Evil

Speaking of this heroic journey, will a villainous journey be an option?

That depends. What's evil? What's good?

Your character probably won't be able to join the Burlorg and destroy civilization, so the "truly evil" option is not on the table. No poisoning babies or setting fire to puppy farms. (Then again, when the Burlorg do that they tend to believe that what they're doing is saving Elanthia and for the greater good...puppy over-population is a dangerous thing, after all, and should be strictly controlled. By fire. But I digress.)

Your character probably will be able to make choices as a Gearsmith ally that seriously annoy and vex the Arcanum. Hero to one side, not so much a hero to the other. It all depends on how you look at things.

Quest driven PvP? Or are we talking about no risk PvE?

Both. :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer

I don't think a person has to be "good" to be a "hero," which is why I would like to see something along the lines of the Good and Evil factor, as shown in Fable.

But anyway, cool stuff. Finally those puppy bastards get what they deserve.

Really evil. Like so evil, that you would say it was E-VEEL, like it's the FRU-ETS of the DEV-EEL. E-VEEL. - "So I married an axe murderer"

Yeah, well, at least we can rest easy knowing that no one in HJ will be making country versions of Kids Bop. Now that would be evil... :_| Oh wait, it was evil...

Docmdnite said:
you mean truely evil, not like the horde in WoW?

*stands up in the group therapy circle*

"Hi, my name is Gate and I was a level 60 Tauren Druid. A feral druid no less. Back before it was "cool" to be one. Yeah. Issues? *twitch* nope no issues, thanks. I mean, dammit! Horde aren't the bad-guys! We are perfectly upright citizens of the world. We just lack chairs... and hygene... and I only ate a gnome once! But it was a dare so that doesn't count."

I like having several perspectives in a rpg. It adds quite alot of flavor to it and I think the three factions will do so nicely (assuming they haven't toned down the rivalry). I personally think being able to be honestly "evil" would take away from the game- those people wouldn't be part of the politics, the mixed feelings between factions, and the overall struggle to save the world.

Gate said:
"Hi, my name is Gate and I was a level 60 Tauren Druid. A feral druid no less. Back before it was "cool" to be one. Yeah. Issues? *twitch* nope no issues, thanks. I mean, dammit! Horde aren't the bad-guys! We are perfectly upright citizens of the world. We just lack chairs... and hygene... and I only ate a gnome once! But it was a dare so that doesn't count."

I like having several perspectives in a rpg. It adds quite alot of flavor to it and I think the three factions will do so nicely (assuming they haven't toned down the rivalry). I personally think being able to be honestly "evil" would take away from the game- those people wouldn't be part of the politics, the mixed feelings between factions, and the overall struggle to save the world.

Exactly evil is a matter of perspective in the roll playing environment. Going around killing everything etc is more psychotic and chaotic. That does detract from the fun of the game. However one can RP an evil character that does not have to be a mass murderer.

One groups good is another groups evil.

Zhelas Grondumast Faendryl
Necromancer (retired)
Follower of Luukos. It is a shame that the evil followers of Voln murder my lord's minions.

Actually I am very gratified to hear this - and I predominantly play characters that would be called evil. It does sound like it would prove to be a brilliant challenge to get some machinations going on, perhaps to bring down various factions without the obvious "EVVVIILLLLL mwahahahaha!111oneshift!" ranting and raving people tend to do if there's an evil character option.

Mmmmm plotting, scheming, and so on.

EDIT: Truth to WoW. I played Night Elves mostly - Night Elves that were Not Very Nice. Night Elves that were probably more evil than most. A whole group of us were the most bigoted, feral nasties you'd ever come across in Astranaar, raiding constantly into the Splintertree Logging camps solely to antagonise the other side into rping some skirmishes and battles. We hated orcs, we hated Forsaken, we hated Trolls, we even hated humans - and warlocks? Don't get me started on warlocks. Tauren earned a respectful nod, but ONLY just. Dwarves we looked in with disdain, but for the Wildhammers. We ignored gnomes as completely insignificant. In short, not the cute treehugging limpwrists most people made them out to be. They were reclusive, suspicious, and tended to shoot first and ask questions later if anyone was on their ancestral grounds. Honestly, I loved it, and miss it. Would love to have that again.

Trillian said:
Actually I am very gratified to hear this - and I predominantly play characters that would be called evil. It does sound like it would prove to be a brilliant challenge to get some machinations going on, perhaps to bring down various factions without the obvious "EVVVIILLLLL mwahahahaha!111oneshift!" ranting and raving people tend to do if there's an evil character option.

Mmmmm plotting, scheming, and so on.

EDIT: Truth to WoW. I played Night Elves mostly - Night Elves that were Not Very Nice. Night Elves that were probably more evil than most. A whole group of us were the most bigoted, feral nasties you'd ever come across in Astranaar, raiding constantly into the Splintertree Logging camps solely to antagonise the other side into rping some skirmishes and battles. We hated orcs, we hated Forsaken, we hated Trolls, we even hated humans - and warlocks? Don't get me started on warlocks. Tauren earned a respectful nod, but ONLY just. Dwarves we looked in with disdain, but for the Wildhammers. We ignored gnomes as completely insignificant. In short, not the cute treehugging limpwrists most people made them out to be. They were reclusive, suspicious, and tended to shoot first and ask questions later if anyone was on their ancestral grounds. Honestly, I loved it, and miss it. Would love to have that again.

Wouldn't necessarily call that evil. Better roleplay then the hugging and kissing and happy go lucky sterotype It is not uncommon for elves in general want to stick to their own kind. Racisit? Snobbish? Sure and that isn't a bad thing for roleplay.

There are alliances but those can be mildly tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even speak common since that would be an inferior language. What folks have to understand is what is said and done IC (In Character) is just that IC and not personal attacks.

It makes sense that you could tolerate the Tauren since they seem more in tune with their natural surroundings.

I would almost consider Warlocks Evil since they dabble with demons.

Zhelas said:
Wouldn't necessarily call that evil. Better roleplay then the hugging and kissing and happy go lucky sterotype It is not uncommon for elves in general want to stick to their own kind. Racisit? Snobbish? Sure and that isn't a bad thing for roleplay.

There are alliances but those can be mildly tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even speak common since that would be an inferior language. What folks have to understand is what is said and done IC (In Character) is just that IC and not personal attacks.

It makes sense that you could tolerate the Tauren since they seem more in tune with their natural surroundings.

I would almost consider Warlocks Evil since they dabble with demons.

You're right, we didn't speak common. We were using that language programme which you could select which languages you understood and which you didn't - and some of our druids didn't speak common at all. Most of us rarely stepped foot outside of Night Elf lands. Was it hard to do? Oh yeah. Raiding? Nearly impossible. Did we care? Not particularly. It was a blast.

Glory days....

Navarre said:
Speaking of this heroic journey, will a villainous journey be an option?

That depends. What's evil? What's good?

Your character probably won't be able to join the Burlorg and destroy civilization, so the "truly evil" option is not on the table. No poisoning babies or setting fire to puppy farms. (Then again, when the Burlorg do that they tend to believe that what they're doing is saving Elanthia and for the greater good...puppy over-population is a dangerous thing, after all, and should be strictly controlled. By fire. But I digress.)

Your character probably will be able to make choices as a Gearsmith ally that seriously annoy and vex the Arcanum. Hero to one side, not so much a hero to the other. It all depends on how you look at things.

Quest driven PvP? Or are we talking about no risk PvE?

Both. :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer
I don't think evil is as much in what you do as why you do it. Sure, we won't be great destroyers of civilization, but if somebody tends to play by doing things just for the sake of vexing or harming others, I would say that makes them an "evil" character. But if they can justify their actions, even if only to themselves, then they're not evil. If you think you're doing the right thing, then you can't really be a bad guy, but if you know what you're doing is wrong and that's WHY you do it, then you've earned yourself the right to be called "evil."

It's not your actions, its your intent.

Trillian said:
You're right, we didn't speak common. We were using that language programme which you could select which languages you understood and which you didn't - and some of our druids didn't speak common at all. Most of us rarely stepped foot outside of Night Elf lands. Was it hard to do? Oh yeah. Raiding? Nearly impossible. Did we care? Not particularly. It was a blast.

Glory days....

Bingo! Strange as it is, some folks would see this as evil. -shrugs-

Which of the following is evil?

A Paladin who worships one of the good dieties (Lorminstra) and all he/she will do is power hunt by killing undead creatures for the purpose of gaining levels and favor from Voln (a society which grants special skills in Gemstone 4).

or

A Necromancer (follower of Luukos and a member of the Council of Light) who provides 4 hrs of spell buffs on other characters freely. Rescues them when they die. Mentors lower trained characters.

The answer really depends on the reasoning behind someone's actions. But quite easily both could be considered evil.

My favorite 'evil' moment in all MMOs was when I was in EQ 1. There's a quest where you get an item.. "So and so's baby!" Seriously, it was a quest out of Blackburrow I believe and you were supposed to return the baby to a cabin nearby. WELP.. My rogue Viad DeMad kept the thing in his bank for a year. Then he put it up on the bazzar until they made nontrade items not viewable there. Then he trying to trade it to folks when they asked 'do u hav ne food?' You won't see that much more in MMOs.

In Gemstone IV they released the adventurers guild and one of the tasks was to go rescue a child in one of the most dangerous places inside a volcano on Teras. Why the heck a child was exploring in there who knows. My character figured the town folk wanted to sacrifice the dwarven child and at the last moment changed their mind.

My dark elf and another sorcerer, on the other hand, thought the sacrifice would be a good thing and we killed the child in the name of Luukos. Once the child was dead, we wanted to study the corpse and see if we could animate it. Alas we were not able to animate the dead child. However, my sorcerer thought the knowledge was invaluable and let others in his profession know.

Ah good times. It would definately have been interesting if we brought the animated child to the parents. Here you are Mr and Mrs. Dwarf. Your child will smell a bit and don't mind him if he eats the dog.

:D

Luciro said:
My favorite 'evil' moment in all MMOs was when I was in EQ 1. There's a quest where you get an item.. "So and so's baby!" Seriously, it was a quest out of Blackburrow I believe and you were supposed to return the baby to a cabin nearby. WELP.. My rogue Viad DeMad kept the thing in his bank for a year. Then he put it up on the bazzar until they made nontrade items not viewable there. Then he trying to trade it to folks when they asked 'do u hav ne food?' You won't see that much more in MMOs.

Funniest thing I've ever heard in an MMO. *clap*

Back