Politics Chivalry: What Happened To It?

Victoria King said:
some might say chivalry takes away independence from women. saying everyone is equal, why cant women do this and that just as well as men?! we can but i am getting tired of all the political correctness. I just want my knight in shining armor to protect me
I think it's more than just political correctness. It is equality. Women say they are equal to men. And it's true--men and women are equal. I think it's unfair how men have to pay for everything (does money grow on male trees?), pull out chairs, hold doors open, etc. Were men born to be slaves for women? Women are perfectly capable of paying for their own food, pulling out their own chairs, and opening their own doors. So why are men expected to do these things? I know society has raised us that way. But society also began with men being the "boss of the house" and women staying home taking care of the children. Yet women have gained independence but still expect some things to be done for them. I just wanna know why. And don't say it's romantic, because what if farting was romantic? :P

But... since society has raised us that way, I think it's okay. I have no problem with pulling out chairs and holding doors open. (Now when it comes to money, unless I'm rich, that may be a problem :lol:smiley: Even though it's somewhat of a sexist double standard, it's also only polite. And I agree, love has in some ways become a "for pleaure only" delicacy, and the romance needs to be restored.

About the word hot, I don't think it's completely offensive, but overused and could be insulting. But I don't use the word myself ;) (A girl called me strange for that! :lol: But she said it was strange in an interesting way)

I don’t think chivalry was really inherently romantic, just that all of the fairy tales we hear romanticize it like crazy. Chivalry itself died during the 100 Years War.

why is this in the serious thread...cause i am laughing my arse.

it must be my twisted humor.

Ya know not everyone has the same standards and such...like there are many other people in the world wo are different and have different kind of standards

It's not meant to be like babying you. It is a sign of respect. Women should be respected and cherished. I thought it's the proper and right hting to do that men be chiverlous. not too much but yeah. it's always nice. I see it as a sign of respecct.

~Dark One~

Geez...so much for not hitting girls. Comment in a way I see highly offensive and I just maybe give u a nice kick. :D Cept thing one guy chucked a ball at my head after I did that, several occasions this has happened. :blink: But then I tackled him. :lol: The things I get away with at school.

As for doors...I can open my own geedee doors. If we want equality...we most definately can open doors!

Ugh! The whole "never hit a girl" thing makes me sick! What, we're incapable of defending ourselves? Honestly, I don't think you should hit anybody if your mad at them, but singling out girls just annoys me so much!

KateJones47 said:
Ugh! The whole "never hit a girl" thing makes me sick! What, we're incapable of defending ourselves? Honestly, I don't think you should hit anybody if your mad at them, but singling out girls just annoys me so much!
Obviously, you don't live in reality. 99.9% of women are physically weaker than men, that's fact. So a fist-blow from a man to a woman is much different than the a women doing it to a man. Also, you don't hit women! Period. -_-
Yes, there is a reason to hit anybody, just don't do it!
There's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs, just don't do it!
Nobodies above an as* wopping, but just don't do it! :lol:

~~Spongy!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:

~~Spongy!
WOO that made me laugh... brightened my bleak day

KateJones47 said:
Obviously, you don't live in reality. 99.9% of women are physically weaker than men, that's fact. So a fist-blow from a man to a woman is much different than the a women doing it to a man. Also, you don't hit women! Period. -_-

~~Spongy!
In my opinion, one of the reasons that many men are stronger than many women is because society puts a lot of pressure on men to be strong. I mean, I don't think it's really that much of a genetic thing; it's a societal thing.

Charlie said:
KateJones47 said:

~~Spongy!
In my opinion, one of the reasons that many men are stronger than many women is because society puts a lot of pressure on men to be strong. I mean, I don't think it's really that much of a genetic thing; it's a societal thing.
Nope. Guys are genetically physically stronger. My friend takes kiniseology (can't spell) and men are borned with more muscle strength.

~~Spongy!

KateJones47 said:

~~Spongy!
but still, you dont have to hit that hard! i mean, one of my friends just stands there while a girl hits him. And when i ask, why didnt you hit her back? he goes, because a guy cant hit a girl. I mean, wtf? Don't just stand there!

I think it's more than just political correctness. It is equality. Women say they are equal to men. And it's true--men and women are equal. I think it's unfair how men have to pay for everything (does money grow on male trees?), pull out chairs, hold doors open, etc. Were men born to be slaves for women? Women are perfectly capable of paying for their own food, pulling out their own chairs, and opening their own doors. So why are men expected to do these things? I know society has raised us that way. But society also began with men being the "boss of the house" and women staying home taking care of the children. Yet women have gained independence but still expect some things to be done for them. I just wanna know why. And don't say it's romantic, because what if farting was romantic?

Right on AA! I don't think its romantic at all! Chivalry is autually a big turnoff for me. I mean, why should a girl be treated special? Just because she's a girl? I can pay for my own things (i have money too ya know? its not only guys who have the cash), and yes, although some people may feel the need to help me open a door (wtf? am i too weak to open it myself now?), i hate chivalry. I'm just as equal to a guy!

In fact, one of my guy friends tries to carry my books for me today. I mean, ok, i did have 4 textbooks and all, but still. I can carry it. Do i look powerless to you? And this other guy comes along, and says, "oh, just let him hold your books! it makes him feel good." and i'm like wtf? i like to carry my own books. so is making me unhappy making him happy? And I know that if i were a guy, he wouldnt help me, and thats what pisses me off; that many guys feel that women need help with things, when we dont.

VaughnFan13 said:
KateJones47 said:

~~Spongy!
but still, you dont have to hit that hard! i mean, one of my friends just stands there while a girl hits him. And when i ask, why didnt you hit her back? he goes, because a guy cant hit a girl. I mean, wtf? Don't just stand there!
Exactly! I mean, it's not like he should try to kill her, but come on! Why should the guy just stand there? I mean it's not like she would die from a slap in the face!

eh *shrugs* it's a little blurry for me. I mean, sometimes it's just nice when a guy considers how heavy your stuff are and volunteers to carry them for you. Or open the door and let you go in first. It shows that they respect you and cherish (I can't think of a better word) you.

On the other hand, I consider myself pretty independent. I can pay for my own stuff, I can open my own door, I can do just about as much as a guy can. and I'm all for independence. It's just nice sometimes to have a guy do things for you. -_-

--Mandy :angelic:

VaughnFan13 said:
I think it's more than just political correctness. It is equality. Women say they are equal to men. And it's true--men and women are equal. I think it's unfair how men have to pay for everything (does money grow on male trees?), pull out chairs, hold doors open, etc. Were men born to be slaves for women? Women are perfectly capable of paying for their own food, pulling out their own chairs, and opening their own doors. So why are men expected to do these things? I know society has raised us that way. But society also began with men being the "boss of the house" and women staying home taking care of the children. Yet women have gained independence but still expect some things to be done for them. I just wanna know why. And don't say it's romantic, because what if farting was romantic?

Right on AA! I don't think its romantic at all! Chivalry is autually a big turnoff for me. I mean, why should a girl be treated special? Just because she's a girl? I can pay for my own things (i have money too ya know? its not only guys who have the cash), and yes, although some people may feel the need to help me open a door (wtf? am i too weak to open it myself now?), i hate chivalry. I'm just as equal to a guy!
I suppose how you look at it then, b/c chivalry is something I always like to look for. I don't necessarily believe it has to do with the guy always paying, yadda yadda, b/c that itself sounds like a double standard. But, as for opening doors, helping me out, offering to hold my books when I have to find my keys, and so on, I think it's wonderful that there are guys still willing to do that.

I look at it like respect, not taking away from individualism. I will not look into like an equality issue, b/c when lots of guys are acting chivalrous they aren't trying to be better than girls or trying to put them down. They open doors to help, they walk you to your car to be kind. That's what I love.

It's not gender equality and independence issues, it's guys and girls respecting one another in action, not just in words.

btvaughn said:
VaughnFan13 said:

I suppose how you look at it then, b/c chivalry is something I always like to look for. I don't necessarily believe it has to do with the guy always paying, yadda yadda, b/c that itself sounds like a double standard. But, as for opening doors, helping me out, offering to hold my books when I have to find my keys, and so on, I think it's wonderful that there are guys still willing to do that.

I look at it like respect, not taking away from individualism. I will not look into like an equality issue, b/c when lots of guys are acting chivalrous they aren't trying to be better than girls or trying to put them down. They open doors to help, they walk you to your car to be kind. That's what I love.

It's not gender equality and independence issues, it's guys and girls respecting one another in action, not just in words.
*HERE HERE* i agree completly!!!!!!

its an act of respect! Instead of the guy slamming the door in your face, or staring at you while juggle five million books until they come colliding down on you.

I agree, it's respectful and considerate to offer to do things. But how come it's not customary for girls to open doors and pay for meals? :P

Well, that's passed down through time...and that's the point of chivalry. We all know that in earlier times, girls were obviously lower and less important, but the idea of courting was one of male dominance. And that was done in the respectable way of chivalry.

As for doors and dinner...I've paid for our dinner before and opened doors for him as well. ;)

Back