Open Your Eyes

aliasjunkie4ever said:
Nah I can't say I hate school...I mean, I hate aspects of it. Such as waking up early every morning and going to bed late...things like that. But school? If you were to ask me what "school" was, I would have to say seeing all my friends, because that's what makes school worthwhile. Am I right? hehe. Just my opinion :P School's not all that bad. But homework? I could DEFINATLEY do without it. But I don't have any on Wed. nights. Maybe I can get SOMETHING done ;)
That's very true...at the moment though, I certainly do hate school. But I do understand what you're saying. I say ban homework. We go to school to learn...we shouldn't have to bring school back home with us. :Ph34r:

Anyways...enough of my rant. I hope school's going well for you! :smiley: *hug*

AAAH! It's been forever!!!! Honestly, I've had this chapter written for a long time, but I didn't post it, because I wasn't sure it was going the direction I wanted it to. I haven't had much time to decide though, so I'm just winging it. This is for all of you who just haven't given up on this...

Hope is was worth the wait. Sorry it's not a very, happy and joyful chapter. That comes later. I promise!!

Enjoy :smiley:

---

Chapter 18 Painful Departures

Elizabeth jumped as she heard the door fling open. Dave and Camille were home. She quickly went to greet him but backed away when she saw the grim look on his face.

“David, what’s wrong?” she asked as she looked back and forth between her husband and daughter, whom he has just picked up from school.

“We need to talk,” David said firmly. As if Camille knew what was about to happen, she quickly went to her bedroom.

“Okay then, let’s talk,” Elizabeth said when she heard Camille’s door shut.

“I know I’m busy. I’m the Vice President of the second largest media company in the world.” Elizabeth nodded and Dave continued. “But that does not mean my role as a father should be replaced.”

A look of question came into Elizabeth’s eyes, as she stayed fixated on Dave.

“Oh, don’t tell me you don’t know what I’m talking about.” Elizabeth was still oblivious. “I’m talking about Michael Vaughn, who Camille conveniently calls Mr. Mike now. I’m talking about every time I try to do something with my daughter she compares it to what Mr. Mike did with her. I’m talking about...” He began to raise his voice as Elizabeth silenced him with her hand.

“He’s not taking your place, Dave. He and Sydney are my friends and they really enjoy spending with Camille. A lot of times, you and I are busy and the Vaughn’s are someone I can count on to take care of Cami as if she were...theirs.” Elizabeth breathed deeply. She was in fact, his, but she couldn’t very well tell Dave that.

“Oh, and I suppose they have because obviously Michael is more of a father to her than I am.”

The phone rang, pausing both of their breathing momentarily. When it didn’t ring again, they knew Camille had picked it up.

“My word David. The Vaughn’s are nice people. I don’t know what you have against...”

She was interrupted by a small voice. “Mom?” Camille said as she handed her the phone. Elizabeth took it and looked at Dave, telling him to stay put.

“This is Elizabeth Ros...”

“Liz, its Michael.”

“Oh, hey,” she said, shooting a glance towards Dave, but he wasn’t paying attention.

“Sydney had the baby.”

Elizabeth’s mind instantly clicked with shock, terror and joy.

“Holy sh – you’re kidding me? How is she? How’s the baby?”

“She’s fine now. The baby is too early to tell. His name is Henri.”

Elizabeth practically squealed in Vaughn’s ear. “It’s a boy!” When Mike and Sydney had found out the baby’s sex, the only person they told was Sydney’s father. Elizabeth had been sure it was a boy all along. “Congratulations, Michael,” she said before wiping a tear away.

Dave looked up at her comments, but now she was reluctant to notice.

“Is Syd there? Can I talk to her?”

“Actually, she’s sleeping, but I was hoping you could be here when she woke up...just to surprise her. I’ve called several other people too.”

“Oh, that’d be great.”

“Dave and Cami are welcome to come. I know Syd would love that.”

“I’ll see if they can. I’ll be there for sure, so I’ll see you soon?”

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye.” Elizabeth hung up the phone and approached Dave. “Sydney had her baby. I thought we could go up there and show our support.”

“You know Elizabeth, it would be really nice if you showed me half as much courtesy as you show your friends.”

Leaving her speechless, David stood up, grabbed his keys and slammed the front door. A tear rolled down Elizabeth’s cheek as she heard his car drive away.

“Come on Cami,” she called through the hall. We’re going to the hospital.

-----

Elizabeth knocked quietly on the door of the hospital room. Vaughn welcomed her in, making sure she and Camille stayed quiet.

Elizabeth greeted the others that were there. Some she knew, others she did not. They all talked quietly, until Vaughn noticed Sydney stir.

“Okay guys. I think she’s waking up.”

Vaughn walked over to Sydney and gently brushed her hair out of her face. She opened her eyes and they stared into his. She saw movement from the corner of her eye and quickly turned her head to see where it came from. What she saw surprised her and thrilled her.

Standing in front of her uncomfortable hospital bed were the people that meant so much to her. Elizabeth and Camille Roswell, Will Tippin and Francie Calfo, who were still an item, Eric Weiss, and, at last she spotted Lyndsey Bails. She was standing in front of Weiss and his arms were wrapped around her. They had taken to each other almost immediately after Lyndsey began as an agent. They were dating by the next week.

“Well, hello!” Weiss suddenly shouted, scaring all of them.

Sydney smiled a large grin as everyone came towards her to show their love and support.

“We got to see Henri through the glass, Sydney. He’s beautiful,” Francie commented as she gave her a gentle hug.

“Thank you,” Sydney replied.

The group talked for hours about everything from being parents, which Sydney and Michael were the first of the group to do, to teaching the boy how to play hockey like his father. This subject made Sydney and Michael somewhat uneasy, knowing their son may not be normal.

As the conversation died down and Camille commented on the noisy crickets, Will stood up with a cheeky look on his face.

“Before everyone leaves, I...Francie and I, have something to say.” He glanced at her and smiled, then put out his hand gesturing for her to come to him. She did, and he took her left hand and held it higher than her head. Sydney gasped at the large diamond on her finger and then smiled and then cried. Her best friends were getting married...to each other! “I’m sorry to take the attention off of you guys, Mike and Syd, but I really needed to get this out,” Will continued.

Sydney laughed. “Will, don’t be sorry. Congratulations you guys. I’m thrilled for you,” she said with an even larger smile than before. She hugged the newly engaged couple and they said their goodbyes as they exited the hospital room. Not long after, Weiss and Lyndsey decided it was getting late and they went on their way also.

Camille was falling asleep in the large chair when Elizabeth stood up to leave. Sydney stopped her.

“Elizabeth thanks for coming.”

“Sure. I was happy to.”

“Liz, what’s wrong?” Sydney said putting her hand out.

“What do you mean? Nothing’s wrong...” she lied as she walked towards Sydney’s outstretched hand.

“Where’s Dave?”

Elizabeth couldn’t take it anymore. She couldn’t hide it. Tears fell down her face and hit the floor silently as Sydney tried to comfort her.

“Dave got upset about you guys spending so much time with Camille or something. I think she just kept talking about you,” she pointed at Michael, “in the car and it just threw him over the edge.”

“Oh, Elizabeth. Maybe you should tell him that...”

“What? I should tell him that Michael is Camille’s real father and that’s why she’s practically taking his place? I don’t think so.”

“Well, maybe there’s some other way.”

“No, Sydney. There is no other way. I think...God I hate to say this, but I think our friendship has to end now. It’s putting a strain on my marriage. I’m really sorry,” Elizabeth said through tears. She walked over and gently woke Camille up and walked out of the room without saying goodbye.

Vaughn and Sydney looked back and forth at each other and Elizabeth.

“I told you we shouldn’t have gotten involved,” Vaughn said as he ran his fingers through his already matted hair.

“But you wanted to Michael. You were the one that wanted to spend time with this child as much as possible. And Elizabeth gave you the chance.”

“But, damn it. Why’d she have to invite us to that hockey game? She set us up from the beginning. She set us up for failure.”

“Michael, she’s going her separate way because of her marriage. Not us. Everything isn’t about you,” Sydney said before rolling her eyes and looking away from him.

“Oh come on. Open your eyes Sydney! She was doing this just to get me away from her in the first place. She knew that I figured it out, and she wanted to be rid of us for good. This is the perfect excuse.”

“Oh, and she decided to play this game for, what, 4 months? Elizabeth isn’t like that. I think she yearned for her daughter to have a relationship with her real father, no matter how hard it would be to make it. Did you ever stop to think how uncomfortable that was for me?”

Vaughn shook his head and slapped his hands together. “No. I didn’t. Because I thought you would say something if you didn’t approve of it.”

Sydney scoffed. “You are kidding me right? Don’t you think it was a little uncomfortable to watch my husband create this relationship with his daughter, the result of a one-night stand 8 years ago? Not to mention, you got pretty damn close to Elizabeth; almost too close for my liking. I don’t blame Dave for having problems with it. And frankly, I’m glad its over. Because I had a problem with it too.”

Vaughn turned around and walked away from the bed. He went over the window and looked outside. He noticed they were high up, on the thirteenth floor. Sydney was right. He hadn’t even thought about her for one moment. All he cared about was himself and creating something he had wanted, all for himself. He had forgotten the mere fact that he had moved on. He had chosen to move on eight years ago. He had chosen to put it in his past, and it had crept back into his life and he hadn’t even bothered to ignore it. Instead, he compromised his life now by trying to recreate the past. And it hadn’t gotten him anywhere.

“I’m so sorry, Sydney. I never meant to hurt you or anyone. I just...I was just selfish. I’m sorry.” He walked back over to her and stood beside her bed.

“Michael, you’re a father now. A real father, and you are going to have to learn to be selfless. You are a married man too. You can’t always think about yourself.”

“Okay,” Vaughn said as he took her hand in his. He squeezed it, and she squeezed back and they both smiled. Vaughn leaned down and kissed her forehead lightly as he heard the door open.

“Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn?” the doctor said as he entered the room. “I need to speak with you both.”

OMG why did you stop!!!I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!! i hope Henri will be ok :eek: you are such an amazing writer!! :woot: thanks for the pm I LOVED the chapter i was lost at first but then i started to remember. :blush:

i caught up on the cliffhanger chap? that sux... can i plz get a PM? i luv this so u betta post more soon - gr8 chap btw

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't leave us there!!! not after our LONG patient wait!!! grrr!!!

okay now that i got that outta my system :0) great up date and thanks for the pm!

i can not believe i missed you posting it!!! i only look here by chance and i am so glad i did. that was a good chapter i don't know what you were talking about i'm sure you'll figuer out how to point it in the right direction- you always do.
keep posting
L

Aww Courtney, don't cry!! :hug:

I'm glad you guys haven't -all- deserted this. ^_^ I have part of the next chapter written. I'll work on it as much as possible, I promise!

Thanks for reviewing and if you asked for a PM, you'll receive one! :smiley:

Back