Naming your weapons.

F

frostydf2

Something that would add a bit more customize to the game would be to name your weapon. This way, weapons could actually become famous in a sense.

Where at the start of the game someone names a weaopn, and thus over time enables it to become extremely powerful by leveling it up, and putting very rare Wyr in it. They name it 'Memory' for some reason or another, i just picked a name, and it could even have a backstory as well.

Well, what do you think?

Also, note...

Sword of Shannara
Blade of Narsil
etc...

Maybe instead of it being every weapon is nameable, it should be a reward for a quest. Possibly etching the name into the weapon. That would be a bit more fair, and easier to balance, and keep ahold of.

I love this idea as long there was some way to regulate what people named their items. If you think people are bad when it comes to naming characters I could only image how it'd be when naming weapons.

"Super Duper Pooper Scooper"

If names had to be approved first I'm all for it! Maybe another idea would be to have huge preset lists of adjectives and such you could attach to your weapon, either as prefixes, suffexes, or both. Of course the list would have to be fairly extensive in to allow a lot of customization. And I like the idea of questing for this as well.

Originally posted by z80@May 17 2006, 10:19 AM
I agree if every rusty piece of junk weapon was nameable it would overload the database.
Hrm... I'll dispute this (at this time).

Most weapons are just that... a Type/Class of weapon. with each one of those having different names and values. (Sword = Broadsword, Cutlass, Scimitar... etc)

Changing the name of the thing shouldn't cause too much hassle since that weapon would "still" be in it's class of weapons.

Each weapon will be tracked separatly already due to mod's from the attached Wyr. So changing the name shouldn't hurt things "that" much. Just a piece of code to get the name of it... which already exists.

Did that make sense?

Not saying it's going to happen or anything... but it's possible and shouldn't affect things that much.

I just want the "Shank of Smarm" as my backstabbing weapon. Or something equally as fantastic based on what weapons I can use to do that.

Czi

A named weapon should be the exception, I think.
Not only should it be a masterpiece of crafting, it should also require a lot of combat experience. The sword's, that is, not any particular character's using it. If both criteria are met, the char currently in possesion of the weapon goes on a quest and names it as a reward.
Named weapons and armor could get an additional Wyr slot.

I don't want so many chars running around with legendary named blades.
Thinking of it, exceptional named weapons and armor would work fine with the permadeath idea and open up many opportunities for (GM led) quests.

Anyway, what I really want to know if items and wyrs get 'soul-bound' to the first user.

I think a better way of naming weapons, would be for each Wyr in place to have an effect on the name, and you get a choice of names made up from the combination of Wyr. For example, you have one Wyr and a Rapier, and there are five names you can pick for the sword. You can put them in front or after the word rapier, so you could have something like Rapier of Destruction, or Destructive Rapier. If you had two(+) Wyr the name could be more complex (not necessarily longer) or more fancy pantsy.

No, you wouldn't be able to get yours named whatever you wanted, but also it would be easier on us GMs trying to make sure it is appropriate every time.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@May 17 2006, 01:44 PM
I think a better way of naming weapons, would be for each Wyr in place to have an effect on the name, and you get a choice of names made up from the combination of Wyr. For example, you have one Wyr and a Rapier, and there are five names you can pick for the sword. You can put them in front or after the word rapier, so you could have something like Rapier of Destruction, or Destructive Rapier. If you had two(+) Wyr the name could be more complex (not necessarily longer) or more fancy pantsy.

No, you wouldn't be able to get yours named whatever you wanted, but also it would be easier on us GMs trying to make sure it is appropriate every time.
Then the names wouldn't be that unique though. You would definatly see the five names over, and over. Possibly have it so it's a really late-game quest, thats tough to do so only a few people will get it every so often. Thus lessening the man-power needed to make sure the names are appropriate.

Originally posted by frostydf2+May 17 2006, 07:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 17 2006, 07:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana@May 17 2006, 01:44 PM

Then the names wouldn't be that unique though. You would definatly see the five names over, and over. Possibly have it so it's a really late-game quest, thats tough to do so only a few people will get it every so often. Thus lessening the man-power needed to make sure the names are appropriate. [/b][/quote]
True the names would not be as unique, but do you really want to seen weapons named eyepwnzj00 and nooBkIlla?

S.

What would happen if you sold or 'lost' your named weapon. If the weapon were named and then identified with your character then others would know if the weapon were no longer yours....for whatever reason. Perhaps if a named weapon were a quest result.... :confused:

Originally posted by Sabastian+May 17 2006, 08:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sabastian @ May 17 2006, 08:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by frostydf2@May 17 2006, 07:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana
@May 17 2006, 01:44 PM

Then the names wouldn't be that unique though. You would definatly see the five names over, and over. Possibly have it so it's a really late-game quest, thats tough to do so only a few people will get it every so often. Thus lessening the man-power needed to make sure the names are appropriate.
True the names would not be as unique, but do you really want to seen weapons named eyepwnzj00 and nooBkIlla?

S. [/b][/quote]
Not tyring to be rude, but re-read what I posted. I stated that it could be a LATE GAME quest that is hard to obtain so that the GM's could have the manpower to 'make sure the names are appropriate'.

I want to instead name my spear "Reiden." It will shoot lighting and chaos!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

btw....200th post. Pancakes!!!

Originally posted by frostydf2+May 17 2006, 09:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 17 2006, 09:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Sabastian@May 17 2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by frostydf2@May 17 2006, 07:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana
@May 17 2006, 01:44 PM

S.
Not tyring to be rude, but re-read what I posted. I stated that it could be a LATE GAME quest that is hard to obtain so that the GM's could have the manpower to 'make sure the names are appropriate'. [/b][/quote]
The problem is, you are still thinking in the box.

Jump outside here with me for a minute at least.

I said five as an example. If we did this it would probably be something like ten(+) for each wyr. Then combinations of Wyr (lets say 2) would lead to the 10 for both Wyr in the combination, then another 10 or so special ones. So every combination of Wyr, (lets say four now) would have a choice of 10 from wyr a, 10 from wyr b, 10 from wyr c, and 10 from wyr d. On top of that, there would be 10 from a and b, 10 from a and c, etc. And then a and b and c would perhaps lead to another more exclusive five or so.

I hope you get where I'm going on this one?

Back