Continuing Life

sam

Cadet
this is my first attempt at writing a fan-fic so bear with me.

Part 1

Sydney leaned agianst the gymnasium wall, her heart was pounding after the grueling workout and she flashed back to the day that everything that she loved was ripped out of her grasp, leaving her to collect the peices left of her once, nearly perfect life.

flashback

She was waiting for the call from Vaughn to say that he had arrived in Russia safely when the second line in her apartment rang. That line only the CIA had the number to and would only use it in case of emergency. She snatched the phone off the hook and froze as she heard the voice oozing with disdain on the other end.

"So Agent Bristow, I see I've outsmarted you again. Only this time your friend will pay for meddling in our affairs." BANG! the shot snapped through the lines and reverberated through her skull. "That was just a warning. The next time it will be family and an even closer friend than this one was."

The line went dead as she stared at it in horror. She didn't understand where they had gotten this number unless... her face blanched. She hoped beyond hope that they hadn't gone through Vaughn to get it. the next morning she was just getting out of the shower when the same ill-fated phone rang again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tell me what you think and i might post more

sam :D

Part 2
Time froze as she looked at the phone. She didn't want to pick it up but was compelled by some unknown force. When she lifted the receiver to her ear she heard Jack's voice on the other end.

"Syd? We have an emergency and you need to get down here right now." The word emergency burned into her brain.

"W-W-What is it?" she stuttered.

"Vaughn has not contacted us since he arrived in Russia and leniency time is running out. We have two options open, either he deflected to SD-6, or...." The pause stretched out between them until Sydney broke it.

" I'll be down there right away." And hung up the phone.

End Flashback

As her heart rate slowed she remembered that she had gone to that meeting and listened in stony silence to every possibility about Vaughn's disappearance act. She hadn't mentioned the call from Sark because she had still been in shock. But now.. they had just gotten word from one of the agents sent in Vaughn's place. He had arrived in Russia with no mishap and then with no warning, all communications were cut off. The last thing they had heard was a door being broken in and then, nothing. Sydney fell back as the darkness swallowed her once more. She knew what was going to happen.

She was right. When she got home, the CIA phone started ringing again. She picked it up knowing that she would hear Sark's voice coming through the line. "Well Miss Bristow, your agency has sent me another toy. How thoughtful. she heard the click as he loaded it. The panic started setting in and she heard a voice,

"Wait, what do you want?" She was shocked to hear those words come out of her mouth. His voice, devoid of any emotions, drawled across the line.

"Oh Sydney, I thought you would never ask. What we want in return for this agents life is.....you."

"Me?! No!"

"OK. But were you told this agent's name before he left? This is Jack. you have two hours to decide before we start shooting off his body parts. You might want to decide before then."

The sharp click in her ear told her that the conversation was over. Little bits of information finally fit together. Like the fact that Jack had been so secretive as to what he was working on and why he disappeared so suddenly. She had just made her decision when the phone rang again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think.
sam

Part 3
She picked up the phone with hands that were slightly shaky. She knew what she was going to say would have an impact on her life forever.

"Hello?" she said, not showing a hint of what she was feeling.

"So, Agent Bristow, have you made your choice?" the evil voice that snaked across the lines made her involuntarily shiver.

"Yes, I have." she heard the unmistakable sound of a person preparing to shoot Jack. "I will come under one condition. You tell me if you killed Agent Vaughn or not." she hoped he would answer because if he didn't she would be back at square one only this time she would be in the hands of Sark.

"You are not really one to be making demands, Miss Bristow." he spat, "But since I'm in a charitable mood I will tell you this. These games grow tiresome and every moment you waste bring Jack closer to losing a knee or limb."

"Did you or did you not kill Michael?" the tone in her voice was nearing hysteria.

"I might have. I kill a lot of people. That is the best answer you will get out of me Agent Bristow. Make your choice."

"OK. Just don't hurt Jack, please. I will come to Russia and take his place if he gets to come back here unharmed."

" You drive a hard bargain Agent Bristow, but I think I got the better end of the deal. Your father will make it back unharmed by me."

"Than I suppose you have a deal, Sark."

Part 4
His oily laugh slid across the lines. "I knew you would say yes to save him. Now listen carefully, in your mailbox sometime this week you will find an envelope with a one way ticket to St. Petersburg, your passport and visa. You will need to be packed and everything by the time that package arrives. If you are not here within the time frame, you and everyone close to you will suffer. Do you understand?"

She opened her mouth but no words came out. She tried again but to no avail.

“Agent Bristow! Do you understand?”

She forced her voice to work and croaked out the affirmative.

“Good. Now start packing. You will have seven days at the most but most likely two or three.”

He hung up the phone and Syd just stood there, frozen, as the horror of what she had just done sunk in.

“Oh my god… what have I done?” The words started as a whisper but crescendoed (sp) to a scream. She had just turned herself over to the man she had devoted her career to fighting.

She sank to the floor thoughts whirling in her head. “What else could I have done? He already took Vaughn away, I’m not going to let him take Jack too. Than a nagging voice in the back of her mind spoke up. “But what if I screw up and he kills me and Jack anyway? Will my death have been in vain? Then it was overpowered by the stronger one. “ I have to try. What if Vaughn is still alive? I have to try if only for that reason.

With that thought firmly fixed in her head she went to her room and started to pack.

hey you guys, I'm going to keep posting but I'm going on vacation in about 5 days so they might be farther between each post but they will be there.

Back