chain, though. I envision a guild that, as policy, regularly expands its territory and showers upon its members the spoils of war. Economically speaking, the guild might have a trickle-down system where the higher-ups equip the lower ranks with whatever they find or have outgrown, and when the lowbies outgrow their equipment they sell it and give the money back to the guild coffers. I'm not sure of some of the details of HJ at this point, so not much can be set in stone.

Originally posted by Riceman@May 27 2006, 10:22 AM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the ability to control through force appeals to me. Power for the sake of power itself. Empire, not democracy.

This is not a plan for a "good" guild. It is, from its outset, dangerous....even, perhaps, evil.

My vision is something like a cross between the Roman Empire and the Galactic Empire (of Star Wars); a guild where control is highly important, and where discipline and ambition are rewarded. The guild would be, at the lowest level, comprised of those who value strength but do not yet possess it (lowbies) - these would would primarily serve as shock troops or enforcers. The next step up would be the captains, leaders of the enforcers and more dangerous in battle. Above that would be the governors, who control territory and ensure that the guild's policies are carried out. Finally, the guild would be led by an exceptional character with high personal ability both on and off the battlefield. With HJ's unique family/guild/House system, this could get very interesting, as power plays within the guild cause shifts in leadership and perhaps policy.

That's just the command chain, though. I envision a guild that, as policy, regularly expands its territory and showers upon its members the spoils of war. Economically speaking, the guild might have a trickle-down system where the higher-ups equip the lower ranks with whatever they find or have outgrown, and when the lowbies outgrow their equipment they sell it and give the money back to the guild coffers. I'm not sure of some of the details of HJ at this point, so not much can be set in stone.
Then how about a name like "The Nightmare Imperium" or "The Black Legion?" Or perhaps something that portrays you as a more unified entity, like "The Grim" or "Hell's Ascension?"

Looks like you have a pretty good idea of what you want out of your guild, how you want it organized and what your goals as a guild are. So if a name is the only think you are still stuck on, looks like you have the important parts taken care of. :smiley:

Here are a couple of suggestions:

ShadowClan

Dread Lords

The Black Hand

Hellgeist

The Arcanum Authority (AA)

So like.... I assume PvP is well within the purvey of the guild.

Power in a level sense or in terms of influence within the player circles?

The guild is obviously throwing its lot behind the Arcanum, right?

Originally posted by crisisfox@May 31 2006, 02:54 PM
The Arcanum Authority (AA)

So like.... I assume PvP is well within the purvey of the guild.

Power in a level sense or in terms of influence within the player circles?

The guild is obviously throwing its lot behind the Arcanum, right?
PvP, absolutely.

Power in all senses. Not just high-level players; any guild can boast those. This one must have REAL power - influence among players, yes, but primarily influence in the game world. That will require great numbers.

As of right now I'm not saying who the guild will be backing.

If this guild is made, Me and my friends might join. It will fit in with our background story and personality, which we already have in place.

An idea, instead of having the one guy to rule them all, have a council of about 10 to run the guild, that way one person isnt overwhelmed.
An idea for the positions

Council Member - They ultimately rule the guild along with the other council members. They recruit, change, and promote people based on the things they hear from the Couriers.

Council Courier - They listen and talk to members about improvements, promotions, and recruitment. They talk to the council about these things.

(Depending on the name the regular member status and all lowers ranks names will change)
Member - just a member of the guild, talk to the couriers about things they would like to see, freinds that want recruitments, and other members they see doing good or bad things.

Trial Member - People being tested out to see if they fit in with the guild mentality.

Just an idea I thought Id throw out there. Oh yah, and this is a great way to run a guild, It has worked many times with guilds I've been on in prevoius games.

Bah! If you make this guild, be forewarned! Clan Rockstomper will keep the [insert your guild name here] at bay! Even though right now we only consist of me and my brother... But that matters not! For two Burians can beat a legion of a 1000 or more anything else (In a drinking contest, eating contest, or just plain battle)!

Khazad ai-menu! Khazad ai-menu!

Yea... Anyways, here's some name suggestions:

Hands of Death

Hellspawn

Hydra

The Barons of (Temsyne, Urwir, Takut, Lorstra, Hell, Death, etc.)

The Legion of the Apocolypse

Jon, I'm certainly open to suggestions. A council model might work even with the "evil empire" scheme I'm going for. I too have experienced good guilds that were led by councils.

Right now I'm at a seminar at Princeton, and my brain is pretty fried from all the high-level philosophical discussions going on. I'll make a more interesting post here this weekend, when I can think again.

thank you Riceman!! Finally a guild with something I'm interested in!!! A guild with the love of battle!!! I'm with ya all the way.

And I have a name too.

Iron Tempest

Like it? Good. Git er done.

hm, the concept is certainly interesting to me. However from an RP perspective, I am not sure if the charecter I normally play would "fit in". I always play a Rogue who "wins you with a smile" and is for the most part good at heart. But a lust for power certainly would not be against his rogue nature. If you can stand (from an RP perspective) someone who would often speak out in favor of the "moral" course of action. Myself as well as a few friends and guild mates (who are leaving WoW) might just be in. let me know your thoughts.

I'm still planning on starting this guild, y'know. The concept may change a bit though.....

....it might be worth starting a guild devoted solely to Hero's Hall veterans. B-)

Back