Half Races

Seeria

Cadet
From mmorpg.com's latest interview

Humans, an Ilvari (elvan) and a feline race. The screen has a triangle where you can play with a morph slider. The closer you move to each corner of the triangle, the more you look like that race. Thus, you can be half-Human/half-Ilvari, etc
----------------------------------

SWEET!!!!!!!

That makes me wonder. Where did the "little people" go. Not that I was planning on playing as a stoneborn, but the addition helps diversify things. I am guessing they just didn't implement them in the demo but does anyone else know?

Still liking what I hear for the most part. :D

Originally posted by thedarcynumbers@May 10 2006, 09:20 PM
That makes me wonder. Where did the "little people" go. Not that I was planning on playing as a stoneborn, but the addition helps diversify things. I am guessing they just didn't implement them in the demo but does anyone else know?

I can never make an official statement, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Goat

I was wondering about our tiny friends too. The fact that they aren't featured at this E3 leads me to believe that a beta launch isn't in the very very near future. I'm pleased with what little E3 info we've been given so far though.

Originally posted by HJ-Goat+May 10 2006, 09:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HJ-Goat @ May 10 2006, 09:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-thedarcynumbers@May 10 2006, 09:20 PM

I can never make an official statement, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Goat[/b][/quote]
Okay then I suppose I am unofficially not too worried. :P

Originally posted by Faemus@May 10 2006, 02:33 PM
I was wondering about our tiny friends too. The fact that they aren't featured at this E3 leads me to believe that a beta launch isn't in the very very near future. I'm pleased with what little E3 info we've been given so far though.
This worries me... Lots of things are planned around E3s- Betas, Releases.. etc.

For a game with very little financial backing going towards marketing (nowhere near Blizzard or other major MMORPG companies) how do they plan to market the game if it's release isn't until next year?

The only answer I can come up with is a Post-E3 07 release, which I hope isn't true. But otherwise, how on earth would they get their name out without having a full-fledged game to show off in front of tons of people? Fliers around the neighborhood? Doubtful.

I'm not sure, but time will only tell. Simutronics isn't poor by any means. You have to remember they are selling their engine now as well which will bring in a lot more revenue.

I want to be half man...half feline! Kitty man! With the power of purring! The warrior of whiskers! And the herald of hairballs. Beware my might. Meow!

lol not. :rolleyes:

Thread is slowly being hijacked... lol

I'm not worried about the marketing side of this game. Look at Sony who poured over 2 million into EQ2's marketed and still is not on top nor doing great. Blizzard didn't go all out for WoW and look at it's numbers. Warhammer is doing very little advertising and we all know it's gonna rake in the numbers because of it's huge already established player base.

Sim's has a playerbase already. From what I've seen, games can run just fine with a good 20k population. Sure that won't pull in tons of money like having a million subscribers but it will keep the game moving if not thriving.

The screen has a triangle where you can play with a morph slider. The closer you move to each corner of the triangle, the more you look like that race. Thus, you can be half-Human/half-Ilvari, etc

Would this half-ling race be stricly restricted to looks or would the stats be affected also?

And think about the RP possibilities with half races....like the Kitty man (hehehe) he would have to be a warrior wheither he wanted to or not. The elves would look down on him and the Suwari (the feline race) would not like it that he was a half breed....Kewlness

I like the idea and hope they make it more than you can be a, b, c, d, e, ...

Seeing a character that looks very human with a slightly kitty looking nose is great and probably would generate more In Character conversation. Also gives roleplayers more to base their char history on.

Can anyone imagine what an Ilvari/Stoneborn would look like? I can imagine in the RP aspect it would be the most hated half-breed of all. However, their should be a plus to staying full-breed as well :smiley:

My question is, what if you are a decendent of many? I want to be a mutt... end up being that outcast hermit living out among the rocky slopes far away... Can you only slide between two races? are somewhere among them all?

3/8 Stoneborn
1/8 Burian
1/4 Suwari
1/4 Ilvari

<ponder>

~ Jaraeth

The morph slider makes me think that there is little difference between the races as far as stats/abilities...that it's pretty much just for looks. Which would be in line with how they treat clothing.

I'll admit that the thought of morphing suwari with anything else unsettles me.

Has anyone else played Oblivion? Probably a dumb question..I'm sure most of us have. The cat-people race they have is really bizarro/weird looking at many angles, and when you go to customize it, it customized the face in *human* ways, not in feline ways.

I was hoping that HJ, with the very not-human cat people (they are so adorable) would have customization that was appropriate for cats. That it wouldn't be a hackjob of apply human customization to a feline face and somehow thinking that's all there is to it.

But if you can morph to create a half-breed...maybe the customization methods are the same for all races (like with Oblivion), and thus HJ will, like every other game with feline people, drop the ball in feline customization.

*worriedly chews on fingernails*

"My question is, what if you are a decendent of many? I want to be a mutt... end up being that outcast hermit living out among the rocky slopes far away... Can you only slide between two races? are somewhere among them all?

3/8 Stoneborn
1/8 Burian
1/4 Suwari
1/4 Ilvari

<ponder>

~ Jaraeth "

Having a background in Biology, I dont even want to THINK about that, LOL! :lol:

<breaks out the family photo album>

This is Great Grandma Thrash, she was 100% Suwari, who married her next door neighbor, Great Grandpa Boris, a Stoneborn.

:P

~ Jaraeth

Don't worry too much about race options yet. :smiley:

What we showed at E3 was limited due to time constraints.

We recently redesigned our character system (from a technical/art standpoint) so that characters render faster on the client, and the artists took the opportunity to create awesome new armor and stuff. But there wasn't time before E3 to get the other races in, so we went to the show with Human, Ilvari and Burian.

The difference between those three races, technically, is the length of a few bones and the overall shape of the mesh. Suwari though, have a different skeleton, completely different animations, and fur rather than skin. Morphing between Suwari and Humans would be a much bigger challenge, and the results might be hideous.

Which isn't to say we might not *try* it -- but I don't see us compromising the look of purebred Suwari to make it feasible.

As for the gameplay effects of race: interpolating between "NPC Bob can relate to you" and "NPC Bob fears and distrusts you", or between "5% penalty to stealth" and "5% bonus to stealth" is *easy*. So I'm not sure why people would think morphing implies no gameplay difference between races.

If anything, the "look the way you want" design philosophy might have already decided that all races are on an equal footing as far as stats go... I honestly don't know, I just write code :smiley:

Back