On Your Porch

Title: On Your Porch
Summary: The night Sydney’s apartment burned to the ground.
Song: “On Your Porch” by The Format

These last three years, I know they’ve been hard.
But now its time to get out of the desert and into the sun,
Even if its alone.

“I can’t wait.” Sydney said happily, almost bouncing with excitement.

“Me neither. We’re gonna have a great time.” Vaughn winked at her, making her blush slightly at his insinuation.

“Vaughn…” She breathed, looking over at him. “Aren’t you the least bit excited for the beach?” She asked, hoping he felt the same joy she was feeling about their impending weekend away.

“Of course, I just think I’ll like the room better.” He smirked and looked over at her briefly. He tried to concentrate on driving; it wouldn’t be a good time to have an accident.

Sydney leaned over onto him and kissed him solidly. Michael pulled away sooner than he would have liked, but he had to focus on the road. There was plenty of time for that later. He was rushing so they could get out of Los Angeles as fast as possible.

The CIA office was like torture for him. He couldn’t show Sydney how much he cared for her there because it wouldn’t be ‘professional’. Screw being professional, he loved her, and this weekend he was going to show her just how much. Sometimes he just wanted to kiss her, right in the middle of the office to claim her as his own. One day, he would be able to. If he tried that now, Jack probably wouldn’t be very happy.

This weekend he planned on proposing to her. Hopefully, she would say yes. He had already asked Jack’s permission, and though he was less than thrilled, he saw how happy Sydney was with Michael and gave them his blessing.

“Syd, you’re crazy.” He pretended to be mad about her almost making him swerve into oncoming traffic.

“But you still love me.”

“Always.” He said, meaning it deeply and with all his heart. “We’re here.” He said as they pulled up in front of her door. “I gotta run to my place and get my stuff, but I’ll be back in no time and we can be on our way.” Michael grabbed her hand and squeezed it lightly, looking longingly into her eyes.

“Okay.” Sydney gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “You sure you don’t wanna… join me?” She teased.

“Syd...” He groaned, finding it hard to say no to her.

She winked and bounced out of the car and up the steps to her door. Michael made sure she got in and turned the engine back on.

He jogged up his front steps and fumbled with his keys. He was nervous, but he wasn’t sure why because he was nowhere near Sydney. Finally getting inside, he went into his bedroom to pack.

Shirts, socks, boxers, shorts, and pants later, he zipped up his suitcase and went back to his front door. Stopping short, he smacked himself for forgetting the most important thing.
In the third drawer of his dresser, under his shirts, he picked up the small black velvet box.

Michael bent down and opened it up to make sure it was still there and his heart hitched in his chest. It hurt like hell, but his mind inaccurately thought the feeling was because of his joy of asking her to marry him.

Michael put it in his coat pocket and went back to his suitcase at the door. Something told him he was taking too long. He grabbed his keys off the counter and went off to get Sydney.

In the car, Michael’s thoughts mused over their plans for the weekend. He didn’t know if he could hold off on the small box in his pocket until the planned time. What did it really matter though? If Sydney said yes, Michael would be the happiest man on earth. He just hoped her feelings were as strong as his.

A few blocks from her apartment, he pulled over and let some fire trucks fly by, sirens blazing. He entertained the horrible thought that something was wrong and prayed that they wouldn’t turn left, onto Sydney’s street.

The moment went by in an eternity as he watched the trucks signal and make the left turn.
His body jumped in fear and desperation as he hit the gas with all his strength. His eyes widened as he turned and saw the house, her house, condensed in flames. Firefighters were screaming orders and scrambling around to put out the fire.

Michael turned off his car and got out, slowly walking towards the chaos. He couldn’t believe what was happening, after all they had been through, all their problems; she was trapped in this castle of flames. Black smoke rose to the sky and he simply stood there in the street, waiting, hoping, praying that she would come walking out the door and back into his arms.

I was on your porch,
The smoke it sank into my skin.

{Fin}

Thanks For Reading, I'll post the sequels when they're done.

I love it!! Stories that have more to do with an actual Alias scene are my favorite!!

Post sequel soon!! Please pm me when you do!!

I love it!! Stories that have more to do with an actual Alias scene are my favorite!!

Post sequel soon!! Please pm me when you do!!

ohh it's so sad... :(
but i love how you describe Vaughn's feelings when he saw her house burned down...
thanks for the PM
can't wait for the sequel :jump:

That was so lovely, in as much as Syd dying in a house of flames can be lovely, but yeah it was nice- if you know what i mean :smiley: I really liked it. Thanks for posting :smiley:

Back