Fool's Paradise

jess

Zzzzz
Title: Fool's Paradise
Author: me :D
Disclaimer: Don't own it. Don't sue.
Summary: Set after Unveiled when Vaughn discovers that Lauren is the mole for the Covenant. It goes AU after that as Vaughn deals with the betrayal by pushing everyone away and shutting down emotionally. Is there anyone that can make him feel again?
A/N: I couldn't let this fic sit on my computer for any longer and while I promised myself I would finish writing all the chapters before posting it, I'm weak so now I'm posting it, lol. It's unbeta'd so all mistakes are mine.

I think I've bitten more than I can chew. I start a fic when I have exams in a week :doh: Also, I'm a slow writer :blush: so I'll try my best with updating at regular intervals.

Finally, this has also been posted at sd-1.net.

----------------------
Chapter One
----------------------

Nothing.

The void that fills a black hole…the abyss that occupies the depths of the ocean.

Feel nothing.

Incarceration to a prison cell devoid of everything but nothingness; a plague upon my life, incapacitating my ability to feel; a malignant tumor growing inside, eliminating not only the pain and despair but also the joy and ecstasy of life.

I feel nothing.

The solution to my problem…

The cure to my disease…

------------------------------------------------

“Any problems, Agent Vaughn?”

“No sir.”

“Very well. You’re dismissed.”

I rise from my chair in unison with Dixon and obediently push the chair to its designated position beneath the long conference table. To avoid conversation with Dixon - the only other occupant in the debriefing room - I attempt to loosen the vice grip my tie has on my airway.

“Vaughn.” Dixon’s voice reverberates in the sterile debriefing room, bouncing off the blank walls, halting my actions and thoughts. Looking in his eyes I see understanding, mixed with pity and a touch of condolence creating a cocktail of sympathy. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Is he sorry for the loss of my wife and normal life? The wife who betrayed my trust I pledged on our wedding day? The woman who is now a wanted fugitive because she deceived her country, conned the government, and exploited the fragile emotional state of a lonely man? Is he sorry for the two years I lost with Sydney? Sorry that those two years are irretrievable and are forever lost in the perpetual motion of time? Or is he sorry for the man that once had purpose and reason is now nothing more than the void that fills a black hole?

Is he sorry that I am now a man who feels nothing?

“Thank you.” The two words are dry of emotion and lacking gratitude making the expression hollow. Dixon mutely nods in recognition and is also his form of a goodbye before exiting through the door that serves as both an entrance and exit. I return to my original task of loosening my tie as I remove my presence from the debriefing room leaving it vacant - something my heart is familiar with.

Stepping out in one of the hallways of the labyrinth of the Joint Task Facility, I let my eyes scan the scenery before me; agents, analysts, and strategists are buzzing around with multiple tasks on mind like programmed worker bees.

And in every one of my colleagues I see her.

I see her deceit carved into every bare wall; the graffiti is a constant reminder of my failure. I can smell her treachery in every room, the rancid odour polluting the air making breathing arduous. I can hear her fallacies echoing in every corridor, her fictitious affections slapping me in the face.

A junior analyst engrossed with a seemingly important file collides into my form sending papers airborne as they escape the firm hold of several paper clips. Disinterestedly but somewhat annoyed I focus my attention to the panicky analyst as she struggles to reclaim the papers reveling in their freedom as they flutter towards the ground. The analyst mutters disjointed phrases of regret, but only the blondeness of her hair registers in my mind igniting a multitude of memories and emotions of a person I rather forget. As a sign of her remorse, she briefly touches my arm, but I quickly recoil from the contact not so much because I refuse physical proximity with everyone, but because her physical familiarity to Lauren makes my blood boil.

I unconsciously shudder at the memory of Lauren’s provocative caresses, her seductive touches, her (literally) devilish stroking…

It feels like acid burning my skin to know that none of it was real and - more painfully - all of it was done to manipulate me. Since she has left her fingers no longer inflame my skin as they dance around my body but her actions have left scars for me to bear and for everyone to see my inadequacy.

Don’t loose control. Don’t let her win.

Several deep breaths quell the angered emotions running rampant in my mind and they dissipate into the ether. Putting one foot in front of the other I build up momentum as I walk into the heart of the JTF, crossing the turbulent room to arrive at my orderly desk where several files sit untouched. Under the collar of my business shirt my tie rests half done and I habitually wipe my hand across the expanse of my forehead, but the infamous wrinkles no longer reside there as I feel the smoothness of my skin.

“Uh, Mr. Vau – I mean, Agent Vaughn.” I hear Marshall attempt to gain my attention while nervously fiddling with the latest gadget he has built for the CIA. “Hi, how are you? I just, uh, wanted to see how you were doing given what happened in the past week. Just thinking about it, it makes sense why Lauren kept her maiden name…” Marshall prattles on as I stare at him blankly but make no effort to halt his ramblings. “I never thought Reed was as catchy as Vaughn but of course that comes down to personal preference and…I’m not really helping am I?” He finishes rather meekly and looks down at the gadget in his hands in embarrassment.

“I’m fine Marshall.” I try applying my best pseudo smile but my half-hearted attempt results in a lazy curving of my lips. “Thanks for asking.”

Retreating to his desk Marshall offers one last comment. “You’re very welcome. And it’s good to see you smile again.”

Watching Marshall disappear in the commotion of the JTF Jack crosses my line of sight and before I can divert my gaze he catches my stare and saunters towards me. The thought of Jack walking towards me use to make me squeamish and I would feel like a child who just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but that was before I stopped caring about repercussions and responsibilities; before I stopped caring.

“Agent Vaughn, you’ve finished your debrief with Dixon?” I notice Jack’s customary cold, detached gaze is warmer than what he usually uses with me and I slightly nod my head in response.

“Good.” Jack states but I sense he wants to say more as he discreetly shifts under the scrutiny of my waiting gaze. “Having experience a similar duplicity from a trusted one myself, I understand what you are feeling. And while I have always had my daughter’s happiness and well-being as my first priority, it is evident that her happiness equates to you.”

I let Jack’s words soak in and the revelation of his admission swirls in my mind but it never settles down. “Do you really believe that Jack?”

“Yes.” Direct, concise and confident.

“Then you’re not as perceptive as I believed you to be.”

Unfazed by my frosty attitude, Jack perseveres. “I know I have been less than thrilled at the thought of you and Sydney developing an intimate relationship outside the role of coworkers.” I raise my eyebrows curiously at Jack’s gross understatement. “But even I have learnt that some things are inevitable.”

“So it was inevitable that I was going to betray Sydney no matter what happened?”

“Sydney needs you. There is only so much I can do for her.” Jack conveniently avoids my question and his insistence intensifies. “You’re indifference will not stop the pain nor will it stop Sydney worrying about you. Do you really think your decision to - ”

“I’m fine.” Finally growing tiresome of Jack’s speech I cut him off, as I am eager to be left alone. “Thank you for expressing your concern. I’ll take it into consideration.” With that I turn away from Jack not giving him the opportunity to respond.

Unnerved by my insouciance Jack gives one last comment. “I thought you should know that we have a new lead on Lauren.”

“Good to hear.” I reply disinterestedly as I feel his stern eyes survey me in scrutiny one final time before respecting my wishes and leaving me to my isolation.

No more than a few minutes pass before Weiss happens to stumble by my desk. “You talked to Jack?” Weiss stands beside my desk as I slowly lift my eyes to him, impartially acknowledging his presence, but I let silence greet his question, which forces him to press the question further. “Did he tell you we have a new lead on your wi – I mean, Lauren?”

I don’t flinch at Weiss’s accidental slip of the tongue and reply in a clipped tone. “He did.”

“And?” Weiss retrieves a vacant chair from an adjacent desk and sits next to mine so he can be eye level with me.

I stop rifling through my files and look at Weiss pointedly, a stern expression residing on my face as I impatiently wait for Weiss to elaborate so I can finally be left alone for more than five minutes.

“You’re not even vaguely interested in what’s happening?”

“She’s already wasted two years of my life.” I state, my exterior remaining surprisingly placid in such an emotionally heavy topic. “Why should I waste anymore time on her?”

“You know you can say her name.” Weiss’s sincerity exudes from his eyes and in every word but it only fuels my annoyance as I give an austere glare. “Seriously Mike, you don’t really care what happens?”

“I don’t care.” The truth is, I don’t care what happens to that b**** because I don’t care about anything anymore. I have learnt that emotional deficiency is paradise; that the nothingness filling my being prohibits the pain from battering my ruined heart. Weiss is completely oblivious to the double meaning of my answer and continues to persevere.

“Not even a little?”

“Are you done?” I ask almost exasperatedly as I slowly become perturbed by Weiss’s insistent prying. “I’m busy.”

I’m not the only one irritated by this futile bantering as Weiss shares his feelings. “Mike, you have to get out this…this rut! I know you’re feeling burnt from Lauren’s betrayal, we’re all feeling the same thing but you can’t go on living like this.”

“I haven’t gone back to drinking if that’s what you’re talking about.”

“What I’m talking about is you shutting down emotionally, pushing everyone away…it’s not the way to deal with this.”

“I see nothing wrong with it.” I speak the truth to Weiss with the hope that he would have some inkling of the immense, chronic pain of betrayal and that the only cure is to cease all feeling…to feel nothing.

“You can’t lock up all your feelings inside. You need to vent or else – “

“Contrary to what you think, I’m dealing with it just fine” I look at Weiss steadily for the first time in our conversation and I see his distraught of slowly losing his best friend to the grasp of darkness.

“That’s not true, you and I both know it.” Weiss leans in closer, desperation clinging to every word he speaks as he remembers losing his long time friend once and he will do everything humanely possible for it not to recur.

“Weiss just let it go.” I control the irritation from seeping into my words while I stack my files in a neat pile. “If I feel the need to cry I’ll give you a call.”

Leaning back on the chair Weiss eyes me suspiciously but remains silent knowing further argument is futile in spite of his dissatisfaction and desperation. “If you’re not gonna open up to me,” he rises from the chair and smoothes out his jacket, concluding his parting statement before leaving, “I know someone who you will open up to.”

I stare at Weiss quizzically not enjoying his cryptic comment but there is no need for me to decipher his message as I feel her presence fill the crowded JTF when she enters. There is no need for me to turn around to see her walking towards me for I can feel her presence strengthening with each passing second. I close my eyes to focus my energy on filtering her aura out of my system; I try not to let her presence penetrate the carcass of my soul.

It is a well-known fact that I have been avoiding Sydney for the past week. Ever since we found out who the mole was for the Covenant I have been keeping maximum distance and minimal contact between her and I. She knows the game I am playing - I have played it before. The rules are still the same and so is the aim of the game: stop hurting Sydney.

But I can’t help the sensation of her close proximity enchanting my heart; I can’t stop the rampaging emotions escaping from the prison of my heart to begin coursing throughout my body; I can’t ignore the deafening pounding of my heartbeat in my ears. The amalgamation of sensations is almost overwhelming my logic and rationality…almost dispelling the sting and heartache…almost.

You’re doing this for Sydney’s own good. It’s always for Sydney.

Opening my eyes I let reality sink in. I harden my features, detain my emotions, and reinforce the wall I have built around my dilapidated heart as I wait for the inevitable to arrive.

“Vaughn, can we talk?”

-------------------------

Thanks for reading :smiley:

Should I leave it there or TBC? :P

That was so well written! :smiley:
I already love your story! :love:
I think it´s very realistic, the same happens with Vaughn in the show kinda! :thinking:
Can I please get a PM! ;)
You are really an amazing writer! (y)

Muse

EEEHEE! I think it's awsome! ^_^ I think I've finally found a fic that I like on here. ;) It's totally lovely.

I really liked the beginning where it was ambiguous like Vaughn's inner thoughts. ^_^ And I am totally in love with your description of Vaughn's thoughts of the description of himself (*rereads* hmmm ... does that make sense? ;) ) You can totally feel that he's completely lost and in denial about the whole thing even though he thinks that he's over it. ;)

“I never thought Reed was as catchy as Vaughn but of course that comes down to personal preference and…I’m not really helping am I?” He finishes rather meekly and looks down at the gadget in his hands in embarrassment.

:lol: Marshall's just great, he's such a social imbecil. But then again that's why he's so great. ^_^

Watching Marshall disappear in the commotion of the JTF Jack crosses my line of sight and before I can divert my gaze he catches my stare and saunters towards me.

:rotflmao: Please, do me a favor but PLEASE dont' ever say "Jack sauntered" at all! :lol: It just reminds me of Victor Garber in the Season 3 blooper where he acted like a girl with that funny face and what's worse is that it's VG like that sauntering! AHHHH :thud:

:mellow:

:lol:

“What I’m talking about is you shutting done emotionally, pushing everyone away…it’s not the way to deal with this.”

that would be down not done :P I don't think you can shut done emotionally or in any other way, shape or form. :P

“Vaughn, can we talk?”

DUN DUN DUN! :Ph34r:

PM plz! :D
--Mandy :angelic:

A/N: Sorry that the update took so long. I decided to start writing a fic during exams which isn’t the smartest thing to do :P But here’s the new chapter. I apologise in advance for the ‘below par’ quality of this chapter. I lost my muse half-way through :banghead: and writing a good chunk of description is hard to do without a muse.

Thanks to all those who reviewed :smiley: Reviews are good for the muse. Oh, and thanks Mandy for noticing that typo. Vaughn is shutting down emotionally, not shutting done :lol:

Hope you enjoy!

----------------------
Chapter Two
----------------------

”Vaughn, can we talk?”

The inevitable has arrived and its time for me to face the music. I mutely nod my head and my feet feel like lead as I shuffle behind Sydney who strides to a secluded room. Once inside the room and seconds after I have shut the door Sydney begins her barrage.

“How are you?”

I refrain from sighing and exposing my exasperation at being asked that question one too many times within the space of ten minutes. “Fine.”

“I hear we have a new lead on Lauren.”

“We do.”

“Have you looked into it yet?”

“No.”

Sydney’s posture loosens and her once crossed arms fall dejectedly to her sides as I watch her through despondent eyes. “I understand.” She nods her head slightly and casts her eyes downwards before forcing herself to make eye contact with me. “No one should ever have to hunt down their wife.”

As soon as the word, “wife” tumbles helplessly out of her mouth regret immediately fills her eyes and she attempts to retract her statement, but it is in vain as the word rapidly fills the tiny room. I feel more than see her formulating an apology, but due to my anticipation I raise my hand effectively stopping her before her lips can even form the words.

“It’s OK. She’s not my wife anymore.” I look straight into her eyes but I refrain from stating that Lauren may have been my wife but she was never my soul mate. “No one should have to hunt down their wife just like no one should hunt down their mother.”

“That was different.” Sydney argues weakly.

“Yeah, it’s more painful to hunt your mother down after believing she had reverted to the good side.” I state pointedly.

As expected the conversation was never going to be easy and its currently going nowhere. After all we have been through; how much we have hurt one another; there isn’t much to say and certainly nothing we want to discuss at this moment. “Well, if we’re done talking I’m going to go.”

Sydney understands the awkwardness of the situation as much as I do and realizes that our conversations will have more tribulations than the norm. With a final nod I turn towards the door but as I reach for the door handle Sydney calls for me.

“Michael.”

How much I longed to hear those two precise syllables to be coated by her honey sweet voice. I forgot the undeniable power she has over me, so much so that a dejected man like myself can feel a small spark of feeling ignite in him once again. The last time I remember her calling me by my first name…

I turn to face her but make no attempt to walk towards her. I already let myself get closer to her emotionally and I fear if I extend that to the physical realm I won’t be able to keep my promise of detaching myself completely from her.

“If you ever need to talk…” She trails off as she attempts to stop the tears from falling.

I harden my features and control the instinct to hold Sydney from arms to stop her from falling apart. It’s a hard battle to be fought with an emotionally battered Sydney yearning for comfort on any level. If I surrender then I am weak; nothing more than a man who wants to please his own comforts. If I embrace Sydney, I am afraid I will hurt her again, but I am more afraid that I won’t be able to let her go.

“I know.” I respond so softly I wonder if she heard me at all.

Taking a few seconds to compose herself, she slightly nods at my response and reveals an inkling of her deepest thoughts. “I wish things could go back to the way they were. Things were normal before…everything.”

“I don’t think there has ever been a normal for you.” My comment evokes a small smile from her, but it disappears quickly with my following comment. “And there’s never been a normal for us.”

“There have been moments…” Sydney begins, obviously hurt by my comment.

“Which don’t even begin to make up for what we’ve been through.” I finish off poignantly.

“For all that we’ve been through, it made the normal moments together worth it.”

Looking deeply into Sydney’s eyes I see her begging for me to open up emotionally. I then realize that I have stayed here longer than I should have. The first step to detachment is to spend as little time with Sydney as possible and I’m currently not adhering to my rules. Sydney notices the connection that she was attempting to make rudely fall to pieces as I abruptly turn to the door and regain the cold stare I have been using with everyone.

“It’s getting late. I’m gonna go.” Sydney clearly sees through my lame excuse but has no time to respond as I have already left her standing alone with our troubles still unresolved.

Soft raindrops patter quietly on the car’s windscreen and are periodically wiped away to clear my view of the gloomy road ahead. Light emanating from the street lamps and the oncoming traffic shine harshly against the dark backdrop of the stormy night sky, and thunder rumbles in the distance signalling its approach. As the soft raindrops increase in weight falling harder than their quiet patter a few minutes earlier, I contemplate how the dismal weather reflects my life at this moment of time.

I turn off the main road to enter a cozy street lined with houses epitomizing the American dream: a border of pristine white picket fences sectioning off the perfectly manicured front lawns which are littered by various children’s toys. I park my car in the driveway of my house that sits snuggly at the end of the cul-de-sac road, but it does not reflect the warmth or comfort my neighbours offer. Weeds plague the front lawn, dirt and debris cover the driveway and front porch, and the only reason why I still live here is because Weiss’s couch is too uncomfortable to sleep on.

My house is no longer a home. Reflecting on the past I realise it was never a home to begin with.

The rain completely soaks my suit so the material uncomfortably clings to my body, but I take my time to retreat into my house because there is no one inside waiting for me. I stand silently in the rain hoping that it will cleanse my heart and wash away the pain, but it has become so heavy that I am not able to discern the rain from my tears. After a few minutes, my body starts to shiver indicating its need for warmth and I reluctantly walk to my house. Unlocking the front door I step into the foyer and unceremoniously hang my drenched jacket on the coat hanger by the door. I cast my eyes to the mirror hanging nearby and gaze intently at the unrecognisable man tortured by betrayal and conflict.

Suddenly, the mirror fractures into countless pieces of skewed reflections of myself as sharp cracks radiate out from the epicenter of the destruction. Blood oozes from the numerous cuts where shards of mirror have sliced my skin; the red river flows down my fingers, pooling where my fist makes contact with the broken mirror to finally cascade down like heavy raindrops. The blood faintly hits the solid, wooden floor and I watch the patterns painted by the drops – each drop falling as frequently as tears.

Sighing deeply I move my fist under the light provided by a table lamp to observe the damage and casually remove the visible shards of glass penetrating my skin. A trail of blood follows me like a trail of breadcrumbs as I walk to the kitchen to wash off my newly acquired wound under the ice-cold water rushing out from the tap. I look out the kitchen window to see storm clouds ominously rumbling in discontent as my blood mixes with the water to form a diluted red liquid, which eventually swirls down the drain.

Satisfied that all the blood has been washed off I turn off the tap and retrieve a cloth hanging nearby to serve as a temporary bandage. With my physical and emotional energy drained I shuffle towards the couch but I momentarily stop at the fridge to obtain a case of beer I bought the day before. Flopping down on the couch I stare at the beer standing obediently on the coffee table and I wonder if I should use my “emergency kit” now.

I shouldn’t…

Weiss’s concerns swirl around in my mind, resonating at a deafening volume.

But I don’t care.

The painful throbbing emanating from my cut and blooded hand is only a stronger incentive to drown my sorrows and become numb to the world. Caving in like the weak and dispirited man that I am, I push all thoughts aside, reach for the beer, and take a generous swig. I feel the bitter liquor burn my insides and I drink another mouthful to counteract the foul aftertaste.

The worries of reality flow away as easily as the flowing of alcohol out of the bottle – one beer turns into two and before two hours have passed I can no longer count. Sinking further into the couch I slowly feel the numbness of slumber overriding the pandemonium of reality and I am transported to a place where dreams don’t exist. I no longer dream because they don’t come true.

TBC...

Thanks for reading the latest chapter. More to come soon!

Oh, and here's the current PM list:
Addicted 2 Alias
tunita
German Muse
sexcivaughan14
mightylittleone
Alias_Day
AliasChica316
alias_luver
wanttobew/MV
mystery_chick
Sydney Bristow 2300844
loislane_chet
!n@$en+

That was so amazing. Sorry, but I have to lift my jaw off the floor now. So wonderful! PLEASE PM me too, and soon!

Ohhh.. that was beautiful jess! I just totally loved Vaughn's way of total detachment. ;) He needs to realize that being alone is YUCKY! :lol:

“No one should ever have to hunt down their wife.”

:Ph34r: Makes you think whether if she said that purposely or not eh? :lol:
"blah blah blah your wife!" whoops that was a mistake! :P :lol:

“Michael.”

How much I longed to hear those two precise syllables to be coated by her honey sweet voice. I forgot the undeniable power she has over me, so much so that a dejected man like myself can feel a small spark of feeling ignite in him once again. The last time I remember her calling me by my first name…

:naughty: Hmmm... If i remember correctly the last time that she said his first name.... :naughty:

“I don’t think there has ever been a normal for you.” My comment evokes a small smile from her, but it disappears quickly with my following comment. “And there’s never been a normal for us.”

Dude! now that was cold. mean. cruel. evil! BAD VAUGHN! :whip: That's so not true! :hmm: You need to whip him into shape jess. :P

“It’s getting late. I’m gonna go.” Sydney clearly sees through my lame excuse but has no time to respond as I have already left her standing alone with our troubles still unresolved.

:hmm: tsk tsk. Bad Vaughn. :torch:

Suddenly, the mirror fractures into countless pieces of skewed reflections of myself as sharp cracks radiate out from the epicenter of the destruction. Blood oozes from the numerous cuts where shards of mirror have sliced my skin; the red river flows down my fingers, pooling where my fist makes contact with the broken mirror to finally cascade down like heavy raindrops. The blood faintly hits the solid, wooden floor and I watch the patterns painted by the drops – each drop falling as frequently as tears.

oooh I really liked that. Though isn't it a little sadomasichiost (sp?) of Vaughn to just punch his mirror out because he's a little pissed? :blink: :thinking: I'm afraid of Vaughn now....

I no longer dream because they don’t come true.
:cry: awwww :cry:

That was beautiful jess! I want to feel sorry for Vaughn but.... ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

Man, damn that was so good! :smiley:
I love your style, so poetic and distinctive! (y)
Really amazing how you can put feelings/emotions in words!
Thanks for the PM! ;)
Much luck with your exams! :smiley:

Muse

Jess wrote a fanfic?? where was i when this happened?? but dude im glad that i finally found it, its goooood. Dang hun i didnt know that you could write!! so talented! Feel free to put me on the PM list!!

Caz :D

Oh and just so i know, is Vaughn gonna get happier because im really feeling the need to give him a hug right now. Normally not a bad thing but seeing as its an impossible dream... torture right now!!

Back