Open PvP or no?

No question avaiable to import.

• Total voters
F

frostydf2

Well, what do you like? Zoned PvP where certain zones are open for everyone to duke it out. Open PvP where everyone kills eachother whever, whenever. Or No PvP... you always got owned

What is it?!

I come from Lineage 2, which was the best pvp game I have ever played. Being able to kill anyone any where really let me strike down those who dared to get in my way!

I can't really fit to any one of those options, besides I'm pretty sure there will be different servers for every gamers needs for PvP

lol yeah it would supa off da chain if the devs arranged tournys every once in a while like class and lvl specific and the winner of each would get a prize and then they have 1 where anyclass could enter but lvl specific and the winner gets a bigger prize

I always prefered having all out pvp on different servers . but on the regular ones just have it during certain events such as guild wars, personal challenges and things of that nature. that way you can enjoy the game with out someone 30 levels above you clearing you out all day. and still have a seperate server to go to for your pvp needs when the desire sets in.

hopefuly wel get to have chars on multiple servers though if they do go that route.

Originally posted by sial@Apr 14 2006, 09:23 PM
I always prefered having all out pvp on different servers . but on the regular ones just have it during certain events such as guild wars, personal challenges and things of that nature. that way you can enjoy the game with out someone 30 levels above you clearing you out all day. and still have a seperate server to go to for your pvp needs when the desire sets in.

hopefuly wel get to have chars on multiple servers though if they do go that route.
I have to agree with that, but it's always fun to be the guy 30 levels higher :smiley:

Personally, I'd like Selected or Consensual PVP, where you have to make the decission to go PVP active (like flagging in WoW). But that's not an option in the poll.

Originally posted by HJ-Rowell@Apr 16 2006, 04:25 PM
Personally, I'd like Selected or Consensual PVP, where you have to make the decission to go PVP active (like flagging in WoW). But that's not an option in the poll.
I need to start putting polls on the website.

The idea of consensual pvp like in WoW is exactly what i would prefer for a game like HJ. Im not too sure how large some zones will be, which makes it really hard to decide the best pvp option.

And the idea of arenas should just be implemented cause its bad ass. There should always be a place where you can pvp without losing something (quality points, xp, anything) and still have some gain like a faction point or something. I would love to hear more on what Simutronics plans to do with pvp cause that makes or breaks a game. I guess ill just have to wait like the rest :(

Originally posted by Ocius@Apr 20 2006, 05:38 AM
The idea of consensual pvp like in WoW is exactly what i would prefer for a game like HJ. Im not too sure how large some zones will be, which makes it really hard to decide the best pvp option.

And the idea of arenas should just be implemented cause its bad ass. There should always be a place where you can pvp without losing something (quality points, xp, anything) and still have some gain like a faction point or something. I would love to hear more on what Simutronics plans to do with pvp cause that makes or breaks a game. I guess ill just have to wait like the rest :(
From what I have been told. The PvP in Simutronics is completely unique with the MMORPG market. I was also told that they wont tell anyone what they are doing becuase of what they are going to be accomplishing with it. So hopefully it'll be something fun, unique, and exciting! With multiple types of PvP. Whether its concensual, or a gank.

I would love to see open pvp that is done right for once. I usually prefer no pvp because most pvp in mmorpgs just plain stinks.

Open pvp adds to immersion, but in most games it encourages griefers, gankers, and all sorts of jerks. To take out most of this element, and make open pvp enjoyable, an mmorpg needs a balanced system of risk versus reward.

Possible Risks/Rewards:
Mystery Level
I think a person's level shouldn't be displayed to other players, and is only available by asking a person their level. A lot of PKers are simply cowards looking for amusement or an illusion of superiority, and get it by killing low leveled PCs. A lot of griefers would get deterred because they wouldn't be able to tell from sight alone who the low leveled people are. HJ excells in this, because armor is no longer an indicator of level either.
Law Enforcement
Both NPCs and PCs should take roles in the punishment of those who kill PCs in non war/duel settings. If a person gets killed by a PKer (not including consentual battles) then an NPC related to law enforcement should put out a wanted poster and reward on the PKer. People could then kill that PKer without fear of retribution from the law and get a reward on top of it.
Corpse Looting
With the first two ideals in place, this could actually be interesting. Grabbing a person's armor and weapon seems like it would be pointless in this game, but there is always money or other items. This will encourage more bandit/thug people, but it would also encourage others to enforce the laws as well.
Prestige
Lets face it. For some people out there, it'd be fun to be known as Gormax, Slayer of 1000 Men. I don't think this should be displayed on the character themselves, as I am personally against having people's names, titles, equip, etc being displayed by looking at a person or by /check them. It would be extremely cool to hear NPCs in a tavern talking about the most recent bandit king though, or the brave knight who took out five highway robbers all on his own. Good roleplay in that sort of thing.

I think this type of open PVP would really help to encourage roleplaying, but only if properly implemented. It would be cool to see people break off into non-ingame factions, like bandit and knight guilds. Well done open PVP also would provide gamers with a more interesting and realistic environment. Up to this point I can't think of any open pvp that has been realistic, simply because the risk didn't make sense or wasn't "risky" enough.

I realize what I ask for would probably be pretty difficult to design. If it can't be done, then I'd prefer consensual pvp only.

Law Enforcement
Both NPCs and PCs should take roles in the punishment of those who kill PCs in non war/duel settings. If a person gets killed by a PKer (not including consentual battles) then an NPC related to law enforcement should put out a wanted poster and reward on the PKer. People could then kill that PKer without fear of retribution from the law and get a reward on top of it.
All in all great idea, and it has been thrown around in many MMORGP's. The only problem that I see is someone creating 2 characters and PK'ing over, and over until the reward is huge, and then killing that person to gain bounty. It could un-balance the system. I think it should be like player money to go on someone elses head, and if you kill that person you gain the bounty from it.

Thus, you don't add more currency to the game that is easy exploitable, you just transfer it to the next person. I'm sure a lot of people would do this, even if it was a low bounty just for the fun of it.

I'm not much of a PvP'er. In open PvP it often comes down to the surprise factor when something invisible (yes, I hate rogues) slashes you from behind and you can hardly do something about it. Even worse if you are fighting a mob.

Organized PvP on the other hand is great. An experienced team with voice chat vs. an equally equiped foe is the most fun an MMO can offer to me.
RvR is often like open PvP, but has actually a purpose. Even there I'd like the option to opt out.
Wars between guild on the other hand is a whole other thing. As member of the guild you usually know why war was declared and probably hate your enemy from the heart.

If there are different server types, I'd choose PvE over PvP this time. WoW is a particuallary bad example for open PvP, I know, but I'm way too peaceful to ever gain from open PvP. :smiley:

I think it will be open because of the large roleplaying that will be pushed in this game. Nobody is gonna wanna roleplay a rogue or something that kindly asks it's enemy player to walk towards this pvp zone area so he can stab the guy in the back.

<votes No PvP>

PvP Zones I guess would be ok... but I much prefer /duel inside a PvE environment. I'm just the oddball type that would much prefer to stalk a mob and stab it in it's back, than another person. For one, I see myself trying to promote unity and peace, hence my upcoming guilds name "Peacebringers". There is no peace stabbing another person in the back... there is peace in times of games, like Jousting and /duel'ing.

Just my two coppers...

~ Jaraeth

I didn't vote because I like faction PVP...kinda like in WoW.

Maybe a guild war or something will open up a pvp flag for the warring factions. Normally I'm not much of a PvP guy but WoW has shown me that it can be fun...if you actually think and don't mindless attack other players :smiley:

Back