Naming your weapons.

Get a weapon...Name it Boo....and then talk to it...

whole new meaning for "Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!"

:lol:

HAHA! Black humor.....not funny...just kidding...seriously....not funny.....sure is!....funny...not...is funny....yeah, thats funny.

I don't think that were saying have a name for each Wyr and Wyr Combo.

What were saying is let the character choose the name. Have to complete a quest or something, go slay some Beast spawned from the pit of hell dark fiery heart, who ravages towns and bathes in the blood of virgins and babies.

THAN the person gets to name the weapon, and have a GM approve or Disapprove of the name. If yes, your weapon is named, if not. DO THE QUEST AGAIN!!

I agree with you that having a name for the Wyr would be insanley insane.

I remember someone at Simu once saying something along the lines of every Hero/Heroine being known for the weapon as well. Where would King Arthur be without Excalibur?

1/2 of me agrees with Jon and thinks GM's should approve of it's name... the other 1/2 sees the business aspect and wonders if it'd be overloading GM's with work that can be left to roleplay. "This is my sword which I have named ..."

~ Jaraeth

I think that it wouldn't be us off-site GMs approving it, it would actually be on-site GMs.

If you've played our other games, you know everything goes through QC, and I am pretty sure having a massive list of names to choose from would be much easier than waiting (possibly) quite a while to get a name you want for your weapon looked at. And then if you had to spend the time waiting and you couldn't get that name..

I feel it would just be easier if there were names you could select from a list. It would be easier on everyone, players and GMs.

I like the idea of making up your own, but who knows if we'll even do anything remotely like this.

Originally posted by Daax@May 17 2006, 08:31 PM
HAHA! Black humor.....not funny...just kidding...seriously....not funny.....sure is!....funny...not...is funny....yeah, thats funny.
I was actually quoting a character from Baulders Gate :P

Thought about that Wyr combo thingy too, but I still don't think it would add the same unique and personal touch to the weapon, even if a weapon has 6 wyr slots and hundreds of combinations are possible.

Assume you need a really late game quest to be able to name your weapon. It shouldn't be THAT difficult to program the servers to report all preliminary names to a GM Tool once a day. A GM gets the list in the morning and approves/disapproves the new name with a single click. Disapproved names go to a blacklist and are never to be seen again. Attach a Google-Button next to the name so the GM can do a quick search for hidden meanings of the name.
Would take like 10 minutes every day, 1 hour tops. As the interserver-blacklist grows it would get even easier. And don't let the players argue.

I think there are a few things that I believe to be a necessary part of weapon names that haven't been mentioned:

I - Naming a weapon should lock in its abilities. This can be done in a number of ways: one is to fix all the wyrs just as they are, cutting off any posible weapon progression; another is to lock the abilities in a set path. So for example a flaming sword with an agility bonus could get additional fire damage and increase its bonus to agility, but not start flying about on its own. Additional powers *could* perhaps be added later on, but there has to be at the very least

All this is because famous weapons become known for something. If one names a weapon and still has the ability to add or remove wyrs at will... that (to me) wqould go contrary to the notion of fame. "That is the Blade of Yama he wields, challenge him at your own peril." "The Blade of Yama? What makes that anything more than just a sword?" "Well.... last week it was a sword that would grant anyone powers inhumane against your race, but I'm not sure what it does today.... it's just a cool name really, alright?"

II - I think the Diablo II system of having named wyrs and having them combine into words *sounds* like a great idea, but I spent far too many months in that game to be able not to suspect that there will be a "best" combination of these, and every sorceress will run around with the same staff of uber-flame skillz.

III - All the weapons resembling the template of "Sword of Somedude" only come to truly embrace their identity when "Somedude" no longer has it. One idea to create something like this is having unique quests that give the person to complete them a unique weapon like "Blade of Tedd E. Bear". Once it is completed it comes out of the database of available unique quests. The sword stays with the person to complete the quest until s/he gets killed. When that happens, two possibly things can happen:

(a) if the person is killed and no other player picks the sword up in x number of seconds, the sword vanishes from circulation and the unique quest goes back into the giant slot machine of quests a person could end up with

(B) if the person is killed and another player picks up the sword within x number of seconds.... well.... finders keepers. This way there could be unique weapons, which will build up their own history and promote player interaction (build up alliances and grudges and all kinds of other neat stuff).

That's my point of view of named weapons.

Back