All Thing's George

"she initiated it"? i'm not excusing meredith, but nothing would have happened if george had told her how he felt--i don't know--when she was not horribly, wickedly, terribly depressed.

m-c

George just told her that he loved her. She was the one that started taking off his clothes. Plus, I don't think he knew how sad she was.

i think they are both responsible. she shouldn't have done it unless she was sure she wanted it, but he also shouldn't have done it unless he was sure she wanted it. i mean, you profess your love and suddenly she loves you back completely? he knew she didn't feel the same way, aka he knew he was risking his heart for her.

m-c

Completely agree with acting_chica on this.

George is an adult. He can make his own decisions. If he didn't want Meh to take off his clothes and start the ick!sex, he could have stopped her. Meh was feeling very sad (which he didn't know... if he was better at reading emotions, he would have seen that that night was not the time and place to tell her about his undying love) and George is George and she thought he'd be comforting. Instead, she starts sobbing and he reacted in a way I completely didn't think he would. I thought he would at least ask her what was wrong, instead of assuming she was crying because she was so repulsed by having sex with him. Obviously, that wasn't it.

When someone starts crying during sex, you don't yell at them. George really surprised me... and not in a good way.

However, it does put a Meh voice-over from season 1 into perspective. Y'know, the episode where, at the end, George brings up some beers to Meh's room, but she's not there (this is the episode before he finds out about Meh/Derek).

Part of the voiceover says, "We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore. Until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin meant... that knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping. And that even the biggest failure, even the most intractable mistake, beats the hell out of never trying."

At the time, I thought this "mistake" was referring to Meh/Derek. But now, in the context of Meh/George - or the implosion of Meh/George - it makes perfect sense.

At least George tried. At least he said how he was feeling. At least he knows how Meh feels, or doesn't feel. Now George doesn't see Meh through rose-colored glasses - he no longer has her placed on a pedestal. He sees her for the unstable, screwed up, broken, and HUMAN person she really is.

However, it does put a Meh voice-over from season 1 into perspective. Y'know, the episode where, at the end, George brings up some beers to Meh's room, but she's not there (this is the episode before he finds out about Meh/Derek).

Part of the voiceover says, "We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore. Until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin meant... that knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping. And that even the biggest failure, even the most intractable mistake, beats the hell out of never trying."

At the time, I thought this "mistake" was referring to Meh/Derek. But now, in the context of Meh/George - or the implosion of Meh/George - it makes perfect sense.

At least George tried. At least he said how he was feeling. At least he knows how Meh feels, or doesn't feel. Now George doesn't see Meh through rose-colored glasses - he no longer has her placed on a pedestal. He sees her for the unstable, screwed up, broken, and HUMAN person she really is.

so you pretty much rock my socks off. :D

What was Merdith even so upset about? what was so wrong that she has to start crying right that second?

I suspect she wanted to cry sooner, but as she is Meh, she held it in as long as she could. Or when he caught her hair (when she said, "ow... you're on my hair..."), it was such a George thing to do, that it really hit home what she was doing and how crappy a person she felt.

She was sad because of the thing with her dad, I'm sure. I think anyone would feel that upset if put in that situation. George came in, said all those sweet things, and she thought that maybe the love of her life was in front of her the whole time and she never knew it. In a perfect world, they would have had perfect sex and fallen in love and lived happily ever after. Thankfully, the GA writers are a little more grounded in reality - Meh realizes mid-sex that George is NOT, in fact, the love of her life, and it's just awkward 'cause she sees him as a good friend, completely plutonic. And sex activates the sympathetic nervous system, which can make a person more emotional (the sympathetic NS increases your heart rate, blood pressure and breathing, makes your pupils dilate, contracts muscles... all things that happen during sex).

I would have cried too, I think, if I found myself in that situation.

Oh, and then George immediately thought she was crying because sex with him was so bad, yells at her and storms off, and that just made things worse. Then she was also crying because she hurt George.

Then she was also crying because she hurt George
i think she was even crying for that to begin with. i mean, not completely, but a little. she realises midway through, that she doesn't love george the way he loves her, that she doesn't want this anymore, that she just wants things to be normal. she realises it never will be again. she realises that she is doing something horrible. she realises she may never get what she truly wants. all those things added to her tears, and i think she needed george so much as a friend then, and she lost him as everything.

m-c

i think she was even crying for that to begin with. i mean, not completely, but a little. she realises midway through, that she doesn't love george the way he loves her, that she doesn't want this anymore, that she just wants things to be normal. she realises it never will be again. she realises that she is doing something horrible. she realises she may never get what she truly wants. all those things added to her tears, and i think she needed george so much as a friend then, and she lost him as everything.

m-c

(y) Agree.

We are definitely on the same wavelength here! :lol:

Sometimes I feel like Meh's apologist.

Over on ABC.com, GA's FAQs - Shonda Rimes was asked why she had Merideth and George sleep together. I thought that her answer was very interesting. Here is part of it...

"I've known this was going to happen from the very first day the show started. It's where Meredith and George have been headed from the beginning. They had to have this awful moment so that they could come out the other side. Now, George can see beyond the fantasy to the reality and Meredith can see George as a man more than as a brother."

Once they get past the akwardness (and i know they will) it will be interesting to see how their relationship progresses.

This is what TR Knight (George himself) thought about it... this is from Watch With Kristin's column: "I just liked that George acted on something primal, but also, it wasn't just a 'poor George' moment. It's like George, yes, has loved her since the start, but he also hasn't been listening to her since the start, or he would have known she didn't love him. So, it's not that Meredith's bad. It's, like, he had a responsibility, too, and he didn't do it."

And I TOTALLY agree. I'm glad he sees it himself. I like TR Knight.

I think that when Merideth doesn't have George around, she realize what a great friend he is and stop taking him for granted. I don't think she will ever have romantic feelings for him, but I do think she will realize that he could be her best friend....I think that he would make a better best friend than Cristina would

*gasp* cristina is the best. :P
right but this is a george thread, so let me ignore that evil cristina-bashing (jk) and agree with you. george was a great friend to meredith, and i think/hope he will be again. their dynamics as a platonic duo are great.

m-c

I wasn't trying to bash Cristina, I just think that she would put her own interests before Merideths...George wouldn't do that. I love Cristina, but part of loving Cristina is loving her selfish ways.

Anyways back to the main subject...George. His haircut, it looked like he cut it himself...it made me laugh.

Back