EXP Absorbtion in HJ

I doubt they will make HJ too hardcore. Just as long as they don't go and make it so easy and brain dead as WoW it should be okay.

I like both GS's and DR's systems. Both require you to take a break and actually INTERACT with people (or do something else).

Additionally... in GS, if your mind is full (meaning your field experience meter hit its full capacity), and you rest in the field, it drains slower than if you were in town in a "node" (maybe the central hub of the city: Town Square or in a tavern).

Social interaction all around. Yay RP.

What's strange to me though is all the things you can do while waiting for your mind to clear create so much screen scroll you wouldn't dare do them in a social area.

Gemstone is very disorganized and ill planned. Still a fun game though.

I'm kinda hoping HJ will be hardcore, I hate mindless games. I like planning my character, and planning for situations, as well as having plans in case those fail.

That being said, I hate raids. Boring. Oh god the tedium. Gear should be attainable, good gear, without raids. Without camping, and without 0.001% droprates. Rare stuff shouldn't be so much better than uncommon stuff that nobody wants the uncommon stuff.

I liked better planning for equipping ranked equipment. Like in Anarchy online, you'd put in implants and get buffs to wear gear higher level than what you could otherwise, and swapped out your implants to better your battle skills afterwards. If you went too high with the buffs, when they ran out if your skill was a certain percentage lower than the requirements to equip beforesaid gear, it was at 50% effectiveness.

That, tradeskilling, socializing, or making money offering other players your service abilities would be acceptable means of letting your head rest.

Of course, with the Wyr system, there won't be a lot of equipments, but I'm sure there will be a decent amount of buffs, so... it's something to consider. I like games where you occasionally need a certain class, but not games where you entirely rely on groups of class A + class B + class C x2 and so on.

Pinn's two cents on how "gear" should be...

Rare gear needs to be special, but not over powering. Make it do a neat trick. Make it have a neat history. Make it something to brag about besides that it gives this huge stat bonus. Make it a trophy before a godly piece of armor. If it is godly, make it so there is only one of it and it has a time duration before it comes off the character and they have to get it again.

Common gear(or what some people consider "uncommon", I'm only going by special stuff here) should be useful, but plain in some capacity. They should be good so the characters are not limited by having only them, but not showy so that there is a reason to want the rarer things.

Pinn's two cents on how "gear" should be...

Rare gear needs to be special, but not over powering. Make it do a neat trick. Make it have a neat history. Make it something to brag about besides that it gives this huge stat bonus. Make it a trophy before a godly piece of armor. If it is godly, make it so there is only one of it and it has a time duration before it comes off the character and they have to get it again.

Common gear(or what some people consider "uncommon", I'm only going by special stuff here) should be useful, but plain in some capacity. They should be good so the characters are not limited by having only them, but not showy so that there is a reason to want the rarer things.

I agree with you here.

This is one area that I think DR does really well at.

For the most part the best "stat" gear is player made stuff that is accessible to all (with a little work). Its plain and boring (A broadsword), but it gets the job done.

However, the more rare items (Fest type stuff) has the nice looks (A jagged-edged broadsword with an ebony pommel shaped in the form of a wolf's head). But even though its cool looks, it doesn’t perform any better then plain old broadsword (and in some cases worse)

I think this concept would really work well in HJ as well. The uber raider guy can still have his glowy spiked sword of death that came from a once in a life time event. He can still show off to others how much time he spent raiding the local bandits or whatever, but at the end of the day he will not perform in battle any better then the guy with the plain metal sword with no glowies or spikes.

The only thing that would make one better then the other is just skill.

This would also open up some RP opportunities.. You know that old man that always has an old beat up sword on his side. He is very quiet and keeps to himself, until the town is under attack by some evil something or another (carrying that glowy spiked sword of death). The quiet man just soundly thrashes him and goes about his day.

One of my favorite moments like that was in DR, quite a few years ago.

Once witnessed an Empath was being bullied by a completely overly powerful barbarian. He was being an absolute heel to everyone, going so far as to demand to be healed when he got wounded in a duel with someone who took offense at his horrible behavior, but the Empath sided with the defeated duelist and refused to heal the jerk. So he flew at the Empath in a rage and tried to kill her.

Pity he didn't know she was a battle empath. She completely dodged all of his attacks with no effort for a moment, all the while telling him repeated to disengage and leave, and when he wouldn't stop, she put him to sleep. Then a couple of cheering spectators dragged him out into the wilderness and left him for the badies to play with. Sweet justice.

~Dune~

Ahh, good old DR vigilante justice. I've a couple stories myself, but I lack the patience to tell you all about them.

That is one thing I liked a lot about Dragonrealms though, a ranger can start the game with nothing, pick up someone's trash longbow they carved, and pick up a longsword or broadsword in reavers, as well as some decent leather armor, and go off and hunt. They would be viable, and could use this equipment for many, many circles to come. Didn't spend a copper of their starting money either. Might as well just use it to pay off that debt or buy a handful of arrows and a quiver.

Anyway, MMORPGs have really shunned this concept, and I disagree with it. Skill trumps gear, always. What good is this glowy spikey huge sword if you don't know how to swing it? I think we should take the emphasis off levels, and put it into how much you actually train your character to do a certain task.

So perhaps one day we can stray away from this whole.. hey he's level 3, must be a noob -- way of thinking.

I'm sure lots of folks would want to limit their level just to trick folks into accepting a duel. Of course, botting and macroing could become a problem, but only if HJ isn't intuitively designed to the point where that sort of activity is just impossible.

For example, a complicated battle system like the one in DR would be great. Balance, fatigue, and combat advantage should be considered. Something too complicated for a bot to figure out, as well as a way of breaking away from the autoattack feature that was boring and drawn out when it was introduced in the dark ages of MMORPGs. (Ultima Online? Was that the first? anyway...)

Of course, Age of Conan is doing just that, but I know Simu has the tools to make even that complex combat system look rudimentary.

All in all though, I agree with this concept of "rare" loots being nice, but not necessary at all. I'm sure some folks would much more appreciate for once in their gaming careers *not* having to brandish a fiendish yet unwieldy looking hunk of metal, in favor of RP, as well as fairness to the folks who prefer to play alone or with one or two trusted individuals.

Let's face it, in popular games like WoW, you can't compete with the general population unless you're in, or have been in, a good guild that raids a lot. That's why I don't play WoW, forcing me to play with other folks I don't know or like isn't fun, it's frustrating. Give a player the choice to not play with folks they'd rather not play with, and I'll bet they keep payin those monthly fees.

Mmm, I agree with the need to break the concept of low level = noob.

As with most of my examples (*grins*), here's another from DR. Anywho, with thieves, one of the most important things to learn about attempting to pick pockets is how to gauge people. Yeah, there is an in game mechanic for sizing up a mark, but even that is risky, because if someone is skilled enough, they can notice you sizing them up and will take action.

So what you really have to master is looking someone over in terms of their appearance and working with that. But looks can be deceiving, and you never quite know what you'll get yourself into. That noobish seeming person might be half blind, or they might just be luring you into a trap.
  • So the fellow wrapped in a cloak of shadows which makes his features and gear indiscernable? Yeah, that cloak is a high-end item to begin with, plus you honestly have no info on them, so you don't bother.
  • Well, how about that lass there with semi-decent gear? She looks middle level, and you can probably manage. But oh, she's a ranger, she probably uses perception as a survival skill requirement for her circling. Hmm, might be tough.
  • Ahh, a young paladin! Practically free gold. Just not very much.
  • And that dwarven commoner without too much good gear? Looks like a fine mar... Oh cripes! He saw you! Run! *Wham!* Oooh! Good eyes, and an even better throwing arm! I bet that hurt!
~Dune~

The other day, I was playing WoW... Deadmines group. We all know PUGs can be bad, but this person was fighting me every step of the way. I ask a question at the start of all groups. "What are your professions?" It's nto an important question by what they answer, although it can be useful, but by the fact that they do answer. I won't let people who won't communicate in party chat in my groups.

Anyhow, I asked the question, same as I always do. This person will not answer, so I whisper them, asking them why they won't answer. They ask for the question repeated, I say it and tell them to answer in party chat because it's actually my policy to kick people who will not answer the question in party chat. This is the start of badness. I explain the reason, but we're already on bad terms. Then this person has the gal to later ask me "What's your highest level character?" I tell them "62." "Ah, well I have a 70, so settle down."

Since when did levels become status symbols? I've never used them as an indication of character before unless it was like "Ah, level 1 night elf dancing on top of mailbox.." or "Level 1 Askdjfu running into major city. Probably a bot." When did this silly trend of "I have a higher level character than you, I rule you" start?

Something that still bugs me.... And the person left after needing a couple Defias pieces. Apparently 70 levels never taught manners.

Since when did levels become status symbols?

To my mind it never "started," human nature just carried ego into leveling. In game many people obsess over gear, levels, special mounts or tabards or whatnot as marks of "achievement." Proof that they are better than -someone- else out there. In real life people do the same thing with clothes, cars, entertainment centers, job titles, etc. People want to win life just like they want to win MMOs... and it's impossible to win either since both are ongoing and ever expanding. On the internet I think the problem is actually magnifying because if you are an egotistical bastard in real-life, it can have everlasting repercussions. But online you can be an anonymous egotistical bastard and it doesn't harm your real reputation in the least.

To my mind it never "started," human nature just carried ego into leveling. In game many people obsess over gear, levels, special mounts or tabards or whatnot as marks of "achievement." Proof that they are better than -someone- else out there. In real life people do the same thing with clothes, cars, entertainment centers, job titles, etc. People want to win life just like they want to win MMOs... and it's impossible to win either since both are ongoing and ever expanding. On the internet I think the problem is actually magnifying because if you are an egotistical bastard in real-life, it can have everlasting repercussions. But online you can be an anonymous egotistical bastard and it doesn't harm your real reputation in the least.

Well, there's that, and because there's absolutely no chance of the other person punching you. I think that's what makes alot of people act so rude. Lack of fear.

Fine arguments for things like DragonRealms: The Fallen.

I've spoken of it before, but hey, it seems to work. Create a version of the game with no rules. All the mannerless people congregate there and enjoy playing their own way, and all the people who don't like to play that way stay on the normal servers. Win-win.

~Dune~

Back