For Better or Worse

Chapter 7
Over the phone, Sydney informed her husband of her room number and instructed him to come right up when he arrived. He did just that and, after knocking twice, Sydney opened the door wearing a smile, a nice black top and jeans. “Hi,” Michael said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Hi,” she echoed. His tone was short, which concerned her. True, he was there, but perhaps he was still irked that she had not invited him in the first place. For that, she could not blame him entirely, but was hoping to make up for that misstep. “Did you get Henry squared away?”

Michael nodded as he set his duffle bag down at the foot of the bed beside Sydney’s. “Yeah, I took him to my parent’s house along with the air mattress. Mom says he’s going to have a campout on the living room floor with Dad,” Michael said with a slight laugh.

“I’m sure he’ll have a blast,” Sydney smiled softly. Michael nodded in agreement as he sunk down onto the edge of the bed. Sydney left the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the hotel room door, so the bed was still in complete disarray since, when sleeping alone in a bed, Sydney was rather fitful in slumber.

She sat down on the bed beside her husband and laced her fingers through his. “Thanks for coming. I…I was stupid before; I should have invited you from the start I just…I had to get away,” she admitted.

He glanced up at her and asked, “Why?” He wondered what her motives were for being so secretive. If she had been in such dire need for an escape, why had she not been entirely truthful with him before?

“Because I was so tired. I was just so, so exhausted and…and I’m starting to resent Henry for what he’s doing and I know it’s not his fault – I know that. I know he can’t help it, but I was just so, so tired I thought I was going to lose my mind. I still think I am I just…I needed a break,” she told him honestly.

Michael pulled his hand out of her grasp as he stood off the bed. He folded his arms across his chest and looked down at his feet and asked, “So…so you wanted a break from us?”

“NO!” she exclaimed loudly, now horrified. “No, no of course not! I would never…I mean, I could hardly even spend one night without you –I called you when I was only gone twelve hours and I thought about you in all that time!” she exclaimed. “Why would you think that?!”

“You just said-”

“I meant I needed a break from waking up at two am every day to change the sheets on our son’s bed!” she exclaimed. “I don’t want a break from us…do you?” she asked carefully.

Michael looked up and met her eyes, shaking his head. “No,” he said simply.

“Good; don’t scare me like that,” she sighed, leaning forward and pressing her face into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

“You should have told me how you were feeling,” Michael said to her.

“Why?” she asked rather rhetorically. “You were getting up too; we were both exhausted.”

“I know but… but we should have talked about it before it got this bad. I mean, we can come up with a solution…” he said rather weakly, for he had absolutely no ideas on what could possibly resolve their issue.

“What Michael, what?” Sydney said, almost snapping as she pulled out of his embrace. “We’ve tried everything we can think of and nothing has worked. We’re both frustrated and so is Henry. I just… I don’t know what to do anymore,” she sighed as she flopped down on the bed.

“Well, setting the alarm was working,” Michael said hopefully.

“Define working,” Sydney said rather bitterly.

“You weren’t doing laundry,” Michael pointed out. Sydney gave a conceding nod. “Maybe we could keep doing that for a week, and then just set the alarm in Henry’s room so he can get up all by himself – he’s old enough. Maybe if we do that for a few weeks then Henry will be conditioned to wake up in the middle of the night when he needs to,” Michael said hopefully.

“I guess…maybe,” Sydney said wearily as she rubbed her brow. “I guess I’m just too worn out to think about it.”

“C’mon,” Michael said, nodding towards the bed, “let’s take a little nap before lunch, okay? I know I could use one.”

“Alright,” Sydney said with a soft smile. Michael smiled back as he shed the jeans he was wearing. Then, the two of them climbed beneath the sheets of the bed and cuddled close together. Michael tucked his arm around Sydney’s waist, and pressed a gentle kiss onto the back of her neck before settling back against the pillow beneath him.

While Michael, in his tired state, fell asleep almost immediately, Sydney stayed awake, listening to the sounds of his breathing, all the while fighting her tears. The fact that Michael even suspected for one second that she wanted a break from their marriage terrified her beyond words. She could not even begin to imagine her life without her husband; she could hardly stand one night apart let alone a lifetime. Never would she consider leaving him. Well, perhaps she would if something drastic happened, but not under normal circumstances, and certainly not while she was just feeling a little sleepy. She was tired, not insane. He was her world; she loved him more than anything. They would simply have to fight their way through this little speed bump in their lives together. After all, they had had a rather turbulence free marriage up to that point. Sure, they had their occasional tiffs, but they never had a huge blow up fight, or an earth-shattering incident that affected their whole lives. It appeared that this was going to be the first, but certainly not the last, thing they would have to make it through. And they would, too; Sydney had faith that they would.

With this comforting thought in her head, Sydney finally allowed her body and mind to relax and she drifted off to sleep with her husband’s warm body nestled beside her.

No loving.... (at least not yet) :rolleyes: haha... I guess I can give them a break and make them sleep first

With this comforting thought in her head, Sydney finally allowed her body and mind to relax and she drifted off to sleep with her husband’s warm body nestled beside her

*Sigh*... Just imaging you and MV hugging... :blush: tsk!!!! Sorry, can't help it... I don't wanna work... so I'm pouting :angry:

That's all really pretty, Sydney but there are still 17 chapter to go. Bwahhahaha
I'm kidding, I do feel for them. Michael's idea seems nice!

Aww poor Michael and Syd! Hopefully they can come up with a good solution for helping Henry, but first get some rest and spend some quality time together.
Great update

awww poor syd and vaughn
have they tried gving henry those like big kid pull ups??!
one of the boys i babysit for wears them and hes like 7
they def need to come up with a solution!
aweosme update
loved it
cant wait for more!!

Having to look at it from Vaughn's POV, Sydney will have to realize what she said and what she did, did give the impression she wanted a break from their marriage. She needs to make sure in the future, she doesn't give the wrong impression.

Also, it seems, Michael has come up with a logical solution to the bedwetting problem.

Chris

At the beginning of the chapter I was worried, but you kinda made it alright by the end. Still a long ways to go however. Its nice that they both know where they stand with each other and that they still love each other.

Chapter 8
After sleeping for a little over an hour, Sydney and Michael awoke to the mutual growls of their stomach. They freshened up in the bathroom before heading down to the inn’s dining area to find themselves some lunch. Since it was a little after one pm, the high traffic lunch crowd was beginning to dissipate, and Sydney and Michael were seated immediately. They scanned the menu for a few moments before deciding on their meal and placing their order with the waiter.

“You know,” Michael began softly as he leaned toward his wife, “that bathtub in the bathroom upstairs looked pretty nice.”

“Oh I know,” Sydney smiled at him. “I already took a bath in it last night.”

“Well maybe you and I could take a bath in it tonight,” he suggested with a rather wicked grin.

“Michael!” Sydney laughed, turning pink at the fact that they were discussing such an intimate subject in a public place.

“What? I was serious,” he continued, grin never leaving his face for a moment.

“Alright, well I’ll think about it,” she informed him. Taking that as a sign that he would be able to coax her into it, Michael leaned back in his seat still smiling.

After the two of them were finished with their lunch, they went for a walk by the lake, reminiscing about the last time they vacationed at that same spot. In Sydney’s opinion, it was the perfect afternoon, exactly what the two of them needed.

Due to an afternoon of persuading, Sydney finally agreed to join Michael in a bath right after they ate dinner in the inn’s dinning room once more. She was rather skeptical about the whole idea, but as she stood in the steamy bathroom, watching Michael pour in the bubble bath they purchased at the hotel’s gift shop, she began to rethink it entirely.

Michael glanced up at her as he was checking the water’s temperature and nearly laughed. “Syd, are you blushing?! We’ve been married for twelve years, what the hell is there to blush about?”

“I’m not blushing because you’ll see me naked,” Sydney said with a slight eye roll. “I’m just… not so sure about the bath.”

“Why? It’s gonna be great, and relaxing,” he grinned before pulling his shirt over his head and tossing it playfully at her. She grumbled at him and dumped his shirt onto the chair in the bathroom. The two of them shed their clothes before climbing into the warm water and sinking down into it, Sydney in front of Michael.

“This is great right?” Michael asked, running his soapy hands from Sydney’s shoulders all the way down her arms to her hands.

“Well, it’s a little cramped,” she said honestly, trying unsuccessfully to shift in the tight space.

Behind her, Michael grumbled. “C’mon Syd, relax; enjoy the bubbles,” he said, before coating the tip of her nose with a finger full of them. She laughed and batted his hand away before rubbing her nose free of soap.

Michael picked up a washcloth from the edge of the tub, dipped it in the water, and then began running it across Sydney’s back and shoulders. As he was doing this, the recollection of the very first time they shared a bath floated into his mind. He could not help but laugh aloud at the memories of many years earlier. Naturally, Sydney asked him what was so funny and he had to explain. “Oh I was just remembering our first bath…”

“Oh god,” Sydney groaned and covered her face at the memory, which was much more embarrassing and strange than romantic, as well as rather humorous. Just a month shy of their one year anniversary, Michael and Sydney were celebrating their first Valentines day as a couple. Michael got it in his mind that a romantic bubble bath filled with rose petals would be the best way to celebrate the occasion. Sydney, on the other hand, was incredibly skeptical about this idea. For starters, she had never shared a bath or a shower with anyone, not even Michael. Secondly, she and Michael had only taken their relationship to the next level barely two months prior, on Christmas Eve. Since it was only the second intimate relationship for her, third for him, they were still getting used to each other in that respect. Michael was relentless, though, and Sydney agreed to the bath against her better judgment.

On the night of February fourteenth, Sydney nervously shed her clothes and secured a robe around her body while Michael readied the bathtub in his apartment, which was certainly not designed for two. Standing in the bathroom, Sydney was completely confused as to how they would both fit in the small space. Michael suggested that they get in the tub facing one another, one of them at each end of the tub. Sydney insisted that she needed to be in the back of the tub, though, because the drain disgusted her. Michael rolled his eyes, but obliged none the less.

With pink cheeks, they climbed into the tub and settled into the water, which, in Sydney’s opinion, was a bit cooler than she would have liked it. After just a few minutes in this position, however, Michael insisted that they needed to move; the faucet was digging into his spine. They tried two more positions in the bath tub, each worse than the previous, leaving them no leg room at all. Finally, Michael admitted that the bath idea was a mistake and they abandoned it entirely.

While at the time it was not funny at all, in retrospect it was hilarious, and both Sydney and Michael were laughing so hard they could hardly sit upright in the tub. “God that was terrible!” Sydney laughed. “But the best part was the look you had on your face every time that faucet stabbed you.”

“Oh yeah, that was hilarious,” Michael said with notable sarcasm.

“It was,” she grinned over her shoulder at him.

“Uh huh,” Michael said, before pulling her forward into a searing kiss.

~*~

Later that evening, just before going to bed, Michael called his parents house to check on Henry. He found that he was doing just fine, and was thrilled about ‘camping’ with his grandfather. As he hung up the phone, Michael noticed that there was no longer a large grin across his wife’s face; it had been replaced by a look of worry. “What’s wrong?” he questioned.

She shook it off, refusing to answer. Michael would not stand for this, though. He joined her beneath the covers, slipped his arms around her and posed his question once more, requesting that she, his wife, explain what was going on. “I think I’m pregnant,” she admitted quietly.

“What?” he almost gasped; he had not been expecting that answer at all.

“I think I’m pregnant,” she repeated a bit louder that time. “And I… and I don’t know what to do. I mean, I don’t know if I can handle a baby and Henry. We’re not getting any sleep as it is and I…I…,” she stammered, unable to continue as tears took over.

Michael hugged her a bit tighter, unsure of what to do to make it better. “Well I…are you sure? I mean, do you want me to go out and get you a test because I will.”

“No, no,” Sydney whimpered and shook her head. “No, I don’t want to know right now. Let’s just…let’s just sleep, okay?”

“Okay,” Michael agreed with a nod. He pressed a long kiss onto her forehead before switching off the lamp beside their bed and settling down to sleep with Sydney in his arms.

I've come to the conclusion that it's Michael who is the romantic one of the couple.

Also, Sydney isn't happy that she may be pregnant- especially about having to take care of a baby and Henry. Now, I'm not sure if she feels that way because of Henry's bedwetting problem, or of having to take care of two children. A baby is going to be a lot of work and sleepless nights despite Henry's problem.

Chris

I dunno, but someone needs to smack Syd and bring her back to reality. I mean Vaughn drove all the way there to be with her after she didn't want him there at first. He is trying so hard with her and giving 110% and isn't giving anything in return. Vaughn is the only one trying in this relationship, Syd is just making the issues all about her. This is seriously 1 big train wreck.

I agree that Michael is the romantic one in the relationship. They definitely have some issues that they need to work on in their relationship with each other and as a whole family with Henry.
Great update

I knew that this was going to come, since Sydney felt fuzzy when she arrived... I just didn't want to point it out just in case I was getting my hopes up too high (I tend to do that quite too often) :rolleyes:

It's sweet though that she's having another baby on one hand, and then on the other... is it really the right time? I though doubt that Sydney would go against the baby... after all they love each other and are married. It sure might be a bumpy road...

maybe Henry's bed-wetting will stop if he realises that his parents are back to their happy-self again :thinking: dunno though...

Michael sure is romantic... setting a bath and all :blush:

If she is pregnant that is going to add so much stress!
She is going to need more sleep!
Oh I wish this Henry problem had a solution.

Back