Change Your Mind

How could you do that? What's going to happen now that baby Vaughn is gone? Because I don't think Sydney will ask Vaughn for another baby, it took her some time to accept the fact she was pregnant, so what's going to happen now? I'm afraid she will think Vaughn helds her for responsable for what happpened and Vaughn won"t know what to do to make her change her mind about it.

Okay so I have to reply twice because I still can't believe it (i've slept on this) I'm hoping it's like some wacky dream to make her realise that she really loves Michael and they should be together forever!!..........please?

Chapter 25

For ten minutes, Sydney and Michael held each other as they cried over the loss of their unborn child. Sydney’s whole body was trembling and Michael tried to comfort her as much as possible, knowing that the calmer she stayed the better it would be for her. After those ten minutes passed, a nurse came to take Sydney up to a different floor of the hospital. Once there, doctors and nurses milled around them for hours, doing procedures, taking blood samples and asking questions. Michael stayed with Sydney the whole time, holding her hand, putting an arm around her when her cries started up again, or getting her some more tissues.

Finally, around four a.m., the exhausted pair was finally left alone to rest. Michael managed to catch a few hours sleep in a chair beside Sydney’s bed while Sydney slept a few hours herself. At seven thirty a.m., Michael slipped out of Sydney’s room and called Sydney’s office to tell them she wouldn’t be coming in that day. He left out the part about the miscarriage, not sure of how many people in Sydney’s office even knew she was pregnant. When he went back into Sydney’s room after making the call, he found her awake. “Hey,” he said softly. Sydney said nothing, but she looked at him. “How are you feeling?” he asked. She merely shrugged in response. “I called your office to tell them you weren’t coming in,” he told her.

“Thanks,” she said hoarsely. “What time is it?”

“Almost eight.”

“I-I need to call my dad… I was supposed to have a phone conference with him at eight-thirty,” Sydney said as she groped for the phone beside her bed. Michael handed it to her and held it as close to her as it would reach so she could dial her father’s number. He was surprised at how stoic Sydney was when explaining to her father that she was in the hospital and that she had lost her baby. Only a few tears fell before she hung the phone back up. “He sends us his condolences,” Sydney told Michael.

Michael simply nodded before asking, “Do you want me to call Nadia?”

“No,” Sydney shook her head. “Don’t bother her.”

“Sydney, she should know,” Michael told her. “What if she tries to call your work and they tell her you’re in the hospital; she’ll have a heart attack.”

“Good point,” Sydney sighed. “Yeah, okay, you can call her.”

Michael nodded before picking up the phone once more. Of course he didn’t remember Nadia’s phone number, so he had to ask Sydney for it, but once he got it he dialed. Nadia answered after only two rings, but he could hear one of the girls screeching in the background. Michael explained their situation at which point Nadia began to cry. This made Michael intensely uncomfortable, but he tried to calm her as much as he could before hanging up. “She said she’d come, but she can’t leave until someone comes to watch the girls,” Michael told her.

“It’s okay, she doesn’t have to,” Sydney sighed as she leaned back against the pillow behind her and shut her eyes.

“I’m… I’m gonna get some coffee, okay? Do you want anything?” Michael asked. Sydney shook her head silently. He then gave her a soft smile before leaving.

Michael stayed away from Sydney’s room much longer than he should have. He wandered the halls of the hospital, sipping on his coffee and avoiding going back. He wasn’t sure how much more he could take just sitting in the chair beside Sydney, waiting for it all to end. It was too much at once: losing her and the baby. When he did return to her room, he arrived just as the doctor was leaving. “How is she?” Michael asked.

“She’s doing just fine,” the doctor said. “She should be able to go home by later this afternoon.”

“Good,” Michael nodded. “Do…do you know what caused this?”

The doctor shook his head. “She didn’t have any abdominal trauma and she’s in perfect health. Sometimes these things just happen,” he said. Then, he walked away.

When Michael walked into Sydney’s room, he found her curled up on her side with her back towards the door. He walked over to her and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. “The doctor says you can go home later; that’s good,” Michael said as he walked around her bed so he could look at her.

“Yeah,” she sighed. “You can leave, you know. You don’t have to stay.”

“But I want to,” he assured her. “Besides, what else am I gonna do? It’s not like I have a job to go to,” he said in a playful way, trying to lighten the mood. Just the previous day Sydney had been complaining to Michael about having to work while he got the summers off.

“That’s true,” Sydney said softly as the corners of her lips turned up ever so slightly. Michael smiled back at her before he kissed her forehead.

~*~

After spending a long, boring day in the hospital, Sydney was finally able to go home. The doctors instructed her that she needed to spend at least one more day in bed, though and could stand for no more than five minutes at a time only a few times a day. Sydney, of course, complained about this, but Michael assured the doctor’s she’d do as they asked, even if he had to tie her down.

The atmosphere in Michael’s car was very somber on the way home. Michael was just waiting for Sydney to flat out tell him to go away since they were essentially nothing anymore. When they arrived at their apartment complex, Michael insisted on carrying Sydney to her apartment. She was walking slow and at that pace it would take her more than five minutes to get to her apartment. As a compromise, Michel carried her halfway and let her walk up the stairs to her apartment by herself, mostly because she threatened him.

“Michael, seriously, I’m fine. Nadia’s coming over in like fifteen minutes anyway,” Sydney told him as he tucked her into bed. “You look exhausted; please go home and get some rest.”

“Okay,” Michael swallowed hard as the ache in his heart grew stronger. “I guess I’ll… I’ll see you around then.”

“Wait,” Sydney stopped him before he could take two steps away. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means… I don’t know… it means what it means,” he shrugged.

“What it means is you…you’re just leaving me? Like…like this all meant nothing?” she asked with tears in her eyes. She went to stand up but Michael forced her back down.

“You need to lie down,” he said.

“But… but, did the last few weeks mean nothing to you?” she asked tearfully.

“No, Sydney, no. They meant everything but… but we’re right back where we started. I want to get married, I want a family and you…,” he let his voice drift off.

“But,” Sydney said in a quiet voice as she lowered her eyes to her lap, “what if I want you?”

Michael couldn’t help but wince at the ache in his heart. “Sydney-”

“No, Michael, listen. I… I’ve let this fear control my life for so long and I’m sick of it. It’s just gotten so bad I didn’t know what to do. I’ve let it stop me from the things I really want. You know what I really want Michael? I want a baby. When I heard the heartbeat the other week I was just… I was just so amazed and I wanted one – a baby with you,” she told him, finally raising her eyes back to his.

“You’re right… I’m scared. I’m really scared to get married. I’m scared that it’ll just end up like my parents marriage did, but… but I’m more scared of losing you. I love you, Michael; I love you so much…I… I don’t want to be without you because that’s scarier than anything so…so if you want to get married, I’ll marry you, I will, just please, please don’t leave me, please,” she cried.

“Sydney,” Michael exhaled as he reached over to brush away the tears pouring down her face. “Are you sure? Are you sure this is what you want?”

Sydney nodded. “I’m sure I want you.”

“Oh Syd,” Michael sighed, pulling her into a tight hug. She cried onto his shoulder as they held each other for a few minutes before Michael pulled back and gave her a sweet kiss. “I love you, Syd.”

She gave him a soft smile before kissing him once more. “I was serious, you know. You look like a wreck. Go home, shower, change; I promise I won’t get out of bed.”

“You sure?” he asked.

Sydney nodded. “Besides, Nadia’s going to be here in like… less than ten minutes now,” she said, glancing at the clock.

“Okay,” he said. Then he kissed her once more before saying, “I’ll be back,” and leaving her apartment with a smile on his face.

:smiley: see i fixed it

well at least they are going to be together forever but still the Baby i'm still sad now just thinking about it!!

But it was great as usual it's always great!!

awww you always find a way to make things better... and may i add... great updates like these really come in great timing....

the day has been so wrong, til now and you just made it all better... :smiley:

thanks! really great update :smiley:

:smiley: see i fixed it

you better did!!!!!!!!! :lol:

But first I was like WTF :confused: ? Update so early... and I was like... right :banghead: Tuesday cookie, it's Tuesday!!!!!!!! Since the beginning of the day I constantly think we're Wednesday :angelic: urgh... but I have to give class tonight so... hope I won't forget till then... :lol:

“No, Michael, listen. I… I’ve let this fear control my life for so long and I’m sick of it. It’s just gotten so bad I didn’t know what to do. I’ve let it stop me from the things I really want. You know what I really want Michael? I want a baby. When I heard the heartbeat the other week I was just… I was just so amazed and I wanted one – a baby with you,” she told him, finally raising her eyes back to his.

I was pretty sure that something like that would come along the line... but still, not in the point where Sydney would loose the baby... -> i still haven't forgive you for that! -_-

Killing off Vaughn 👶 nobody EVER kills of little dimples :P

But you're getting a step closer since you've fixed this partially :angelic:

We'll see how you'll end this fic :P

yes yes you did fix it and I'm very happy right now...i'm like a proud mamma! can't wait for more! i'm so happy right now! she wants to get married! YAY!!!!

Just for the record Janet, I think this is probably my favorite fic of yours. :smiley:

I'm still sad as hell about the baby, it must be a horrible thing to go through. I can only hope Sydney doesn't start to get all guilty because she didn't want the baby in the first place. I knew that I, irrational enough, would.

I do think she is a stronger woman now and I'm so glad she didn't let Vaughn go.

Back